Login FAQ  
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:37 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Page 2 of 5 [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post subject: Re: [D7EN] Tall Tales
PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:29 pm 

Kenzo gave a soft murmur, almost a purr, as Utsu tilted his chin upwards, his lips parting into the kiss. But his instincts were good, and he restrained his passion, giving her a smile as she spoke those words. "Later then." He said softly. From him, it was a promise.

He chucked softly, even as he took a deep breath. "Sweet indeed." He said, shaking his head. It took him another moment or two to get back on track, his eyes lingering on Utsusemi.

"Well!" He said, his earlier, less focused enthusiasm returning. "We set off in the early afternoon, and made good time going north. It wasn't long before we made our way back to the same thing Gusai-sama found yesterday. It was a very strange little island. Nearly a perfect ovoid, with a little bump on one end, and very high walls all around. It looked rather like a turtle, I though." He took a sip of his tea, glancing at her through his lashes.

Well, the five of us managed to climb up; oh, in addition to the ones we discussed, Seppun Kaiya-sama was also there. Anyway, we made our way up the hill. Along the way, we encountered a Hiruma, if you can believe it. Said he'd been there for years." By his tone, this was only a mild curiosity.

"We talked to him a bit, and he let us know that we'd have to be careful about our ship. Because, he explained, the island was actually a giant turtle, and might try to eat the ship." He paused, looking at her expectantly, his eyes alight with excitement.

Attended House of Dawning Light
Sturdy clothing, daisho, traveling pack, ink brush kit, fan. Pistols when not ridiculously inappropriate.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:40 pm 

Utsusemi picked up her teacup, calmly letting it rest in her hands as she listened to Kenzo's story.

"... That... what?" she blinked, looking at him with a very puzzled expression.

Theme #5Profile

Honour: Exceptional • Status: 5.0 • Glory: 5.1 (Lady of the Golden Moon's Words)
Faith: Exceptional • Status: 4.0 • Reputation: 2.7 (Lady Uxue)
Languages: Rokugani, Merenaese
Has: Wakizashi, flute, notebook (new), small knife, satchel (contains medicine kit and paint supplies).

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:48 pm 

Kenzo turned to face her fully, leaning forward, his features growing more animated. "The whole island was a giant turtle!" He laughed in his excitement, hands clenching briefly into fists. "It was enormous! As big as a castle! We were on it's back, Utsu! We were on in when it began to move, to hunt!" He grinned, his whole body tense with the remembered thrill of the experience.

He laughed again, his hand briefly twitching towards her in his enthusiasm. "Oh, Utsu, I wish you could have seen it. It was magnificent! I wonder what a creature of that size eats." He suddenly went thoughtful, although his athletic frame still seemed suffused with energy. "Normal turtles eat small fish, roots, berries, that sort of thing. Large mammals are reputed to eat large quantities of small fish. I wish I'd gotten a good look at its mouth..."

Sturdy clothing, daisho, traveling pack, ink brush kit, fan. Pistols when not ridiculously inappropriate.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:01 am 

Utsusemi blinked a few more times, silently chewing on a piece of baklava as she regarded Kenzo with a mixture of concern, disbelief, and amusement.

Then she placed a hand on Kenzo's forehead, calmly checking his temperature. "Strange. You sound like you had a heat-stroke... have you been drinking sea water?!" she looked at him with some worry.

Theme #5Profile

Honour: Exceptional • Status: 5.0 • Glory: 5.1 (Lady of the Golden Moon's Words)
Has: Wakizashi, flute, notebook (new), small knife, satchel (contains medicine kit and paint supplies).

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:10 am 

"What?" Kenzo didn't shy away from her touch; his forehead was soft and cool. It wasn't the most romantic gesture, but... "Oh! No, no." He said, shaking his head, grinning. "I do suppose it sounds rather fantastical, doesn't it?"

Still smiling, he reached up, gently taking her hand, and bringing it down. "I assure you, I haven't been drinking sea-water. Or contracted some sort of jungle ailment. It was real!" He nodded earnestly, although he was managing to bring his enthusiasm under control. "We all felt it move as it went to feed. You could see the flippers move!" He subsided again. "It really was quite impressive, Utsu." He said mildly.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:14 am 

Sceptical was the most accurate description of Utsusemi's face as she tried to believe something so outlandish. It wasn't that she thought Kenzo was lying, but rather that something had happened to make him believe it. "But... how? How can a turtle grow so big without being noticed? What... what does it even eat when it's that big?"

She was having a hard time believing in island-sized turtles.

Theme #5Profile

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:27 am 

Kenzo gave Utsu a warm smile. "Both excellent questions. I'd thought of the second; I hadn't considered the first. Hmmm." He pursed his lips thoughtfully. "Perhaps it uses camouflage. It really does look just like an island, albeit a very turtle-shaped one. Of course, I can't imagine what could harm a turtle of that size..." He shrugged.

"As to what it eats... good question. Large fish? Or perhaps its adapted to scoop up many small fish, in the manner of a whale. I don't know." He admitted.

He looked at her, some of the excitement fading from his eyes. "It... may have a connection with spirits. The Hiruma mentioned being led there by foxes; no doubt some form of animal spirit." He gave her a crooked smile. "The rest all saw the same thing. If it was a delusion, it was at least a shared one." He said.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:35 am 

"Hiruma-san?" Utsusemi asked in a puzzled tone. Among the news of island-sized turtles, she had completely forgotten the Hiruma who might have travelled through time and space somehow and ended up on an island-sized turtle.

She took a long sip of her tea, secretly wishing for something stronger right now.

Theme #5Profile

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:44 am 

"Yes." Kenzo said, nodding. "Hiruma Motegi-san. There's some questions about him that will need to be followed up on. It may be that time passes differently in spirit realms. An old theory, but clearly one with some support."

Kenzo's face, watching hers, fell just a tiny bit. An exciting tale was made moreso when shared with an appreciative audience, after all, but Kenzo felt that his was falling rather flat. His lips twisted wryly. "... I suppose it must sound very strange indeed. Fox spirits and giant turtles.." He said. He look a long sip of his tea, his gaze going distant.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:48 am 

Her heart fell a little as she saw how disappointed Kenzo was with her reaction, and she hid the horrible blame she felt for having hurt him, even in such a minor way.

"Kenzo..." Utsusemi said softly, reaching for his hand with hers. "I believe you... I know you do not have it in you to lie, at least not to me... I hope."

She put on a smile for him. "I'm sorry... it's been a long day. I wish I could have seen this turtle island too, and met Hiruma-san as well."

Theme #5Profile

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:58 am 

It didn't take much. The touch of Utsu's hand brought Kenzo's gaze back, and he gave her a genuine smile. "No, no, of course not!" His smile grew warm. "I promise, Utsusemi. I won't ever lie to you." He said earnestly.

He gave her hand an apologetic squeeze. "And I didn't think you thought I was lying." He grinned sheepishly. "It really does sound a bit absurd, doesn't it? I assure you, I don't blame you at all for having some doubts." He shrugged. "Although my studies have done an excellent job of teaching me how little we actually know about the world."

It seemed the moment had passed, and he was just as happy as before.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:05 am 

Utsusemi smiled, relieved that Kenzo so easily could smile again... and a little jealous too.

"So, uhm... what was it like, on the turtle? Was it like walking on a turtle's shell, or was it covered with barnacles?" she asked with some curiosity, but also because she wanted to continue to see him smile so energetically.

Theme #5Profile

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:13 am 

In truth, Kenzo was relieved as well. He hadn't really meant to let his disappointment show, and make Utsu worry for his sake. His smile grew, his thumb gently rubbing against her palm, the gesture growing more familiar each time they did it.

"Well..." Kenzo frowned thoughtfully, thinking back. "It was definitely covered. But not with barnacles, with earth; perhaps a foot or two of it."

Kenzo's thoughtful frown deepened. "Rather curious, really, when you think about it. It had vegetation growing on it. Which would no doubt have died, and the soil washed away, if the turtle ever fully submerged. So does that mean it never submerges?" Kenzo shrugged. "That would seem to be the only logical conclusion. Perhaps something about its size prevents it from doing so. Too much air, perhaps?" He sighed. "I wish it could be studied further. If it is a part of our world, and not a spirit of some sort."

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:21 am 

"Mmm... it could be possible it is a spirit of some sort?" she mused, "it would explain such oddities. And... this Hiruma-san had been living on it?"

Utsusemi took another sip of tea, slower this time, while a fond smile was also slowly forming on her lips as she enjoyed the caress of his thumb against her palm. It was a pleasant sensation that she was getting used to.

"Maybe Ran or Berena would know about such spirits?"

Theme #5Profile

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:27 am 

Kenzo grimaced, shaking his head. "Apparently so." His lips twisted. "If you thought my story sounded strange, believe me, I thought the same about his. Truth be told, I'm not entirely certain about it. But I'll leave it to others to figure that out."

"Hmmm." Kenzo's eyebrows went up, interested. "A fine idea. Perhaps I'll confer with Ran-san, then. Berena-sama..." He shrugged. "It doesn't seem as though it would align as much with her interests."

His smile went crooked. "May I tell you something?" He asked, his thumb still gently stroking her hand. He went on. "If I discovered that the turtle was a spirit of some sort, I think I wouldn't be quite so interested."

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:33 am 

"Hm, really?" she gave him a curious look. "How come? It is not everyday one meets a giant turtle spirit. And as a spirit, it could perhaps answer many questions you might have, seeing how spirits are supposed to be clever..."

As Utsusemi mused at the possibilities of a spirit turtle, her eyes drifted a little to the baklava.

Theme #5Profile

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:41 am 

Kenzo shrugged. "It's a little difficult to explain. But... I suppose part of why I'm so fascinated by animals is because they follow their natures. And their natures are the nature of our world. In studying them, I study our world." He chuckled softly. "Spirits follow their own rules, or have their own intelligence, or so I understand it. Even if I find the form fascinating, it's simple not the same. If that makes sense."

The flicker of her eyes caught Kenzo's attention. He laughed softly. "Please, Utsu, go ahead. I got it for you, after all." His look on her grew speculative, his lips curling up playfully. "Although, it occurs to me that I've heard it said that turnabout is fair play." He reached out, deftly picking up a piece of the pastry, still watching her as he held it.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:49 am 

Utsusemi smiled as she listened to Kenzo explain why he preferred animals to spirits. She found both equally fascinating herself, but she could understand how he felt.

Seeing him pick up the pastry, her eyes widened a little. "Turnabout...?" she murmured, before realising what he meant. The blush was slowly making a comeback. "Ah... please," she chuckled, leaning forward a little, eyes on him as she waited for the treat he would probably give to her.

Theme #5Profile

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:59 am 

Kenzo took a deep breath, his gaze growing more intense. "As you wish, Utsusemi." He said playfully.

It was easy enough to mirror her gesture from before. He leaned forward a little as well, his eyes meeting hers, studying those hazel orbs, the blue flecks. Carefully, he guided the morsel to her lips... and just as carefully, he allowed his fingers to brush against those lips.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:10 am 

Utsusemi even made a cute little 'ah'-sound as she opened her mouth to accept the tasty gift. Her lips, faintly stained with a gentle pink colour, were soft to the touch against his fingers, though a little sticky as well from the most recent piece of baklava.

She held his gaze as she returned the favour from earlier, her lips wrapping around a finger as she cleaned it off the sweet honey that still remained. Her eyes lowered demurely as she moved on to the next.

Theme #5Profile

Page 2 of 5 [ 88 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next