Login FAQ  
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:20 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Page 1 of 2 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: Red & Black [EN5, Closed]
PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 4:33 pm 

Mohan was arguably quite surprised by Saionji's and Bellena's late coming to his workshop. The knocking pulled him out of bed. On the other hand, as a doctor he was quite used to. He was also a patient man, however, so after customary 'Sheikh Saaji, salaam alaikum' - 'Hakhim Mohan, alaikum as-salaam.' he was grateful to be sent back to bed. Questions could wait for tomorrow.

Past the workshop, they found themselves on a moonlit mosaiced courtyard, colourful tiles shimmering like waves with pale sheen. Saionji stopped there and looked in the face of Lord Kaleel or Lord Onnotangu, he couldn't tell.

"So she is up here now? Was the Empress' power such that she pulled her into the Heavens?"

Don Salvador de Muxaqui | Saaji ibn Mouhaqq al-Hattar | Jing Xiyuan | Sanzayun

Post subject: Re: Red & Black [EN5, Closed]
PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 4:42 pm 

Bellena walked up beside him and tilted her head, "Supposedly... that's the official line from the Throne."

Speaks: Merenaese, Mekhem, Yodotai, Rokugani, Thranish, Ujik-hai

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 4:52 pm 

"I'd like to know what the truth is. A fool's hope, I guess." He slipped into Rokugani as he glanced at her, then looked around, listening to the night. "It sounds like Mohan doesn't have too many patients now."

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 5:07 pm 

She pondered the question for several moments, “It’s a difficult thing to answer definitively. Each culture names the stars differently... some claim to have power over them, and some claim to be subject to them.. but to me there’s something somewhat distant about them. I know I often look to the stars when I think of my father... but more often than not I realize he is in me more than he is in the sky.”

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 5:14 pm 

He nodded solemnly, staring at the shimmering tiles at his feet. "Are you trying to tell me that the only truth there is on these matters is the one we choose to carry?"

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 6:38 pm 

She tilted her head, "I think there is an absolute truth... there are just limitations to what we as people can know. I can't go there and see for myself... I can fashion tools to help me get a better glimpse, but will always be limited to vision from afar. Perhaps one day there will be ways to ascertain the truth... and we must take these steps the best we can. But until then, a lot of it is hope. And hopes lead to a belief.. and belief to actions."

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:08 pm 

"And your part in this organised imagination that is her apotheosis, Bella?" He asked after a moment of giving consideration to her words.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 1:48 am 

“To pay respects to a woman I admire. To put into action a hope of mine that she, and people like her will leave an impact on this world for others to emulate.” She said.

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 2:25 am 

"So a monument or a memorial rather than a place of worship. After all you're a Kharsite." He sighed. "She had many flaws. Many, many flaws. The biggest of them was that she had been born a peasant, at least to the people she lived among, had they known. It was inconceivable to many, how the Empress' uncle who could have been an Emperor himself in different circumstances could endorse, shelter and lead criminals, traitors, peddlers, whores and gaijin into respectfulness and purpose. But he did."

Saionji swallowed and stayed silent for a moment.

"In many cases it did not outlast him. She would often reminisce how life had been good when he had been around, sharing tidbits of his vision with both of them and just sailing to the capital whenever someone took issue with our mission to talk this through with his niece or grandniece. I never knew those times. I was born to an era of uncertainty and trepidation, of struggling. Without a father I could be proud of. So she made him a model for me, acting as a bridge between a gone era and one that might come if I could follow a fraction of his dream. But would he dream it in circumstances like today's? How much can I afford to live attached to glorious past and idealistic visions, believing that what was right in their times is still right in mine? I can't escape a feeling that with their departure an era ends. Truths of their times, hopes, beliefs... they belong with them, like clothes they take to kofun or to the bottom of the sea. And I walk into the night naked."

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 2:40 am 

“What is so different about these times? What is different about your circumstances?” She asked.

“There was darkness and uncertainty then. Strife, conflict, confusion. I’m sure he had little knowledge of what he was doing... But he had friends to stand beside him and bolster him up; like Sadahako and Genjiko. You are no lesser man than he. You have that same ability to bring out the best in others. And you have faithful friends who will stay with you no matter what comes... One of those is right here. You have all he has and more because of the experiences you have been granted by his forerunning.”

She smiled and put her arm around his shoulder, “Sometimes you have to take that step into the dark to find the monsters out there to be nothing more than figments of your imagination. That you have the power within you to overcome that which you are afraid of.”

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 3:02 am 

"You should know me better than to think I am afraid of monsters. What I am scared like depths of is that I will lend my hand in slaying the wrong ones. This world needs its monsters." He looked up at Onnotangu. "Like him. A necessary, revered monster who nevertheless does not steal all light from this world. Our licenced monster. Would we be living in a better world if his firstborn had slain him? Would his wife who had given Hantei the sword forgive herself then? If they both had died, what monsters would it have given free rein to?"

He wrapped his hands around her waist and looked into her eyes, trying to smile.

"So in that story that repeats itself you are my Teodoro, the intrepid explorer from the land of rapiers and wine? Where would that lead us?"

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 3:06 am 

She looked up at him and chuckled, "Teodoro? I'm not sure that's the spot I would have envisioned for myself..."

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 3:19 am 

"Then who do you envision yourself to be in what is about to unfold, Bella? I was in Medinaat, in Khanbalik, in Aqahba and in Raksiraka. They are practically ready, and the Khagan is certain. Next year it all begins. And I have deep awareness that without me it may have been far less possible. I am responsible for it. Sheikh al-Hattar, vassal of the Grand Vizier favoured by the Khan of Khans, is responsible for it. Muhaki Saionji of the Emerald Empire is responsible for it. I don't think it can play out in a way that I won't be a villain to someone."

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 3:26 am 

She looked up at him quietly for several moments. Her eyes watched his carefully as if looking for a recognition of something that she hoped would be there.

After what seemed like a much longer span than it was she finally said, "I'm not a naval commander like Teodoro... but whatever anyone says or thinks about you... I plan to be at your side in whatever capacity I am best suited for; no matter the consequences."

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 3:45 am 

"I'd like it, Bella. I missed you." A gentle stroke of her cheek ended by grasping a strand of her hair and bringing it to the back. "But I don't know if you can. From Raksiraka I travelled alongside homebound Spice Galleon sent by Juan the Elder. We approached La Corteza but we were warned not to enter or we wouldn't be able to depart. I made a secret landfall at the Cliffs of Faro and sent men inland to learn what happened." He pressed his lips together, mulling what to say next. "All major cities have been reinforced with new garrisons of royal tercios. There have been arrests under very serious charges."

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 3:47 am 

Her eyebrows moved up in surprise, "My brother?"

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 3:53 am 

"It's what was said in La Corna, that he would be tried for treason and conspiracy against the Crown." He tightened his embrace. "Miguel is fickle. You know his prisons have revolving door. It may no longer be true."

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 3:57 am 

Bellena stood quiet for several moments as her eyes moved downwards and bounced back and forth between his shoulders as she processed the information in front of her.

After a minute of intense thought she looked up into his eyes for a moment. Looking for something there before she leaned her head gently into his sternum.

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:18 am 

In his eyes she saw a very confused and amalgamated feeling that may have contained what she hoped to find, but his body knew better nonetheless and embraced her tight, holding her close. "How is this that we must be messengers of ill tidings to each other." He kissed her hair reassuringly. "You know Bella, if you plan to be at my side no matter the consequences then we better choose wisely where my side is supposed to be."

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:23 am 

She nodded and looked up to him, "Where do you think you need to be...? The Rokugan mainland may need you... but it also may be a trap. Your 'father' is not someone that we can trust to see to our needs."

DescriptionTheme

Page 1 of 2 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next