Login FAQ  
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:31 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

Post subject: There is Research to be Done (D7 LM) OPEN
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:56 pm 

The first time he'd come here, Kenzo had been rather rushed. This time, he had significantly more time.

And so, armed with his swords, his pistols, and this time not a bee but a dried flower, he walked back into Mohan's apothecary shop, the bell ringing as he stepped inside.

Attended House of Dawning Light
Sturdy clothing, daisho, traveling pack, ink brush kit, fan. Pistols when not ridiculously inappropriate.

Post subject: Re: There is Research to be Done (D7 LM) OPEN
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:19 pm 

"Ah, Mirumoto-san. Good morning." Mohan greeted him from behind his counter where he had been crushing something in the mortar. "Has the man survived?"

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:39 pm 

Kenzo smiled, bowing. "He is, yes. Allow me to convey the thanks of all of us here in the Dragon Clan. I rather expect that Agasha Utsusemi-sama will want to thank you personally, at some point."

He hesitated a moment, and then continued. "I'm here on my own recognizance, though. I was hoping we might continue the conversation we began the other day."

Sturdy clothing, daisho, traveling pack, ink brush kit, fan. Pistols when not ridiculously inappropriate.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:41 pm 

"That is good to hear. Pass my well-wishes." Mohan was rather stoic, so he simply nodded. "Which one, Mirumoto-san?"

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 8:59 pm 

(in Yobanjin)

Kenzo's lips twisted. "I suppose there was more than one, huh?"

He shrugged. "The history of your clan is a fascinating one. But history is not my speciality." He smirked. "Actually, I was wondering what you did with that bee I brought in."

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:02 pm 

"I made a hole in the jar so it could breathe, and poured some drops of fruit juice inside so it wouldn't starve. I don't know yet what to do with it and I don't kill living things without clear purpose."

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:52 pm 

Kenzo nodded. "An attitude I agree with." Kenzo said, inclining his head. "I understand the necessity of dead specimens for study. But I much prefer live ones, for just that reason."

"Hmmmm..." Kenzo began. "I merely wondered if it might be worth further experimentation. The episode with Agasha Sanjuro-sama would seem to indicate that more can be learned from these creatures." He frowned thoughtfully. "Dead, I thought we might study its toxin. But perhaps alive, we could study how it reacts to different compounds? Perhaps a repellent of some sort could be devised."

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:26 pm 

"Serum is more likely. But if wish to dabble in the toxin itself, I might not be willing to assist." Mohan nodded stoically but with attention.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:45 pm 

(In Yobanjin)

"A serum?" Kenzo's eyebrows went up. "To counteract the toxin? Yes, that does sound like a worthwhile project." He smiled. "Agasha Utsusemi-sama has some skill in medicine. She may be interested in our results, or be able to assist."

He bowed. "And while I always support the pursuit of knowledge, I believe one must consider practical effects. I have no interest in refining the toxin, beyond what might be needed to combat it."

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:48 pm 

"Then we think alike. There are enough ways for people to hurt each other in this world to pursue developing more. Some will still do it, but I don't have to have my part in it." Mohan looked at the pistols. "I don't blame you, of course, we live in the era we do. So, you want to help me with the serum?"

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:09 pm 

(In Yobanjin)

"Agreed." Kenzo gave a firm nod. "And yes. I should like to work on that with you, if you would allow me the honor."

"Oh!" Kenzo said, blinking. "Before we start... do you know where I could find, errr... Baku-raba? It's supposed to be a pastry. It's in a different language though, so I don't know if I'm saying it right."

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:40 am 

"It is not hard to find at all, it is a popular pastry. Just go out into the Hoof. The best would be either at Atabek's or at Mustaffar's. The latter with coffee."

Mohan closed the shop and gestured upstairs.

"Let's go."

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:37 pm 

Kenzo bowed. "Thank you, Ide-sama."

He let the other man lead the way upstairs.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 1:38 pm 

Inside, there was a laboratory in some ways quite like that of Ryuden in Shiro Agasha, in other ways very different. There were animal skeletons hanging by the roof, and jars on the shelves contained things Kenzo found it better not to think what they actually were. The scent of chemical preservatives was strong in the air.

On the central table there was a complicated assemblage of heating and distilling equipment containing colourful bubbling concoctions, and this is where Mohan headed with the hornet.

"To produce serum we need to extract the venom and then weaken it to the point where a human body can learn how to fight it. Our bodies, once they recognise how to deal with many invasive factors, develop their defences that are effective in a repetitive way. Hence with diseases like pox you can be ill only once, and if you survive you are unlikely to be ill again. The problem here is that the first application of a venom is often deadly. Through his unique experience, your friend has likely developed defences already and he will be able to withstand hornet bites in the future unless he has developed an allergy."

He paused.

"The primary difference here is that chemical weakening is but one part of the process. The venom needs to be mediated by the living organism. It means we will need to apply the toxin onto some rodents and treat them like your friend was treated. Those which survive will have the antidote in their blood and spit from which we can extract it and produce a stable concoction and ointment. As you can imagine, Mirumoto-san, it's not an endeavour for one afternoon."

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 4:53 pm 

Looking up at the ceiling, Kenzo grimaced just a little bit. His dream of a few weeks ago was still fresh enough in his mind that the animal skeletons made him a bit uncomfortable.

He listened, his expression interested at Mohan spoke. "I've heard the theory before,
but I've never had the practice explained in much detail."
Kenzo said. "But I have patience, and a steady hand. I should be glad to perform these experiments with you."

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 5:25 pm 

Mohan nodded.

"Then let's begin..."

---

Kenzo has a good justification to buy skills like Animal Handling (Rats or Bees), Medicine (Antidote), Lore: Unicorn Clan, Water emphasis to Lore: Nature, Craft: Poison (Venom). After the downtime in the next session he'll acquire 5 doses of antivenom serum effective for hornet bites. Since those are up his alley for Fascination and Consumed and Unicorn medical practices are not exactly proper from Rokugani perspective, he can expend as much of his Honor as he likes to receive 1 xp for each 0.3 so expended for the purpose of those skills that up to rank 3 are treated as College skills until the end of this game (but no further). This resolves the Saving Private Sanjuro arc for him.

Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ]