Login FAQ  
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:52 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Page 2 of 5 [ 100 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post subject: Re: [D6 EA] Watch out for the Mountain Kappa
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:52 am 

Kenzo listened, his expression shifting from time to time, but still rather difficult to read.

As she finished, he swallowed. "This sounds more like a tale than anything else, Muhaki-sama." He sighed. "Or it would, if I wasn't able to fill in some of the blanks you've left. Knowing most of the players makes it considerably more of a reality." He was silent for a few moments, staring off into the distance.

He shook his head, still leaning against the rock. "I'm not sure it matters what I would think about such a prince. I'm just..." He shook his head again, but when he looked up again, there seemed to be a glint in his eyes, and a smile on his lips. "Well. Perhaps I shouldn't sell myself short." He chuckled. "But accepting all of this, I'm not sure that I see a good path forward. I rather hope that you see one?"

Attended House of Dawning Light
Sturdy clothing, daisho, traveling pack, ink brush kit, fan. Pistols when not ridiculously inappropriate.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:59 am 

She chuckled, "I've never been a great storyteller..."

She looked up to the mountain, "Now that the avalanche has started... It's hard to know how far the damage will go or if there is anything that can stop it. I will try to mitigate it the best I can; but for that I may be seen as a traitor... especially easy to do since I don't look like one of you."

Then looked back towards the East Port, "But I do know good men who can be trusted. There are some storms in life we can't avoid... but in those times I prefer to have experienced, virtuous, and talented men at the helm. People who can salvage the most from a difficult situation. The current champion of my clan is one such man... Not Zazu, the acting champion... but his son, Saionji."

Speaks: Merenaese, Mekhem, Yodotai, Rokugani, Thranish, Ujik-hai

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:12 am 

Kenzo pursed his lips thoughtfully, following Berena's gaze, first as it went up the mountain, and then as it went towards the East Port.

"I see." He said. After a moment, he let out another puff of breath. "I... think I need to speak to Utsusemi-sama about this. Even if I think the path forward seems clear to me, this sort of thing is more her domain than mine. It will be doubly-clear to her."

He rubbed thoughtfully at his chin with one hand. "Would you be willing to speak with her as well? I'll certainly relay all of this; it is my duty to do so. But she may have questions I don't anticipate."

Sturdy clothing, daisho, traveling pack, ink brush kit, fan. Pistols when not ridiculously inappropriate.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:20 am 

"I've spoken about some of it... Warned her of the Tarkhanate when I met with her yesterday. Feel free to talk to her if you'd like. My door is always open to you both... and she and I are working on this temple project together." She said as she took a drink from her canteen.

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:49 pm 

Kenzo grunted, drawing out his own container of water. Staying hydrated was important on little expeditions like this, he knew.

"The Tarkhanate... that's the Unicorn and... something else?" Kenzo asked. "I've met a few of them. Several were clearly related to the original Ki-Rin. The other was something different. I gather they must have had additions in the years since they left."

He nodded. "But yes, right, of course you spoke to Utsu-sama." He tilted his head curiously. "Did you tell her about Saionji-sama?"

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:52 pm 

She shook her head, "I didn't think I'd be able to rely on his guidance... until last night when he arrived unexpectedly."

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:57 pm 

"I see." Kenzo said, his tone interested.

After a moment, he frowned. "Ahh... there wouldn't be a problem meeting with him, would there be? Utsu-sama is connected with some of the leaders of the expedition, after all. And her safety is one of my first concerns. As her yojimbo." He added.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:06 pm 

She thought for a moment, "Possibly... though I want to make sure you understand the implications... I have no desire to subvert or incite some resistance against Jama... merely mitigate the damage that this could possibly render to the Empire. But that is not how many of his supporters will view it... or even Jama himself. Becoming acquainted with me and my friends may not have a happy ending Mirumoto-san. Even talking to someone like Saionji could be perceived as a point of concern for a man like Jama; it could cause him to doubt your loyalty to the Explorers. And he doesn't let threats to his goals go undeterred for long... I have no intention to get you or anyone I know into trouble."

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:13 pm 

"Oof." Kenzo sighed, shaking his head. For a few moments, he was silent, staring off at nothing in particular.

Finally, he shook his head, smiling as he looked at Berena. "Muhaki-sama, I seem to recall you said that you preferred the study of people to animals. Are you sure you wouldn't like to reconsider? It's a very rich area of study, believe me. And without so many unpleasant complications."

He shrugged. "I'll speak to Utsu-sama." He straightened, no longer leaning against the rock. "But... thank you for your concern." He bowed, smirking. "I shouldn't care to see you come to harm, either."

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:17 pm 

She smiled and chuckled, "I am comfortable with the path I have chosen my friend. In life that's the most we can ask for... to live a life of conscience; following the dictates of our heart and hopefully doing something positive for others before we kick the bucket."

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:29 pm 

Kenzo grinned. "An attitude I like, as I believe I've mentioned."

His expression grew more thoughtful. "I've long thought that science would be the way that I would make a positive difference. Through discoveries, better understanding, that sort of thing. Lately, I've come to realize that there are lots of ways I can do that." He smiled, shaking his head.

"Muhaki-sama..." He began, looking at her. "I feel as though we've gotten to know each other rather well. We've been shipmates, we've spoken together any number of times. Perhaps you could call me by my personal name?"

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:32 pm 

She smiled and nodded, "Very well Kenzo-san. And please... call me anything you can pronounce."

She chuckled, "As long as it isn't intended as an insult I won't take it as one."

She put her hand to her chin trying to recall something, "Did I ever mention my given name before?"

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:56 pm 

Kenzo grinned. "I assure you, one shall not be intended. I like you, Berena-sama, and what's more, I respect you." He gave her a quick bow.

He looked at her, tilting his head thoughtfully. "You introduced yourself as Muhaki Berena." He said. "I suppose... you must have a different Merenaese name? I've never heard it, no."

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:01 pm 

She smiled, "It's a bit of a mouthful. Bellena Rosa de Quijano de La Cuenca de Rubielos"

She then translated it vaguely, "Beautiful Rose of the Quijano family from the Basin of Rubies. If you were to change it to Rokugani roughly."

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:07 pm 

Kenzo considered the name for a few moments, his lips moving.

Finally, he shook his head with a grin. "I think perhaps I'd best stick with Berena-sama." He said, his tone just a little sheepish. "I could recognize that part, at least." He chuckled again. "Which part of that would be your family name? Your original family, that is."

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:11 pm 

"Quijano." She replied. "Kii-ha-no."

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:13 pm 

After a few stumbles, Kenzo managed an approximate pronunciation of the name. "Quijano." He said finally. "A fine name, Berena-sama."

His lips quirked. "Or, based on what else you told me, should I be calling you Berena-hime?"

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:15 pm 

"Only if you enjoy being punched." She said with a smirk.

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:20 pm 

Kenzo grinned. "In fact, I don't especially care for it. Very well. Berena-sama it is." He gave her a nod. His eyes glinted though, as he added: "I'll keep the rest to myself."

He stretched, first extending one leg, then the other. "Shall we continue on a bit, then? Perhaps you could tell me a bit more about this island and its people as we walk. I should like to hear about it from someone who knows the subject so well."

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 7:23 pm 

She nodded and picked herself up, "What would you like to know Kenzo-san?"

DescriptionTheme

Page 2 of 5 [ 100 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next