Login FAQ  
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:22 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Page 2 of 3 [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post subject: Re: Swagger (Day -1 Night, House of the Smiling Carp)
PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:25 am 

Her eyes narrowed at the Lion, just for a moment, she shot him a look.

"Unlike many, I do not like to talk about myself much. I am a humble ronin, I commune with nature, I build with my hands - my main focus has been ships, lately - I travel to find work, hoping for a safe place to lay my head at night, and have seen places in the Empire I only dreamt of as a child. I am fascinated by weather patterns, and thermodynamics.
My otokodate is called the Naka." She dipped a slender fingertip into her cup of sake, and used the drink as quick paint to draw the kanji on the table where it would certainly stain the wood if not mopped up.

She gave a tepid, thoughtful smile, but tilted her head to one side. Glancing from Lion to Dragon, and back to Lion. "This one is not exciting, she pales in comparison to the mighty Matsu."

Outfit: Extravagant Clothing, Wakizashi, Pistol, Calligraphy Set, Traveling Pack

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:59 am 

Kenzo sipped from his cup a few more times, looking back and forth between Lion and Ronin, his expression amiably amused. Finally, he set the cup back down on the table, where it echoed hollowly.

"In fact, I am curious." He said, inclining his head towards Ran. "Speaking for myself, I was fortunate enough to study at The House of Shining Light." He smirked. "Although, I supplemented with, let's say, independent study probably more often than my instructors would have liked." Indeed, it was depth and breadth of knowledge that mattered more than how it was acquired.

He looked at her, scratching his chin thoughtfully. "What sort of work do you usually find?" He asked, his expression having grown rather more serious, interested.

Attended House of Dawning Light
Sturdy clothing, daisho, traveling pack, ink brush kit, fan. Pistols when not ridiculously inappropriate.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:12 am 

Yasuhiro took a slow sip of his cup, placing it on the table and preparing to refill it. He was about to answer the ronin when the dragon stepped in to ask the young woman a few things himself.

"Perhaps that is so Ronin-san, you seem interesting enough for Mirumoto-sama to want to know more about you though. I'm sure he'd take it as a kindness if you were to sate his curiosity."

Honor: Exceptional | Status: 6.0 | Glory: 4.4| Infamy: 1.0 | Reputation: 1.7 | Notoriety: 1.1

Carries: Daisho, Kimono, Finger of Jade
When allowed: Yumi, Light Armor

Merenaese

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:53 am 

Dammit. "Yes," to the Lion. "How funny is that." And she did want to get to know the Mirumoto better, as well.

To the Dragon, Ran offered a true and warm smile.
"That sounds fascinating. Knowledge is always worth seeking out.
I myself am a member of the College of the Dawning Light. We specialize in gaijin lore and shipbuilding and the like. So that tends to be where-along I end up."

"What brings you both here, Matsu-sama? Mirumoto-sama?"

Outfit: Extravagant Clothing, Wakizashi, Pistol, Calligraphy Set, Traveling Pack

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:12 am 

"No kidding?" Kenzo laughed. "Well, we really will have to compare notes sometime, then. On studies, certainly, but also on classes. Perhaps we overlapped a few." He smirked. "If you had Asako Hiroshi-sensei... well, nevermind. Maybe don't mention my name if you see him again." He'd just wanted to take a closer look at those lemur skeletons; he couldn't have known that they weren't yet attached to their stand.

"Oh, as for that..." Kenzo looked back and forth between the Ronin and the Lion. "Well, it's the opportunity of a lifetime, really. To have the chance to see things that no Rokugani has, new discoveries to find, and catalog..." He sighed, letting his hands, which had grown clenched in his excitement, relax. "I'm just glad that my skills are seen to be of some use."

Sturdy clothing, daisho, traveling pack, ink brush kit, fan. Pistols when not ridiculously inappropriate.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:57 am 

"Well sake would be the most obvious answer." Yasuhiro mused looking around the bar for a moment. "If you're referring to the city though... I'm a former student at the Imperial Naval college. I'm also a member of the Imperial marines, and we do our training nearby."

That should likely prove to be enough of a answer for the pair. Refilling his cup he took a slow sip, savoring the flavor.

Honor: Exceptional | Status: 6.0 | Glory: 4.4| Infamy: 1.0 | Reputation: 1.7 | Notoriety: 1.1

Merenaese

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 2:35 pm 

She thought about marrying the Mirumoto for his passion for nature and his drive for knowledge. They could be very happy together.

But hers was a different path.

Asako Hiroshi-sensei? There is a flicker of recognition across the ronin's freckled features, but she simply smiles as the Dragon brushes his comments away.

To the Lion, her smile remains, but it is strained.

"Yes, the sake. Kampai!" she lifts her cup, and downs the rest of what remains in it quickly.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:32 pm 

"Hah." Kenzo acknowledged the Lion's joke with a smile. And they say Lion have no sense of humor. "I've seen the training done by the beach. Seems like its almost as good as the arms training I received at College of the Dawning Light." His tone is lightly teasing, and he shot his apparent former classmate a quick grin.

"Oh, right. Kampai." Kenzo quickly poured himself a little sake from his own small bottle. He gave Ran a speculative look. "If you're interested, I might be going on a quick expedition, if there's time before the voyage. Well, me and some small few others. Up for a little field work?"

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:06 pm 

"Kampai." Yasuhiro raised his glass slightly before takign a small sip. He felt no need to down it, at least for the moment he had just filled it after all.

"Let's hope so, we are the ones who will be protecting all of you who wish to study the Gaijin and their ways after all. If we aren't up to the task, who knows what consequences that might entail."

Merenaese

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:31 pm 

"Oh! Oh yes, Mirumoto-sama, if you would have me, I would very much enjoy such an expedition." She refilled her cup.

"Hai, Matsu-sama, we are eternally grateful for the protection you and yours afford us on this journey into the unknown." So serious.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:53 pm 

After a moment, Kenzo gave the Matsu a smile. "Hey, don't worry, Matsu-san! There'll be plenty of opportunities for glory for everyone. Even without hostile Gaijin."

He hesitated, turning to Ran. "Probably. It's not my expedition, unfortunately." His lips twisted. "I shouldn't give my word if I'm not sure I can keep it. But hey!" He brightened. "I'm sure it'll be fine. I'll let you know, eh?"

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:03 pm 

Yasuhiro repressed the urge to sigh, this is why he didn't like scholars. Only concerned about what they might discover, never concerned about safety. At least the ronin had the added protection of not being very attractive, some of the other women going on this journey didn't seem to share the same blessing.

Deciding he had nothing really to add at the moment he fell silent, taking a slow sip of his sake and taking the time to appreciate the flavor of it. It was a good blend, he'd really miss the ready availability of sake in the coming weeks.

Merenaese

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:32 pm 

Things fell quiet except for the scratching of the Dragon's pen, and the sipping of the Lion and Wolf from their cups.

Ran did not like quiet.

"Do either of you know what ship you'll be part of the crew? I'm in talks with a captain, myself, but of course nothing is guaranteed until we ship off. You never know what may come up. What is it you specialize in, Matsu-sama? The Lion, I have always found most interesting." A knowing look to the Dragon then, a flick of the eyes really, a raise of the brow upon freckled forehead.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:00 pm 

Kenzo's lips twisted at the look from Ran, just a little quirk, but there. "Indeed." He said blandly. "A fascinating creature. In either aspect, man or beast." He leaned forward, blowing lightly on his paper.

But to the question directed at him, he shook his head. "I do not." He glanced at the Lion. "But Matsu-san, you're a member of the marines. Perhaps they already have their ship assignments? Although I've heard there's still some shifting about."

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:14 pm 

"Archer, is my specialty Ronin-san." He offered easily as his silent contemplation of the flavors of the sake was disturbed. The topic of ships almost made him sigh, and he had to take a slow sip of his cup before breaching the topic.

"Lot's of shifting about, Captains have only been decided for two of the vessels, the others still lack people for the rolls. After that there will likely be even more shifting, as captains want to hand pick their officers, it's likely to be a number of days before you find out what ship you'll be on."

"The same goes for the marines as well, as it's likely we are spread over all the ships. For crew safety reasons of course."

Merenaese

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:32 pm 

"Archery?" Kenzo's eyebrows went up. "I'd been given to understand that the marines were all transitioning to gunpowder weapons? Is that not so? Or perhaps, not complete yet?"

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:20 pm 

"I'm a scout in their ranks." Yasuhiro offered in way of explanation. "Firearms are far too loud for that kind of work. So for the time being a few of us still don't use firearms as out main weapons."

"One can't be certain how long that might last though."

Merenaese

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:58 pm 

"Scouts are honourable," Ran agreed, nodding politely.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:54 am 

Yasuhiro took a sip of his sake, though he did make an attempt to keep the conversation going rather then fall silent. "So is there anything in particular you're looking to study on this trip?" He didn't direct the question to either of them, more leaving it open to either to answer.

Merenaese

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:09 am 

Kenzo brightened, giving the Matsu a smile. "Anything! Well, not quite anything." He said, shaking his head a little ruefully. "My specialty is mammals, but I would cheerfully study any manner of creatures. There are some fascinating reptiles, I've heard."

His gaze went distant. "There may even be some opportunity aboard the ship. I'm not quite as familiar with sea life. Yet." He said, semi-modestly. "But nearly anything would be a treat, really."

Page 2 of 3 [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next