Login FAQ  
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:21 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Page 1 of 3 [ 56 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post subject: Swagger (Day -1 Night, House of the Smiling Carp)
PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:52 am 

It had been a long day on the beach for the young lion, directing a squad in different combat maneuvers, in a effort to overthrow a squad led by one of his fellows. He'd done well for the majority of it but near the end he had tried to switch up tactics and things hadn't turned out so well.

After his defeat and a review of where things had went wrong, as well as where he could improve he made his way to the Smiling Carp. A drink or two seemed to be in order after a day like his, and there was no better place to have one then here. Entering the establishment he took a quick glance around looking for a empty table to take a seat at.

Pregame event Roll 3 Day -1 Battle/perception 2 raises 1 free raise +2 from glory tn 30 void for 1k1: 8d10o10k4 27+2=29

Honor: Exceptional | Status: 6.0 | Glory: 4.4| Infamy: 1.0 | Reputation: 1.7 | Notoriety: 1.1

Carries: Daisho, Kimono, Finger of Jade
When allowed: Yumi, Light Armor

Merenaese

Post subject: Re: Swagger (Day -1 Night, House of the Smiling Carp)
PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:05 pm 

A bar in a coastal city was almost always busy, especially at night, and the House of the Smiling Carp was no different. The tables were packed almost to capacity, patrons filling seat after seat. The respectable nature of the establishment meant that things weren't too rowdy, and the singing was kept to reasonable levels.

One table was nearly empty, with only a Dragon sitting at them. He seemed to be hard at work, studying some painted sketches, and making notes in a book. He was displaying the well-known ambidexterity of the Dragon by drinking from a cup in his left hand, even as he continued to write.

Attended House of Dawning Light
Sturdy clothing, daisho, traveling pack, ink brush kit, fan. Pistols when not ridiculously inappropriate.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:51 pm 

She entered the bar as well, nearly running into the Lion who paused, "Oh! So sorry! Please forgive me!" Ran immediately apologized, dropping into a deep bow before she even looked at who it was she nearly ran over.

A Lion.

Her On held.

Outfit: Extravagant Clothing, Wakizashi, Pistol, Calligraphy Set, Traveling Pack

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:29 am 

The man waved away the apology. "I shouldn't of stopped in the door way." He offered evenly, as he glanced at the young woman. Ooooohhhhh~ Look at her! She might have worse luck with men then you have with women! His grandmother chirped, with a soft chuckle.

"That seems to be the only open table." He offered, gesturing towards where the dragon was seated. It wasn't anything like a invitation, simply a statement that may or may not help.

Honor: Exceptional | Status: 6.0 | Glory: 4.4| Infamy: 1.0 | Reputation: 1.7 | Notoriety: 1.1

Merenaese

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:51 am 

The Mirumoto at the table didn't seem to notice the two, being rather engrossed in his work. He took another sip of his drink as he leaned forward, peering closely at some of the papers. His posture was neither inviting, nor uninviting; he simply didn't seem to have noticed the pair.

His did certainly seem to be the only table with free seats, however.

Sturdy clothing, daisho, traveling pack, ink brush kit, fan. Pistols when not ridiculously inappropriate.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:59 am 

"Please, let me buy you a drink as recompense," she motioned to the table with the Dragon. "I don't think we'll bother him, do you?"
She began to walk into the bar proper, and then turned and waited for the Lion.

Outfit: Extravagant Clothing, Wakizashi, Pistol, Calligraphy Set, Traveling Pack

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:41 am 

"thank you for the offer but that's unnecessary Ronin-san." The girl probably had to save zeni for a week to afford drinking here after all. He shouldn't deny her one of the few drinks that she could likely afford.

"Likely not, I don't think much could disturb him." Yasuhiro mused as he walked to the bar. The dragon seemed very much lost in his own world at least at the moment.

Merenaese

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:28 am 

Although he hadn't yet looked up from his work, the Dragon slid in his seat a little, making more room. After a moment, he grimaced, then shuffled some of the papers aside.

Finally, he looked up, giving a seated bow. "Ah, samurai-sans. Please, go ahead. Plenty of room." He gestured at the empty seats. "Just mind the papers." He chuckled. "Maybe I shouldn't have brought them to a bar, but that's where the sake is, so..." He shrugged.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:43 pm 

The ronin was insistent, and gave the Lion a sour look. "Please let me buy you a drink."

Then she was beside the Dragon, leaning over his shoulder almost, looking over what he was working on. "Paper and sake are two of my favourite things. You are smart to bring them together. You have never met someone as careful around the blessing of knowledge than I am." She slides in to sit beside him.
"This one is called Ran."

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:18 pm 

"Yeah?" Kenzo laughed, the Ronin finally diverting his attention. "Well, I like the sound of that. You'll be welcome at my table, then." His eyes flickered to her freckles briefly, then, with a mental shrug, back to her eyes. Either an elemental imbalance, or one of the humors, no doubt, the two very much related.

Carefully blowing on the ink in the journal, he closed it, sliding into a pouch he carried. "I'm Mirumoto Kenzo. Pleasure to meet you." He inclined his head to the Lion once more, including the fellow. "These are some sketches of wildlife I've made. If that's the sort of knowledge you're interested in?" Indeed, the few visible papers seemed to be of animals, basic but functional, with some notes on them. One was recognizably an ordinary Rokugani squirrel, but another seemed to be a smaller squirrel with larger eyes, and some sort of fleshy webbing connecting its legs.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:10 pm 

"Do as you will." The lion grunted in response, obviously not pleased with the situation, but not wishing to argue the point any further. He did proceed to order himself a bottle regardless of the offer though, the ronin could make of that what she would.

Rounding the table he took a seat across from the pair, offering the dragon a nod in thanks. "Thank you for your hospitality Mirumoto-sama, I'm Matsu Yasuhiro no Koritome. I appreciate your willingness to share the table."

Merenaese

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:45 pm 

When a bottle is delivered to the table for the Lion, Ran does a double take, takes in and exhales air out of her nostrils which flair momentarily... and she orders a second bottle.
She nods to the Lion. "Good to properly meet you, Matsu-sama."

But the Dragon, well, he has drawings. Of squirrels. She hovers a hand over the illustration of the squirrel with the webbing. "Oh! Oh! I've seen these! They jump from tree to tree, and sail through the air!"

She's super excited, her brown eyes light up and meet the Mirumoto's.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:02 am 

Kenzo casually waved his hand, or rather, his cup, in response to the Lion. "No thanks are necessary, Matsu-san. I can hardly call it my table, when I only take up a quarter of it. You're free to use your portion as you wish."

The excitement of the ronin drew him back. "Truly?" He said, his eyebrows going up as he smiled. "Yes, exactly! Fascinating, aren't they?" He didn't quite match her excitement, but it was a near thing, his own eyes lighting as he met her gaze.

He set his cup aside, as he spread out first the flying squirrel picture, then the ordinary one, so that his two table companions could see them, especially the ronin. "Yes, it's this membrane here that seems to allow it to fly, and the more mundane squirrel lacks." He indicated the bit joining the animal's legs. "The tail is longer, too. I theorize that it allows it to steer. The larger eyes... perhaps, travelling at greater speeds, it needs to detect things earlier? But many birds have smaller eyes..." He looked at his companions, inviting alternate theories.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:09 am 

"Good to properly meet you as well Ronin-san." The lion offered evenly. Yasuhiro was rather sure he had upset the woman, but he didn't make any moves to fix it. Merely relaxing into his seat and letting the pair across from him chat. He really didn't have much to add to their conversation.

The dragons look in his direction received a small shrug. "Squirrels aren't birds Mirumoto-sama. Maybe they have bigger eyes because they don't need to look for small things?"

Merenaese

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:17 am 

"...They're actually nocturnal, for the most part, to avoid the birds of prey that would swoop them out of the sky as morsels, otherwise," Ran explained, glancing to the hard words of the Lion, and regarding him for a moment, before she looked back to the papers and illustrations and notes.

"These are incredible."

[D -1] Lore:Nature/Intell TN 15: 6d10o10k3 19

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:25 am 

Kenzo gave a nod of approval to the Lion for his suggestion. "It's true, Matsu-san. Although the comparison to birds comes quickly, it's not a bird. There may be more value in comparing it to other animals with large eyes." His lips twisted. "Unfortunately, that's a rather large and varied pool."

But it seemed the Ronin had the answer. "Nocturnal! Of course!" He said. "The better to see in limited light. And it makes sense that they'd have to worry more about birds of prey." He regarded the Ronin with an interested look.

Briefly, he glanced between Lion and Ronin, then shrugged, unconcerned at the tension between them. "Thank you." He said. "I did my best to make them functional, at least. I take it this sort of study is of interest to you? What about you, Lion-san?"

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:41 am 

Well at least one of them seemed to know what they were talking about. Seeing as the ronin didn't have any intention to fill his cup from her own bottle, or from his own bottle for that matter, yasuhiro took the time to fill his own cup.

"I've never made a study of animals Mirumoto-sama." He offered. "You need no t worry about me though." He picked up his cup taking a small sip, setting it back on the table a moment later.

Merenaese

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:58 am 

A touch of colour hit her freckled cheeks at the appraisal from the Dragon, and Ran smiled and nodded and ducked her head for a moment, busying herself with filling her cup. The Matsu helped himself, and that was just fine. Matsu were prideful like that, weren't they?

Her nose wrinkled for a moment before she straightened.

"I'm fascinated by nature and what surrounds us, hai," she nodded slowly, sipping her drink.

"But I do not wish to exclude our friend Matsu-sama from a conversation, and so I will defer to what he would like to speak on. With the promise that Miromoto-sama share his illustrations and texts with me another time?"

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:21 am 

Kenzo couldn't help but grin a bit, watching the Ronin's shifting facial expressions, and the color in her cheeks. "As am I, Ronin-san. As am I." He said, still smiling.

Stop... talking about nature? Kenzo blinked, his forehead creasing as he frowned. "Uh... sure. Yeah, okay." After a moment he smiled. "Another time, then. I'd be happy to hear your insights on other things." He smoothed out the papers carefully before replacing them in his case. That done, he looked expectantly at the Matsu.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:39 am 

This was the Ronin's revenge wasn't it? Since he upset her with the sake and all of that she wanted to put him at the center of things as it were. "Why don't you tell us a bit of yourself then Ronin-san? If you don't mind"

"I wouldn't expect to find a ronin that had spent so much time in study, and knew so much about animals and the like." He took a sip of his sake. 'I'm sure Mirumoto-sama is curious as well, since you share common interests."

Merenaese

Page 1 of 3 [ 56 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next