Login FAQ  
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:46 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Page 1 of 4 [ 70 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post subject: Hikaridoo, where are u? We've got some work to do now [D1LM]
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 6:11 pm 

After talking to some of the governor's men, and looking through some of the reports, Hikari found her way over to the site of the most recent crime-scene. It was unlikely, she figured, that there'd be any clues still lying around, but one never knew. Even if there wasn't, there might be things she could learn, or witnesses she could talk to.

Post subject: Re: Hikaridoo, where are u? We've got some work to do now [D
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:21 pm 

Yogo Akarei was still pleased by her little escapade with the Akodo. In her arms again were piles of papers related to the cases. "Seppun-sama," she announced, "Perhaps it would be wise for us to not sleep tonight. We could patrol the streets and dispatch this evil."

General Theme | Stargazing Theme | Battle Theme

Typically Carries: Robes, Mask, Fan, Wakizashi, Knife, Scroll Satchel, Divination Kit, Paper Wards

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:29 pm 

"If it is a full moon," she said, peering about as she did. "But having more to go on would be good."

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:47 pm 

"That is why we are here," she stated with a soft smile. She glanced up to the sky and then looked back to Hikari. "I will keep my eyes open on the matter."

Typically Carries: Robes, Mask, Fan, Wakizashi, Knife, Scroll Satchel, Divination Kit, Paper Wards

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:02 am 

The sprawling, teeming mass of the Pan sputtered and kicked into alertness by late morning. The morning's dew had been ground into the dirt lining the alleys, so that the dust was heavy enough not to be launched into the air but little enough it did not form mud. Merchants and innkeepers opened their doors for the day's custom while less successful merchants rolled carts through the street to hock their wares and below them the poor and impoverished tossed out frayed bamboo mats, blankets, or sat upon the ground to claim the best corners and nooks where they too could set up temporary shop away from the nicer buildings where proprietors or their hired guards would shoo them away.

As the morning rolled on, a few of these merchants came to be around Hikari and Akarei. Most sold food of one kind or another which could be prepared elsewhere and sold on site without cooking, but some sold trinkets or wooden curios. A wizened man in a tattered kimono walked from passerby to passerby, avoiding samurai with a low bow when he could, while accosting others with offers of protective talismans, writs of good luck, and small totems blessed by the Fortune they were crudely carved to resemble.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:08 am 

It was that man, that wizened man, who caught her eye.

"Ohayo gozaimasu," she said, approaching him and idle hand moving to one of the inryo containers at her side; the one carved into the image of Natsu-Togumara.

Her hand lingered for a bit, before moving away again.

"Seppun Hikari," she continued, "Jade magistrate. Might I have a word?"

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:32 am 

The old man froze and looked around, tensing when he deduced the Seppun was clearly talking to him. His eyes turned towards her warily and he bowed when she drew close.

"H-hai samurai-sama. A word is yours if you wish."

(( Intelligence/Lore: Theology or similar skill vs. TN 15 to determine authenticity of the man's wares ))

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:47 am 

"I see you have an eye for the mystical," she said, taking out a fan now instead of candy. With it still closed, she pointed at the various offerings he had with him.

Obvious fakes...

"A man like you must know things. For instance, about events that any man with a good heart would care to see an end to. The sort of events that happen under a full moon, if you catch my drift."

Lore: Theology / Intelligence, 2 raises, TN25: 5d10o10k4 49

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:50 am 

"Know things? I don't kno-" he began to protest before her point became clearer.

"... ahhh, those things. Hai, I know a little about those things. Fools, the lot of them! They don't know what's coming. They all forget. They go about their rich lives, thinking nothing of those who wind up pale and white like death itself when Lord Moon has passed! Nothing! And in their greed and ignorance, evil festers! Festers, it does!"

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:52 am 

He was hamming it up most likely. Which could be a problem that might need correcting. But for now she was going to see where he'd take it.

"I see, I see. And? What sort of things do you know? Keeping in mind of course, that I'm a magistrate tasked with seeing that evil does not fester."

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:02 am 

"I know that a dark shape stalks these streets when Lord Moon is high overhead. I heard the scream last month. It was near where I slept, but I w-... I was too late when I went to find her," the poor liar claimed, his eyes downcast. Suddenly they brightened and he added, "B-but the woman who died didn't have one of my talismans, and her friend did! And my customer said that there was indeed a low shuffling and scraping, but it didn't sound like a penanggalan she said! I mean, because she could hear some kind of shuffling and... well..."

He squirmed uncomfortably before adding, "A penanggalan wouldn't, would it? Because that's not what... what something like that dragging would sound like, right?"

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:11 am 

"Hmmm," she placed the closed fan to her lips, tapping them as she made a theatrical attempt at appearing to be in deep thought.

"Now I didn't say it was a pennangelang," she said, "...but that's the story that's going around, is it not? And a man such as yourself, selling fake charms and the like, must know how to speak to his audience. Are you just telling me what you think I want to hear?"

She pointed the fan at him. "That would be a very serious matter, since I am out here trying to keep more young women from being murdered. If I'm given false or incomplete information, then I can not do so. And if I can not perform that duty... why then my attention should probably go to more mundane matters of law, such as fraud."

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:17 am 

"F-fraud?" he said, his face quickly taking on a frightened pallor. "I-it's not fraud, I assure you! L-l-look for yourself? These help keep the evil away during Lord Moon's march, and one of them already helped someone! Well.... lots of them helped people since no one who's bought one was attacked yet. And everything I've told you I was only told by others, who I assume would have no reason to lie! I mean, why would they lie to me? I'm no one. No one samurai-sama, and not worthy of your attention, even scorn. But another attack will be coming tomorrow night, mark my words. And I'll jump in the creek if one of my customers suffers."

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:14 am 

The yoriki looked to Hikari and then back to the man. She let out a soft sigh and felt the bruise on her rib. Bloody Lioness... she was actually pretty for one though.

She let out a sigh and looked closer at the charms. "How did you learn to make these?"

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:39 am 

The man let out an uneasy sigh before turning his attention to the Scorpion.

"I, uh... I just make them samurai-sama. Say some prayers and then try and make sure that the people of the city have something to help protect them, neh?"

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:02 pm 

She sighed. "Lying to a Jade magistrate is a serious crime."

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:29 pm 

"O-of course it is!" he answered, gesturing reassuringly with one hand, "So why would I lie?"

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:39 pm 

"Are you suggesting you'd know more about matters of theology and mysticism than a magistrate of the Jade Office?"

It was not often that Hikari looked displeased, but this was one of them.

"Your trinkets are obvious fakes. Normally I might be inclined to ignore such minor infractions. But you are wasting our time with lies and hearsay when there are lives on the line."

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:03 pm 

"Nonono samurai-sama, you misundersta-... er.... It's not that you misunderstand but you judge me too harshly. I-I am an old man. I know little and only what I hear. If I've told you falsely then it's because I know so little. I've told you only what I've heard, and if I've heard wrong then I ask you to not dwell on the matter any further. But something is coming again tomorrow night, whether I'm right or not. It is coming."

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 7:28 pm 

She opened and immediately snapped shut the fan.

"I see. You mentioned that you were told these things by others. Would they know more?"

Page 1 of 4 [ 70 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next