Speaks: Merenaese, Mekhem, Yodotai, Rokugani, Thranish, Ujik-hai

DescriptionTheme

Post subject: Re: Xanty Talks (D9, LM)
PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:27 pm 

He eyed the two of them. "What do you know about this topic?"

Equipment: Rapier, navigation tools, light armor when applicable

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:30 pm 

Edogawa and I have spoken to each other on the topic before. How is it you know of this term...?

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:35 pm 

"The memories I possess suggest that you both have some connection to it." he answered.

Carries: Wakizashi, Rapier, Tools
Speaks: Rokugani, Merenaese, Thranish, Sign
Accompanied By: Nari

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:44 pm 

"This wasn't a question," he said his eyes darkening. "I'll repeat. Tell me what you know about this topic."

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:56 pm 

"It was something Teodoro Cornejo was involved in, a way to preserve the Kingdom." Edogawa said. "There was an angry boy in oppulent clothing. I'm not sure who he was."

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:11 pm 

You haven’t, nor will you ever order me around.” Bellena replied.

You will change your tone, or I will leave and you can take your complaint up with our champion.

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:16 pm 

The Tortoise groaned. "You're such a conflictive woman."

"I've invited you to my house with open arms and as you can see it is only us three," he sighed and turned to the Miya. "What do you know about the culling of the Cornejo?"

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:25 pm 

"My understanding is that the new king turned against Teodoro, likely because of how powerful he became." Edogawa shrugged. "Teodoro and his son disappeared. I do not have direct accounts as either of you may have, just glimpses of Teodoro's memories."

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 1:56 am 

“The things I know are potentially dangerous in the wrong hands... I don’t share them liberally with people who try to coerce the information out of me. Talk like a normal person and I will listen and respond.” She said coolly.

“I assume you know something that the official story does not entail... I know of the official story only.”

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 2:17 am 

"You're on track," he nodded at the Miya. "Prince Enrique did move against the Cornejo family and he did decide to remove them with one fell sweep. All of the Cornejo assets were seized and distributed to the loyal members of the crown, in particular, the Almerias and," he looked at Bellena. "And the Bregos."

"A small part also was given to my family but quickly seized after a tightening of the religious laws in Merenae,"
he sighed and took a sip from his cup. "Comical. Since the culling of the Cornejo was in good part possible due to the collusion between a faction of my family and the crown. They thought that Aberri could get power by working with a crown that had systematically oppressed them," he groaned. "Doesn't matter. Those... misguided members were dealt with and the culling of the Cornejo is something that weighs heavily on our shoulders."

He handed them the book.

"Read this. You will understand. You will see," he looked at Bellena once more. "My family are not betrayers."

Last edited by Muhaki Zabieru on Sun Nov 26, 2017 2:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 2:27 am 

Edogawa accepted the book "And, do you know what happened to Teodoro? To Ricardo?"

He carefully opened the book.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 2:40 am 

"Nothing besides what the book states," he admitted.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 3:02 am 

Bellena looked at the book, "What is this book?"

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 12:06 pm 

"This is a chronicle written by my family and depicting everything that happened," he commented. "Read it and you will see."

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:48 pm 

Relevant, marked excerpts.

Quote:
The records of the Succession War with the Thrane described the emergence of the clandestine alliance between two maritime domains of Merenae: Aberri and La Corna. While it were the Cornejos who had stockyards, workshops, technology and wherewithal to produce ocean-going vessels armed with modern weaponry first developed by Espada Cornejo, those were mostly put to good use by Abertzales. The infamous Sacking of Morriston that gave the kingdom a favourable exit from a war that seemed unwinnable was the highlight of this cooperation.

The journal describes how entente continued into the next century in the maritime domain, with Lekeitio serving as the entrepot for goods pillaged from Sheel ships on the Spice Route, then rerouted to legitimate markets via La Corteza. The origins of wealth of the Cornejo lay there, build on piracy spearheaded and masterminded by Aljundro Cornejo, who had an Abertzale mother. His son Teodoro spent a part of his childhood in the north and when he came of age there he formed one of his first crews who in 430s was subverting Sheel rule over Anisrana and ports of J'li'lu.

[Big unread part.]

Quote:
"...stories were spread in the capital that it was an Abertzale who had assaulted and detracted the carriage of queen Beatrice and infanta Sofia on their way to their family in La Cuenca for the betrothal. The delphine Enrique was quick to dismiss them as falsehood, claiming that the death of his stepfamily at Paraxena was an unfortunate bridge accident. As Quijanos and Cornejos were mourning and the outrage spread, Don Patxi travelled to Carceiras soon after to thank the Crown Prince for not giving in to hostile sentiments in other provinces of the realm in the wake of the death. But the Sorgin knew it were the delphine's assassins who weakened the beams at Paraxena as Enrique sought to forever end the danger of a Cornejo, and of a foreign blood at that, marrying into the Royal House."

Quote:
""...for revealing the plans of the Xantellados and abandoning the conspiracy, the delphine promised Don Patxi Arrigorriagakoa thirty thousand reales and a fifth of assets of Empresa Mercantil de La Familia Hidalgo de Cornejo in the country and overseas, as well as the promulgation of the edict on religious tolerance on enthronement and the position of the Royal Admiral held by Don Teodoro for Don Patxi. Sorgin did not believe in the promises and punished her son for naivete and stupidity in trusting the delphine. Once the purge of the conspirators started she ordered to kidnap Don Teodoro and his son before the Admiral could rejoin the levies of La Corna awaiting them at the village of Mercesquera..."

Quote:
"...he and his son were held on a remote island in an undisclosed location known only to the sorgin, as an insurance. In time, insurance turned into a nuisance. In 466 the sorgin released them from imprisonment and they were let to live as fishermen or shepherds, hiding in the mountains from royal raids. But in 471 they fled to La Corteza with aims unknown, where they survived for a year. Whatever was their intention, it did not bear fruit. Only the young Xantello escaped persecution, boarding the ship to the Isla de la Tortuga, and was never heard of again."

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:19 pm 

"Explain it to me." he said as he continued reading. "Beatrice and Sofia. Who were they, exactly?"

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:16 am 

Bellena took her turn reading the passages, her mind forming the connections with ease once the context was presented to her. The document couldn't be fully trusted, the woman who wrote it obviously had an axe to grind. But Edogawa's visions began to make a bit of sense as she pieced it together.

"The former King of Merenae's wife and her infant daughter... My kin. The infant was set to be wed to a child of Teodoro Cornejo. The story I heard was that they died in a bridge accident. We would pass it on our way to the capital when I was a small girl and my mother would warn me to be careful... But according to this document, they were killed by the a group of people that some claimed were the Abertzales, under order of the King's son, who apparently saw this as a conspiracy to usurp his spot and take over the Kingdom. The Xantellados, or 'those with the Xantei'..." She looked at both of them. "Were those who were considered to be part of this conspiracy."

"The woman who wrote this book then kidnapped Cornejo and his son who was meant to be wed to the Quijano princess, and held them for a time before letting them go. They returned to Merenae... but most likely found that the conspirators from before were no longer willing to sacrifice their homes for Cornejo's dream. My grandfather chose neutrality... most likely because his descendants had been murdered by the king, and he didn't wish to see civil war cause more despair to come to all the families of Merenae. Accordingly, Cornejo's possessions were stripped by the King and handed to those who had helped him deal with Cornejo and his friends. His son... appears to have made it out alive. I think you know what happened then Edogawa..."

Last edited by Muhaki Berena on Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:44 pm, edited 3 times in total.

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:48 am 

He nodded. "That does make some things clear. Enrique may have been right to be concerned."

Page 2 of 3 [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next