Login FAQ  
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:14 pm

Page 2 of 2 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Post subject: Re: Exploring Dragon (D6, LA)
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:56 pm 

Utsusemi raised an eyebrow at the small change in topic. "Not as such, no..." Another sip of wine to wet her throat, as her habit from the Academy made her insist on telling the legend properly. One did not just plainly speak about the life of Lady Doji, or of her end.

"The Lady Doji had lived a long life, and in those years, she had lost the love of her life, her children, and one by one her beloved siblings had died or in the case of Lady Shinjo, had disappeared and were out of her reach. Even the heart and soul of a Celestial Being can only bear so much sorrow."

"On her last day, she gifted her great-grandson Doji Sasageru with the armor that would be known as Sasageru - said to have been a physical manifestation of the Lady's honor and nobility to protect her line, and she went down to the beach at the palace of the Doji. As the sun set, she stood on a high rock and watched the ocean. The tide rose at her feet, and the waves crashed against the surrounding rocks. She looked up at the sky and saw the light of her mother, Lady Sun, fade away into sunset, casting its last rays of light on Lady Doji's home."

"The waves towered over her and crashed on the rocks on which she was standing. When the water receeded, the Lady Doji was nowhere to be found. Many went out to search for her, from the richest lords of the Crane to the lowliest fishers, but none could find her. It is said that Sasageru prayed to the Heavens and learned that his divine great-grandmother had become part of the ocean, and would forever watch over and protect her followers."

"The rocks on which she was seen the last time is a holy place the clan, called the Lady's Rest. A Clan Champion will spend a night in prayer there for the Lady's guidance prior to them assuming the Championship, and every year for the Chrysanthemum Festival, young maidens from all the clans are invited to decorate the place with flowers."

---

D6 Storytelling/Awa. +1k1 Void. 2 raises. TN 25: 7d10o10k5 50

Theme #5Profile

Honour: Exceptional • Status: 5.0 • Glory: 5.1 (Lady of the Golden Moon's Words)
Faith: Exceptional • Status: 4.0 • Reputation: 2.7 (Lady Uxue)
Languages: Rokugani, Merenaese
Has: Wakizashi, flute, notebook (new), small knife, satchel (contains medicine kit and paint supplies).

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:17 pm 

The Tortoise listened to her words carefully, entranced by her prose and awaiting with baited breath for every word and sentence, once more growing silent when she finished her tale. He nodded solemnly before reaching for the bottle and filling both of their cups.

"I have told you of the Vengeful Sea no?" he finally spoke with a cautious tone. "That name is an imposition by the others. A verbal stigma. A mark to differentiate it from the religions of both Merenae and the Tarkhanate. The people from Aberri know her with another name. Amatxu. The Loving Mother."

"For the Abertzales," he paused gauging her expression. "She is a Godsend. A nurturing figure that provides and looks out for them. Whilst Aberri's lands are poor, the waters that wash it are rich and through skill or divine intervention, the vessels of the Abertzales rarely, if ever, get lost at sea," he chuckled. "A fact that has imprinted itself to Merenese tradition as every vessel has at least one person from Aberri. Often more."

"I don't know where She came from," he said before taking a sip. "Only that she was one of the many Heavenly siblings that came into our world after their father's betrayal. Some say she was originally kind to everyone, though some say she had always her 'temperamental' behavior, whatever the case, her sibling's death caused her great pain and fury, cursing the sibling who had killed her with a curse that until know perdures with the descendants of her brother's followers," he looked at the fire. "They say the saltiness of seawater is actually the tears she shed for her murdered sister."

"There are few flowers in Aberri," he turned back to her. "But of the few that grow, always in the dunes facing the ocean, are those we call Ama Musuak, the 'Mother's Kiss'. I have some in my garden, beautiful flowers of lilac... and light blue."

He took the cup to his lips once more, silence once more setting between the two.

Equipment: Rapier, navigation tools, light armor when applicable

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:55 pm 

The former Doji listened to Zabieru as he shared his story, her eyebrows lowering slightly at some of the things he said, but she would not be so rude as to interrupt him or call him out in his own home. The refill had been accepted, but she did not drink as he spoke.

"... What you are insinuating," she inhaled sharply, her voice a tad lower than before, "many would call heresy. A word of advice; never repeat that anywhere near or in the lands of the Crane, or you will be dead before sunset. Though you might find that to be the case in many places in the Empire."

Utsusemi's shoulders squared.

"There might be something to your story... really, I'm not a priest or an expert in theology. I know there are more out there in the world that I do not know or understand yet, but I do not appriciate thinking that the Kami of my birth-clan is this... Vengeful Sea, even if some call her by a different name. Vengeance was never at the heart of Lady Doji's ideals, nor was spite or hatred."

Theme #5Profile

Honour: Exceptional • Status: 5.0 • Glory: 5.1 (Lady of the Golden Moon's Words)
Has: Wakizashi, flute, notebook (new), small knife, satchel (contains medicine kit and paint supplies).

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:33 pm 

He shrugged. "I merely relayed a tale," he excused himself. "I am not a priest and I'm certainly not a historian. Also from what I understand Lady Doji-no-Kami was alive around 500 years ago, correct? Whilst these tales are as old as time," he chuckled. "At least that is what the priests like to say. Who knows what is the truth."

"I am also telling you this because I am certain you are going to be listening a lot of these tales," he sentenced. "Did you know that the Senpet have a thousand Gods? And most of them have animal heads too."

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:14 am 

"Which is why am not taking offense to your words, or having you challenged for blasphemy," she gave a weak smile, "as you were relaying a tale. Though it is prudent of me to remind you to not repeat it in the presence of members of the Crane Clan, as they might not be as tolerant as I can be. The current Champion has enforced a rather hardline conservative stance. As for Lady Doji's disapperance... around 400 years ago, I believe? I'm not very good with historical dates myself."

Utsusemi lowered her gaze to the cup, watching the contents swirl around as she shifted her wrist slightly.

"I was not aware of it, but then again I also did not know about this Lost Daughter we spoke of earlier today." She was polite enough to not mention the more unpleasant parts of the meeting of the brass. "It is hard to believe they claim to worship the Lady of the Ki-rin, seeing as what I heard today seemed very different to the tales we grew up with of the Kami."

Theme #5Profile

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:36 pm 

"They were separated from the Empire for a long time," he replied. "Perhaps they are who they claim to be, but any remainder of their Rokugani identity eroded away after so many years separated. Or perhaps the original Ki-Rin all died and what remains are those that joined later on and who honor the sacrifice of the Ki-Rin."

"Whatever they are," he took a sip. "They are to be taken as a threat. Don't let their smiles or words of tolerance fool you. They have to be dismantled."

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:45 pm 

"Dismantled?" she raised an eyebrow at that, looking up from her cup at Zabieru. "That is... hm, shall we say, rather drastic choice of words, considering their numbers and advanced weaponry."

Utsusemi sighed. "And too many seem enamored with the idea of bringing them into the fold when we know so little of who they truly are."

Theme #5Profile

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 12:56 am 

"That is true," he nods. "But battles are not only won on the battlefield."

"Imagine someone, someone who you could never beat in a fight, threatened those you cared. How would YOU defeat him?"

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 1:17 am 

Her expression at first turned contemplative, but there was a small change in her as it was something deeper, something darker. Fear even, perhaps... but that seemed to be something she was already too familiar with.

Utsusemi was silent as she seemed to be thinking over his words, before drawing a deep breath, composing herself cooly. "... I do not feel I can answer you, seeing how little I know of this threat."

Theme #5Profile

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:43 pm 

"But I think you do," he argued before raising and pacing towards the hearth. "The same is what we must do to the Tarkhanate."

"The world is filled with terrors Agasha-san and I am aware this might sound heretical but," he sighed. "Our Empire is small in the grand scheme of things. At least now. The fact that we still argue between clans on whether or not to embrace progress. There are fools that would rather focus on inwards perfection rather than to grab our manifest destiny. Seppun Hinami voiced it perfectly. 'Every land where the Sun shines belongs to the Emperor.'," he turned to her and raised his cup. "We must make that sentence true both in paper and in reality."

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:29 pm 

Utsusemi finally drank from her cup.

"All things have a cost, Muhaki-san. At what cost will we seize this manifest destiny?" She turned the cup in her hand before placing it aside. "Also... do not presume to know my mind. There is much you do not know about me, and that you make assumptions only make you look foolish."

Theme #5Profile

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:42 pm 

"The sacrifices of today are the bounty of tomorrow," he quoted although it certainly wasn't a quote from anyone in Rokugan.

"I am aware," he set his gaze on her and sipped from his cup. "Though Agasha-san I do have my educated guesses."

"Reading people is something I have always done, something I've always seen as a necessity in such a volatile world. Being book smart is good but I've seen so many great academics being ground to nothing by petty people simply because they did not know how to translate their geniality to empathy."

"As such when I see you Agasha-san, besides seeing a brilliant woman that deserves my utmost respect, I see various things," another sip. "I see someone who married into the Dragon for political reasons, a way for a badly wounded clan to fall into the graces of the Imperial Heir. I see a woman that faced her duty with utmost perseverance and that has moved earth and sky to make the most of her situation," he smiled. "Must be hard. To move from the gardens and courts of the Doji Lands to the harsh and spartan environments of the Agasha. But I'm certain you soldiered on without ever showing anything less than utmost happiness for where you were."

"I see much more but I, TRULY, don't want to make you hate me. At least not too much," he smirked. "I truly wish to work towards making this Empire as great as it deserves."

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:59 pm 

The mother of dragons straightened her posture elegantly as she stood, hands folded perfectly together. It was hard to call it a practised grace because it seemed to just come naturally to her.

"You are correct in that my marriage to Ryuden-sama was a political match, and yes, like any other samurai should, I did my duty to my clan - I am honored that I was entrusted with that duty. But as I warned you, your assumptions make you seem foolish, Muhaki-san. I am Agasha, I am a Dragon, and I love my family dearly. I am not some wilting flower pining away over lost days, and I will not tolerate insinuations and false speculations of my private life. If your circumstances were different, perhaps you would understand."

She gave a slight bow. "If that is all, I believe I should be leaving now."

---

We are perfectly happy citizen!
D6 LA Sincerity/Awa with Zabieru. +1k1 Void. FR Doji Courtier (+5): 7d10o10k5+5 66

Theme #5Profile

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:17 pm 

The Tortoise was amazed by her poise and decorum, she was truly a perfect example of nobility.

"I apologize if I offended you," he lowered his head. "But I would have never approached you if I considered those things of you. You, Agasha Utsusemi, are a brilliant woman and while what I said might or might not have been the reality what matter is the now. The woman that is standing in front of me now."

"And you are the one I am speaking to. Not your husband. Not anyone else," his tone was apologetic. "Because even a blind man would see your worth."

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:31 pm 

"Your flattery is noted," she replied cooly with lowered eyes. This Zabieru was quite a slippery one, she noted, recalling also how he had wormed his way around before. "And you are forgiven for speaking carelessly."

Her chin lifted gently as her eyes focused on him. "Then why do you approach me? I have no experience with the cultures or nations outside of Rokugan, as I believe I have always been clear on that part. If you seek to defeat the Tarkhanate, are you not more compelled to seek those who actually understand them?"

Theme #5Profile

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:10 pm 

"No, I am well aware," he smiled. "But I do not wish your help in that aspect."

"Your husband's research in mass manufacturing is very interesting Agasha-san," he commented. "Now more than ever we will need a way to quickly build up a suitable army, if only for it to be a deterrent against the Tarkhanate."

"You are the key to make sure that shines through, Agasha-san."

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:20 pm 

Utsusemi didn't really believe in the philosophy of deterrents, but there was something else Zabieru said that did get her attention, and there was a slight change in the look she gave him.

"If that is what you believe, Muhaki-san," she inclined her head slightly, "you might be of assistance to his research. Further knowledge of their weaponry, if such can be procured, would be quite valuable for his work. I do not speak their language, and did not know of their presence here until recently, but you on the other hand have experience I do not."

Theme #5Profile

Page 2 of 2 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2