Login FAQ  
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:55 am

Page 1 of 2 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: Exploring Dragon (D6, LA)
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:51 pm 

She remembered the warnings to stay away from Little Aqhaba, but at least the area not far from where she knew Bellena was staying felt safer and she had admired the area the day before during her visit to the eastern port. Now that she and Bellena weren't going out for shopping, she had more time to spend with taking in the details of the neighbourhood. With her more informal wear, she at least blended in a little bit better, though the silvery-snow white hair still turned some heads. The ensemble, made of light cotton, was an aesthetically pleasing blend of Rokugani and Merenaese, with a kimono-like jacket in pale green and silver over a deep sea-green Merenaese-styled skirt. The look was completed with a simple sash of golden yellow around her waist.

Her artistic eye was noting the uniform shape of the streets and avenues here, giving the impression that it was a planned project to build this particular district, and she made a few notes in her journal as she continued on.

Passing by another estate, Utsusemi stopped in her tracks... it felt foreboding, she noted as she paused to look up at it. The oak trees there seemed to obscure it from view, and it somehow made it feel worse. The Agasha supressed a shudder.

Theme #5Profile

Honour: Exceptional • Status: 5.0 • Glory: 5.1 (Lady of the Golden Moon's Words)
Faith: Exceptional • Status: 4.0 • Reputation: 2.7 (Lady Uxue)
Languages: Rokugani, Merenaese
Has: Wakizashi, flute, notebook (new), small knife, satchel (contains medicine kit and paint supplies).

Post subject: Re: Exploring Dragon (D6, LA)
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:03 pm 

"I never picture you as the skulking type," a familiar voice spoke from behind. There stood Zabieru in all his infamy and glory, the same shit eating grin present in his face. He turned towards the estate. "Like it? My family's estate."

Equipment: Rapier, navigation tools, light armor when applicable

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:07 pm 

Well... that certainly explained the ill feeling around the place, Utsusemi quickly reasoned as she saw the familiar figure.

"Merely looking around. I didn't get the chance yesterday when I passed through." Even if he was uncouth and honorless, her Doji manners simply didn't allow her to not maintain her own at an impeccable level.

"... It seems... different from the other estates. Might be the oak trees," she noted as she looked up at it again. "An unusual sight compared to the more flowery trees I see elsewhere."

Theme #5Profile

Honour: Exceptional • Status: 5.0 • Glory: 5.1 (Lady of the Golden Moon's Words)
Has: Wakizashi, flute, notebook (new), small knife, satchel (contains medicine kit and paint supplies).

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:14 pm 

He snickered as he admired the oaks before turning to her, his grin turned into a half smile. "The only thing that grows in abundance in Aberri. Oaks and thistle," he explained in a much tamer tone than usual. "There are a few flowers here and there, but most flowery trees do not thrive in the cold, rainy, environment of Aberri. There are flowers though but not in the abundance you might be used to."

He eyed her for a few moments before lowering his head. "I wouldn't feel proper if I did not invite you in," he spoke in an, again, surprisingly not sleazy tone. "Please let me show you around."

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:24 pm 

"Hm, you might be surprised. Flowers are scarce in the lands of the Dragons," she reminded with a polite, even warm tone.

A part of her thought it sounded like a bad idea and tried to urge her to make a snappy remark and leave. Damn Doji-breeding winning out though. "I'd be very grateful, thank you, if it does not impose on your time or your family."

Theme #5Profile

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:32 pm 

"I never had the pleasure of visiting the lands of your Clan," he smiled. "Though I would love to speak with the members of your family. Especially those as brilliant as your husband though," he eyed her with a knowing smile. "I guess I should thank you for making sure his worth was broadcasted around the Empire?"

He laughed at her remark, "my family? None has lived here since my brother sold this after my mother's demise. I am the first of my family to walk this gardens in months," he moved to open the large door of iron as black as sin; the gate creaked with an ominous screech as the wind rustled the oaks. "Shall we?"

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:42 pm 

This was how ghost stories started, wasn't it?

Still, fear was something she had come to learn with, it wasn't something that would break her now over this. "After you then, señor." She nodded, letting him lead the way.

"My husband does not care much for politics or social games," she stated as a matter-of-fact, most who knew him knew he was fairly no-nonsense with little interest in games. "As his wife, it is only proper I support him and his work however I am able."

Theme #5Profile

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:59 pm 

"Each of us have our strengths," he said as he took her through the stony path towards his house, that rose imposing among the sea of dark green. "It is good that you've given him his proper credit. I've read some of his works. Heck, I own more than a copy of them."

A few statues of greenish grey stone populated the canopy and an educated guess would pinpoint them as seastone. The statues depicted marine life with a particular predominance for fearsome looking teethed whale and large coiling sea serpents, there were a few more but they were in the distance obscured by the canopy and some could have a faint feminine figure.

The house had a large reinforced oaken door flanked by two stele with a weird symbol engraved to its stony surface. "The Lauburu," he commented as he opened the door. "The symbol of the Abertzale people."

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:08 pm 

Her gaze wandered between the statues, taking note of the material they seemed to be made of, as well as their unpleasant shapes. It was not pleasing to the eye or the senses. Her senses lingered for a few moments in the direction of what looked liked it might be a statue of a female figure of sorts... his sea-goddess?

"I am certain he'd be honored to hear it," she commented, a little absent-mindedly as her attention was for the moment a bit more on the surroundings, until he opened the door. "Is there a particular meaning to the symbol, apart from just representing the Abertzale people?"

Utsusemi stumbled a little over the pronounciation of the unfamiliar name, maintaing that very obvious Rokugani accent when she spoke a foreign tongue.

Theme #5Profile

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:47 pm 

"Nobody knows," he shrugged. "Some say they represent the four winds or the four corners of Aberri. People love to put meaning to things," he smirked. "To me, it looks like an easy symbol to draw. Kind of looks like our 'manji' symbol."

The house was surprisingly cozy inside, albeit slightly dark. "Come Agasha-san," he took her to a rather large room, probably the main room. A large banner hung over the fireplace as a small fire burned in the hearth. "I had the help prepare a fire for the end of the day. The temperature drops considerably here."

"Do you wish to drink anything? Eat?"

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:07 am 

"Hm, manji or tomowe," Utsusemi nodded as she thought it over. Was it usual for them to lose the meaning of their symbols?

Following him still, she was maybe a little surprised that it didn't seem like the lair of some sort of pillowbook villain. "Does it?" she mused, her chin lifting as she looked up at the banner. It was a rather strange mon. If the building was mostly compromised of stone, it would explain the chill at night.

"Hm... no, I'm fine. It's a rather sudden visit, after all, so there's no need to to be troubled on my behalf." Unlike the night on the Amaterasu's Grace, she was now much calmer and collected, and her manners perfected.

Theme #5Profile

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:13 am 

"Please," he smiled. "I am always ready to receive guests. At least accept a drink."

He moved towards a small cabinet and retrieved a glass decanter and two cups; it was filled with a crimson liquid. He opened and took a sniff before pouring the contents on the two cups.

"Patxaran," he commented as he handed her one of the drinks; the smell of the drink was sweet and anise-like. "It is made of wild berries. Perfect to end a meal or start a night."

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:26 am 

Wasn't there a ghost story about an oni that would dress up as a human man, visiting geisha houses and the like to find pretty women to eat them... she thought idly as she watched him move to the cabinet. But then there would be mirrors, as the oni would often check its disguise.

"Thank you," she accepted the cup, smelling the drink as she had seen some of the locals do when drinking their wine. "Is this the same as... port, I believe it was called?"

Not being one to act like she thought she was given a poisoned drink, Utsusemi took a small sip at first to sample the taste.

Theme #5Profile

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:57 am 

There certainly were no mirrors in this house but that didn't mean there wasn't something different about it. There seemed to be a faint briney scent hanging in the air; furthermore the stones seemed to a honey with the same opaque glow as the statues outside.

Xabier took a healthy sip. "Port is made from another fruit," he smiled. "This is much closer to shochu or plum wine."

"Have you found suitable accommodations?"

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:06 am 

It tasted different than anything she had tried before, but it was not unpleasant to the palate, and she took another sip. "It is quite good," she said with a small nod.

"... Yes, I have. A manor in the hillsides of the western port, so I'm not too far away from the Kunshu Maru in case I am needed there. Mirumoto Kenzo-san has taken up residence in the other wing of the manor, as my yojimbo." Her hazel eyes were partially veiled by her thick lashes as she looked down at the cup in her hand. "Finding a place to stay must have been easy for you when the order was given, seeing as you have an entire estate here."

"Your home seems... different, than what I've seen elsewhere on the island? I can't quite put my finger on it."

Theme #5Profile

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:25 pm 

He once again broke into a fit of laughter when she suggested getting his estate back had been an easy task. "At all," he winked. "I am the youngest child which means I inherited nothing save for my family name. The oldest brother gets everything."

"Now," he continued sensing her follow-up question. "My older brother decided to liquidate every asset he had in this island. That means this estate had been sold to another. Someone who hoped the past splendor that had blessed these halls would permeate into their sorry life."

"Fortunately the man was sensible," he smirked. "Understanding the necessity of selling the house back to a member of the family that had built this place from scratch. Sure he did incur a loss, but what is money when he facilitated fate?"

He eyed her curiously when she mentioned the house feeling different. "Glad you've noticed," he smirked. "The house is almost exclusively built with stones mined from the seaside quarries of Aberri. These stones carry the essence of the ocean in them," he took a deep breath. "Can't you feel it? The smell of the ocean."

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:08 pm 

She glanced to the banner once more as he spoke of the troubles of getting his home back. Not that she understood why people would want to live here, but then again... there was a limit to space on an island.

Utsusemi breathed in, and yes, it smelled like the sea... like most places on the island.

"I grew up not far from the sea, but I never heard of stones carrying the essence of the sea." She gave the floor another look.

Theme #5Profile

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:16 pm 

"That is because you've never been near a proper sea," he laughed as he refilled their cups. "Rokugan is bathed by what could only be called a large sea rather than an ocean. The currents are not strong, so the weather in the coast is most amenable and sailing does not require too much work. I am certain pleasure barges populate the waters of your lands," he asked rhetorically. "Aberri, on the other hand, is bathed by an ocean. A proper one."

"These stones," he motioned to them. "Are the blood of the ocean. It's blessing. Strong and durable. The signs of a proper ocean."

"You know," he leaned back. "I've heard a lot of the Doji Lands but I never visited them. Known the lands south, Mura Sabishii Toshi and the smaller towns, but of the lands of the Doji? No clue."

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:55 am 

"True, the ships I was on in my younger years were for sightseeing along the coast, even when travelling," she confirmed with a small nod.

"A pity though, the lands of the Doji might perhaps be one of the greatest works of art in the Empire. Everything is carefully maintained and preserved, even the woods and hills are aestheticly pleasing to look at. You can hardly turn your head in any of the Doji provinces without seeing a scenic vista worthy of a poem or a painting. One could say that all the lands of the Doji are like one gargantuan garden, where art and culture is cultivated as much as one cultivates flowers and beauty."

Utsusemi smirked slightly. "It is quite a stark difference from the lands of my current family; which is far removed from the sea, as well as most large bodies of water. Nature in Dragon lands is untamed, and as harsh and unforgiving as it was since the mountains first came to be. But it has it's own beauty, and if one is willing to brave the dangers of cliffs and perilous heights, there are views so breathtaking you may feel like you are looking out at the entire world before you."

Realising she was starting to babble on, she took another small sip of the red drink. "Forgive me, I often get carried away on the subject."

Theme #5Profile

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:30 pm 

The Tortoise listened silently, cup in hand, as the Dragon eagerly spoke about the topic at hand. He laughed as she apologized. "No need Agasha-san. I very much enjoyed your stories," he remarked. "Even if I were to visit those lands it is always nice to perceive them through their inhabitant's eyes."

He scrutinized the woman in silence, the crackling of the fire soon becoming the only noise in the room. "Lady Doji-no-Kami did not die," he finally spoke. "Is that correct Agasha-san?"

Page 1 of 2 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next