Login FAQ  
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:35 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Page 2 of 3 [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post subject: Re: Gotta Knock a Little Harder (Day 13 Early Morning.)
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:05 am 

Utsusemi listened, calmly taking it in before she nodded. "I am in complete agreement with you, Matsu-san."

She tapped her fan against her chin in thought. That Yajinden had asked Yasuhiro to abandon Bushido was surprising, and disappointing... she had expected better of the man from her former clan.

"This divide, as you call it, I have seen it too... it is why I feel I must return to Rokugan. Well, one of the reasons after returning to my family, if we are being completely honest," she gave a wry smile. "I do not believe this is just a mere issue between progress and tradition, as I do not think our traditions will fall apart simply because we choose to learn more of the world outside and embrace new learning... I would be a poor child of Doji if I believed the Empire she helped create with her divine siblings could fall so easily to that alone."

"But, if we need to be united against what lies further down the river, Matsu-san, then we need to work together. We need to be strong together." She lowered her voice, knowing that what she spoke now could very well be dangerous words. "I do believe that we are being weakened on purpose, divided further, so that when the prince returns with the Unicorn - either as an invading army or long-lost Ki-Rin - the clans are too divided to stand against it in any way."

Theme #5Profile

Honour: Exceptional • Status: 5.0 • Glory: 5.1 (Lady of the Golden Moon's Words)
Faith: Exceptional • Status: 4.0 • Reputation: 2.7 (Lady Uxue)
Languages: Rokugani, Merenaese
Has: Wakizashi, flute, notebook (new), small knife, satchel (contains medicine kit and paint supplies).

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:29 am 

That caused the Lion to raise an eyebrow, it was not something he had considered but it was a viable option now that he thought about it. "Interesting, and completely possible. The Unicorn were indeed once the Kirin..." He replied his own voice low. "They do not have any part of Rokugan left in their hearts though, not as far as I've seen. They would destroy our people with sufficient justification, or at least they'd try to." That at least was the impression he had been given.

There was a small pause. "I do not believe that's the only front he moves on though... The wedding today for example, while I do wish Muhaki Bellena happiness. It is not a match that brings the Tortoise closer to the Empire, at least as far as I can see. It brings them closer to the Mereanese if anything."

Honor: Exceptional | Status: 6.0 | Glory: 4.4| Infamy: 1.0 | Reputation: 1.7 | Notoriety: 1.1

Carries: Daisho, Kimono, Finger of Jade
When allowed: Yumi, Light Armor

Merenaese

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:40 am 

"On that, I must disagree, Matsu-san. I have grown close to Bellena-san as a good friend and she has taught me much, and I have learned that while she has a different background than most, she loves the Empire as much as we do - indeed, I'd say she is more samurai than some who were born and raised in Rokugan." Even if she disagreed, she spoke with great respect to both the Lion, and of the Muhaki who would be a bride later today.

She smiled slightly. "Though from what I understand, it is the sanctioned duty of the Tortoise to handle matters outside the Empire... if we wish for the Ki-rin to return, rather than the invading army of the Tarkhanate, then we must support the Tortoise in their duty; they stand in the best position to sway those within the ranks there. Saionji-dono is a man who has connections to the Unicorn, and Bellena-san spent much time in lands where they hold much sway and understands them in a way we do not. Together, I believe they can be the leadership needed for the Tortoise to do what is best to lessen the damage done to the Empire by the arrival of Shinjo's children."

Utsusemi sighed softly, knowing that even if Saionji and Bellena succeeded on that front, it did not change anything at home. But these would be two different battlefields.

"You are you returning to Rokugan, are you not, Matsu-san? I believe that we could perhaps try to work together, to strengthen all of us, if possible. That a Dragon-formerly a Crane, and a Matsu, would join forces together, would surely set a good precedent?"

Theme #5Profile

Honour: Exceptional • Status: 5.0 • Glory: 5.1 (Lady of the Golden Moon's Words)
Has: Wakizashi, flute, notebook (new), small knife, satchel (contains medicine kit and paint supplies).

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 1:30 am 

The Lion frowned softly, though his tone was respectful as he addressed the Crane. "I wasn't talking about your opinion or my opinion Agasha-sama, as you said, despite her gaijin roots Muhaki-sama is a fine samurai. I'm speaking of how it will look to the eyes of the Empire at large. The new Champion of the Tortoise marrying one of his clan members, in a small ceremony on some small island. When they hear his wife is of gaijin birth as well?" He shook his head. "It's likely to cause problems, though that may again be my opinion on the matter." That Hantei Jama allowed it also meant that the pair likely served him, or at least his interests. Though he left that unsaid.

"Either way, there is little point in discussing it, it's as good as done after all."

"As for working together, it's a interesting idea, but I had planned to strengthen my own clan upon my return, Agasha-sama. Even if we were to work together though, do you think it would set a good example? At the moment the Matsu would never accept such a thing. No offense to you but they would probably look down on me. They would say I'm pandering or call me a traitor. Some of the Akodo might look kindly on it, others wouldn't though. As for the Kitsu and Ikoma? I can't say."

"No if we were in some ways to work together, I don't believe it could be openly."

Honor: Exceptional | Status: 6.0 | Glory: 4.4| Infamy: 1.0 | Reputation: 1.7 | Notoriety: 1.1

Merenaese

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 1:41 am 

She disagreed, but, "you're right, there is no point in us discussing the subject of their marriage further."

His reply did disappoint her, and she let it only show with a slight frown. "No offense taken." So the Lion are in shambles. We can't have that if we need to be prepared for the Tarkhanate, and whatever these feuding princes will do to us all.

"Just remember that the Lion cannot stand alone, Matsu-san, but... at least consider it. I am not opposed to making sure that our views are similarly inclined, so we can work toward a common goal, even if we are not openly doing so."

Theme #5Profile

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 3:21 am 

"I've been mostly alone in my views the entire time I've been on this Island Agasha-sama, but I've managed to survive." Yasuhiro replied with a lopsided smile. "I'll remember your words though, and as I said I am willing to help, discreetly."

"I need to see to my clan though, the recent Seppuku of my Daimyo, the opening of the Tao in our dojo's. There are a lot of unsettled voices speaking up within my clan. They must be seen to much in the way harmony needs to be turn to the Crane."

Merenaese

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 3:35 am 

"I am afraid that I am not much in a position to influence my former clan, Matsu-san, apart from petitions to my birth-family," her smile turned a little sad, knowing the difficult circumstances in the Clan of Doji.

No thanks to the Lion really in that regard.

"But... if I may ask, what about Kitsu Keiji-sama? I seem to recall he will be returning home too? I cannot imagine he does not share many similar thoughts to yourself."

Theme #5Profile

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:32 am 

"He stands on your side of the river Agasha-sama." The Lion replied with a small smile. "To me his thoughts are as impenetrable as yours."

"I suppose I could speak to him, but I am not one to trust often, or freely."

Merenaese

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:41 am 

"You are of the same clan, and he is a Kitsu. It might not mean much to you, but I hold him in high regard as an honorable man and a good leader." The Dragon smiled. "I mean no offense, but you might need friends within who are capable of making others listen."

Theme #5Profile

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:36 pm 

"Friends." He chuckled lightly. "I did try to make friends here Agasha-sama." The Lion offered plainly. "You mentioned I might be one with your yojimbo, but there are reasons I can say he isn't. Though he isn't the one that treated me most callously in the Explorers, that title belongs to Seppun Hinami."

"You are the closest thing I have to a friend here Agasha-sama, and I'm sure you would agree we are not. I don't retain much trust for anyone in the Explorers, that includes my Clan mate. As you said he is a fine samurai, but if I told him of this conversation, I believe it would reach the ears of Hantei-no-kimi."

Merenaese

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:08 pm 

"Ah, that is a good point," she acknowledged. To her, Keiji had just seemed like most Lion samurai, who just obeyed those above them without much though... and that was also a bad thing in this case.

"And honestly, Matsu-san, if you were to call me friend, I would be honoured. You sell yourself short sometimes," Utsusemi chuckled softly, though it faded quickly. "What exactly happened between you and Hinami-san, if I may ask? I have heard her side of the story, but I am curious as to what you would say."

Theme #5Profile

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:43 pm 

His lips moved into a faint smile as she acknowledged his point about Keiji. He might not be right of course, but it was a risk yasu wasn't going to take.

"To explain that fully I should probably go through most of the meetings between Seppun-sama and myself Agasha-sama." The Lion offered after a moment. "In our first meeting she treated me with Disdain, like I was lower then her, she was lost in a garden maze though, so I showed her compassion and helped her fond the way out. Our second meeting was on the docks, I was watching the stars and the water, and out of courtesy asked her to join me. She repaid me by insulting my intentions and my honor. Again I let the slight pass though."

There was a small pause his lips curling into a frown. "Our third real meeting was likely the best. I know most women don't find me attractive, and it was then she could finally look at me without having to try and hide the disgust in her eyes." His lips curled into a smirk. "By the fourth I thought I had won her trust, though that ended up not being the case, my honesty was repaid with lies."

"She proved this herself in our forth meeting, when her actions and words did not align. She had dressed herself in the finest clothes, covered herself in gifts from the governor, and was constantly looking in the man's direction. She was in love, and I'm not fool enough not to see it." He shook his head, trying perhaps to dispel the thought of it from his mind. "She had asked me for my opinion though, and I gave it honestly, though not kindly, I did insult her. It was my hope that she would duel me for it, and then perhaps I could believe I was more then just refuse in her eyes." He looked the Dragon woman in the eyes. "I asked her for this one kindness, this one chance to prove to me she viewed me as a Samurai. She did not give it."

"I view her as no better then the worst of the gaijin now."

Merenaese

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:06 pm 

Utsusemi listened with the attention she had showed all the samurai who had spoken with her of their troubles. With understanding and patience. Meeting his gaze when he sought it.

As Yasuhiro finished, she sighed deeply as she closed her eyes and resisted the urge to pinch the bridge of her nose, or put her palm against her face (it would be unseemly)... though she couldn't stop herself from massaging her right temple.

Both of them were so incredibly... dumb. Was I this bad that age? Hinami for her callousness, forgetting that Courtesy too is a virtue, even to one's enemy. And Yasuhiro for simply not knowing when to keep his mouth shut. Etiquette lessons were sorely lacking in Matsu-land, she assumed.

"And what would the duel be worth in the end, Matsu-san? It would have been your third on this expedition... were you intent on casting away your honour and accept the shame of defeat, merely for a chance to correct a young girl?" The closed fan touched her lips, her expression neutral. "... No, you would have not. You might act carelessly in social situations, but you had something else you wanted to prove from it...?"

Theme #5Profile

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:21 pm 

"Perhaps so." He admitted after a moment "I admit to being angry at the time, Asahina-sama had just encouraged me to share my honest opinions, before telling me to abandon bushido."

"I suppose I wished to prove that even in this foreign land, in a foreign party. With faces hidden behind masks, and wearing gaijin clothes, that Bushido should still be observed. That without it we are all less. At the same time it just might show all those party goers a bit of who we are. We had accepted so much of who they were after all."

Merenaese

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:28 pm 

Utsusemi smirked slightly as Yasuhiro admitted more of his intentions.

"Perhaps a good thing we did not cross paths that evening then, Matsu-san, as I was wearing a mask and was dressed in clothing of Merenaese-make myself. Do you still think I have abandoned our ways, or become too enamoured with the ways of the gaijin?" she asked in a light-hearted tone, clearly not going to be insulted if he said yes. Utsusemi, compared to the younger samurai like Hinami, knew where her loyalties and dedication were.

"Personally, for me, the event was not too different from my time in the Academy. It was not unusual that we would wear costumes and masks - play parts and pretend to be something or someone else."

Theme #5Profile

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:00 pm 

"You are likely right Agasha-sama, I would of insulted you, and I don't believe eitger of us would have come out the better for it."

"Though I do admit there was a tertiary goal involved as well, and that was to see if the Gaijin would try to step in if there was a duel with Seppun-sama."

"As for the party, as you know I looked at it in a different way. But then I believe I look at many things different then most. I look for the small things, the things most
people don't consider important. Or so I believe. What one wears, who they speak to what language they use above others. Did they trust their katana or wakazashi to the gaijin at the door?"

"It's because it's in the small things I believe change really start to show, it's where we don't notice them, and where they slowly make our way into our daily lives, and where they slowly, but inevitably change us."

Merenaese

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:19 pm 

"Ah," she chuckled briefly. "Matsu-san, if you merely had communicated your thoughts in such a tactful manner as you are now, I am confident more would listen. Though this is probably why Kenzo-san speaks so well of you, as I assume you have kept a similar tone with him as you have with me?"

That he had not answered her question of whether he thought she had strayed too far from Rokugani was noted.

"But you are correct that it is the small things that chip away at something... though change is something we can never really stop. The idea to fold steel, to coat part of the blade in clay to achieve a perfect balance between hard and soft steel, that was once a new idea too. Saibankan-no-kami changed the justice system first placed down at the beginning of the Empire."

Utsusemi's smile was patient and understanding. "I understand what you are trying to say, Matsu-san. But as you said earlier, we need to stand united against the threat that is coming... just as we needed to be united during our time here on this expedition. I still sincerely believe that the question of whether or not to embrace or turn our backs on these changes are not the crux of the issues we face, but rather that they have become weapons of division wielded by two mighty men who form it to fit their own agendas in their pursuit of power. And I believe either would easily discard it or change it further if it would serve their goal."

Theme #5Profile

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:36 pm 

"My temper gets the best of me sometimes Agasha-sama, it's a failing of mine, but I do try to be tactful when I can. Which has been the case in most of my meetings with Mirumoto-san."

He nodded slightly. "I've said it before Agasha-sama, not to you perhaps but others. I don't fight against change, I just don't embrace it. I'm not going to walk carelessly down a path when I don't see where it ends. I'm fine with moving forward though, once I figure out which path is the correct one."

"That I've come to believe that such a path isn't one either of those two mighty men will lead us down is a conundrum all on its own."

Merenaese

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:09 pm 

"There are certainly more than just those two paths ahead, Matsu-san, but they are less obvious and difficult to see. But, I can certainly respect your position in not wanting to committ to something before you have seen all the options," she gave a nod to him. "That is the right way to go about this, after all. Too many run blindly ahead..." Though sometimes, one has to make leaps of faith.

"But, knowing you are returning to the Empire as I am, I look forward to seeing how we can work together towards a common purpose. Despite our differences, it seems we share many of the same views."

Theme #5Profile

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:09 pm 

In all honesty he was more interested in forging his own path, for him and his clan. It need not involve either of the two brothers at all. "I've noticed that myself." He agreed with a nod. "They look towards immediate gain, or loss and not what lies a step beyond. I admit I've been guilty of the same myself. You are right though, there are more then just two paths ahead, on just needs to search for the right one."

"It should prove interesting at the very least. I see a few disagreements ahead, but I suppose that just means finding a path around them." The young Lion replied with a faint smile.

Merenaese

Page 2 of 3 [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next