Login FAQ  
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:09 pm

Page 1 of 1 [ 17 posts ] 

Post subject: My New Favorite Building [D9 LA]
PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 5:23 am 

There was a new library on the island. THERE WAS A NEW LIBRARY ON THE ISLAND. If Ruqqayah hadn't had so many other things she needed to know, she would have camped outside the day before it opened. As it was, she was only just getting there. But after visiting Suihime's home it was a vital to cross reference.

So she arrived at the library, stepping inside and looking around to get the lay of the land. "Good afternoon...!"

Carries/Owns: Wakizashi, Tanto, Musket, Fan
Speaks: Rokugani, Mekhem, Yobanjin, Merenaese, Ujik-hai, Senpet

Post subject: Re: My New Favorite Building [D9 LA]
PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 6:46 am 

The Unicorn enters the library to the sight of the merest wisp of a girl with shock white hair, writing at one of the tables.

A new guest?

At least, this one hasn't come in while Tori's been on the grounds. She rises, and moves to greet her new guest with a bow, "Good afternoon... Iuchi-sama, I believe?" She had minimal interaction with the children of Shinjo so far, but she'd been told of their markings. "My name is Asahina Tori; welcome to the First Library of the Explorers."

The construction is new, and not terribly sophisticated. Shelves are somewhat lacking, though it isn't bad for a new facility. A significant portion of the collection appears to be of more recent writing, though there are six texts arrayed in the center of the library that are clearly the focal point of the collection.

Rokugani * Thrane * Merenaese

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 8:39 am 

Ruqqayah smiled at the correct identification. She wasn't used to the Explorers having the first idea about her people, say nothing of that. She returned the bow. "Thank you for the welcome, Asahina-san. You are correct... I am Iuch Rukaya. It's a pleasure to meet you." She cast her eyes around the room. "I'm so glad I've finally been able to come visit. I've been curious since I heard it was being erected."

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 10:40 am 

"Well I am glad you've made the time," the Crane beams.

"While our library is new, I hope for this place to serve as a place where the many peoples of this island can come together and share in culture and knowledge," she gestures her guest further inside. "Would you care for some tea?"

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 1:12 pm 

A soft rustling of robes indicated that they weren't alone; Yajinden had just selected another book from a shelf behind them and moved to his lectern.

"The roots of evil don't rest in Jigoku, but within the hearts of men."

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:39 pm 

Ruqqayah bowed to him, as well, but it seemed rude to interrupt his study with a greeting. Instead, she turned back to Tori. "Please... Tea would be lovely, thank you."

"You already have a good collection for such a new place. That and getting the building ready so quickly are impressive steps toward a laudable goal."

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 5:57 am 

"Very kind of you; please, give me just one moment."

Tori slips away to head to her house, where she had a pot of hot water on the boil, and fetch her tea set. A practiced ritual she sets about competently, even if she's not terribly good at it and her approach is rather mechanical.

She pours out three cups, and delivers the first to Yajinden with a quiet bow, not wishing to disturb his studies, before serving her guest, and finally herself. A light, green tea, bought locally from the Tortoise.

"This place is actually one I had planned since before we set out; a voyage of discovery serves no one if those discoveries are not shared, ne?"

((Tea Ceremony, FR for difficulty: 3d10o10k2 19, pass.))

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:41 am 

"I see... That makes sense. Do you intend to write about the voyage and its discoveries yourself, as well?" She asked with a smile before taking a sip of the tea. "This is lovely, thank you."

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:07 am 

Tori nods acknowledgement at the thanks.

"Oh, I have been a great deal; I actually have my own shelf toward the back," omitting, of course, more sensitive logs, "that I might fill before I leave, though I've been trying to edit down to a more manageable form when I get the time. My areas of expertise tend towards taxonomy and climate."

She grabs a stack of papers she was working on earlier; not writings, but drawings of a local shallow-water fish. Or rather, of one fish, over and over again, each drawing seemingly a fraction of a second after the next, capturing the details of how the fish moves, how its body shifts. Next to that, she places diagrams visually displaying fluid motion, an attempt to understand precisely how the fish's motion propels it forward.

"This is a personal specialty of mine; a memory trick I use to capture motion."

((Lore: Nature preceding Artisan: 10d10o10k5 40, I'm going to assume that's a pass.
Artisan: Drawing, FR from Lore: Nature: 5d10o10k3 37, that'll do.))

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:03 am 

"I'll have to make a point to take a look before I return home," she notes before looking at the stack of papers. She looks between the diagrams and the sketches. Paging through a few of the latter, something occurs to her and she lifts the bottom page, letting them fall quickly one by one. "Very interesting. I haven't seen someone capture it in quite this way before."

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 6:01 am 

"It's a technique of my own creation," Tori says simply before taking a sip of tea, in her courtier-trained not-brag tone.

"I actually developed it as a girl drawing birds on the beach. The moment of take off and landing is fascinating, but rather complicated to get in detail. Actually capturing one instant, and then a sequence... well, that took a great deal of time staring intently at seagulls and probably looking rather silly."

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:21 am 

"Fascinating... I can only imagine. When I think about there, there are a great many subtle movements that happen quickly," she agrees, thinking back to watching birds of prey. "It makes it so much easier to imagine."

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:05 am 

"Oh, birds of prey," Tori shakes her head, "Now they are hard! I've tried to capture that motion quite a few times, but I haven't really been satisfied with how those have turned out, and those are back home."

She gets up and grabs another collection of papers. "Larger birds are definitely much easier; on our way here, I was lucky enough to get the chance to observe an albatross catching a fish, and I think that one turned out well."

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 3:37 am 

"They move so fast sometimes it's hard to see them at all... And in the desert it's even more of a challenge, since most creatures come out at night. I liked watching ibises in the river as a child though," she smiled a little.

"Oh, wow... About the biggest you could ask for there." She flipped through the pages. "It's surprisingly graceful for its size."

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 6:32 am 

"Not many," Tori agrees, "Though there is one I've heard of," Tori considers.

"Have you ever heard of a creature called a... roc?" Her pronunciation is awkward, but all accounts she'd received have been written, and translated multiple times. "I've heard varying reports on its size, and whether or not it is even real, but if it does exist, I would love to observe it in its natural habitat some day."

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:14 am 

"I've heard of them, and they're definitely real. If you look along the original path we took from Rokugan, you might find something," she said. She was admittedly being vague, not sure what details her people would feel it would be permissable for their distant cousins to know, but she could offer something, at least. "They're extremely dangerous, though, so if you do seek them out, please be extraordinarily careful."

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:49 am 

Tori considers for a moment. Of course, her first reaction is to ask for an exact location, but clearly, she's being vague on purpose. So, Tori simply nods and accepts it. "Maybe some day; I shall be careful. I'd rather not see myself nor the roc hurt."

Page 1 of 1 [ 17 posts ]