Login FAQ  
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:06 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Page 1 of 2 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: Sunset [E-1, Beach]
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:36 am 

This place was magical once. A quiet little spot, with a little island nearby when the tides were right, great for a little privacy, especially at this hour.

Nowadays, it's... nice. That island seems to have eroded away in the last few months. It was only ever a sand bar, really. And they're bringing buildings further and further out. She tried warding things off by urging a small land claim nearby, where some of the college's staff quarters are now, but it was accepting the lesser of the evils.

Still, she climbs up her rocky outcropping, with her little weather station, and looks out over the water, at the sunset, and captures it with charcoal and pad. More a hobbyist drawing, but out of habit, she captures the moment in her mind, and immortalizes details of the sky and the waves.

((Artisan: Drawing: 5d10o10k3 20, for shiggles.))

Last edited by Asahina Tori on Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rokugani * Thrane * Merenaese

Post subject: Re: Sunset [E-1, Beach]
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:50 am 

Akarei came out to the beach as well. She too went out to the rocks, though her eyes went not to the waves but instead to the sky. She removed her mask but kept it in one hand as she looked for portents for the coming days. I thought the sun would have set by the time I came here. Regardless, the view is pleasant. It'll be the last opportunity for me to remember it for the days to come.

Her attention shifted to the beautiful Crane woman sketching the view. She hurriedly replaced the mask on her face and gave a friendly smile. "Ah, excuse me. I thought I would be alone here."

General Theme | Stargazing Theme | Battle Theme

Typically Carries: Robes, Mask, Fan, Wakizashi, Knife, Scroll Satchel, Divination Kit, Paper Wards

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:14 am 

Tori turns at the voice, noticing first the red, then her eyes travel up, where she keeps seeing red! Her eyes have to scan again, taking in the striking red hair.

Is that natural?

Not the important question.

She sets her drawing down, then hops to her feet and dusts off; she's a tiny little thing, and still looks up to this Scorpion.

"Those are becoming harder to find by the day," she admits. "But I find a sunset is more beautiful with a friend, ne?"

The Crane bows, "Please, call me Tori," she introduces herself cheerfully.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:26 am 

The priestess perked a brow behind her mask at the remark regarding a friend. Nonetheless, she returned the bow, at the same level for the time being. "Yogo Akarei," she stated formally. She tapped her foot awkwardly and then looked over to the sky. "A bird longs to be in the sky," she threw out, unaware of how correct her poor attempt at a joke was.

Typically Carries: Robes, Mask, Fan, Wakizashi, Knife, Scroll Satchel, Divination Kit, Paper Wards

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:38 am 

That comment gets to the Crane.

Oh, Scorpion. Always with two faces. So this one does know who she is.

"This bird will be in the sky," she corrects. "I've proven it can be done. The rest is a matter of refining my designs, and working on the landing."

A lot of refining, and a lot of work.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:47 am 

The amicable expression on her lips faded as she listened to Crane. She looked away briefly, formulating her own thoughts, before looking back to the diminutive scholar in front of her. "Flight has been possible for those fortunate enough for centuries. It certainly can be done."

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:00 am 

Is that so?

Her smile shifts quickly from a genuine smile to her politest, fakest Doji smile.

"Some use that method," she admits. "But I think I'll find my own way, thank you." Bitch.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:21 am 

"I imagine you consider yourself one of the progressives of the world." She shrugged. "Innovation in itself is not an issue. But when it threatens the foundation of culture and tradition," she trailed off. She looked the white-haired woman over, a bit longer than she had meant to. "Where do you place yourself, Tori-san?"

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:49 am 

And it all comes back to politics. Just a maneuver to learn if they are political rivals.

“You’ve forgotten the sunset, Yogo-san,” the Crane points out, then takes a seat, looking out onto the distance for a time, taking it in as the last light of day escapes below the horizon. When it is gone, she speaks. “Lady Agasha once asked, why did the kami bless this world with such beautiful puzzles if not so that we could solve them? Right now, our own are arguing so bitterly about their interpretation of philosophies and traditions that they forget the gifts we were given. You ask what side I am on?”

She sweeps her arm out to the blazing line of the horizon, “I choose that one.”

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:37 am 

The Yogo let out a small sigh and complied with the distraction at hand. She took a seat with enough space from the other woman. She glanced over and then decided to remove her mask once more. Her head was tilted away as to still conceal her face. Right. I was here to memorize the sunset for the coming voyage.

Akarei replaced her mask and then looked back to the Crane. "I suppose another method of flight is a puzzle to be solved," she remarked, "I imagine that you cannot merely place fabricated bird wings on a human and make them fly." She paused and turned her attention to the ground. "You mentioned something about landing?"

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:51 pm 

Tori's eyes stay fixed on the horizon, old memories coming back. Just how far did you fly, sis?

"My initial design is through use of a kite. I've already successfully designed a kite capable of bearing a human weight. Unfortunately, that much weight and the necessary speed makes control rather difficult. During the first test flight, well... let's just say my test doll isn't going to be walking any time soon."

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:57 pm 

"I see," she said, actual interest seeping out of her tone. She remained silent in her own thoughts for a few moments. "A kite? Would that not require a ground operator at all times? An individual to reel the flyer down to the ground?" The priestess perked a brow, though the motion was pointless. "How does one lift off into the sky with such a contraption?" she asked, not out of judgment but rather curiosity.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:11 pm 

"It's a beginning, not an end," she shoots back.

"For now, a source of speed on the ground will be necessary. Once I have a working model that can take off and land safely, I can begin with a human rider, and refine controls, then go into autonomous gliding and means of self-propulsion. I have a few ideas for that right now, but nothing has solidified quite yet."

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:29 am 

"I suppose it is not an instantaneous process. A sword is not forged in a day." Akarei let out a pensive breath of air. "What would you use for propulsion? I am at a loss of an effective means."

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:38 am 

“The wings provide a gliding and possibly steering method to maintain maximum energy,” she explains first, working her way toward her answer the long way. “Minimizing losses to reduce need for propulsion in the first place is key. From there, I’m considering a variety of paddle methods. Human-powered might work if the design is efficient enough. Otherwise, I may be able to store a limited amount of energy in springs or bound cord.”

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:47 am 

"Conservation of air time. That sounds reasonable." The redhead looked up to the sky and then back to the diminutive Asahina. "How long are the end travel times supposed to be? Would you want to fly across that entire sea instead of taking sail?"

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:52 pm 

Now there’s ambition.

“Want? Absolutely,” she answers without hesitation. “But something like that is surely generations out. I’m going to see how far I can go in my lifetime, and others can continue my work when I’m gone.”

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 9:48 pm 

"I suppose this project has the luxury of not being of the utmost urgency," she stated plainly, though there was a dab of jaded poison in there. The Yogo smirked at her. "At the very least, you would be the pioneer and remembered for it."

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:45 am 

Tori brushes off the jab. it's less coarse criticism than she's used to on the project.

"I suspect there will be a great many of those from this generation," she observes, not necessarily that interested in the recognition. "I just hope we don't forget what we already have in exchange."

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 2:29 am 

The redhead remained silent for a few moments. "There is much at stake, much that could be forgotten." A pause. "Much that should not be forgotten."

Page 1 of 2 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next