Login FAQ  
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:34 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Page 1 of 2 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: Moonlit Doodles (D -2, N - open)
PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:25 am 

The beach would have been packed during the day. It made sense; the tide was out, it was light out, and it was warm. Certainly warmer than it was now. However, Suihime preferred it at night. Sure, the tide was in and most of the beach was waterlogged, and inaccessible, but she never actually went onto the beach. That would be stupid. She always kept her distance, finding a place she could sit. Her lantern was lit, and placed down carefully to ensure it wouldn't be knocked over. Her attire was more built for warmth than luxury, although the kimono was very much of better quality than normal still. The mon of the Imperials could just be made out if one got close enough with light.

Feeling the spray of water that lingered in the air as another wave crashed into the nearby cliffs, she sighed; it was a beautiful sight. Why did it have to be so cold! She pulled her kimono tighter around her, before placing her board on her lap and a scroll. Idly doodling thoughts in her mind. She wasn't a great artist but her time spent with a talented Doji painter had given her a taste of it. Basic doodling of the waves as they crashed.

Imperial * Captain of the Ashitae Maru * Courtier *Imperial Explorer * Herald * Jama's Retainer * Bookworm * Jinn-Touched * Prolific Pundit on Gaijin Affairs * Gaijin-curious * Princess of the Imperial Navy * Profile
Status: 4.0 | Glory 7.8 | Honour/Faith Exceptional | Reputation 1.3

Languages: Rokugani, Mekhem, Yobanjin, Merenaese, ???

Post subject: Re: Moonlit Doodles (D -2, N - open)
PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:03 pm 

The Jade magistrate was out patrolling. Night time was the perfect time for it, that's when the monsters came out after all. At least, that's what people generally believed, and they weren't always wrong about it. She preferred not to keep a lit lantern on her, though she wasn't trying to sneak around, she also did not wish to draw any attention to herself should she stumble upon anyone or anything that the Jade office should be concerned with.

It did however, unfortunately, make it somewhat difficult to see clearly enough to recognize people and mons and occasionally a rock sticking out of the ground precisely when your toe least expected it. It was only thanks to her quick thinking that Hikari avoided the pain that comes from stubbing it, as she twirled around the dark object at the last second. It happened rather close to the doodling girl, who would surely have heard the sound involved.

"Ah," Hikari began, as the dark shadow of a figure might stir, "Sorry, didn't mean to disturb you, whoever you are. Don't mind me."

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:11 pm 

The figure in the dark did indeed stir; she rose to her feet quickly grabbing her lantern and holding it up to see what the noise was. With the lantern light, it would be easy to see the womans face - and, most likely, the Imperial green kimono. "Are you ok? These rocks are rather sharp and slippery with the ocean waves. It's not an ideal wandering spot" Suihime said in a cautious tone, giving the woman a bow.

Imperial * Captain of the Ashitae Maru * Courtier *Imperial Explorer * Herald * Jama's Retainer * Bookworm * Jinn-Touched * Prolific Pundit on Gaijin Affairs * Gaijin-curious * Princess of the Imperial Navy * Profile

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:12 pm 

Ran decided she would do some stargazing, and attempt to forecast what might be expected from the weather tomorrow. That forcast however remained obfuscated to her as she looked toward the sky, judging the movement of clouds and calculating wind speeds and the like. What tomorrow would bring, she could not say for certain.

As it was, however, when she looked back towards what earth had to offer, she spotted the two .. Imperials coming together.

Ran instinctively stood up straighter, and brushed wisps of black-and-grey hair from her features.

She approached, and upon reaching the women she bowed lowly, as was proper.

"Good evening, please forgive my presence."

D2 N: Lore:Nature (Air)/Intell TN 25: 6d10o10k3 18

Outfit: Extravagant Clothing, Wakizashi, Pistol, Calligraphy Set, Traveling Pack

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:23 pm 

"Oh," amusement in her voice when the light revealed things more clearly "Miya-san eh? Fancy meeting another princess here."

The two may have run into each other before, or perhaps it was just that Suihime was rather famous.

Then along comes another person, and Hikari found herself with the need to make some proper introductions for herself.

"No forgiveness necessary, samurai-san," she gave a small bow to the two women, "Seppun Hikari, resident Jade magistrate."

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:56 pm 

"Ah, Seppun-sama. Forgive me if I have accidentally stumbled across an area of interest" Suihime offered another more respectful bow, remembering the woman even if they only knew each other in passing "if I had known, I would have informed you of the safest route around. I spent a short while creating a path of least jagged rocks. I'm certain it would be of use."

Then the...Ronin? Approached. Suihime couldn't see any mons at least. The Ronin received a polite bow.

"It is an open area, nothing to forgive. Please do be careful though, the ocean is at her most unforgiving right now. I am Miya Suihime, personal retainer if Hantei Jama and Imperial Explorer."

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:35 pm 

"Ah," she bowed deeply, knowing her station. When she rose, she spoke, her abundant freckles marring visible skin in the moonlight. "This one is called Ran. How the fortunes bless me to bring me to your Imperial presence, Miya-sama, Seppun-sama.
I do know how to conduct myself on the shoreline, I was hoping to have some insight into what the weather forecast for tomorrow might entail, but my guess would be just a guess this evening."

Outfit: Extravagant Clothing, Wakizashi, Pistol, Calligraphy Set, Traveling Pack

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:00 pm 

Suihime's words caused Hikari's amusement to remain in place.

"It is quite the late hour for such things, is it not? I had not expected to run into many people out and about."

Except perhaps the usual sort

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:00 pm 

"I've done the same for quite some time Seppun-sama; it's my favourite view in the city, and I've taken to it. It's peaceful, and I can practice my sadly terrible drawing skills without others having to endure it" she chuckled, looking to the Ronin and adding "no signs to the weather for the future, Ran-san? Or is it too overcast?"

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:17 am 

"I am sure your drawing skills surpass my own, Miya-sama. I draw a cat by two circles, two triangles, and four sticks." She said with a self depreciating smile and tilt of her head.
"As for the weather, it remains a mystery. It's just as well, sometimes surprises are their own reward."

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:23 am 

"Hmmm? Well, I suppose there's no harm in it," she said to Suihime's explanation.

As the conversation turned to the weather, Hikari's hand moved to one of the containers; carved into statuettes of the fortunes; that dangled from her waist. It lingered there for a moment, before she withdrew it again.

"Still, to attempt it, are you trained in such things then?"

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:16 am 

There was a small chuckle at Rans comment. "I have spent time with a quite talented Doji painter. While I think painting is not something for me, I have grown quite fond of doodling. Drawing water may not sound exciting, but the waves can create a quite beautiful sight. It certainly is an improvement over drawing maps."

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 3:02 pm 

to the Seppun, Ran nodded deeply. "I have a fascination with weather and it's patterns and effects. So I learned to read patterns and make forecasts. But it is at the whim of the fortunes."

to the Miya, a smile as well. "I can understand the soothing nature of mild creativity. I'm sorry for intruding here this evening and disrupting your ..doodles."

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 3:37 pm 

Hikari looked out across the sea as she spoke. "Perhaps you are drawn to the doodling of the waves for the same reason many enjoy the finer motions of calligraphy, such fluid shapes bring harmony to the mind."

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:50 pm 

"That sounds quite likely" Suihime nodded, turning to the ocean "I've seen the sea both from the shore, and from a ship. It can be both very beautiful, and very deadly. I've grown...fond of it in the last year."

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:58 pm 

"Quite deadly indeed," she said, sounding almost conspiratorial for a moment. "But," her tone shifted again, "danger dwells in many places, and should not always keep us from seeking out beauty. Provided we take the necessary care, of course."

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:30 pm 

"It does us no good to go blindly into what we do not understand. Although it is the uncharted we seek, one must keep their head about them," Ran agreed, nodding much, and looking to the two Imperial women.
"I'm sure that under the knowledgeable leadership of those who guide us, there is nothing to fear."

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:36 pm 

There was a nod at that, as Suihime turned back to the two girls. "How much experience do the two of you have at sea?"

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:04 pm 

"Not much, I'm afraid," she said, watching Suihime with a bit of interest, "I have headed out near the shoals on the horizon, but not beyond."

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:46 pm 

"As for myself, I'm here, in hopes of more. I am capable of assisting in building ships, and wayfinding, and weather tracking. All these things have bought me passage on ships before, but never exactly out to sea. More travelling from one point on Rokugan's shore to another. The ships I have found myself on in the past were not explorers. But when I memorized Rokugan's shoreline, my attention went out to the open waters."

Page 1 of 2 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next