Login FAQ  
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:54 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Page 1 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: The Princess Among Her People (D-1, A, Docks)
PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:12 pm 

Bellena decided to take up Edogawa's invite to speak with the Merenaese who had been forced to work for the Imperials over the past year. She was conflicted about going down to the docks for many reasons. She wasn't sure how many of these men would believe the lines fed to them by the Imperials... She could see how it would be easy to change their loyalties when a man like Zazu had been left in charge and he left them to fend for themselves.

She was also worried about being recognized by her own people to some degree. She got strange looks from all the Rokugani members of this city, but she knew she might get similar looks from Merenaese who had long been separated from their homes far away... such was the nature of her noble lineage and genetics. Her hair and eye color would immediately identify her as being somehow related to the Quijano of the Basin of Rubies. Of the many things in this world she had never fully grown used to being considered above others; something she had largely avoided as a child in Medinaat al-Salaam living in the Tortoise enclosure. Every time she was among her own people though, it was something that she could not avoid.

Bellena arrived at the docks dressed in her seafaring clothing and began to walk around and inspect the work of her people. As she expected there were eyes that departed their labors to wonder at the sight they were seeing. More than a couple of workers bowed respectfully as she passed them. As she approached an elevated platform with men working on a large vessel, and older man's eyes widened as he stood up from his siesta and approached Bellena with a bow.

"Milady... I am from Villar de Olalla. Does the cuenca still shine?" His eyes glistened with a longing for home as he looked up to hear her response.

"As long as the people and the Quijano work to polish them los Rubielos will always shine my friend." She replied with a closed lipped smile and a gracious nod.

"And Lord Hortensio the Kind? Does he still lead the people? He saw me off when I was a young man who responded to a call for sailors... The old man's smile brightened at her reply and his voice trembled with excitement as he inquired of her father.

Bellena's eyes blinked in quick and gentle succession as her smile tightened slightly on her lips and she shook her head, "I'm afraid the Lady of Compassion has called him home recently. His son Alfonso carries on in his stead. Though his people, and his daughter still mourn his loss, Alfonso continues to make our land shine." The sides of her bright green eyes began to glisten with wetness slightly even as her smile grew in brightness.

The old man's face took on a solemn but understanding gait. "Thank you milady. I haven't heard of home in so long...
You've made this old man's day. May the Lady bless you.
" The old man bowed again and moved aside as Bellena nodded gratefully.

She looked up to the platform next to him and examined it for a moment. Something appeared to be wrong... the platform appeared to be sinking slightly towards the harbor. She walked up to the pillars and began examining them up close. Shortly the foreman came and inquired what she was doing. She remained quiet for several moments, continuing to look at the pillars and tap on them one-by-one. Eventually she turned to him and described that the structure was flawed and if nothing was done it was likely this platform and the boat on it would crash into the bottom of the harbor within a couple of days. She pulled out a paper and some charcoal and began drawing up the design of the platform, which on a purely engineering standpoint was constructed well, but it hadn't taken into account the surrounding environment. She illustrated how the wood would continue to warp given the current thermal conditions until the pillars snapped and destroyed the whole area. She then also drew up how they could be reinforced until the completion of the boat could be finished and the platform redesigned.

The foreman looked down at her plans with amazement. "Who are you?" He asked.

She shook her head, "I'm an adviser for the Tortoise. Bellena de Quijano. This type of thing is my job where I'm assigned... along with other things." She stood up and dusted off her knees. "I know you may not have any reason to believe me... but I am not in the mood to come back in a few days to tell you 'I told you so'. So if at all possible I would ask you to rectify this problem. The Rokugani Imperials aren't the type to forgive easily."

The foreman nodded and turned to the small group of workers that had gathered, "Well boys... Vaminos! Let's get to it!"

Speaks: Merenaese, Mekhem, Yodotai, Rokugani, Thranish, Ujik-hai

DescriptionTheme

Post subject: Re: The Princess Among Her People (D-1, A, Docks)
PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 7:53 am 

Ringo stops by docks to check out the ships. He especially makes note to see how the Shark Fin and the Stingray are doing since he had some involvement with both of them. He does some maintenance work and then wanders idly around. He notes the Tortoise (?) woman talking with the gaijin and offers her a polite bow.

/ Engineering. 1 CR = 38

Last edited by Hida Ringo on Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:24 am, edited 2 times in total.

Rokugani, Merenae, Mekhem
Carries: Daisho, Finger of Jade, Heavy Armour, Ink Brush Kit, Ono, Pistol

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 7:55 am 

The woman offered a nod back in greeting.

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 4:48 pm 

"Konnichiwa samurai-sama. Have you had your rice today? You certainly seem busy this afternoon." He glances over to the ship and crew for a moment before looking back.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 5:57 pm 

"I'm not one to be idle for long." She said with a bow of greeting. "I am Muhaki Berena, a pleasure to make your acquaintance."

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 7:48 pm 

Ringo nods at the introduction. "I am Hida Ringo. Engineering student at the Imperial Naval College. The pleasure is mine." He gives his own and assesses her for a moment.

"I don't think I have seen you around before. Are you new to the city or part of the Naval College?" He asks.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:00 pm 

"I'm new. Arrived on clan business a couple of days ago, and soon to depart back out to sea. I take it you are a member of the Explorers?"

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 2:54 am 

Ringo nods. "That is correct. I arrived in the city about a year ago, just before the formation of the Imperial Explorers." He explains.

"So I assume that you are well travelled Muhaki-sama. May I inquire as to what interesting and exciting locations that your travels have taken you?" He asks with some interest since it may affect him in the future.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 3:04 am 

She smiled a bit out of the corner of her mouth, "If you have heard of it, I have probably been there. Is there any place in specific which interests you Hida-san?"

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 4:08 am 

Ringo thinks for a moment. "Well I have studied a bit of the Mekhem and Merenaese languages. So perhaps you may share with me what the lands, cultures, and people are like there? I imagine that I may end up coming across them with this new position."

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 4:51 am 

She chuckled, "My my... isn't that a difficult question. How would you answer a question like that about Rokugani? The scale is a bit too large Hida-san. What is it you think you know about those people that you'd like some confirmation on?"

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:15 am 

Ringo thinks for a moment. "I do not presume to know anything. Let's focus on Merenae then. What is the lands like there?" He specifies.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:03 pm 

She smiled slightly, "There's a great deal of variance, but much of it is fairly arid. Not a desert as such, but it requires a great deal more work to irrigate and maintain sustainable crops there. The ports are loud and filled with the many sounds of life... Large open and arid plains riddled with large plateaus and sweeping basins dominate most of the non-coastal landscape..."

She tilted her head, "What brings about your interest in Merenae?"

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 9:43 pm 

"The mandate of the Imperial Explorers. We are to explore. So we may end up running into the Merenae in the future. No, correction, we will more than likely run into them and other gaijin cultures in the future." Ringo nods a little at that.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:02 am 

"I would not try to 'Explore' too close to Merenae with this large of a fleet if I were you... that is a recipe for misunderstanding." She said with a chuckle. "And if it is interaction that you desire, you need to look no further than this dock." She gestured to the men at work. "The bulk of these workers are all from Merenae, I'm sure they could help describe much for you."

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:02 am 

Ringo nods as he looks at the Merenae. "That is some good advice. I hope the higher ups keep it in mind."

Changing the subject a little. "If I may ask, are you part of this ship? I have not seen a Tortoise working with this many gaijin before."

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:14 pm 

She shook her head, "I was invited by Miya Edogawa to come and speak with the workers, seeing that I am familiar with their language."

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:25 pm 

Ringo nods. "Ah, that makes sense. Will you be coming with us in the expedition then Muhaki-sama?"

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:55 pm 

She shook her head, "No, I must return to my superiors out at sea as soon as my ship is prepared to leave."

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:23 pm 

Ringo nods. "That is a shame. It would have been an asset to have someone of your experience with us Muhaki-sama. Still I wish you safe travel as well. Will you be staying in town for much longer?"

Page 1 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next