Login FAQ  
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:24 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: [D-2 afternoon, beach] Overly Optimistic Whale Watching
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:17 am 

Drills were still going on, but it was still easy enough to find a bit of space to oneself. As long as one didn't mind the occasional sound of musket fire.

Kenzo didn't mind it. Besides, the wind kept it and the smoke relatively clear. He looked out over the water, eyes narrowed. The trailing ends of his kimono swept around, buffeted by the wind, matched by his dark hair.

Attended House of Dawning Light
Sturdy clothing, daisho, traveling pack, ink brush kit, fan. Pistols when not ridiculously inappropriate.

Post subject: Re: [D-2 afternoon, beach] Overly Optimistic Whale Watching
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 10:36 am 

Near the practices, the ronin sits on the sand and watches. It's been a while now that he feels helpless, without any martial training since he was a courtier, but now that he's a ronin he needs some way of defense, and it seems like that would be a good one in the New Age. Besides, it doesn't look too difficult.

He then sees a samurai standing on the side, looking to the sea.

Wata stands from the sand and clears his kimono of the sand of the beach and walks to the beach watcher. "Glorious day upon you, Dragon-sama. It is the first time I think we meet." The ronin holds the proper inclination in honor to the family of the samurai.

Carries: Daisho, Pistol, Light Armor, Personal Seal, Pillow Book, Fan, Coin Case, Jade, Parchments and Coal
Languages: Broken Merenaese and Rokugan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:40 am 

A little further out than would be easy to swim the two samurai catch a bit of motion near where the waves are rolling in. And then the latest wave carries something in with it. The creature seems to have a difficult time, squirming and making panicked squeaking noises.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:58 pm 

The wind and musket fire allowed the Ronin to approach quite close before Kenzo noticed him. "Ronin-san." He replied, giving a quick bow in the other samurai's direction, his gaze going back out to the sea. After a moment, he turned back to Wata, inclining his head. "Indeed, I don't believe we've met. Mirumoto Kenzo. It's a pleasure."

Pleasantries done, he turned back to the sea once more. "So what brings you out here? I've heard there's supposed to- oh my." His casual tone suddenly turned sharp as a wave brought in a distressed creature.

"Excuse me." Kenzo muttered absently. He didn't hesitate, casting off his outer kimono, letting it fall onto the sand, along with daisho, brush kit, and a pair of pistols. The wiry muscles of his build were much more obvious, leanly athletic. Just as he didn't hesitate to cast off his things, so he strode into the water, approaching the creature without a second thought.

Sturdy clothing, daisho, traveling pack, ink brush kit, fan. Pistols when not ridiculously inappropriate.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:17 pm 

Musket fire! Lead balls! Death in small snug little machines! Of course Kuuru couldn't resist the temptation. The noises attracted him like a magnet. He stopped next to the sea, seeing someone making their way onto the beach to... Some sort of a large fish. Curiosity struck like a bullet again. He awaited for the man to be finished, studying all the details of the fish he could manage from this distance.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:51 pm 

When Keno gets to the beached animal it thrashes around a bit at his presence, probably confused and scared.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:03 pm 

For a few moments, Kenzo hesitated. He did, after all, want to study animals, and in some ways this was a perfect opportunity. But ultimately, he wanted to study them in their natural habitat, not trapped and suffering. The cries of distress certainly made a difference, too. So like us.

Kenzo moved around to the side of the dolphin, trying to avoid its teeth, and to find a good way to get a grip on it without hurting it. "Hey!" He called back to the two samurai nearby on shore. "I could use a hand, here!"

(GMs: let me know if any rolls are required)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:56 pm 

It isn't difficult to avoid the dolphin's futile attempts to defend itself. He could definitely use a hand though, as the creature was quite heavy. And it's moving around did not help a great deal either.

(no rolls)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:05 pm 

Help? Well Kuuru wasn't the most powerful Crab but he could certainly push a single fish into water. Plus it would get him closer to study the creature. He hopped down and rushed to help the samurai already pushing the fish. While they helped it he memorised every detail of the creature that he could.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:25 pm 

Kenzo grinned across the dolphin at Kuuru. "Mirumoto Kenzo. It's a pleasure. We'll talk later."

He turned his attention to the dolphin, firming up his grip. "Okay, on three, let's really give it our all. One, two..." When three would come, Kenzo heaved to the limits of his strength, trying to push the dolphin back into deep enough water that it could swim.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:26 pm 

It took a significant effort, but as a wave rolled in and with both men helping, they are able to move the dolphin into deeper water. As it turned, it splashed wildly to face towards the wider ocean, but remained near the shore at the surface of the water.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:52 pm 

"Urgh!" With an effort, Kenzo managed to maintain his footing, pushing against the rocky sand of the beach floor. He smiled as the dolphin appeared to be freed, splashing out a bit.

He frowned, though, as it didn't move out to sea, instead staying near where it had been beached. "What are you doing?" Kenzo said, confused, more to himself than to the dolphin, or to the nearby Crab. He scanned the nearby ocean, looking for signs of some danger. He shivered, unclad and drenched as he was.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:13 pm 

Kuuru helped to push the (surprisingly slippery) fish back into the sea. Who knew fish could weigh that much?! Perhaps this was something to be studied... After recovering from the exertion, Kuuru looked at where the fish was now swimming.
"Hmm... Perhaps it was here to hunt but the tide washed it too far, and now it is resuming it's task?" He speculated.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:27 pm 

"Perhaps." Kenzo said, frowning. "Normally they're more careful than that. I'd say more likely it was forced out of its territory, perhaps by another dolphin, or a shark." He frowned a little at the thought.

"We could observe its behavior a little longer; that may offer a clue. That would be the scientific thing to do." He said, giving the other man a quick glance.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:44 pm 

Kuuru's expression lit up.
"Wonderful idea Mirumoto-sama! I would sketch this strange creature as well, who knows what inspiration it's form might spawn later." He paused for a moment before turning back to Kenzo again. "I do not believe I introduced myself yet, I am Kaiu Kuuru, Engineer and man of science." He took some parchment and a piece of charcoal and made a quick sketch of the creature. It turned out quite nicely. He put the parchment and charcoal away as soon as he was done and returned to keeping a stone hard eye on the fish.

---
D-2 Sketching a fish: 6d10o10k3 24

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:16 am 

"Sketch...?" Kenzo's eyes widened as the slightly unusual man took out charcoal and parchment, and sketched the creature. His eyes widened further at the high quality of the sketch.

"Why, my good man!" Kenzo said, smiling. "I do much the same sort of thing! Except that I use paint. Do you have any others? I'd gladly show you my collection once we're done here."

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:37 pm 

The dolphin, for it's part, seemed to be hanging around still, disappearing beneath the surface for a bit and surfacing for a moment every now and then.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:35 pm 

Kuuru smiled excitedly. "Others? Why I have scores of such drawings on all manner of things! And yes, I would like to see your collection. Sharing of knowledge is one of the most important things pertaining to progress after all."

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:32 pm 

"Wonderful!" Kenzo said, still excited. With a last glance at the dolphin, he moved fully ashore. His hands brushed down his torso, trying to strip all the salty water from his body, before he slipped into his kimono once more. A bath would certainly be required later.

"I'm glad that you think so." He said to the Crab, smiling. "Perhaps you'd care to tell me about some of your more interesting finds? I have some of my paintings, here." He patted a rectangular case, once more at his side, "-but the ocean breeze can be hard on my paints."

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2017 4:53 pm 

Kuuru nodded "Yes! I would love to share my theories with you, and see some of your works. But I think we should arrange a better time for it. The seashore, although a beautiful view, does not make for the best conversational backdrop."

Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next