Login FAQ  
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:24 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Page 2 of 3 [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post subject: Re: [D-2 morning, beach] One For Each of You
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:54 pm 

"Fascinating." Kenzo said, narrowing his eyes thoughtfully. "The amount of water that must be required to provide for such a city must be astounding. Or the amount of support from outside..."

A few moments pass as he considers. "Is the nearby land farmland, then? Herding land? What sort of ecosystem is supported there?"

Attended House of Dawning Light
Sturdy clothing, daisho, traveling pack, ink brush kit, fan. Pistols when not ridiculously inappropriate.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:02 pm 

"It's rather arid. There is one major river, and most life lives in close proximity to it. It is situated close enough to have some trade provide additional needs, but largely the diet of people is of things that can be grown with relatively low amounts of water." She replied.

"As for wildlife... it's rather varied really. Crocodiles, jackals, desert serpents, small rodents of many kinds, camels, horses... a variety of things."

Speaks: Merenaese, Mekhem, Yodotai, Rokugani, Thranish, Ujik-hai

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:47 pm 

"Ah! Adaptability. Of course." Kenzo said, smiling, his level of enthusiasm clearly building. "A feature we share with many plants and animals. Maximizing the efficiency of the available water is certainly a sign of that."

He looked even more interested at the mention of various animals. "I've seen many of those, but not in their natural habitats, of course. And as enjoyable as it is to see a creature in a zoo, it's not the same." He sighed. "I hope we get the opportunity to see many things in our voyage."

Sturdy clothing, daisho, traveling pack, ink brush kit, fan. Pistols when not ridiculously inappropriate.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:08 pm 

"There are not many sea passages that get to the Burning Sands... it's in a bit of an unfortunate spot for Rokugani. But there are plenty of new things you're sure to find on your voyages." She said reassuringly.

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:31 pm 

"I certainly hope so." Kenzo said with some enthusiasm.

He scarcely seemed aware that he was moving the conversation from a city to animals. "You've traveled at sea quite a bit. Do the creatures of the ocean differ as well, as one travels? I imagine they must; there is some variation even along the coast of Rokugan, as temperatures change."

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:38 pm 

She tilted her head, "It's not an area of expertise for me... but there do appear to be types of animals that migrate great distances during the seasons... most likely because of changes in temperature. The ocean is one large mass where the animals within can move about with relative ease."

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:53 pm 

He looked at her. "A fascinating way to look at it, Muhaki-san." He said approvingly. "You do have quite the scientific mind. It's easy for us to forget, being limited to the top sliver of it alone, except for a very few monks and shugenja."

He shrugged. "Perhaps another difference in nurture, so to speak. Growing up on the ocean, you're no doubt as comfortable with it as I am with mountains."

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:00 pm 

She chuckled, "Perhaps, I think it may because I have a range of life experiences to draw from. Small childhood in a relatively rural setting, stranded in a desert oasis for much of my adolescence, lived at sea for several years after school, study the vastness of space, and a variety of languages... Many different types of environments and systems of communicating those realities; each of which differ so greatly that they provide entirely different opportunities for the range of relative freedom one can achieve in each setting but also... each has their own finite systems of limitation that shape how and in what ways a being can act."

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:20 pm 

Even as he focused on her words, Kenzo looked out at the ocean, looked up at the sky. There were no stars visible, of course, but the idea of the stars was always there, at least.

He looked back to her. "It's a fascinating time we live in, isn't it? Where all those things can be studied. Everything from heaven, to earth, to the ocean, and all the kingdoms of animal and man."

He chuckled. "Goodness, I sound ridiculous. Sorry. But you understand what I mean, right? There's just so much to know." He sighed, shaking his head. "Sometimes, I hope that I live long enough to learn everything. And sometimes, I'm almost comforted by knowing that I never will."

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:28 pm 

She nodded and looked out to the sea for a moment before turning back to him, "One must always reach for that which is unreachable... as long as it is good. To dream of that which seems impossible now and seek to right the wrongs that seem unrightable... to extend the limits of our world beyond what they are and make more people able to see the ways in which they can improve. Even if one is mocked or dejected, even if they end their life battered and bruised for the cause of good... in some way, through the efforts of that one person, the world is better than it was before. That is the quest of the knowledge seeker. Not only knowledge for knowledge's sake... but to expand the world of possibilities and solve the problems that beset us."

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:11 am 

Kenzo listened solemnly, his expression serious. Finally, his lips quirked. "You make it sound so noble."

He sighed, shaking his head. "I suppose... you're not wrong. When I seek out new life, or boldly go where no one has gone before, I'll admit to wanting to be the first one there. But not for the glory. For the excitement, and the idea that my contribution will make a difference to the greater whole. A positive one."

He sighed again, a smile returning to his lips. "It's a hopeful way of looking at things, but Rokugan is built on hope. I think it works."

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:28 am 

"Hope is a great motivator... for good and ill. That is why knowledge acquisition must always be tempered with sound moral reasoning. Some restrictions need to be in place. Knowledge is not a neutral force in this world... it is a power and affects the lives of all. To become so enmeshed in the pursuit of knowledge and the excitement therein that we neglect to look at the implications of our actions, is no different than a tyrant who becomes accustomed to his power and uses it to murder and destroy everything he can touch." She said resolutely.

She kneeled down and drew a character in the sand, "Your voyage out into the world is no different... You are not a passive observer. Whatever variant of the word you use, the middle character contains the radical for a 'two-sided sword' in your language. Always remember that."

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:40 pm 

"Hmmm." Kenzo said, his expression thoughtful. He is silent for a few moments.

Finally he spoke. "I suppose, moving ahead so quickly as we are, it can be easy to forget why. But it is a question that needs to be asked."

A few more moments, and he smiled. "Well, if I will be leaving my mark on the world, I do want it to be a good one. I intend to be a positive force on the community, and the people around me."

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:42 pm 

"What does 'good' look like to you Mirumoto-san?" Bellena asked with interest.

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:54 pm 

"Hmmm." Kenzo's lips quirked. "A very good question, Muhaki-san. I hope I can answer it."

He stood for a few moments, one hand rubbing his chin. "I believe it comes back to hope. I think that by gaining greater understanding, we can both improve our lives, and improve our connection with the natural world. The latter being key to the former. Gaining wisdom allows us to make a choice, and if we've gained enough, the 'good' choice should be clear. Choices made without full understanding can lead to..." His lips twisted. "I want to say 'disharmony'. Hopefully that's not to traditional of me."

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:01 pm 

She smiled genuinely and shook her head, "No... Well... even if it is 'traditional' that doesn't necessarily mean it's bad."

She turned to look at him with a shine still in her eyes, "I hope there many of the Explorers like you Mirumoto-san. Not too stuffy, yet not too unrestricted. Not too ambitious, but not without a dream."

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:26 pm 

Kenzo smiled at that, bowing. "And I rather hope that my fellow explorers are like you, Muhaki-san. Educated, traveled, with a mind that is both scientific, and adept at choosing right from wrong."

He straightened, giving her a crooked smile. "Are you sure you can't come along? The voyage is still a few days away. Long enough to get dispensation, perhaps."

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:22 am 

"I'm here on clan business and need to return to my superiors as soon as possible." She said with a gentle shake of her head.

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:10 am 

"Ah, well." Kenzo shook his head with a smile. "Duty. I understand that, I suppose." He sighed. "If only the voyage was shorter."

"I hope we'll have time for a longer meeting, then." He said, forehead creasing. "I feel as though there are many topics I would like to hear your thoughts on. If you aren't going on the voyage, I'll have to do that some other way, I suppose."

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:49 pm 

"Time is limited but I can be reached at the Tortoise residence in the Northern Outskirts if you would like to meet again. Just let me know." She said with a smile.

DescriptionTheme

Page 2 of 3 [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next