Login FAQ  
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:39 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Page 1 of 3 [ 53 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post subject: [D-2 morning, beach] One For Each of You
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:13 pm 

The Mirumoto family traditionally trained with two weapons, katana and wakizashi. However, Kenzo was a modern man, a man of science, progress! As such, it was perhaps worthwhile to try to develop new techniques, using new weapons.

And so, Kenzo squared off with a target. Smoothly, he drew two finely made pistols, altering his stance as he did his best to aim with both of them at one. Two loud cracks sounded, one after the other, as the pistols discharged, the scent of gunpowder quickly filling the air, and being swept away just as quickly. Kenzo frowned at the results as he knelt to begin reloading.

Attended House of Dawning Light
Sturdy clothing, daisho, traveling pack, ink brush kit, fan. Pistols when not ridiculously inappropriate.

Post subject: Re: [D-2 morning, beach] One For Each of You
PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:49 pm 

Bellena approached the beach early that morning in an attempt to avoid much of the hussle and bussle of the city; a time that would be least comfortable for her. She found her way down to the saddened remains of the 'Ultimate Hope' which served as a cruel joke to her sensibilities now. Turning down towards the ocean she looked out onto the wreckage of the Tortoise ship sunk in the harbor and with a slight snort of exasperation shook her head as she saw the waves wash over and under its capsized remains.

The unmistakable sound of a pair of pistols drew her attention as she looked up the beach a short stretch to see a lone man practicing at some targets in the sand. Bellena walked up from behind the man as he reloaded his shots. She put her hands behind her back as she observed him prepare to take his next shot.

Speaks: Merenaese, Mekhem, Yodotai, Rokugani, Thranish, Ujik-hai

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:55 pm 

Needless to say, there was no chance of Kenzo hearing the approaching woman. And, focused as he was, he didn't manage to spot her, either.

He reloaded efficiently, or at least as efficiently as could be done with two pistols. Still, his hands seemed to work in unison.

He stood, aiming again. This time, he fired one shot at a time, shifting his stance between shots, adjusting his balance and aim. "Huh." He said, gazing downrange at the target. "That's better."

Sturdy clothing, daisho, traveling pack, ink brush kit, fan. Pistols when not ridiculously inappropriate.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:58 pm 

Bellena squinted her eyes a bit before stepping forward to be parallel with him a few feet to his side. "A fine pair of shots Dragon-san."

She leaned slightly forward to get a good glimpse of the final destination of the bullets. "Have you been practicing long?"

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:25 pm 

Kenzo didn't seem especially surprised as he turned. Well, not until he spotted the woman's obviously foreign features. His eyes widened briefly. "Mmm, yes and no." He said with a bit of a smirk. "Practicing with pistols, a while. Practicing with two weapons, even longer. The combination is an experiment."

The target thoroughly marked with holes, but weathering makes the last four easy to distinguish. Two are bit farther out, but two are fairly close too the center.

"Mirumoto Kenzo. It's pleasure to meet you." He bowed, eyes remaining on her as he did, full of curiosity.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:31 pm 

She smiled and looked at him before flicking her wrist suddenly and raising her arm. The simple movement had apparently produced a pistol from her sleeve of her kimono which was suddenly in her hand and immediately discharged. The bullet flew fast and straight at the far target hitting it as close to the center as one could imagine possible from that distance. She flipped the pistol gracefully back into its place in her sleeve and nodded once. "Muhaki Berena. It's a pleasure to meet you Mirumoto-san." She then bowed in return at an equal level to his own.

"A student of the colleges I assume?"

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:36 pm 

"Interesting." Kenzo grinned, squinting downrange at the display. "Looks as though you've been practicing for a while, as well."

"I am, in fact." Kenzo said, his eyebrows going up. "The House of Dawning Light. I hope you don't mind me stating the blindly obvious, Muhaki-san, but you don't look like you're from around here. And yet, you seem to know a great deal about here." He gave her a crooked smile. "If you could help even the score, I'd certainly appreciate it."

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:43 pm 

"There are loyal vassals of the Empire who have long lived on and explored the sea. I am one of them. And they have interest in what is taking place here." She said as a response to his questions as she looked down the beach at a group of young musketeers beginning their morning exercises in the sand.

"What did you study in your school Mirumoto-san?" She asked as she turned her head slightly to look at him.

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:57 pm 

Kenzo's eyebrows went up again. "On the sea? My, that sounds fascinating." He chuckled. "I grew up climbing mountains. That may be as separate as it's possible to be."

His expression sharpened, just a little. "Still, it explains your interest. I think. I'd be happy to hear more about them, if you felt inclined to tell me."

"A little of this, a little of that." Kenzo said, smiling back at the curious woman. "I received some military training. Like that. Perhaps not so stuffily done." He waved at the drilling soldiers. Clearing his throat he continued. "But mostly, I studied natural philosophy. The science of the plant and animal kingdoms, mostly."

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:10 pm 

She smirked slightly, "I am not unique in that regard. Many Tortoise spend a great deal of time on the sea. But it does seem like the Tortoise have less of a presence in this town as of late... so it may not be particularly easy to hear from a decent source. If the occasion ever permitted I wouldn't be averse to helping in what ways I can."

She then nodded, "So a man of multiple talents. This is a good thing... there is only so much that military training will do for you out there on the sea. I'm a researcher myself; though my area of expertise is a bit different from your own. Are you looking to join the Explorers on their journey and make use of your skills?"

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:25 am 

"Ah, the Tortoise." Kenzo looked moderately enlightened. But only moderately.

Her next comments made him give a smirk of his own. "I certainly like to think so. But my sea experience is a bit limited. Ocean flora and fauna are different enough that they're an entirely different area of study, and one I'm not quite so adept at." He shrugged. "At least I can swim, I suppose."

He nodded. "I am, in fact. It became my dream, as soon as I heard of the opportunity." He looked at her, curious. "I take it you'll be going along, then? As a researcher?"

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:26 am 

She shook her head, "Actually, no. I am here on clan business and will be heading back out to sea in a couple of days."

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:59 am 

"Oh? That's too bad." Kenzo said. "I'll admit, I wouldn't mind if a few of my fellow researchers are more experienced sailors than me."

He smiled. "In that case, you really should tell me about your research now. If you're leaving in a few days, I might not get another chance to hear it, and I really would like to."

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:07 pm 

She smiled, "My research has a few facets. First of which is Linguistics. My duties for the Tortoise on a day to day basis are as a translator. I speak several languages and specialize in the comparing and contrasting of those systems."

She put one hand on her hip and continued, "The other main genres I study are focused more on the natural world. A major interest I have is in the world of Astronomy. I served as a navigator on ships for quite some time; using the stars to help navigate on some of the longer voyages across the world. I also study the nature of Mathematics and thermodynamic forces underneath the Earth's outer casing of rock. Essentially volcanoes and the like... as many of the islands on the sea are a result of volcanic activity under the surface of the water."

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:41 pm 

Kenzo maintained an expression of genuine interest through each topic she named, although his eyes widened a little at the mention of the natural world. "That's quite a wide area of study." He said. "There's a certain amount of overlap, although I've made only the barest study of linguistics or mathematics. But natural forces, though not as much my specialty, are certainly in my wheelhouse." He regarded her with heightened interest.

Briefly, his eyes followed her hand as it moved. "So, you probably attended one of the colleges as well?" He smirked. "Came ashore long enough for a formal education, and then back out to sea again?"

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:44 pm 

She chuckled slightly, "I am an old woman compared to some, it has given me some time to branch out."

Then shook her head in response to his question, "No, I was trained abroad. In a city called Medinaat al-Salaam. This is my first journey to the mainland as a matter of fact."

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:07 pm 

Kenzo smiled at her. "Really, Muhaki-san, I don't think anyone could call you that!" Although, he was having some difficulty judging her age. "Although, there are some going on this voyage who seem terribly young, scarcely adults." He clearly didn't consider himself in this category.

"Ohhhhh..." His eyes lit up. "Well, that sounds fascinating! Trained abroad, and now seeing the mainland for the first time. Well, well." He rubbed his chin thoughtfully. "I wish I could get you to tell me all about it, but I suspect that would take days. Besides, maybe you're tired of telling people about it." His lips curled upwards. "On the other hand, if you're not..."

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:17 pm 

"I'm never one to stifle a curious mind. What is it you would like to know?" She asked.

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:42 pm 

Kenzo gave a quick bow, smirking. "An excellent attitude to have, Muhaki-san. I feel the same way."

His expression grew thoughtful as he straightened. "Hmmm. What wouldn't I like to know? There's so much..." He chuckled. "I suppose I'd like to know more about this city you studied in, Medinaat al-Salaam." His tongue had a bit of trouble with the unfamiliar words. "My study of foreign cultures was limited, but that doesn't mean I lack interest. The basics, if you would."

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:52 pm 

"It is a city which lies within the Burning Sands, as your people call them. Built around a deposit of the most precious resource in the desert... water. It is called the Jewel of the Horizon, or the City of One Thousand stories. Its size rivals... if not exceeds that of Otosan Uchi. A large collection of the many different peoples that populate the continent gather there. It is a hub of trade, knowledge, and mysticism... But difficult to find or survive in without knowing the right people."

DescriptionTheme

Page 1 of 3 [ 53 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next