Login FAQ  
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:30 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: La Ultima Sleuth (D0, EM)
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:41 pm 

Bellena arrived at the docks around La Ultima Esperanza early in the morning. She had thought about what Zazu had said the day before, and no matter how she tried to work it out, it just didn't elucidate the facts of Genjiko's death in any way she felt comfortable having to explain to her superiors when she returned home... and Saionji one day. Hearing that Genjiko had been headed for The City of Remembrance, Bellena headed down to the harbor to see if she could find some people who may have known anything about the boat or the people who were a part of the voyage.

Speaks: Merenaese, Mekhem, Yodotai, Rokugani, Thranish, Ujik-hai

DescriptionTheme

Post subject: Re: La Ultima Sleuth (D0, EM)
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:57 pm 

Not unfamiliar with her from her previous intervention, a Merenaese stevedore called Roxas directed her to Tasca da Esquina, the focal point of what was left of Feitoria, little home for the Merenaese in the faraway land. Normally taverns would not be open this early, but Tasca worked as more than a place for drinking for the locals.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:01 pm 

Bellena thanked the man and found her way to the tavern. She walked inside and took a look around before approaching whomever appeared to be running the establishment.

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:08 pm 

It felt like the heavy vapour of wine and mostly wiped off post-vinous vomit was running the place. But there was a man in the corner she may have seen around Edogawa before. His uneven beard over a rectangular jaw barely covered pox marks of old and above he was not much prettier, though still rather hoodlumish. His defining feature, however, were his three shining pistols in holsters on his chest and a look of someone living a thug life joyously. He was fighting with a fly by trying to eat her whenever she was buzzing close.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:12 pm 

Bellena nodded a greeting to the man as her eyes passed over him. She waited at the bar to see if there was any visual invitation from the man before moving close to him.

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:17 pm 

He moved close to her, sitting by the bar within a minute and called for two port. The barmaid didn't charge him.

"You don't looks like you're looking for an adventure, Senorina, but an honest man can never know."

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:19 pm 

She smirked and nodded her head in thanks of the drink, "Would a dishonest man have better insight into the mind of a stranger?"

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:31 pm 

"A businessman would. We haven't seen a noble from back home here ever since de Almeria fled, so you'd have stood out even without your hair being on fire." The ugly man smirked, taking a long sip.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:35 pm 

She chuckled and nodded, "You are of course right... not here to jump on some megalomaniac's boat and head out into the 'great unknown'. Unknown to some I suppose..."

She nodded her thanks to the server as the drink arrived, "I'm here to figure out some matters that are 'unknown' to those out on the seas. "

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:42 pm 

"Tortugan have their secrets and we have ours down here too. It's normal... state of affairs as an elegant person would call it." He chuckled. "Sure about that, not hanging out with the Imperios? It's not that bad, it's what I do as a part-time job."

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:49 pm 

"Whatever you need to do to keep the coin flowing in and your heads off of the pikes." She said with a nod.

"From what I hear these boats you've been making for them will be heading out to sea soon. And many of you will be traveling as their advisors... would you happen to be one of them?" She asked.

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:12 pm 

"It's more about survival, hidalga. Not the strongest or the fastest but the quickest to adapt. A year ago we were in a really bad place down here." He sipped his port lazily. It was some super-port, fortified to the point of lightening the colour. "Now it's all right. I stick to Senor Alvaro, and if those ships want to knock the Fortaleza de La Corteza, I am fine with that. Two rounds of cannon fire would end their glorious voyage right there if they don't play nice. And if not, how many naus can the king call? Thirty? Fifty? If anything, I am happy to get out of here and check if I have a grown-up son from one of the whores I had fun with before coming here. At my age you think about legacy and all that."

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:28 pm 

She nodded, "I understand senor. The comment about heads on pikes was not meant in jest, you are doing what you need to survive and get what gains you can in the meanwhile. Merenae is not threatened by this little fleet. I don't fault you or our people for doing what they can given the difficult circumstances..."

She took a sip of her own drink, "I merely don't believe that those who now appropriate your labor were in someway not responsible for putting you there in the first place. One great indicator in figuring out the past is to look to see who emerged as a power in the present. The supposed cowardice of de Almeria leading to your desperation, the incompetence of the acting Tortoise champion, the rise of the Moshi and Mantis, and the death of Genjiko under mysterious circumstances... there are far too many 'coincidences' in this equation for me to accept them for what people are saying they are."

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:36 pm 

"Power games are not exactly unknown to the levels you were born at, eh?" Lopez laughed. "Games have winners and losers. And we had had a winning streak for too long for many tastes." He shrugged. "You believe that someone offed Genjiko? No belief is needed, there was no violent storm that day. But this is how it rolls, you do things and don't get caught. She was careless. She had been for a time."

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:40 pm 

Bellena nodded, "Would you have heard of who may have been involved in her death? This is a topic of some importance to a close friend of mine..."

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:44 pm 

"The Mantis would be an easy call. They have what it takes, and things were getting heated in the new Phoenix port. They would have done it long ago if they had not been afraid of the Imperios. She went out there like a minnow to face sharks, desperate to turn things around. But there is one simple truth she rejected, there is no place for the Tortoise here without the support of the Imperios. Here I mean Rokugan. Otherwise it's too tight between the trapdoor and the hold."

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:52 pm 

She nodded, "There is no better name for this 'nuisance' and his thugs than 'Jama'. He does pull the strings with skill though. Making himself necessary by murdering those of actual ability... there is a special place in Hell for worthless fiends like him."

She looked over to him, "You wouldn't have any idea where the fleet is headed yet would you? Eventually you all will have to navigate it somewhere... but it appears that 'where' is still a mystery to most."

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:57 pm 

His smile died. "You like to live dangerously, senorita. Don't pull us into this. You can finish your drink before getting back on your way." He rose quickly and looked around.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:17 pm 

She nodded, "I assure you I have nothing in my heart other than a desire to return home swiftly and without complication. There is nothing to drag anyone into... I merely think poorly of bad men."

She finished her drink, "Just know that when you or any of your men are out at sea... and not stifled by the fear created in this bubble... you have friends that don't ruin your lives before 'saving' them. Salvation does not come through the men who have created this 'Ultimate Hope' you now reside in."

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:05 am 

"I am a bad man, senorita. Let it sink." He mused, turning away. "The way to survive here is to stop thinking us and them. Here or there, we're all just people who can be bargained with." He moved to the door. "Adios. I have my Imperio to protect. Kharsis be with you." And he left.

/exit

Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next