Login FAQ  
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:35 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: Anonymous Crowds (Tasca da Esquina, D1-EA)
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:39 pm 

Anonymous, that was what Wataru wanted now. He was known in town, so returning had been a bit of a bother. Having everyone look at you and laugh, or at least that's what he felt from most samurai that recognized him, but at least in Tasca da Esquina being anonymous was guaranteed, since most of the people that visited were gaijin foreigners, and the others that were there were mainly sailors that cared little for the gossip of land.

Besides, he had the small feeling that he had sort of discovered the place, that somehow it was part of him. It made him feel comfortable.

Last edited by Gusai Wataru on Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Carries: Daisho, Pistol, Light Armor, Personal Seal, Pillow Book, Fan, Coin Case, Jade, Parchments and Coal
Languages: Broken Merenaese and Rokugan

Post subject: Re: Anonymous Crowds (Tasca da Esquina, D1-EA)
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:48 am 

It was time for lunch, and so Ran popped into a tavern where she found herself suddenly famished and looking for anyone who might be interesting conversation.

She spotted someone who wore colours like hers. That would be a good place to begin.

She approached, her kimono a warmer one against the turning season. The cottons and silks in shades of autumn: burnt oranges, warm browns, and vibrant red flowers. Her brown hair- already peppered with white strands- was tied back simply from her face. But her face, and every part of her skin that was visible, was tarnished. Blemished, one might say, with unfortunate freckles that deterred the eyes of would-be suitors, and made most uneasy.

"One thousands apologies if this one is disturbing you." She said to the ronin with a deep bow. Her brown eyes were kind. "Might this one join you? Perhaps we might share some sake?" she asked delicately.

Outfit: Extravagant Clothing, Wakizashi, Pistol, Calligraphy Set, Traveling Pack

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:19 am 

Wataru was surprised as the woman asked for the spot next to him. He eyed her, inspected her attire, very much like his own, with the same colors, with the same inclination of the clan that he had been expelled from. Could she also be Phoenix? He wondered. The samurai, offered her a place as his order of simple brown, cheap, rice reached him, along with a bottle of sake. He was still wearing his ronin attire, although he had now a clan to serve again.

"It seems like the sake is already here." He replied with a smile, and poured in both cups that the waiter had brought along, seeing his new companion. "My name is Wataru."

Last edited by Gusai Wataru on Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Carries: Daisho, Pistol, Light Armor, Personal Seal, Pillow Book, Fan, Coin Case, Jade, Parchments and Coal

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:31 pm 

"Arigato," she thanked him as she took a seat and accepted the cup. Before the waiter left, she ordered a bento box for herself. It seemed she was not as stingy with her money as Wata? She was soft, well fed.

"This one is called Ran, it's a pleasure to meet you, Wata-sama. I have heard your name while I'll be in Dragon's Guard City. From what I have gathered in my ...snooping around about you, you and I are not so dissimilar." She offered him a tepid smile, and lifted her cup. "Kampai."

Outfit: Extravagant Clothing, Wakizashi, Pistol, Calligraphy Set, Traveling Pack

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:30 am 

"Kampai!" he repeated after the woman and taking a bite. Susumu better have my salary ready, he thought to himself as he looked at his dish and then to the one of the ronin woman.

"I have never seen you around here before Ran-san. I hope you haven't heard anything too harsh about myself, so just in case I'll give you a heads up." The samurai gave a charming smile and drank from his cup, "I was a student of the college, a bright one, if you allow me to say, a rising one. But then I got too arrogant and thought that my own view was the proper one, and showed off during the play of the Stag Battle. That caused me to be stripped of my family name, Shiba, and to be also removed from the College. Anything other than that, is a lie, unless it's something good that they told you." The samurai offered another smile to the woman, and then asked her "What about you, Ran-san? What hides behind you?"

Last edited by Gusai Wataru on Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 2:04 pm 

She smiled, and she nodded, and she listened patiently as Wata spoke.

"I see. Nothing I had not heard then, but I think we are well met. I too was Phoenix. Asako," she put a hand delicately to her chest, in rememberance of where she came from, and then sipped her sake. "I was not stripped of our clan mon - I gave it up freely, in order to join the Naka path, learn the mean path, and follow the dying flight of the phoenix before it is reborn from its ashes."
Ran spoke quietly, but there was passion to her voice that echoed in her dark eyes.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:47 pm 

"The path of the Naka," he repeated, yet in a low voice, reminding her that it was just not very clever to say it too loudly. "I have encountered one or two in my day. I cannot say if it was a wise choice to leave the Phoenix clan, but I respect your choice, Ran-san. And what brings you to Dragon's Guard? If I may ask..."

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:11 am 

She was humble, and she lowered her voice, dropped her shoulders to be more conspiratorial, "My father."

Ran elaborated. "He began the path I walk on now, and I have followed where he tread, in hope.... of finding him. He disappeared from my family home some years ago. But he kept correspondence with me, though I had no where to send my letters, he would always move on before mine would reach him. I followed him here, to Dragon's Guard City. I think he's out there," she motions with a wide swoop of her arm in the direction of the open water.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:37 am 

"Interesting..." The mind of the ronin worked fast and already had a theory of who his father was, but he kept it to himself. Though Ran-san could see that he was thinking. When he caught her looking at him, he just smiled. "Well, I would like to help you, Ran-san, and will do whatever can be done to find the lost members of our former clan. I too was expecting to find some overseas."

This is a grim topic, thought the samurai as he brought some unpleasant memories to Ran. I should change the topic.

"What do you dedicate yourself to, Ran-san? I, myself, am a sailor, a man of sea, and have been working for the Mantis for the past weeks."

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:32 pm 

She was pensive as well, thoughtful. She appreciated the other ronin's considerations of her.
Ran gave him the tiniest smile.
"I am fascinated by the sea as well, and what is to be known. I follow information, whatever anyone is willing to teach me, I am an eager student. Recently, in looking for work to pay my way for my travels, I have been a navigator for ships, a weather forecaster, and occasionally I have aided in the building of the very ships themselves. My hands enjoy being kept busy, as does my mind."

She paused. "What do the Mantis give you?"

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:31 pm 

"Well..." He looked a bit perky, happy, "I have just recently joined them, if you haven't heard. I've yet to receive my equipment, and my new mon, which is why I still wear my previous ronin clothes. I want to believe it's not because of my naming as Commander, but as result of my services to their clan in the past months. I've been with Gusai Susumu a lot, and he was pushing for this to happen." The samurai meditated about what he had received before that. "As sailor to the Mantis, I was well fed, housed, and was even promoted as an equal, because of my skills and not of who I was. It was quite refreshing to see this attitude."

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:46 pm 

"Oh well congratulations I believe are in order, Wata-sama." Ran inclined her head to him, and then lifted her cup. "Kampai! Perhaps I will speak to your captain tomorrow."

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:14 pm 

"Someone like you in the ship? That sounds like a splendid idea. I would feel very comfortable with your presence, Ran-san. Make sure to prove to him that you are a worthy sailor, and not someone trying to jump into this new age of discoveries."

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:49 am 

"Your words are very kind. And of course," she heeded his discretion. "I know how to sell my talents to captains. It's how I afford to eat, after all. I'm sure you understand. The life of a ronin is not a life of certainty, is it?"

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:03 am 

"My life as a ronin has only been of one year alone, and I had already Susumu-sama's attention from a competition we had had on the Regata day last year." He informed the samurai-ko, "I can only imagine what it can be to have been a full time ronin for longer, and without a stable job." Of course he had done other things, as he had ventured looking for some of his own previous relations, but that was another story.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:26 pm 

"Ah yes," he clarified his timeline a bit for her, and Ran nodded briefly. "Yes it's been... longer than a year for me. Sometimes it doesn't feel like so long, only the blink of an eye since I said goodbye to my mother... Othertimes, I can hardly remember where I came from.
But no matter," she waived a hand,

"This isn't the time or place to discuss my past, is it?" she put on a bright smile for Wataru-sama. "I was saying congratulations to you, let's continue from there."

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:07 am 

"Thank's again, Ran-san. I appreciate your words, as well as letting me know a little bit more about you. I hope you feel safe and able to trust in me. Despite us just meeting."

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 1:29 pm 

She considered, and looked at the former-ronin-now-Mantis with appraisal, "You're very welcome, Gusai-sama. It's a balancing act, knowing who to trust and who to keep at a cursory distance. I find it does not behoove me to be cold or closed off - as one who travels and needs to sell my skills to captains, it assists me to be personable, and even better to take men for their word.
I think that's why I like seafarers better than courtiers," Ran gave a light chuckle.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:48 am 

Wataru was surprised at her words specially the last of them, his face expressed the surprised and he wondered if maybe she had had problems with courtiers previously. "I hope you trust me, even though I was, am, courtier. We aren't all that bad. In the end I am a honorable samurai, and I stay true to my word."

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:07 pm 

She was pleased at that. "Honour and sincerity are worth more than any amount of koku, Gusai-sama." Her expression was kind.

Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next