Login FAQ  
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:15 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Page 1 of 3 [ 42 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post subject: New Era in Naval Warfare [LM1]
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:59 am 

(This is an observation thread for the Teppodoka event)

Gusai Ryoshida was back on the beach to observe the musketeer drills, seated comfortably on his portable command stool.

Post subject: Re: New Era in Naval Warfare [LM1]
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:28 pm 

Ryoshida would not be the only one. The palanquin of the Tortoise Champion was carried into the beach and stopped some distance away. Once grounded, Zazu crept out of it and sat on the step, having a perfect beach cover from wind and noise. And, last but not least, a selection of snacks within reach. With his small, squinty eyes, he watched the proceedings.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:26 am 

Wata finished his pat of the exam and wondered around the waterfront, observing the other students test, although he was very proud of his own demonstration and could only find failures on that of the others. Then a palanquin reached the beach, such strange occurrence, thought the ronin to himself. Walking on the beach did not seem something smart to do, this person must be some sort of lazy one, or one trying to prove his status. From the palanquin crept out a man that Wata had not seen before in the city, someone that his senses told him to be wary of. Tortoise, he identified.

Carries: Daisho, Pistol, Light Armor, Personal Seal, Pillow Book, Fan, Coin Case, Jade, Parchments and Coal
Languages: Broken Merenaese and Rokugan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:42 am 

"Well done, boy." Zazu addressed the ronin. "It looks like you've overcome much more experienced warriors. It looks like firearms require a different kind of combatant, don't they?"

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:38 am 

After the event organized by Akodo Meikuko, the Seppun princess decided to go and observe the marines in action. She was in a surprisingly good mood, her smile was covered by her fan of course.

She remembered the conversation she had with Matsu Yasuhiro about muskets and kannonus, so she wanted to see how they worked, live. She noticed both, the Mantis champion and the Tortoise champion were there observing the drills of men and women of the Teppodoka Marines.

The loud roar of the muskets and the smoke surprised Hinami. She had read about them, but it was the first time she saw them in action. There were no kannonusu though.

Last edited by Seppun Hinami on Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Languages: Rokugani
Carries: Traditional Clothing, Extravagant Furisode (Usually), Extravagant Jūnihitoe (Very Formal), Wakizashi, Tanto, Calligraphy Set, Personal Chop, Exquisite Jade Pendant
Mon: Seppun, Otomo
D13 Theme

Since D6 LA accompanied by Megumi, a Rokugani ronin translator.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:43 am 

"I am honored, Muhaki Zazu-sama, for your praise." His head falls to the ground before the Champion of the Tortoise, the one near him, "I only did everything that was under my possibilities. After yesterday's show, I was rather curious on the tests and decided to participate today." The samurai, who had been bowed until that moment, slightly lifted his head, though he was still prostrated before the Champion. "Being a commander is not only about being a combatant, I would say. It also requires a clear mind, and in this day in age, an understanding eye."

"I really was impressed by this new weapon." He confessed with a smile, "I had expected them to be more complicated to use, but once you understand the mechanism, it's easier to use. I would say that it's a weapon of the future, a masterpiece of technology that requires understanding and respect, after all it is still a small explosion."

Carries: Daisho, Pistol, Light Armor, Personal Seal, Pillow Book, Fan, Coin Case, Jade, Parchments and Coal

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:31 am 

"There is a place among the Tortoise for those who understand this." Zazu commented. "A good place."

The scene was observed by Ryoshida's single eye with some intensity.

"I know you were Agasha Kasuga in that grand play. As misunderstood by Prince Jama as Kasuga was by the Empress."

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:02 am 

"I am honored for you remembering my rol in the play last year, Muhaki Zazu-sama," replied the samurai. It occurred to Wata that the Muhaki was mainly trying to gain the Explorer's commander for the Tortoise Clan, or maybe it was his arrogant courtier Phoenix self that thought as much of himself. He had been impressive today, but the tests had just started. He needed to try to get some time though, "Anyone would be honored to be part of the Tortoise clan. In it's short life it has proven to be an important asset to the Empire. The loss of your gracious wife was a great loss to us all, I hope you will take my most sincere, and humble, condolences."

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:15 am 

"I take them gratefully. In order to prosper the Clan cannot afford living in the past, however. Not a one like mine. Thinking what future may hold is part of what I do and should be doing. I like good, quick decisions." Zazu popped a nut into his mouth.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:33 am 

Seppun Hinami wrote:
After the event organized by Akodo Meikuko, the Seppun princess decided to go and observe the marines in action. She was in a surprisingly good mood, her smile was covered by her fan of course.

She remembered the conversation she had with Matsu Yasuhiro about muskets and kannonus, so she wanted to see how they worked, live. She noticed both, the Mantis champion and the Tortoise champion were there observing the drills of men and women of the Teppodoka Marines.

The loud roar of the muskets and the smoke surprised Hinami. She had read about them, but it was the first time she saw them in action.

Another Imperial princess waa also watching. Suihime decided against competing today, not wishing to insult the competition when she clearly lacked the skills. However, she still wanted to watch - the gunfire and strategy always interested her.

She noticed an Imperial she hadn't met recently watching, and with a smile moved towards her just as the cannonfire goes off, bowing after a moment. "Enjoying the display, Seppun-sama?" She asked

Imperial * Captain of the Ashitae Maru * Courtier *Imperial Explorer * Herald * Jama's Retainer * Bookworm * Jinn-Touched * Prolific Pundit on Gaijin Affairs * Gaijin-curious * Princess of the Imperial Navy * Profile
Status: 4.0 | Glory 7.8 | Honour/Faith Exceptional | Reputation 1.3

Languages: Rokugani, Mekhem, Yobanjin, Merenaese, ???

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:45 am 

Wata evaluated the reaction of the Muhaki to the mention of his deceased wife, it would be proof of his relation with her, of the relation that was expected if he were to take up a new wife. A new wife would probably help him take a better hold of the clan as well, specially since the son was yet to be found. The Yasuki was after the future of the clan, or so he said; which made sense for someone who was suddenly placed as Champion. But that wasn't the case yet, not as far as to getting married.

He looked out to the sea, at least his face headed towards it, since he still didn't feel as the Muhaki would take him to standing before him. "I would say our future is set towards the East, towards the Sea of Amaterasu, where a new world of possibilities comes to the Empire. And I owe my presence in Dragon City to the patronage of the Mantis clan, who has supported me until now. I thank them very much for it, since it has given me this new opportunity."

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:51 am 

"I think I can afford covering your liabilities to the Mantis. But then, one of the very few virtues of being a ronin is having a measure of freedom to choose."

Zazu said without malice, then waved his plump hand. Noticing Suihime, he smiled under his nose.

"I'll be watching the drills here for a while longer."

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:19 pm 

"A ronin can also have loyalty to those he is hired from, Muhaki Zazu-sama, at least I am one ronin of Honor who would first come to his former patron before turning against him."

As it seemed that the Tortoise had given the conversation for done, so did Wata, raising from his posture and turning to the main event that had brought them there. Maybe Zazu would lose interest in him if he was not Commander after all. Maybe others would also try to get him to their clan if he turned out to be Commander as well. Anyway, this seemed to already benefit the ronin, as his name was passed from mouth to mouth for a new reason than the play.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:35 pm 

Ryoshida may or may not have been overhearing. His own attention returned to the teppodoka.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:25 pm 

Miya Suihime wrote:
Another Imperial princess waa also watching. Suihime decided against competing today, not wishing to insult the competition when she clearly lacked the skills. However, she still wanted to watch - the gunfire and strategy always interested her.

She noticed an Imperial she hadn't met recently watching, and with a smile moved towards her just as the cannonfire goes off, bowing after a moment. "Enjoying the display, Seppun-sama?" She asked

Hinami turned around '' Ohayou Gozaimasu, Miya Suihime-san.'' she bowed respectfully to Odorihime's daughter. '' Well, I can't say that I'm enjoying the display, but certainly I'm surprised...'' She looked at the marines, fanning herself slowly. '' I read a lot of these gaijin weapons, but never saw them in action.''

'' They are so loud, and all the smoke they produce. I can't imagine how an officer would command his troops if he can't see them, nor the enemy...'' She said.

Carries: Traditional Clothing, Extravagant Furisode (Usually), Extravagant Jūnihitoe (Very Formal), Wakizashi, Tanto, Calligraphy Set, Personal Chop, Exquisite Jade Pendant
D13 Theme

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:53 pm 

"Firing them leaves a ringing in your ears that lasts for quite some time" Suihime nodded "I do find it strange that weapons that create so much smoke and noise have been so heavily favoured by the gaijin. They can be very destructive though" Suihime paused as another round of gunfire started, fanning herself gently as she watched "your first time viewing them I assume. Very complex weapons."

Imperial * Captain of the Ashitae Maru * Courtier *Imperial Explorer * Herald * Jama's Retainer * Bookworm * Jinn-Touched * Prolific Pundit on Gaijin Affairs * Gaijin-curious * Princess of the Imperial Navy * Profile

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:24 pm 

Hinami nods. '' Yes it's my first time.'' The sound those gaijin weapons produced was awful. '' I could imagine that the sound could be a factor in combat, but only against Ashigaru. I don't believe a samurai would fear them...''

'' Also, still I can't see how they could be better than traditional weapons.'' She pointed with her fan towards the marines, as they recharged their muskets. '' They are so slow, by the time they can use their weapons again, a bushi could lose 5 or 6 arrows, at least.''

D13 Theme

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:39 pm 

Suihime frowned slightly as she watched the marines reloading. "I've seen them reloaded much quicker than that, but I agree to an extent. Prolonged combat, these weapons are ineffective except for the distance they can fire at. However, the damage the can do initially is quite substantial. Easily more damage than an arrow can do. And those" she motioned with her fan towards the cannons "are designed to destroy ships, as I'm sure you are aware."

[No cannons there - Kannon.]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:06 pm 

With the second day of drills finished, Hiraga descended on the beach from his vantage point and approached the ronin.

"You've shown the greatest aptitude from among those who made the attempt. Now you'll have a challenge before you, a great one, and you can take nothing for granted when facing it. I wish myself and you that you rise above your current aberrant conditions and your past failures. Pick up the documentation and your inogana by tomorrow evening... preferably from Moshi-sama. If you waste my people and return to tell the tale, expect a lethal challenge the moment you walk down the plank. This is all I have to tell you, Wata-san."

The length of the declaration left an ashen taste in Hiraga's mouth. He bowed, turned away and left.

/exit

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:09 pm 

"I wish to speak with you."

Wata heard the regally commanding voice from behind. He knew it to belong to Ryoshida.

Page 1 of 3 [ 42 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next