Login FAQ  
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:04 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Page 1 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: So, you're my husband....(D1 EN)
PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:38 pm 

It wasn't difficult to spot the Mantis champions ship. It was huge! Suihime wasn't sure if the man would even be on the ship, and she certainly wouldn't do like she would with Susumu and just wander onto his ship. That seemed like a dangerous thing to do. So, she had a message sent ahead to say she wished to see Ryoshida, then sat down on a box in the pier under her green umbrella - worried about potential rain - and with her sketchpad open she drew the huge ship in front of her.

Maybe he won't be around... she idly thought to herself, suppressing a yawn as she worked on her drawing. If he wasn't around, she could just return back to home where it's warm.

Imperial * Captain of the Ashitae Maru * Courtier *Imperial Explorer * Herald * Jama's Retainer * Bookworm * Jinn-Touched * Prolific Pundit on Gaijin Affairs * Gaijin-curious * Princess of the Imperial Navy * Profile
Status: 4.0 | Glory 7.8 | Honour/Faith Exceptional | Reputation 1.3

Languages: Rokugani, Mekhem, Yobanjin, Merenaese, ???

Post subject: Re: So, you're my husband....(D1 EN)
PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:27 am 

She would no finish her drawing. A man was soon sent for her to bring her on board. Her betrothed was standing by the starboard despite the late hour, watching her ascent up the plank. He was wearing a kimono of dark teal with golden waves embroidered all across. He bowed to her as she set her foot on his level.

"Good evening, Miya-san. Let me make one thing clear at the very beginning. As my promised you are entitled to every honour, privilege, splendour and wealth at my disposal. I bid you to never wait in the cold again."

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:56 pm 

Suihime was a little sad at not finishing her drawing, but she had been summoned quickly so she was glad of that at least. She paused at the bottom of the long plank, looking up at the man who waited for her. The way he stood, and how the the light caught his shape, was captured in her mind to add to the drawing later.

She walked up the plank, much longer than she was used to, and bowed deeply to Ryoshida. "Good evening Gusai-dono. Forgive me for sending for you at such a late hour, it has been quite a long day, and thank you" She gave him a small smile, adding "I guess I should wait a short while before testing those limits, neh?" in a half-joking tone. Hoping the man had a good sense of humour.

"I hope you are well?"

Imperial * Captain of the Ashitae Maru * Courtier *Imperial Explorer * Herald * Jama's Retainer * Bookworm * Jinn-Touched * Prolific Pundit on Gaijin Affairs * Gaijin-curious * Princess of the Imperial Navy * Profile

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:53 pm 

"I am always ready for a challenge, Miya-san. This is my way of life." He smirked briefly. "Fortunes have smiled on me today. I'd tell you more about how well I am but my crewmen are listening. Seeing me too happy may be bad on morale." He chuckled. "But speaking too much of myself in the presence of a princess as lovely as you demonstrates poor judgement. Are you well, Miya-san?"

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 6:06 pm 

Suihime chuckled at his comment. He seemed to have a good sense of humour at least!

"You are too kind Gusai-dono, thank you. It has indeed been a blessed day. I am well, perhaps a little tired from a long day but that is all. I would have arrived sooner if it was not for the captains exam that took place an hour ago" there was a brief frown at remembering the exam but it was gone in a moment "you are to be my husband though, so I wish to learn more about you. Or if you prefer to keep some things a secret, perhaps a tour of this quite incredible ship? And please my lord, you may use my given name. I won't be Miya for much longer, ne?"

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:00 am 

"Of course, Suihime-san. I prefer to hear my given name from my fiancee's lips as well. If you wish to tour Suitengu's Fury, this is what we shall do. Some secrets of mine may reveal themselves naturally as we do so."

He gestured toward the bow, smiling faintly.

"This is a hybrid design, a military version of the treasure ship the Kaiu build for us, faster and better armed, but not without spaciousness and comforts. Inside you'll have a chance to unwind after this taxing day, and tell me about those exams."

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:26 am 

"As you wish Ryoshida-dono" Suihime dipped her head, before turning to examine the ship as he spoke. It made the other ships she had been on look tiny in comparison - she was certain you could almost fit two of the Walrus onto it!

"It's so big, I'm almost amazed that it stays afloat" Suihime chuckled, taking a feq steps in the direction he gestured to admire the workmanship. "How fast does it sail? How big is the crew? Ah...forgive me, I'm an inquisitive girl as all scholars are. It has been a long day, perhaps we can save the full tour for another day? I'm sure it's warmer inside too" she turned back to look at the man with a nod.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:29 pm 

Ryoshida chuckled.

"It displaces over a million pounds so it won't sink easily. The lower deck are compartmentalised with waterproof divides so it can sustain much damage to the hull before it starts to take too much water. It's over four hundred feet long, and can comfortably fit several hundred men, up to a thousand in a time of war. It's not the fastest, but it is built for war rather than for the regatta."

He led the way further, approaching the door in the castle.

"Nothing to forgive, you endear me precisely the way you are, Suihime-san." He glanced at her. "Inside it'll be easier to banish the chill."

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:08 pm 

Suihime was impressed, and it showed. She hadn't been on a ship that could be even close to this size or power. "Kami...It must be quite challenging to control at times! Clearly only a vessel that someone of your talents can tame" She looked around the ship as they walked, remembering each detail as she did so and nodding to any workers she passed along the way. "I cannot wait to see how it sails." She turned back to Ryoshida, giving him a smile and a nod "thank you. I will attempt to keep questioning to a minimum though I assure you."

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:17 pm 

"I have a steady hand for taming wild beasts." He chuckled. "The tiger that took my eye, I kept him and built a comfortable catwalk for him in Shiro Gotei. He reminds me who I am whenever minutiae of governance start to cloud it."

He opened the door and let her step in first.

"Ask as many questions as you like, Suihime-san. I want my wife to know the affairs and the capabilities of the Clan. When one sails away, the other runs the Isles. I have karo and hatamoto and captains, but they are all sharks waiting to take advantage of the great white one. The only person I can expect to run things as I would is my mother. She's getting very old though. And you and her are of the same stock, Suihime-san. One of the reasons I entered the fight for your hand."

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:56 pm 

She had heard the story of a tiger, but Suihime was surprised that he kept the animal. She stepped in, saying "I'll look forward to meeting him as long as he doesn't take my eye. I quite like my face as it is."

She entered, looking the room over before turning back to Ryoshida. "That's good. I'm glad you're going to be so open and honest with me, as I'm very hands-on with my approach. I know some champions would have liked the prestige and just looked at that. That's all I saw in Muhaki-sama, and while I might be a delightful Imperial princess, I'm no trophy wife" she shook her head "I hope you're prepared for that, Ryoshida-dono."

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:12 pm 

"We'll have our fights, Suihime-san." He raised a brow. "But isn't it the point? I had a dull wife. Never again." He then went in and closed the door, turning the lamp on, then guiding her down the corridor.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:46 pm 

"So no more dull moments, I'll remember that" Suihime nodded, a smile on her face as she continued down the corridor. She decided his previous wife was likely a bad subject, so didn't ask about her as much as she wanted to. "While some of us were writing exams, what did Ryoshida-dono do to pass the time? I do hope I wasn't interrupting anything important with my unexpected arrival."

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:56 pm 

"Some bulk trade. My broker here, Shumpei, has gathered a stockpile of valuable northern ores and precious stones we're taking back to the Isles for our craftsmen. I reviewed the gems to check if there is something suitable for your wedding accessories." He said casually as they approached the staircase leading to the upper level of the castle.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:03 pm 

Wedding accessories?

"And did you find any?" Suihime replied, equally calmly, heading up the staircase "I have to admit I'm not the most skilled at commerce. It's something I will have to learn."

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:09 pm 

"You'll learn. It's what you Imperials usually do, just with less people and more money. Not my words. Mother's." Ryoshida smirked. "And you'll see for yourself since you've come."

They finally reached his cabin. Inside, it was a multi-room space with a small audience space and screened private quarters to the back. The screens were all in marine motifs. Some portrayed monsters, like the earthquake fish or a giant squid. But to the right the screens were painted in a remarkably foreign style, unseen in Rokugan, and with animals strange and almost unknown in the Empire either. Elephants, giraffes, rhinoceri.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:25 pm 

Suihime was glad Ryoshida couldn't see her face, as she frowned at that comment. She pushed it to the back of her mind for now though, taking the time to admire the room.

"The art in here is quite different. A real mix of animals and...other things" she decided the word 'monsters' wouldn't be suitable. She walked over to the gaijin designed screens, examining the paintings "where did you get these?"

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:09 am 

'The Mantis influence reaches farther than many in the Empire realise. Once you are my wife, Suihime-san, the secrets of the faraway lands these creatures are native to will become known to you." He approached the decanter. "It's basi, a light sweet drink. Would you like some?"

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:16 am 

"It's like you know how to appeal to me" Suihime chuckled, rising and turning round to look at the man with a nod. "Basi? How interesting, where is it from? I'd love to try some" she made her way over.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:32 am 

He poured a goblet for her and for himself. Stepping closer, he looked into her eyes with his ony one and smiled faintly, then reached out to her with the drink for her to take it.

"The idea comes from a place called Coral Islands. It is made of sugar cane which we now grow on our Isles. Rum is for heavier drinking, basi is a casual thirst-quencher."

He turned his head toward the piece of art decorating one of the walls, made entirely of a single block of coral.

"The corals we harvest there are of this beauty and size. This one I ordered to be carved into a panorama of Shiro Gotei."

Page 1 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next