Login FAQ  
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:15 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Page 1 of 1 [ 19 posts ] 

Post subject: Friend to the People [Day 2, EE, La Última Esperanza]
PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:26 pm 

As the sun set on the distance, the smell of food begun to fill every nook and corner of Little Merenae. Earlier men had gone through the streets inviting the inhabitants to share in the good fortune that had befallen Zabieru and enjoy a warm meal for that purpose. Now with the evening upon them, fires blazed and heated pitch black cauldrons filled with a reddish-orange mix and bulky seaman bustled around making sure the mix cooked correctly and the flames never died as well as making sure every mouth that arrived was matched with a hefty portion of the grub.

The stew was instantly recognized by most Mereneese as the Aberri staple of marmitako, a traditional sailor food that counted with equal parts of fish - though sometimes whale - and vegetables. Every dish given was always accompanied by the giver saying "Because Don Xabier wants to share his good fortune with the good people of La Última Esperanza"

In the middle, a joyous Zabieru walked greeting and smiling to the people that begun to gather in the plaza.

Equipment: Rapier, navigation tools, light armor when applicable

Post subject: Re: Friend to the People [Day 2, EE, La Última Esperanza]
PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:27 pm 

Tagging this for my own purposes, others should feel free to join if they like.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:34 pm 

Edogawa was at his captain's side, with Nari at his. He greeted many of those gathering around them with a friendly smile or a wave. One man watched from a distance, amusement clear in his expression.

Carries: Wakizashi, Rapier, Tools
Speaks: Rokugani, Merenaese, Thranish, Sign
Accompanied By: Nari

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:45 pm 

"Do you like it?" the man said as he finished greeting some of the locals. He pointed at the stew. "I love it. Reminds me of home."

"You've been there haven't you?"

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:12 pm 

"It's marmitako, correct?" Edogawa smiled. "Delicious. This is all very generous of you Muhaki-sama."

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:15 pm 

He smiled at his answer and turned back at the masses, greeting those that came to thank him.

"Indeed," he spoke a smile never leaving his mouth. "They are my people as much as you are. Furthermore," he turned towards him and winked. "We're going to need more sailors."

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:30 pm 

"They've been waiting for that." he grinned, motioning to the man in the distance. "Sailors, craftsman and laborers are waiting for their opportunity to serve in the fleet. Lopez and I have been evaluating and preparing them."

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:52 pm 

"Good," he stated. "My own crew from Aberri will be joining us to provide some experience. Some of them served with my mother and thus saw me before I even had my sealegs," he gestured with his head to the burly cook, a grizzled old man with a disfiguring scar that had robbed him of his left eye. "All of them are hardened from multiple voyages. They'll provide a good backbone to our vessel and will help the new ones settle in and learn the ropes."

"I run a tight ship Miya-san," he continued. "I want you to voice your concerns and give me advice and I will value it even if it goes against me. Can't live in an echochamber can we?" he laughed. "But one thing I expect. Loyalty. The loyalty that a first mate owes his captain. I believe you know enough of Merenese culture to not have to explain to you how strong those bonds are, do I?"

One of the older sailors brought two dishes and handed them to Edogawa and Zabieru. "So," the Tortoise continued as he prepared to eat. "I've heard a lot of you but before I pass judgements I'd prefer to know it from you. Who is Miya Edogawa?"

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:06 pm 

"The answer to that is very complicated.." he admitted. "You have my loyalty and you will have my advice and skill. I constructed these vessels and know them better than any man. I have made mistakes. I will not deny that. But, I will not betray my superiors, our crew or our mission."

"I was born with a spiritual imbalance that has defined much of who I am. It led me to my craft and led me here to the people of La Ultima Esperanza." he added. "It has jumbled my thoughts, at times, bringing the life of another to the surface of my mind. This is not a dangerous thing, but it may be unsettling if you witness it."

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:29 pm 

"My objectives are the same as those of Our Admiral," he stated with a smile though there was a faint annoyance. "And to suggest I might betray my crew. Be careful with those words around Abertzales," he motioned and laughed lightening the mood. "I will really need to drill you on Merenese culture."

He raised an eyebrow "Oh?" he scratched his chin. "I had heard some Ivindi Purohita experienced out of body experiences and invited the spirits of the Gods to inhabit their vessels, I assumed they were just filled to the brim with all those "religious" herbs and mixes they love to take," he appraised him as he took a spoonful of the stew. "Do you have a God inhabitting you?"

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:36 pm 

"I think you misunderstood. I was assuring you of my loyalty, nothing more." he shook his head. "The spirit within me is not a god. He is a hero of legend, reborn in my form. This is the will and way of the Celestial Order. This particular spirit, however, is more powerful than most, maintaining some of its individuality. Some of his life and personality can overwhelm mine at times."

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:00 am 

"Oh," he laughed at his own mistake. "Then I was the fool. Pardon me Miya-san for this small lapse."

"A hero you say?" there was a tinge of disappointment but he was clearly still interested. "And what does this hero do with your body? Does he help you? Hinder you?"

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:20 am 

"Because I am him and he is me, I have a natural ability in certain skills he was known for." he explained. "However, I have found that if I overextend myself in those areas I can become confused about who I am. This also happens when I experience moments similar to what he did in his life. That is what likely led to my amnesia last year."

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:26 am 

"Have you tried to... exorcise him? Or at least control his spirit?" he commented. "That seems to be a very... troublesome existence."

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:33 am 

"I would be expelling my own spirit." he shook his head. "This isn't a ghost haunting me. This is my soul."

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:06 am 

"That sounds dreadfully inconvenient," he stated. "Wouldn't you wish there was a way for you not to... lose yourself in your previous version's memories?"

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:18 am 

"I think that can be accomplished." he shrugged. "I only recently discovered the true nature of my condition. In time, I suspect I'll understand it better. Until then, it's just a matter restraining myself and being cautious."

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:39 am 

"I have an extensive library where we are going," he commented idly. "I collect books and knowledge and I will keep doing it. Perhaps we can find something for you."

"So, now that I've asked you everything I wanted to ask, do you have any questions for me?"

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 3:39 pm 

"What are your feelings regarding this venture?" he asked. "Muhaki Berena-san had expressed opposition to it."

Page 1 of 1 [ 19 posts ]