Login FAQ  
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:34 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: All Good Soliders (Day 10 Late Night)
PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 2:25 am 

He shouldn't be out here, not at this hours with the fogs so deep, the young Lion didn't much care though. He'd almost welcome something he could fight emerging from the mists. Yasuhiro knew what he'd see at the Gaijin party, though still some part of him thought it might be different. Hoped perhaps? Disappointment was a constant companion of late though and he was disappointed once again this evening.

Wandering the cliffs,he kept his ears and eyes open for signs of anything out of the usual as he let his mind wander. He really didn't know what to do anymore,he was mostly out of options.

Last edited by Matsu Yasuhiro on Sat Dec 09, 2017 5:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Honor: Exceptional | Status: 6.0 | Glory: 4.4| Infamy: 1.0 | Reputation: 1.7 | Notoriety: 1.1

Carries: Daisho, Kimono, Finger of Jade
When allowed: Yumi, Light Armor

Merenaese

Post subject: Re: All Good Soliders (Day 10 Late nigh)
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:34 am 

In the mists, he spotted a glow of a fireplace, or another source of light.

Post subject: Re: All Good Soliders (Day 10 Late nigh)
PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:20 pm 

That was an oddity, one he didn't expect to see, but then Yasu had been seeing a lot of strange things lately, especially in the mists.

After a few moments of hesitation he decided to approach, though cautiously. Perhaps it would mean another chance to speak with his grandmother.

Honor: Exceptional | Status: 6.0 | Glory: 4.4| Infamy: 1.0 | Reputation: 1.7 | Notoriety: 1.1

Merenaese

Post subject: Re: All Good Soliders (Day 10 Late Night)
PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 1:06 pm 

It was a strange rotund tent, sturdy and tall, made of colourful fabrics and leathers.

Across an open flap Yasuhiro could see a man by the hearth, smoking a pipe.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:51 pm 

Yasuhiro had known it wouldn't be his grandmother, he had hoped of course, but he wasn't surprised as some foreigner appeared before him.

Approaching the man he offered him a bow. "Good evening." The Lion greeted him polietly.

Merenaese

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:31 pm 

Except the man did not look like a foreigner by facial features.

"The Kami's tongue? Very well, my friend. I haven't forgotten. Some hot water maybe?"

He puffed from the pipe and gestured into the yurt.

"So you've joined your fate with that of a jinn, like I said we can."

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:45 pm 

Now that he got closer he could see the rokugani features about the man. Still he was a little cautious as he approached. "That would be pleasant, thank you." Though tea would be better.

"It seems I have, though the process wasn't nessacarily voluntary. We thought it some sort of gaijin monster, so we attacked it. During the battle it forcefully bound itself to me."

Merenaese

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:55 pm 

"They can be quite forceful, true. But it is not because of selfishness."

The man bowed to Yasuhiro, quite properly, then entered the yurt.

"I am Iuchi Tsubei."

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:18 pm 

"Oh? I admit I'm a bit curious about that, their purpose and why they act like they do. I've asked a bit about it from the descendants of your people. I can't trust them though, not really."

The bow was returned. "It is good to meet you Iuchi-sama. I am Matsu Yasuhiro no Koritome." He replied, introducing himself before entering the tent.

Merenaese

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:48 pm 

He nodded. "A Matsu. It tells me little beyond knowing who Lady Matsu was. But then, you don't seem to know a lot about my people either. Among any people, there are those you cannot trust and those you can. It's always been this way."

The man sat by the fire. "It is just over the last decade or so when we have started to truly study the jinn. They remain mysterious creatures, hailing back from the age beyond our times, before the Seppun Hill. Lady Amaterasu has blessed Rokugan, but here in the Burning Sands they call her Shilah, and worship her as cruel goddess that has once scorched the earth in a time they call the Day of Wrath. Lush landscapes, rivers and cities were claimed by deserts, endless seas of hot sand. This was her punishment of the jinn for being defiant. But what I have come to understand is that the war between the jinn and their allies was a war between light and darkness, a final struggle not unlike our Day of Thunder, and the Sun intervened because the darkness was winning. That did not end the struggle, merely stalled it, and darkness will return to unmake the heavenly works in Ningen-do once again. I may be wrong, but I think the jinn that reside in humans preserve themselves for that final battle."

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:23 am 

"I know more then some, more the most honestly. The Jinn has shown me some of your history. You're clan is no longer what it was when it left Rokugan. Changed so much I can hardly see anything rokugani about them." There was a small pause. "You make a good point about trust though."

Moving to sit across from the man Yasuhiro listened as he spoke. "So the Jinn are warriors then? Creatures sworn to fight this darkness, whatever it is?"

Merenaese

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:21 am 

"Of course we're not what we were when we left. But we have never defied our Kami. All we've done is because she's willed us to do it. When she took the Moto in, when she asked us to ride against the Sorcerers, when she has asked us to scatter and study the land like we now do. This is the way she's acted on her Divine Brother's request. We could not have survived if we weren't changing, and all that we've learned about the lands beyond Rokugan would have been lost if we didn't survive. Now that the way back home is sealed, we must find another. But these lands are so vast that it may take us decades or centuries to do so. Without adopting the ways of people who live here we won't make it."

He paused to puff his pipe as the water was set over the hearth to boil.

"Like with the jinn. We can spend the dwindling lives of our own to fight them, or we can learn to harness their power. It was Lord Iuchi who learned that Isawa's teachings are almost useless in the lands where there are few kami and from the books we took from Laramun he learned how to wield magic in these lands from the power of talismans. But he didn't learn the Hakhim's Seal and stood no chance against the jinn who killed him. So it has fallen unto me to lead my people to study the Seal and the jinn, and there is still a lot to learn. But from the pupils of Qadir in the City of Peace we have learned enough to not be blind."

He sighed.

"The Senpet have a prophecy of a time when Selqet, the name they give to the earthly incarnation of Lady Sun, will come back to the world in an event called the Awakening, and the legions of light and dark will clash again. Yes, I believe the jinn who have remained faithful to Shilah despite her collective displeasure with them want to preserve themselves until the time when they can stand by her side."

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:15 am 

"You changed yes, but you still recall who you are, who you were. The modern Kirin are now the Unicorn, gone are the explorers that left our nation, they've been replaced with conquerors. Men and women who take multiple wives, and own slaves. That bend those they've conquered to their wills and buy and sell like cattle. A people that have forgotten the Kami save for Shinjo. That have forgotten bushido. It's not a fate that I would wish for the rest of Rokugan, so yes I am wary of them. As I see it as the result of too much time among the gaijin."

"I do understand the need to move forward though, to change and adapt to the times. There is a point that's too far though, a point perhaps of no return. Or so at least I believe."

There was a lingering pause. "So the Jinn can be used then, at least in a way. To give power to our priests in lands away from our home. I've heard this might be the case, but I wasn't sure. All this one has really shown me are the battles it's been in, through its various hosts."

"As for if it follows the will of Lady Sun, that's hard to determine. All I know is that it's a Jinn of Qannan."

Merenaese

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:22 pm 

"I don't know the Unicorn you speak of, Matsu-san, as you speak of matters beyond my time. However, you may consider this. Do you despise them for disregarding Bushido? At home, look no further than pupils of Kami Bayushi. Do you despise them for embracing conquest of those who have wronged them, making their own justice? At home, look no further than your own kin. Do you despise them for taking in new people and creating a system of both servitude and advancement for them while respecting who they had been? Well, I think you know what I am thinking. Inside Rokugan, the First Hantei set the rules. That was what their tourney was about. But outside, it is His Sister who has been setting her own rules. She is as much a child of Sun and Moon as the Kami you cherish, even if you probably have learned to omit her in your prayers, with her being gone from your lives for so long. For us, she is everything, our star through the long night, our oasis in the desert."

Tsubei sighed.

"Compassion is one of those Virtues you hold dear. Don't fault my kin for doing their best to survive, thrive and make good of their mission. If you think they have deviated from that path, help them back onto it, but I don't think any true descendant of Ki-Rin would stop to be an explorer. We may have left Rokugan, but Rokugan has never left our hearts, even if the necessities of life and death render it a distant longing."

He pressed his lips together.

"The jinn may be trying to be helpful for you as his host. He shows what he reads from your mind as being of interest to you." He went silent for a moment. "I know the name Qanon, a sorcerer of whom Qadir's pupils have taught us about. She was a master of binding jinn to soul vessels. Maybe your jinn learned how to live within you from her. I cannot say for certain, but I doubt Qanon would teach it to a foul jinn."

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:41 pm 

"Ah, so the Kami has made slaves of us then? They would take us against our will, rape our woman and force them into the roll of concubines?" The Lion shook his head. "You can't see the things that I've seen. Or know the things that I know, discussing this point further will likely prove futile on both our parts. Just know, I've never forsaken Shinjo in my prayers like your descendents do Akodo."

He smiled slightly. "That's the point in trying to make Iuchi-sama. If your descendents were like you I believe I could welcome them back, perhaps a bit reluctantly at first, but in time. As it is? I don't believe Rokugan lives in their hearts any longer, even as a distant longing. I could try to show them the way back, but I have my doubts about it. I believe it might be a impossible task." There was more he left unsaid. That he thought would happen if they came back. Blood and fire, their cities plundered, their women raped. Repressing the urge to sigh he moved on with the conversation.

"I'll keep what you have said in mind, I've come to believe that this Jinn isn't wholly a evil entity. Though it has cut me off from the voice of my grandmother. Which has caused me more then a little bit of concern."

Merenaese

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:06 am 

"I don't know where you draw this horrid impressions from, or about whom, Matsu-san, but I can't help feeling that they must be distorted. I can't believe that this is what's become of my people." Tsubei shook his head and went silent, smoking his pipe slowly.

"But in the end it's not my concern any more. I believe I've taught my pupils and descendants well, and they will find a way forward in the strange era when we finally meet you." He paused. "I think with your jinn and your grandmother it's like sitting in a yurt. You don't see the stars when you sit in a yurt."

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:26 am 

"Some are from the Jinn, and the visions I have seen in my head. Others are from what I've heard about your people and from your people. Perhaps some of it wrong, or half wrong at least. I pray that may be the case. Your people until recently have been following two paths after all. What I do know is that after Shinjo passed from this world, and the Otaku perished, your people changed and drastically."

There was a small paused, before the Lion dipped into a deep bow. "I think I've spoken too much on the matter now, revealed too much. You have my apologies, and my condolences Iuchi-sama."

Merenaese

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 1:59 am 

The man said nothing, but the age on his face showed more profoundly. He closed his eyes and nodded.

"There are purposes in this world greater than us and our suffering. We've sacrificed a lot to be able to go on, and there seems to be no end to it, but we need to live on hope that in the end it amounts to something, at journey's end."

He puffed from his pipe, and poured water for Yasuhiro into a metal cup.

"It will dawn soon, my friend. You need to leave my yurt if you want to go back to your challenging times."

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:05 am 

"Just a few more moments then." He took a sip frim the cup of water. "If you don't mind me doing so at least."

"You said the Jinn and my grandmother is like a yurt. Perhaps that means I don't see her because it's sheltering me?"

"Do you think there is a way to step outside, to see the stars again. Even for just a little while?"

Merenaese

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:11 am 

"There must be. There always is. Jinn are adaptable creatures, and can be bargained with. You'd need to summon yours forth to try to negotiate terms."

Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next