Login FAQ  
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:04 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: Master and commander [D13, EM]
PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:23 am 

Xabier felt renewed after the past day, the battle a distant memory once the pain and wounds disappeared. Yet despite the battle seeming a distant memory, the start of the expedition seemed as if it had just begun yesterday. He smirked as a strange feeling of nostalgia washed over him.

Yet now, in the eve of their departure, he needed to see what the Shining Prince would demand of him. The fact that Abertzale blood coursed through his veins was a boon for the man, a way to earn the loyalty of Aberri.

He made his way towards the Admiral's quarters in the vessel hoping the man would see him.

Equipment: Rapier, navigation tools, light armor when applicable

Post subject: Re: Master and commander [D13, EM]
PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:27 am 

Jama received him, with Suru on guard. He was in the process of analysing the accountings made by Yajinden with relation to the acquired Thranish weaponry. He waited for proper deference before he would look up.

"The great questions of the day will not be decided by courtly discussions or pious prayers to the Heavens, but by blood and iron."

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:32 am 

Xabier lowered in greeting, showing the proper deference to the Imperial Prince. His eyes closed as he did so, a show of great deference among the abertzale, tacitly showing his support for the Prince's endeavors in Merenae.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 11:50 am 

"Rise, Don Xabier." Jama's Merenaese was flawless, with unmistakable accent of La Corna.

"The great questions of the day will not be decided by courtly discussions or pious prayers to the Heavens, but by blood and iron."

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:18 pm 

The man rose at Jama's command, maintaining a respectful and deferent demeanor. "I am grateful that you could see me Jaurgo Garaia*," his tone was respectful. "I have come to inform that I shall be sailing towards Merenae after today to defend the claims of the Jainkoa Jaurreri**."

* High Lord: equivalent to imperial prince among the abertzale.
** Divine Empire: literally Empire of God.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:23 pm 

"It pleases me. Have you come to tell me about your involvement with the Xantellados then?" Jama nodded in recognition of the man's deference.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:58 pm 

A small smile surfaced. "I will be heading to Aberri and purge any members that might still hold my... grandfather's opinions." he commented. "I will also be working to help reinstate the Cornejo family and reforging the bonds that we shared."

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:03 pm 

"There might not be this many left. These are different times." Jama nodded. "How do you intend to reinstate Cornejos to La Corna without a Cornejo? The bastard granddaughter of Don Teodoro is with the Almerias."

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:26 pm 

He pondered. "There have been promises that will be bound in both the eyes of men and Gods that the Cornejo will be reinstated. I assume the bastard will be legitimized and take La Corna," he shrugged. "If she proves to be a fitting descendant of the Cornejo, my family will move to secure her position and thus repay the debt owed. The fates of our two families are deeply intertwined."

His expression darkened at the mention of there being few traitors. "I would not be so certain Jaungo Garaia," there seemed to be some reticence in his tone. "I believe my elder brother has taken the side of the King. Or another side. I do not know. But I doubt he is going to be helping us."

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 3:46 pm 

Jama didn't readily comment.

"Who do you think should reign at Carceiras then once Radenas are deposed then. The reinstated bastard?"

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 11:35 pm 

Xabier pondered in silence. The answer was not easy and his gut told him there was a pitfall somewhere along the question. He would have to thread with tact or he might find himself on the wrong side of Jama, a place that was thousandfold times worse than whatever realm was in which they fought the heathen Thranish.

"My champion is going to pursue a claim," he ventured slowly. "Yet I am skeptical. He paused hoping to feel the situations. "Merenae is not an easy kingdom to rule. Many were the kings that found themselves deposed due to a misstep or unable to cope with balancing clergy and nobility. If you throw the fact that the man is a foreigner and that he will have to go against both a strengthened inquisition and several noble families that benefited from the previous regime then the situation is not optimal.

"The situation might be more tolerable if the bastard would be placed as queen yet," he frowned. "That would tip the scales towards the Almeria. And given their history of collaboration with the inquisition and the relative weakness of my family and absence of a solid Cornejo powerbase it would be only a matter of time until we had the Almeria taking the role of the Radena family.

"Then there is the third option," he swallowed hard. "To pursue the claim of the Xantellados. Your blood my liege," the cat was out of the bag. "Your blood provides the best claim and it ties Aberri due to the ancient ties that both Cornejo and Arrigorriagakoa. Furthermore, it would solidify the bases of the Jainkoa Jaurreri as Jaungo Garaia would lead both Rokugan and Merenae.

Which brings me to my opinion," he breathed deeply. "The third option should be the one pressed. Merenae should be ruled by You, my liege, though in absentia. To make sure that there are no problems, the kingdom itself should be split into administrative regions that pay fealty directly to the Jaungo Garaia.

"This way the threat of civil war or unrest is minimized. If the enemies can not see the head, they can not attack it.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 12:33 am 

Jama nodded.

"I would name a viceroy presiding over Consejo Real in my absence, and call for assembly of the Cortes for the kingdom. Lower states may be best to check on rebellious hidalgo familias, and on Inquisition as its monopoly would be broken by secular institutions. The autonomy given to the provinces would extend to the choice of confession. New royal taxes would need the approval of the Cortes."

He paused, looking at Zabieru straight for a moment.

"By advancing this agenda you may not win, Don Xavier, but you will not lose. Anyone who suppresses those ideas will have a very quick reign."

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 12:48 am 

Xabier was pleased, and relieved, that Jama shared his views.

"I choose my battles Jaungo Garaia," he conceded. "Aberri has never been seen favorably by the other families, save the Cornejo. I am fully aware that this is the course to follow to strengthen the position of Aberri, and subsequently, the Empire."

"My family always revealed in villainy. We performed the acts that were necessary to ensure the survival of the kingdom. Only the Cornejo ever understood that. That is why my grandfather's betrayal was especially heinous and that is why it was dealt as it was."

"As such, I have something to ask something, Jaungo Garaia."

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 1:07 am 

Jama nodded slowly.

"Submit your thoughts unto my consideration then."

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 2:13 am 

"I humbly ask that you allow my family to recover that role and to perform it overseas."

"Aberri is not a rich land but it will be loyal," he continued. "The land is well defended by nature, mountains separate us from the rest of Aberri and the Ocean that bathes our shores is treacherous to those that are not of Abertzale stock. Furthermore Lekeitio is placed perfectly amidst several trunk lanes and could serve as a base of operations for the Empire."

"If Jaungo Gaiara deems necessary, the lands of Aberri would serve perfectly as the grounds for innovation. Oak and pine could fuel the advance of science and the weapons developed and crafted there would be out of reach for any enemy of the Empire whilst being easily transported by loyal abertzale."

"I ask once more that Jaungo Gaiara gives purpose to us in this global Empire to come and allows us, just as when Cornejo and Arrigorriagakoa walked hand by hand, to be the scourge of the Empire's enemies."

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 1:38 pm 

"My endorsement of your privateer ways depends on the level of your success. I will not tarnish the reputation of the Imperial Navy with them. Until other paths of authority are secured, you are the vassal of Lord Saionji and should seek his approval to such practices. The legitimacy of the Celestial Order comes before all else."

Jama paused.

"It would undoubtedly please me if Hawthorne was hunted down and Thrane humbled. As they are severely weakened by their continental intervention against the Yodotai Crusade, there is no better time to cripple their role in the maritime world for good. War drives progress, and sacking Morriston again would be a monument to how you honour the legacy of your forebears."

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 2:23 pm 

He maintained his head lowered.

"I understand Jaungo Garaia, Your word that is law," he ventured. "Though there is always the option of Musha Shugyo or even of becoming a direct vassal of You."

"I apologize on beforehand for overstepping but," he proceeded carefully "Jaungo Garaia has distinguished Himself in a greater way than most of Your predecessors. The Empire will expand and become a true World Power offuscating all other kingdoms in the process. As such it would not be farfetched to consider the birth of a new family with Your name."

"Being directly under Yourself would allow for the flexibility that managing an ever-growing empire would demand and smoothen the transition in the disparate locations. It would give those members an extra layer of authority that perhaps would not be available if they were just Doji, Miya or even Muhaki."

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 2:58 pm 

Jama did not respond outright, but looked at Suru, then nodded. His yojimbo produced a knife.

"One has already pleaded me once to accept him into my name. The cost I named is an unbreakable secret oath and unwavering loyalty. Even though the time to bring the family of my name into daylight has not yet come."

The knife was tossed before Zabieru.

"You are a whimsical man, Don Xavier, prone to defiance and betrayal, but you know that a pledge made in the ancient ways will bring an unspeakable fate onto the oathbreaker and his line. If you defy me, you and yours will never escape my wrath. But if you truly wish to submit your life and fate to my will, this is your sole chance, knowing that by touching this knife in my presence now you will give me the reason to immediately order your execution. This is an act of faith I require."

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 3:11 pm 

Xabier's heart skipped a beat when he saw the knife, though a waft of relief soon followed. He had seen Suru in action and if he was to be killed he'd never had seen it coming. He listened to the explanation, nodding slowly to show he understood.

Hesitation would be as good as signing a death sentence, so the man took the knife immediately and slashed his palm, his spilled blood validating the contract. "No one would doubt the Abertzale blood that flows in your veins Jaungo Garaia," he said as he clenched his fist. "My blood shows my commitment. Your enemies are mine. I shall be the scourge that flays your enemies."

His life and fate were now in the hands of Jama.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2017 5:07 pm 

[Zabieru can purchase Hatei Jama as 4/1 Ally with prior discounts.]

Suru had moved to the Abertzale's when Xavier had been reaching for the knife and while there would have been no sound, Xavier had known that had she faltered, his head would have rolled. But as the blood was drawn, there was a moment of solemn silence with Jama watching before he rose. He gripped the pirate's arm as he had before, and Zabieru could see as his fresh wound closed within seconds, leaving nothing but a pink scar. The blood on the knife remained.

"Rise as Jama Zabieru." The scion said. "And listen. After our meeting you'll be divested of you captaincy over my flagship and dismissed from the Explorers. I will see to it that your betrothal to Miya Eri is broken and no replacement is offered. The world will know you've disgraced yourself and has proven your dishonour so many times that I have finally lost patience. Henceforth, you'll be on your own in the Xantellado affair and other actions in the eastern waters, doing your utmost to regain my favour."

Jama's voice was scolding. He was close. Zabieru held the knife.

Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next