Login FAQ  
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:01 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Page 2 of 5 [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post subject: Re: [A3 Rooster 23] Becalmed
PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:58 pm 

A scrutinizing pause to check his words for double-entendres. Oh, you-- you really are a scoundrel!

Painting. That wasn't lewd. Right. Right?!

"I have a hard time imagening painting with a pistol," she chuckled quietly, recovering from the awkward moment of double-entendres. "Guess I am just a little wary of it, considering Ryuden-sama taught me almost all he knows of the powder. It makes you very respectful of what it is capable of."

Theme #5Profile

Honour: Exceptional • Status: 5.0 • Glory: 5.1 (Lady of the Golden Moon's Words)
Faith: Exceptional • Status: 4.0 • Reputation: 2.7 (Lady Uxue)
Languages: Rokugani, Merenaese
Has: Wakizashi, flute, notebook (new), small knife, satchel (contains medicine kit and paint supplies).

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:13 pm 

Kenzo smiled at that. "Yes. Although I suppose it's theoretically possible. Pack the pistol with paint... but it would not look anywhere nearly as lovely as when you use a brush, Utsu-sama." He half-bowed, proximity making any more than that awkward.

"But yes, wariness is good." Kenzo nodded. "That's why I would certainly do the loading. And why patience is so important. I'm glad you're already aware of the potential danger." He hesitated, considering her a moment. "I wasn't aware to what extend Ryuden-sama includes you in his studies."

Attended House of Dawning Light
Sturdy clothing, daisho, traveling pack, ink brush kit, fan. Pistols when not ridiculously inappropriate.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:24 pm 

"I have learned much from him; the gaijin powder, some basic understanding of metallurgy, medicinal arts, and his studies of nature. Though he his skill with craftsmanship is something I am far behind in... understandable, considering our different focus before our marriage, though he has remarked before that I am apt with picking up a basic understanding of many things."

Her expression was something between wistful and melancholic, her mind was wandering back years.

"It was only suitable I learn some of it to understand what he has been working with... it would be odd for me to be here in his place if I did not, hm?"

Theme #5Profile

Honour: Exceptional • Status: 5.0 • Glory: 5.1 (Lady of the Golden Moon's Words)
Has: Wakizashi, flute, notebook (new), small knife, satchel (contains medicine kit and paint supplies).

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:43 pm 

Kenzo listened, interested, watching carefully as her expression slowly changed. "I've actually noticed the same thing, Utsu-sama. You do have a very sharp mind. I'm sure you could pick up a deep understanding of many things."

He turned to face her more fully, leaning against the railing, a smile on his lips. "So, I am not at all surprised that you were able to learn enough to take his place here." His eyebrows went up inquisitively. "Were there any subjects you'd enjoy studying further?"

Sturdy clothing, daisho, traveling pack, ink brush kit, fan. Pistols when not ridiculously inappropriate.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:47 pm 

10 Koku says he's hoping for the answer to be 'Male Anatomy'...

Bellena continued to work on Kuuru's crazy compendium of knowledge.

Speaks: Merenaese, Mekhem, Yodotai, Rokugani, Thranish, Ujik-hai

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:05 pm 

Utsu gave him a raised eyebrow in reply first. A part of her suspected Kenzo was going slightly stir-crazy too with how much he seemed to be trying make everything seem to be very... bordering on almost inappropriate.

Or it was the sailor-life getting to him. She had noticed that life on a ship was nowhere near the propriety she was used to.

"... Hm," she looked ahead again, not allowing him the satisfaction of getting her riled up over seemingly harmless jokes. "Right now, my focus is to learn more of the language of Merenae. All things considered, it seems the most prudent thing to focus on, instead of other less pressing topics."

Theme #5Profile

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:16 pm 

Kenzo met her raised eyebrow with a curious look. Was it something he said? Quickly, he did his best to review his last few sentences.

When she looked back to the ocean, he followed her gaze. "Prudent, yes. I always have an admiration for practical studies. Knowledge making an improvement in our lives, and for our duties." He sighed, smiling. "And yet... I do have some fond memories of studying entirely impractical things. Knowledge for the sake of knowledge. Similar to how the body can feel refreshed after exercising."

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:40 pm 

She breathed a soft chuckle, deciding to let the worry go for now. "Hai, I suppose that is true. What sort of 'impractical things' would this be, neh? I wouldn't call your drawing impractical, seeing as you use it frequently in your travels."

Theme #5Profile

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:55 pm 

He looked back at Utsusemi, smiling. "Thank you. That actually means a great deal to me."

He sighed, looking back to the ocean. "But I wasn't thinking of that. I was thinking of some of the things I'd studied in college. I know details about animals and plants that I never expect to see. That almost no one from Rokugan has ever seen. I cannot think of this knowledge of ever being of any use to me." He chuckled, shaking his head. "And yet, I am pleased to know it, and wouldn't trade the time back."

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:16 am 

"Hm, but surely, such will come in handy where we are going now, so then it is not truly useless, no?" she retorted with a playful smile, fingers tapping against her chin.

While her hands were probably among the most delicate on the ship so far, they were not as unblemished and seemingly perfect as they had been before leaving Dragon's Guard City. Her evidence that she wasn't shying away from what needed to be done, or where an extra pair of hands were needed.

Theme #5Profile

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:29 am 

The little gesture drew Kenzo's eyes, first to her hands, then to her playful smile. The former impressed him; as he said, he admired function as much as form. The latter made his breath briefly catch. Only Utsusemi would see Kenzo's hand briefly tense, then flex, as he resisted the urge to take her hand.

He was silent a few moments, looking at her with a smile, before he spoke again. "I suppose you're right." He said cheerfully. "I never thought I'd see a giraffe, either." He chuckled, shaking his head. "Perhaps there is no useless knowledge."

He gave her a nod. "I gather you've been performing practical tasks as well, Utsu-sama?"

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:58 am 

"Only as useless as we make it to be, I suppose," she nodded, her smile remaining in place.

"Hm? Oh..." a bit sheepishly, she turned her hand and looked down at it. Thinking of how he had commented on how pretty they were before. "Yes, I help wherever I can... sometimes Cook needs an extra pair of hands, or whatever else that needs to be done." Utsu couldn't help another chuckle. "My mother would probably be quite shocked if she saw my hands like this."

Theme #5Profile

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:20 am 

"Hmmm." Kenzo gave a slow nod of agreement, his eyes interested.

"Perhaps she would." Kenzo said, his voice soft. "But I am not. I am impressed. As mentioned in that discussion we had the other day, the day after the garden party." It was the closest he could come at the moment to tell her he still found her hands beautiful.

With a wry smile, he turned over his own hands, showing them to her. They were also showing some wear and tear, including some red streaks along his palms. "Besides, I can hardly comment. Rope burn." He explained. "At least I suppose my mother wouldn't have been shocked."

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:28 am 

Looking at his hands, noting the rope-burn and other new scrapes that had not been there before, she huffed with some concern. "Of course she wouldn't be, as boys do seem to get themselves scraped up all the time," she said in a jesting tone. A rope-burn was hardly something to get carried away over, but she knew she would've quite worried had it been her own son.

"I trust your injury hasn't been giving you any trouble so far at least?"

Theme #5Profile

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:47 am 

A puff of laughter escaped Kenzo's lips at that reply. "Indeed we do, Utsu-sama." He gave another short bow. "And there are so many of us to look after, too."

He turned his hands over, back and forth, before leaning against the rail once more. "Not at all." He said. "They've mostly had the effect of teaching me to be more careful when climbing up to the topmast, which is a lesson well learned."

"The view is especially impressive up there." He said after a few moments. "I would love to see a painting of yours from there... unfortunate that it takes so much effort to climb. You said you'd managed something though, yes?"

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:56 am 

Utsusemi lifted her head, turning slightly to look up at the top of the mast. She had so far not had the need to travel that far up on the ship. She swallowed, not seeming entirely too keen on the idea of climbing all the way up there. "..." And as much as she wanted a private moment with Kenzo just to speak freely, she had already settled for having to wait for it until they reached land.

"Ah, yes, I've tried to spare some time for it when I can. I can happily show it to you later. But, more importantly, I have nearly finished something more important. A day or two, I should be finished with the embroidery I promised."

Theme #5Profile

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:06 am 

Kenzo, following her gaze, shook his head gently. "It's really not anything I'd recommend to any but the strongest climbers. I don't think I would chance it except at my most alert." He cast her a quick apologetic smile.

"Oh, you have?" Kenzo smiled warmly at her. "I should be very pleased to see it. Very pleased indeed." He pursed his lips a moment, his expression thoughtful. "I suppose... perhaps the next time the Captain invites us to dinner, I shall wear it. Do both of us proud."

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:02 am 

She was a little surprised by his suggestion, but nodded. "If you wish. I would have thought you'd think it too formal for such a meeting, but knowing you, you probably wish to continue to impress." Her smirk even had a little bit of his scoundrel-ish charm reflected back at him.

Utsu sighed wistfully, brushing a hand over her braided hair. "I do hope they have a good onsen or something of the kind where we're going... sea-faring is not as glamourous as some of these pillowbooks try to make it out to be." Another playful chuckle.

Theme #5Profile

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:27 am 

Ooh. That was a good one. And that smirk! Kenzo took a breath as he turned towards her, his eyes glinting. "Believe me, I do want to. I just thought it was rather a shame that there would be no better opportunity until landfall. Unless you think I should save it for a better occasion? I do trust your judgement, Utsu-sama." He gave her the full force of his own smirk, for the moment or so before he remembered Berena nearby.

Mentally cursing the gaijin woman, Kenzo sighed, still smiling. "Ah..." His eyes were warm as he traced the motion of her hand, brushing across her hair. He met her eyes, his lips twisting briefly. "I expect there will be. I'm sure you'll be right again within a day of landing."

He chuckled. "And no, they do not. They do mention watching the sunset." A quick glance. "They don't mention needing to lie on your side when you sleep, so there's enough space for the people next to you. Or the food. No offense to you or to Cook. There's only so much even a master could do."

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:38 am 

"I trust you to make the right choice, once it is returned to you, but I would be upset if my work was undone because you got careless while still onboard," she aptly responded to his charming smirk with a full effect of that motherly authority, the slight pout of her lips indicating how disappointed she would be in him if he ruined the embroidery somehow...

"Hah," she grinned, holding back a laugh. "I won't tell Cook of your criticism. He might make you regret it very much if he caught word of it. Me on the other hand, well, I have more realistic views on my own skill in the kitchen... I think I will stick to making tea, after this."

Theme #5Profile

Page 2 of 5 [ 82 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next