Login FAQ  
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:07 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: "Surprise" Inspection (morning, Rooster 20th)
PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:24 pm 

That morning the Captain was up and about, inspecting all aspects of the ship. Although it was officially a surprise inspection, Kitsu Keiji had no wish to cause his senior officers to lose face in front of their men. Word of the "surprise inspection" had been quietly leaked to the crew the night before, resulting in a flurry of nighttime activity to make sure things were ship-shape.

So far, everything seemed to meet with the Captain's approval.

--
Resist Seasickness 15 hit TN15

Post subject: Re: "Surprise" Inspection (morning, Rooster 20th)
PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:29 pm 

Kenzo always kept his gear and his area well-secured, so that was no problem.

Sometimes, he was in the habit of letting his appearance slide, just a little. A few too many days without shaving. Not properly straightening the lines in his kimono. But lately, it seemed that he was doing a much better job; his kimono properly arranged, and his face freshly shaved every morning. His hair was perhaps just a little disheveled, but not too bad, considering the days at sea.

He stood at rigid attention, waiting.

"Surprise" inspection seasick roll, VP spent: 4d10o10k4 21

Attended House of Dawning Light
Sturdy clothing, daisho, traveling pack, ink brush kit, fan. Pistols when not ridiculously inappropriate.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:56 pm 

The captain carefully inspected the clothing and weapons of Kenzo and the other crewmen in Kenzo's department, making sure that all was clean and well-cared for, before nodding gravely.

"All seems to be in order, Mirumoto-san," Keiji said approvingly. "Is there anything else here that you think I should be aware of?"

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:09 pm 

"No, Kitsu-kancho." Kenzo said, nodding firmly. "Everything's in order here." He bowed.

Before the captain could move on, though, Kenzo frowned. "Ah... Kitsu-kancho... might I ask you a question?" He bowed again.

Sturdy clothing, daisho, traveling pack, ink brush kit, fan. Pistols when not ridiculously inappropriate.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:54 pm 

The Captain had returned Kenzo's bow, and was about to move on, when the Dragon spoke again.

"Certainly, Mirumoto-san," Keiji said. "What is it?"

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:59 pm 

"Ah, captain..." Kenzo stepped a little closer, lowering his voice.

"Captain, I wanted to ask an experienced sailor..." He glanced around. "The ship seems to make an awful lot of noise. Creaking, groaning, that sort of thing. That doesn't indicate a problem, does it?" Kenzo asked. Indeed, any experienced sailor would know that was entirely normal... but Kenzo was not such.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:36 pm 

The Captain paused a moment to listen to the noises Kenzo was referring to. For a time he had forgotten that such sounds might seem alien to a less experienced sailor.

"There are noises and there are noises," Keiji said at last, rather cryptically. "A lute makes certain pleasant noises when a musician plays it; quite a different noise when smashed to the ground. A horse makes certain noises when it gallops; quite a different noise when it is whipped."

"These noises," Keiji said, gesturing at the creaking masts, then at the rolling waves. "They are like the music of a lute, or the sounds of a running horse. These noises are all right. If you hear wood splintering, or ropes snapping - these are cause for concern."

The captain tilted his head and gave Kenzo a small smile of encouragement. "Don't worry, it's a fine question. But after you've been at sea for a few weeks, I'm sure you'll be able to tell the good sounds from the bad sounds almost without effort."

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:51 pm 

Listening, Kenzo's expression gradually grew more relieved, finally finishing in a wry smile as Keiji finished. "I understand. Thank you, Captain." He bowed again.

He shook his head, still wryly. "I suppose that the first time you do anything it can be a little unsettling, isn't it? It certainly took me a while to become used to firing a pistol. And the noises that one can hear in the woods at night... similarly, it's difficult to tell the difference between good and bad sounds."

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:11 pm 

"Sometimes, in the woods, even the absence of sound can be a warning," Keiji commented. "Such observations can mean the difference between being surprised by an ambush, or reacting swiftly enough to turn the situation against the ambushers. So your attention to such details is commendable. Perception of such small things may be critically important once we get to our destination."

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:26 pm 

Kenzo's lips twitched. "Very true, Kitsu-kancho. A change in the behavior of animals can certainly indicate the presence of other people. Or perhaps a natural disaster; animals have been known to react to those as well."

He bowed. "Thank you for reassuring me, Captain. I'll do my best to keep an open mind. Once I learn more, it will be easier, I expect." He looked thoughtful. "I did make a study of physics when I attended college, although it wasn't my primary interest. I suppose... there must be a certain amount of push and pull for a vessel this size."

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:33 pm 

"You are a student of natural science, yes?" the Captain asked, though he knew the answer. "But the physics of a ship moving through water are not very much like the simple mechanics of a kemari ball. Do you know why that is?"

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:46 pm 

"I am, yes." Kenzo said, his expression already growing abstracted, as he considered the question.

"I suppose... hmmm." He rubbed his chin thoughtfully. "I suppose... the ball only has the downward force of any object, plus negligible wind resistance. The ship has to contend with the force of the water as well."

He gave Keiji a smile. "Are you speaking from study or experience? Or both?"

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:35 am 

"Only experience," Keiji admitted. "After sailing both small craft and large, it simply feels like ships follow different rules than things on land. You never see wagons with sails, or horses with oars, and yet sails and oars are the way ships must move. Why is that, one wonders? Perhaps Mirumoto-san would indulge my curiosity by considering why it should be this way, and reporting back in a few days with his thoughts on the matter."

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:46 am 

Kenzo chuckled softly. "Well, one might feel bad for the horse in that case, too." He said.

He bowed. "But certainly! I would be pleased to do so. I have some paper, I could even draw up a proper diagram." He bowed again. "In the meantime, Captain, I am thankful indeed for your experience."

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:54 pm 

Keiji nodded. "Very well, then, Mirumoto-san. Carry on."

The captain moved on to inspect the next compartment.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:01 am 

Ringo is standing at a makeshift workbench working on some sort of mechanical contraption. He doesn't seem to be bothered at all by the rocking of the boat or the noise. He is concentrating on his work that he initially doesn't notice Keiji's presence.

Sensing him he puts down what he is working on and turns around. Seeing Keiji he offers him a respectful bow. "Ohayo Kitsu-kancho [captain]. Have you had your rice today?"

/ Seasickness = 26. Pass.

Engineering. 1 CR = 28. Pass.

Rokugani, Merenae, Mekhem
Carries: Daisho, Finger of Jade, Heavy Armour, Ink Brush Kit, Ono, Pistol

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:27 pm 

"Ohayo, Chief Engineer," the captain replied. "I have indeed, thank you. What is it that you are working on there?" Keiji gestured at the mysterious mechanical contraption.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:12 am 

Ringo holds up what looks like a box for Keiji to see.

"I am studying and trying to build my own version of a gaijin device. Is Kitsu-kancho familiar with what a compass is? It is an instrument that tells us which direction North is. It is useful for navigating on the open ocean when there are no landmarks to guide us." He explains.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:36 pm 

Keiji nodded. "Indeed, I've worked with a compass before," he commented. "Very useful gadgets, I must say. The one I've seen was of a much simpler design, though. What distinguishes this one from others of its kind, Chief Engineer?"

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:53 am 

"Well this one is portable that a person may carry. Most other compasses I have heard of are built into the gaijin ships themselves and are a bit bigger than this. So we can use it outside of the ship as well." Ringo explains.

"Once I finish repairing this and getting it working that is."

Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next