Login FAQ  
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:04 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Page 1 of 3 [ 42 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post subject: A Visitor? (Inspection Day, Roost 26, LA)
PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:18 am 

Bellena woke from her rest that afternoon and took a bit of a walk around the deck to get some fresh air. It appeared that the Yamato-maru had pulled up close to them for the Inspection. Bellena had been sure everything was in order before taking her rest, and was sure that things would go fine with Keiji in control. She was going to be needed again that evening to lead the fleet out, and so she had taken her rest when she could get it.

After getting her legs under herself a bit she returned to her room and sat down at the small table with the translation works set out. She cracked her neck once and began to get to work. After a few minuets, however, she soon heard something of a stir outside... less of a stir, than a hush. She looked up from her work just as a gentle tap came on the door.

"Enter." She said in a clear voice.

Speaks: Merenaese, Mekhem, Yodotai, Rokugani, Thranish, Ujik-hai

DescriptionTheme

Post subject: Re: A Visitor? (Inspection Day, Roost 26, LA)
PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:22 am 

"Asahina Yajinden." The voice of the Quartermaster was calm. The man entered only after announcing himself, and bowed politely once behind the threshold. "Do you mind if I take a bit of your time, Muhaki-san?"

"The roots of evil don't rest in Jigoku, but within the hearts of men."

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:23 am 

She stood and bowed at his entrance. Then shaking her head politely she replied, "Of course not, please." She motioned for a small stool across the table.

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:28 am 

Yajinden moved to the stool, then produced a small package of senbei, offering them across the table. "Omiyage."

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:31 am 

She nodded her thanks, "I'm afraid I don't have much to provide in return. I don't have my normal stock on this boat. Your gift is most kind though."

She cleared space on the table as he had approached and sat down. Placing the senbei there she looked up and asked, "What can I do for you today Asahina-sama?"

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:44 am 

"I have come to listen to your concerns and observations regarding the current progress of the voyage." He paused. "As the navigator of the vanguard vessel, and as a seasoned ocean-goer."

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:47 am 

She tilted her head slightly, "Fortunately for us it's been a relatively easy crossing so far. The most inexperienced of the bunch had a bit of cabin fever during the slow days... but largely we are making decent time. I hope you are pleased with the course I've plotted."

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:43 am 

"I am. So far we've avoided more severe seasonal storms. But then, it's been only a week."

He paused, pulling lips together thoughtfully.

"Do the Rokugani treat you fairly? Is your position respected?"

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:32 pm 

She tilted her head a bit deeper the opposite direction, "Not entirely, no. But I suppose that was to be expected."

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:14 pm 

"What I have hoped is for the intolerance to abate over time, and this opportunity for you to prove yourself to the Rokugani a drop that would burrow in the rock."

Yajinden sighed.

"The Prince is quite the opposite of a xenophobe, hence the credit he has shown you. By naming a Tortoise of foreign origin the captain of his flagship he has already sent a strong signal. The Rokugani he has led on this expedition need time to adapt their ingrained perspectives to the extensive nature of his vision. As with the Colleges, he promotes the next generation of Rokugani leaders to be more open-minded about the world. What better way to do it than to show it to them? By undertaking this voyage they have already committed to what is unthinkable to the generation of their parents. There is very little chance that they return unchanged. Consider this when you ponder what Rokugan you would like it to emerge."

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:49 pm 

"Your lord is a savvy political orchestrator. I will give him credit for that... and his advisors." She said with a bow.

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:55 pm 

"He must be. Other people don't precipitate change, but walk in the footsteps of their predecessors. Which, arguably, had been the prime virtue in Rokugani vision of the world, to do exactly as the glorious divine ancestors did. But the things the Prince understands about the world is that the world will not respect that, our inward infatuation with the Golden Ages long past. This is the true lesson of the White Stag, and the very reason why a Quijano can call herself a Muhaki and have the best of both worlds."

Yajinden watched her carefully, bowing back.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:09 pm 

She merely looked back with the same expression as before, "Every culture struggles with finding the balance of wisdom from the past, and progress towards the future. Some do change too fast, and some too slow... and more than one country has sealed its fate by choosing the wrong path."

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:11 pm 

"And how about yours? Is it on the right path? As a hidalgo, you probably have an opinion."

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:26 pm 

She tilted her head, "The conditions of Merenae's politics are better left to those who are engaged in them on a daily basis. I think there is a lesson in them for your Prince though... Those who push to expand their influence too far are the ones who have their legs cut out from under them when it is most important."

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:19 pm 

"I beg to differ, Muhaki-san. The Merenaese have been actively involved in Rokugani politics for the last sixty years. The irony of divergence between your statement and your personal profile is probably not lost on you. I don't see why we should not award your country the same courtesy." Yajinden paused, raising a brow in slight amusement. "It doesn't have to be a bad thing, mind you. After all, the fates of both sides of the ocean are getting increasingly intertwined. Why shouldn't they be considered and managed in conjunction?"

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:47 pm 

"Your definition of 'active involvement' is apparently quite different from mine." She replied with a tilt of her head.

"You know very little of my actual 'condition' if you think this is some form of a political play." She said with noticeable spunk.

"And even if I were knowledgeable on the subject I would be extremely reluctant to share information with a man I feel unqualified to 'manage' anything in conjunction with the other leaders of the day. The main strength of your system is its tendency to delegate and develop skilled servants in specific roles. You already have exceptional vassals who are better equipped to navigating the trials of the future who lack the same type of paranoid ambition of a second son who wishes to overtake his brother by any means necessary. His public vision of 'progress' and 'exploration' doesn't resonate with those who exist outside of the tiny confines of a cloistered empire. You can't find what has already been found... you can't own that which is already owned... Not without violence." She replied.

She then tilted her head, "But then again... his and your private views on progress are something you were less than willing to divulge the last time we spoke."

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:56 pm 

"I see you love your preconceptions." Yajinden bent back. "If you want a contest who is more vitriolic, then I will pass. I can tolerate some outspokenness in the spirit of a good conversation, but this is beyond the pale. You know very little about Hantei-no-kimi, his plans and ambitions. And with this attitude of yours it is perhaps better to keep you in the dark. If you want the passage of time to resolve who has been the more ignorant one by this table, so be it." He began to rise.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:50 pm 

One eyebrow slanted as he stood, “You thought that was vitriol? That was fairly basic argumentation where I’m from. You asked me for my perspective and when it wasn’t completely laudatory you immediately seek to disengage. That is one option. One I don’t think you’ll be able to repeat when someone of greater power and influence makes the same argument against your voyage... if this really is a mission to talk with other cultures and peoples. I thought perhaps you were here to have a candid discussion.”

She looked at him, “Maybe take it as a test run for how you seek to explain yourself to the peoples you encounter?”

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:11 am 

"Where I come from serious accusations against royalty are punishable by death of whole families. But I know for a fact that offended Merenaese heirs apparent are not far behind in lack of understanding for lese majeste." Yajinden mused, turning toward the window. "Someone of greater influence? I am giving you consideration well above your station. I don't feel the expedition should extend this courtesy to every Merenaese noble who thinks that being somewhere earlier legitimises him or her enough to be inconsiderate." He shrugged. "Candour works both ways, and your defensiveness on Merenaese topics has not been a stellar example of accepting it." He then chuckled. "Explain myself? We're not coming on our knees, Muhaki-san. But maybe I should just follow your example, dress up and proclaim myself your distant cousin, say, Jacinto de Hasaxena."

Page 1 of 3 [ 42 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next