Login FAQ  
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:53 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Page 1 of 4 [ 66 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post subject: [Month 3, Dog 2, AFTERNOON] Yam Session
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:58 pm 

The work was repetitive. And, Kenzo expected, it would be feel nearly endless. The barrel of yams was a large one, and he'd only just begun. It would occupy a great deal of his time, and a decent amount of his mind, as he had to take care not to accidentally cut himself.

That was just fine with him.

Kenzo rubbed a hand across his face. Sleep had been difficult, difficult indeed. The dim light of the kitchen where he had been left to his own devices, at least as much as one ever was on a ship, also suited him just fine. Finishing one yam, Kenzo took another, beginning the methodical process again.

Attended House of Dawning Light
Sturdy clothing, daisho, traveling pack, ink brush kit, fan. Pistols when not ridiculously inappropriate.

Post subject: Re: [Month 3, Dog 2, AFTERNOON] Yam Session
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:11 pm 

Cook was feeling a little under the weather, Utsu had noticed, and told him promptly to take a short rest as she would see to that the kitchen-work would get done. Tying back her sleeves, a routine she was getting used to doing every day, she rinsed her hands of the dirt and grime that always seemed to show up over the course of a day.

"Let me help you out with that," she said as she picked up a peeling knife to join Kenzo in the tedious task of removing the skin of the yams.

Almost everyone seemed to be feeling or looking a little worse for wear today, even Utsusemi. Even the faintly applied makeup, something she had eschewed almost entirely during the voyage, didn't quite manage to hide her own weariness.

"... How are you feeling?" her voice dropped a little lower, turning the yam over in her hand until she found a good angle.

Theme #5Profile

Honour: Exceptional • Status: 5.0 • Glory: 5.1 (Lady of the Golden Moon's Words)
Faith: Exceptional • Status: 4.0 • Reputation: 2.7 (Lady Uxue)
Languages: Rokugani, Merenaese
Has: Wakizashi, flute, notebook (new), small knife, satchel (contains medicine kit and paint supplies).

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:32 pm 

Kenzo gave a start at the sound of her voice, something he never did. He tended to be fairly aware of his surroundings, and of her especially. After a moment, he gave her a faintly wan smile. "Utsu-sama." He said, his voice faint to match his expression. "It's good to see you."

His lips parted as he took in her appearance. His smile grew just a little at the sight of her hands. It faded just at quickly at seeing her weariness.

"Me?" Kenzo said. There was a long hesitation. "I'm okay." It was pretty clearly not true, both from the weariness on his face, and his tone. "How are you, Utsu-sama?" His peeling stopped for a moment as he looked at her, his eyes concerned.

Sturdy clothing, daisho, traveling pack, ink brush kit, fan. Pistols when not ridiculously inappropriate.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:37 pm 

Her gaze remained lowered for a while, eyes concealed by her thick lashes, before she looked up at him. "I'm fine. In truth... I have been better, but... it's fine. Maybe just the voyage is getting to me too, being this far away from home," she offered a weak smile, noting his concern. "Maybe a little homesick and worried..."

Theme #5Profile

Honour: Exceptional • Status: 5.0 • Glory: 5.1 (Lady of the Golden Moon's Words)
Has: Wakizashi, flute, notebook (new), small knife, satchel (contains medicine kit and paint supplies).

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:46 pm 

Kenzo waited, studying those lashes, until he met her eyes. "I see." He said, his voice soft. He picked up his yam again, his fingers deft as he began to peel it.

He leaned just a little closer, pitching his voice low. "In truth... I feel the same way. Not homesick, exactly, just..." He shook his head. "It's difficult to explain. Unsettled, I might say." He looked at her again, still concerned. "Is it... are you worried about the children? It must be hard being away from them for so long."

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:51 pm 

She nodded. It was more than just being away from them for so long. Fear, perhaps?

Her hands moved in a slow monotonous rythm, peeling away skin and little eyes that had begun to grow.

"... I've never been this far away from them before. I'm probably fretting over nothing," she tried to make light of the situation, but she just couldn't find the tone. "What unsettles you so, Kenzo-san?"

Theme #5Profile

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:12 pm 

Kenzo, seeing the faint sign of fear in her expression, grit his teeth. So like his nightmare... almost reflexively, he moved just a little closer.

"Utsu-sama..." Slowly, he shook his head, giving her a faint smile. "I... think you're a wonderful mother to your children. When I see you with them..." He trailed off, still smiling. "I don't think you have anything to worry about. They are well-cared for. But I'm not surprised that you're worried, not in the least."

Having given her reassurances, Kenzo frowned, silent for a moment except for the sound of his knife working. "I suppose... as you said, perhaps the voyage is getting to me. And last night, I slept rather poorly." He placed a finished yam to the side, reaching into the barrel to grab another. His lips twisted. "A grown man, a man of reason besides, being unsettled by a dream may be unusual. Nevertheless..." He spread his hands, still holding knife and yam.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:27 pm 

The movement of the knife stopped as he assured her, and she nodded slowly. "... Yes, you're right," she said weakly, but clearly was pulling herself together. "I'm sorry... I didn't mean to make you worry. We all have enough on our minds these days."

The sound of their knives working filled the room for a while. "... A dream?" she paused her knife as her eyes widened. "Like, a nightmare, you mean?"

Theme #5Profile

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:50 pm 

Kenzo gave her a warm smile. "No, don't apologize. If I could help, even a little, I'm glad." He looked down, focusing for a few moments on his peeling. "Very glad, indeed."

He glanced up at her question, his knifework pausing as well. "I would very much call it such. I don't usually remember my dreams at all. And those few I do are passing fragments. This one, this nightmare... I find it very much lingers with me." He glanced at her again, his eyes strangely intent.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:01 am 

Her eyes met his, until she couldn't bear it and looked down again.

A different specimen, it lingered just on the surface of her thoughts, no. He never said that. Sanjuro did. Not Ryuden.

"I had a dream too," she confessed hesitantly. "... nightmare. It's not real, but upsetting nonetheless."

Theme #5Profile

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:14 am 

Kenzo stopped again, setting the knife aside. "Did you, now?" He asked, his voice very quiet indeed. He studied her, his eyes uneasy. His hand twitched, as it had done before, the urge to comfort her almost too strong to resist. He let it rest on the cutting board.

"Yes." He sighed. "I know what I experienced was not real, had nothing to do with reality. But..." He sighed. "I cannot help but be worried by the things I saw."

He offered her a wan smile. "Is it... do you think it would be something it would help to share?" He offered.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:55 am 

"M-maybe, I..." the voice trembled slightly as the hands continued to work, though at a slower pace.

Until coming to a stop as she sniffed, holding back a tear. Normally she felt a lot more composed, but the wear of travel and the nightmare had pushed her.

"... I know it's not real, but it was so horrible..." Utsu's voice was barely more than a whisper. "I saw that he hurt them... he never has, but... seeing it in the nightmare it felt too real."

Theme #5Profile

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:23 am 

Kenzo's attention was arrested by the tremble in Utsusemi's voice. He watched, his own eyes wide, as tears welled up in hers. As she sniffed, barely holding it back, her normally flawless composure suddenly fraying.

It had been a long voyage. There was only so much Kenzo could take.

His knife clattered the the counter as he reached out, taking her hand in his. He squeezed it tightly, almost desperate for the sensation of mutual reassurance, even as her turned to fully face her. "It's okay. It wasn't real. It wasn't real." He whispered. "It was just a nightmare."

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:40 am 

How much she wanted to hold him tightly as he reassured. To tell him more... the things she didn't dare to risk others hear.

All she could do now was find solace in the comfort of his hands and presence, and the words that reminded her that it wasn't real.

"I know... it can't be real..." she whispered, pushing back the need to cry. Her own hands squeezed his in return, as if were a lifeline. "... your dream wasn't real either. Just... a cruel dream, yes?" She looked up at him, offering him to lighten his burden as she had, while they still har this brief moment.

Theme #5Profile

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:27 am 

Kenzo held tightly to her hands, linked to his own. The desire to kiss her tears away was strong, very strong. It was only with the greatest effort that he resisted.

"Yes." He said softly, his voice rough. "It... it could not have been real." His grip loosened, just a little, his fingers rubbing against hers. "I dreamed of a library, or a tomb, or both. That my studies and my future were both empty." He met her eyes, falling silent for a moment, considering. "And that you were... I'm not sure, exactly."

He shook his head. "It makes no sense that all these things be real." His lips parted, but then pressed together, and he shook his head again, his jaw clenching.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:38 am 

Utsu steadied her breath, reminding herself to be strong for Kenzo's sake.

"It is just a cruel lie," she tried to reassure him, putting on a brave smile. "Your future, your studies... they're important and full of possibilities."

"And I am here. Not in a tomb, neh?" Her thumb gently carressed the back of his hand.

Theme #5Profile

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:50 am 

Kenzo took a deep breath. "Yes. I know." He smiled as her thumb rubbed against his hand. "And yes, you are."

Yet for a moment, his eyes still seemed shadowed as he looked at her. Far, far too late to save her. The thought had been so clear.

But he'd sought to reassure her, not the other way around. Kenzo steadied himself giving her a smile, his fingers tightening around hers. "And your children are fine." He said. "I've known Agasha-sama to be," He hesitated, "-cold, but I've never seen him show them any cruelty. It's not possible." He nodded firmly.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:13 am 

She nodded, a little hesitant. "... You're right, yes. Ryuden-sama wouldn't hurt them." He had been proud when Yoshi was born, right? It had seemed that way...

Utsu breathed a weak chuckle. "Here we are, like frightened children over some bad dreams... what would people think?" Her eyes sought his, needing that little extra comfort of his presence. It was so simple with Kenzo, she felt. No conflicting emotions, no concerns. He was just... warm and safe.

"I look forward to when we can talk more, about this and other things, when we reach our destination."

Theme #5Profile

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:27 am 

"Hmmm." Kenzo chuckled, smiling. The smile grew as her eyes found his. For a few moments, he allowed himself to become lost in a study of them. Just as he had that other day, when they'd been together.

"Yes." He agreed, nodding. "I look forward to that too, Utsu-sama." Very, very much.

He took a deep breath. With obvious reluctance, he released her hands, letting them linger together as long as possible. Picking up his knife once again, he chuckled. "It is rather funny, I suppose. Both of us having a nightmare on the same night. Ryuden-sama was in my dream as well, in fact." He shook his head, as he picked up another yam.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:36 am 

Her reluctance was as great as his, but she knew it had to be done, as she released her hold on him as well. Unspoken words of gratitude at least could be seen in her eyes. Sometimes, all one needed was just to be reminded of how such horrors were not real by someone comforting.

"... Should I be concerned that you are having dreams about my husband?" Utsu managed to find something to make a joke of. Laughing and humour was sometimes the best way to fight fear, after all.

Theme #5Profile

Page 1 of 4 [ 66 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next