Login FAQ  
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:11 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Page 3 of 4 [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post subject: Re: [Month 3, Dog 2, AFTERNOON] Yam Session
PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:47 am 

Kenzo's smile grew. "I'm glad." He said. His cheeks were just a little pink, the exhilaration of the kiss fading slowly. He'd caught her speculative look, and was uncertain what it meant, but the sight of her smile pushed that thought away.

His eyebrows went up a little at the question. "Yes, in fact. It wasn't very popular, but that was part of the point, I'm sure. For the obvious, it helps to train both hands to work in unison." He demonstrated, turning the yam at the same time as he worked the knife, the process going rapidly.

He paused for a moment. "Less obviously... I quickly noticed how many tasks my sensei gave us that had an element of repetition. I think the idea was to train the mind, as well. Similar as to how monks use their prayer beads to help them enter a meditative state, or so I understand it."

The knife began to move again. Kenzo shot Utsusemi a quick glace. "The small cut notwithstanding, you've become rather good at this yourself. And I can't imagine you did this sort of thing in your Doji schooling."

Attended House of Dawning Light
Sturdy clothing, daisho, traveling pack, ink brush kit, fan. Pistols when not ridiculously inappropriate.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:57 am 

"Sounds awfully boring," she chuckled, her mood improved by the brief moment of tenderness they had shared, and she watched Kenzo demonstrate the 'deadly Niten' with a yam and a knife.

The thought of doing this sort of work in the halls of the Doji made her laugh. "Oh, no, we never did chores like these. It probably sounds weird, since I know how different life is in with the Crane compared to the Dragon, but for a lack of a better way to say it, most Crane consider themselves too good for such tasks. Not that we didn't have our boring lessons though, like copying pages upon pages of literary works, like the collected poetry of Hantei Genji and his beloved Oborizukiyo."

The wash-cloth moved deftly over the knife.

"I guess it just falls naturally to me to keep my hands busy somehow. Some of it my birth-family would disapprove of in various degrees," she couldn't help herself from a brief grin. "Even needlework is considered below a lady of the Doji... and there's a silly superstition around it too, if you would believe it."

Theme #5Profile

Honour: Exceptional • Status: 5.0 • Glory: 5.1 (Lady of the Golden Moon's Words)
Faith: Exceptional • Status: 4.0 • Reputation: 2.7 (Lady Uxue)
Languages: Rokugani, Merenaese
Has: Wakizashi, flute, notebook (new), small knife, satchel (contains medicine kit and paint supplies).

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:28 am 

"Oh, yes." Kenzo readily agreed. "But it worked. Eventually, you become very good at freeing the mind for other things. I think all the time I spent alone in my youth gave me a bit of an edge, there."

He listened, his expression interested, as she spoke of her life in the Crane. "That is different." He murmured. "Poetry versus yams." He grinned. "But as for keeping your hands busy, well, I hope I've made it clear that I actually find that rather... appealing, actually."

"Oh?" He paused, giving her his full attention, his look of interest sharpening. "I suppose you'll have to try me." He said, smiling.

Sturdy clothing, daisho, traveling pack, ink brush kit, fan. Pistols when not ridiculously inappropriate.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:37 am 

His comment about her hands earned him a playful smirk.

Her lips pursed slightly. The irony of the particular subject wasn't lost on her. "Hm, well... it is believed that a woman who pricks her needle while doing needlework is unfaithful to her husband. Probably because they think 'oh she is thinking of her lover, so she was distracted', or something. So most Crane men take great pride in being able to provide enough for their family that the wife does not need to do such tasks."

Of course, like most people working with a needle, she had pricked herself a few times. And she still found the whole thing rather silly.

"I don't care much for it, to be honest. It just sounds like something silly that men made up," Utsu chuckled warmly as her voice turned playful. "Personally, I find embroidering to be a bit like meditation... a kind of meditation that involves stabbing something with a sharp object repeatedly."

Theme #5Profile

Honour: Exceptional • Status: 5.0 • Glory: 5.1 (Lady of the Golden Moon's Words)
Has: Wakizashi, flute, notebook (new), small knife, satchel (contains medicine kit and paint supplies).

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:30 am 

"Ah... really?" His smile held, but his forehead creased for just a moment. In the end, though, he couldn't hold any regrets about what he and Utsusemi were doing. The crease vanished.

He laughed softly. "I think you may be right, Utsu-sama. It doesn't quite hold together logically. Is the pricking supposed to be caused, or caused by, the infidelity? And do rich spouses with nothing to do not ever go astray?" He shook his head. "I think your assessment is much more correct."

"Ooh." He said, grinning at her, his tone matching hers. "I like that. Perhaps I should try embroidery. Or perhaps I should have offered to teach you how to use a sword instead of fire a pistol. You'd have made a good Mirumoto with that attitude."

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:41 pm 

Utsu held no regrets over what she and Kenzo had. Her relationship with her husband was already feeling estranged enough, and it had already a lot of muddied waters in the regards of faithfulness. For her, that Kenzo seemed to care for her mattered more than the physical intimacy they had shared one time, even if she yearned for it again.

"A Mirumoto?" she suppressed a laugh, looking down at the knife that had been cleaned sufficiently. "Would have been unlikely, seeing as much of our family is as much Kakita as it is Doji - both my parents have a lot of Kakita on their sides of the family, and father is an exceptional talented student of Kakita's technique. He would never have agreed to a match with the Mirumoto for his children."

Theme #5Profile

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:23 pm 

"Ah." There was a slight hesitation, and then Kenzo gave her a playful smirk. "Really, I should have been able to tell from your yam peeling technique, just as you can see niten in mine. One sword, one strike." Holding his yam firmly with one hand, he peeled off a long, long strip of the yam skin in one go, twisting his wrists around to make it longer. He grimaced as the knife finally slipped off, the long curly strip falling to the counter. "Ah, well." He said, chuckling. "I am Mirumoto trained, after all."

He was silent for a few moments, peeling with the more standard technique. He glanced at her again, his expression grown just a touch wistful. "Would you tell me of your family again? I mean, I know you have, many times. It's just..." He shrugged. "I enjoy hearing it." Kenzo, who'd grown up with just his mother, had always seemed fascinated by Utsusemi's siblings.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:50 pm 

On the other side, Utsusemi felt sad for Kenzo to have grown up as an only-child, and with only his mother for company most of the time.

"Hmm..." she picked up a new yam, considering the one strike-principle with the knife. The thinking made her imagine her father or oldest brother do the fast-draw of the Kakita on a yam to peel its skin, and it made her laugh softly.

"Ah, let's see... I don't think you and my oldest brother would get along. Kyuzo is very much a traditionalist, in line with the current Champion of the Crane, and staunchly believes that Kakita's technique is superior to anything else, Mirumoto and gaijin-technology alike." She shook her head with some dismay. "Too much being around like-minded people, I suspect. Hayaku Mura isn't the most important location in Crane lands, but it has a good spot by the sea and not too far from trade-routes, so there are enough people who want to gain his favour to increase their own standing."

"Personally, I think Hotaru should just hit him really hard over the head to make him come to his senses and not just be such a stuck-up brat like he has always been, being the eldest son and heir. Not that she didn't do that when we were younger, mind you," Utsusemi chuckled. "Even if he was much older and bigger than her."

Theme #5Profile

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 5:40 pm 

Kenzo looked as interested as he always did when hearing Utsusemi talk about her family, a strangely curious smile on his lips. He chuckled, shaking his head. "No, I certainly think your older brother and I wouldn't get along. Too wide a gulf to cross. And I have the recent experience with Akodo Meikuko-sama to show me how a traditionalist might react to my suggestions." He couldn't help but give Utsusemi a quick smile, though; the memories of that day were quite good ones, after all. "And, despite what I may have heard, I don't think she hit me the hardest because she was so charmed."

The bit about Hotaru made him laugh. "Well, perhaps she just hasn't done it recently enough. I like her, or rather, what you've told me about her. She sounds like she has a lot of spirit."

He slowed for a moment, then shook his head with a chuckle. "You know... I never told you before." He began, giving her a wry smile. "But for a little while, I was very curious as to how she and I would get along. Very curious. Now..." He shrugged. "I should still like to meet her, someday. I've heard about your family so many times, I almost feel as though I know them already."

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 5:50 pm 

"Hotaru really is a delight," she chuckled fondly. "Shame I could not attend her wedding... but my condition just didn't allow for it at the time. And with the recent conflicts between the Crane and Lion, travelling to visit has not been an option either, sadly."

A part of her had hoped things would have been settled enough so that the children could have stayed with her family while she was gone, but Ryuden would not have it while tensions were still high, and she didn't wish to risk her children either.

"I think the two of you would have gotten along very well. She is perhaps the least Doji-like of all of us, probably because of her time spent with the Daidoji; she is certainly the fiercest of us all. Marrying into the Daidoji must have been good for her, to be with more like-minded people."

Putting away the peeled yam, she picked up the next. "Oh, that reminds me. You never told me how your meeting with the Matchmaker went."

Theme #5Profile

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:12 pm 

"Hmmm." Kenzo murmured fondly. "She sounds delightful." He paused a moment, his expression going briefly distant. "I... think you would have liked my mother, had you ever had the chance to meet her. And she would have liked you. She was... very kind." Another few moments, and he looked back to his yam, resuming his peeling.

"No?" Kenzo said, glancing quickly at Utsusemi. "Well... hmmm. I'll admit, I was a little surprised by what happened, myself." He pursed his lips thoughtfully, his peeling going slower. "It began rather well. I managed to compose my thoughts, and hold up my end of the conversation. I even managed to avoid gushing about my work too much. I even handled the tea well, but of course, I'd had practice that day." Despite the joke, his expression remained thoughtful. "I was apprehensive, but I was prepared to do my duty." Perhaps the faintest defensive note could be heard in his voice.

"Then, I said much the same to her as I'd said to you. That I was worried that I was not sufficiently established in my career, and a marriage made now would not be to my advantage. Somewhat to my surprise, she agreed." His eyes flickered up, gauging Utsusemi's reaction.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:23 pm 

She listened, feeling a little proud of him to have handled himself well with Odorihime. The woman had that fearsome Otomo attitude that worked well for a nakodo, after all. "... I see," she said with a thoughtful nod, somewhat surprised that Odorihime had agreed. If you married, we might not see eachother again for a long time. The selfish thought was quelled, reasoning with herself that Kenzo was probably right if the matchmaker had agreed.

"Well, it gives you a bit more freedom than others then, I suppose." And I'd feel bad if I caused any more conflict of loyalties.

The subject seemed to bother her somewhat, so she turned back to the topic of their families. "I wish I could have met her. You always seem happy when you speak of her... I wouldn't mind hearing more about her."

Theme #5Profile

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:57 pm 

A moment of hesitation, and then he nodded. "Yes." He said, simply. He gave a minute sigh of relief, smiling at Utsusemi. In truth, he'd been wondering what she would think about the situation. That she didn't seem displeased was good, especially as it allowed him to indulge in some more selfish thoughts. If I'm unmarried,
perhaps I'll have more opportunity to see you.

Kenzo sighed, not unhappily. He set down his knife as he finished yet another yam. "Yes. I suppose I didn't talk about her too much when we first met." That had been shortly after she'd died. "And after that, only from time to time. Hmm." He fell silent for a few moments.

When he began, he spoke slowly, his gaze distant as his memory reached back through time. "She was very busy, managing her duties and managing the household at the same time; there was no one to support her. I spent a great deal of time alone, exploring." His lips twisted into a sad smile, and he shook his head. "I probably made her mad with worry, sometimes." Another few moments passed.

The smile faded, his expression turning thoughtful. "But no matter how busy she became, she always took at least a little bit of time every day, just for me. We would walk together, perhaps, and I would show her all the things I'd found that day. And she would explain them to me. She had an endless capacity for answering questions. Which was good, because you probably won't be surprised to hear that I had a lot of them." He laughed, very softly, his eyes strangely bright. "That's how I remember her, anyway. It's been so long..."

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:22 pm 

She listened attentively, the cutting of the knife slowing down considerably as she gave him more of her attention. How different their lives seemed to have been, something she had reflected on with her marriage into the Agasha; as a child of a governor, Utsusemi and her siblings had never wanted for anything, and their parents had lived a life of stability, allowing them to have many children who almost all had grown up to become adults.

"It must have been lonely," she remarked with a hint of sadness, "being only the two of you. But it sounds like you must have been her joy in those years."

Theme #5Profile

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:41 pm 

"I certainly hope so." Kenzo said, sighing. "She seemed happy, I think, most of the time I can remember. Perhaps tired... in later years, it's hard to know if that was because of how busy she was, or..." He shook his head, his words stopping. The signs of her illness had come early, but were subtle. Once it began to really trouble her, the end was swift.

He looked up, some of his sadness fading as he spotted hers. "But I don't think it was so lonely, really. I've often wondered what it would have been like, having a bigger family, but, well, this way I didn't have to share the little time she had."

He shrugged, his lips quirking into a charming smile. "Besides, I've always been perfectly content on my own. Not to say that I don't enjoy company. Although... perhaps not this much." He gestured around vaguely, indicating the ship, tight confines and all.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:59 pm 

Maybe they could have kept eachother company in such a difficult time, she thought if Kenzo had had any siblings, but she didn't want to say it when she noticed how sad it seemed to make him. He was always so cheerful and enthusiastic.

"Ah, yes..." she smiled a little too as she looked at him. "It is a little cramped and crowded."

"But, you know," her eyes lowered a little shyly, returning to the yam that needed peeling. "You're always welcome in our home, if you feel lonely. Honestly, you're almost like an uncle for the children; they're always excited whenever you've visited."

Theme #5Profile

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:26 pm 

Kenzo looked up, even as Utsusemi lowered her eyes. Slowly a pleased flush spread across his features. "Thank you, Utsu-sama." He said softly, clearly touched. "That means a great deal to me." His lips curled up just a little bit at the corners. "I hope that I will have the opportunity to visit you often. My duties have some flexibility. I think it will be quite possible."

The prospect of seeing Utsusemi more often was certainly a pleasant thought, but it wasn't the only reason Kenzo was pleased. "And I am very fond of your children, too. An uncle, what a thought!" He grinned, his eyebrows going up. "I don't have any nephews or nieces to compare. I suppose your children have Agasha Sanjuro-sama. Hmmm. I rather like the idea."

Relaxed now, Kenzo was peeling steadily. "I'll make certain to find some animals to draw for them on this voyage. I expect they'll really enjoy that. You can probably find some nice things for them, too." The smile he gave her was cheerful, reassuring, perhaps even optimistic.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:29 pm 

"I did finish two pieces from our little field trip the other day, actually," she said as her tone slipped back into the pleasant chit-chat that made work easier. "I could show you later, if you like. But you're probably right I should find something truly amazing on the trip to show them."

She sighed a little wistfully. "They do have Sanjuro, but... well, he doesn't visit really after he moved to Dragon's Guard City. Though I guess it was for the better; Ryuden-sama tends to overshadow his brother a little, and it seems like he has had more room to grown when he has been on his own. Maybe something you could relate to?"

Theme #5Profile

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:39 pm 

"Oh really?" Kenzo said brightly. "Yes, I'd love to see them. The leaves and the woodpecker, yes? I've done one of the woodpecker, myself. We'll have to compare methods." He nodded. "But something from a far off land... that could be the sort of thing that really captures the imagination. I don't know." His lips twisted. "I admit, when I was five, I probably would have been just as excited by an exceptionally large goat as something from far far away."

Kenzo paused again, looking at Utsusemi, his lips pursed thoughtfully. "Hmmm. I suppose I do understand at least part of it. Not all of it; I've never had an older brother, and I haven't been too close with my peers. I am my only point of reference." A small sigh, a slight smile. "But... speaking as someone who very much enjoys finding his own way, yes. Perhaps he has found his way here, or rather in Dragon's Guard, so to speak."

He shrugged. "He did seem content to me. But then, I hardly know the man. As you say, he did not often visit your household."

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:09 pm 

"We should," her smile grew a little brighter too. "I look forward to seeing how you painted the woodpecker." She imagined it probably captured more of its appearance and detail compared to hers, as she had mostly tried to reflect on the emotions she had felt as she saw the bird take flight.

If Sanjuro was content... Utsusemi wasn't able to tell. It was such a fleeting thing, one she had rarely enjoyed herself, and rarely saw in others - and even when she did, she suspected it was all part of the face that must be maintained. I just hope he understands he is always welcome too... to see the children...

"Maybe I worry too much for him?" she let out a soft sigh. "I know what it can feel like to feel to be in someone's shadow, but they... we're still family, neh? It's always been stressed to me, growing up, that family is important. So I feel I need to look after him."

Theme #5Profile

Page 3 of 4 [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next