Login FAQ  
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:52 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Page 2 of 3 [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post subject: Re: A Visitor? (Inspection Day, Roost 26, LA)
PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 5:08 am 

"You may not be on your knees now... but there are far more impressive forces on the sea than this little convoy you have." She replied as she leaned back in her chair.

"This is a First Officer's Quarters, not a court room. The conversation here has different parameters of acceptability. You don't have to mention the penalties for them to be understood. You are constantly draped in an aura of coercive mystique; it's why the boat quiets when you step foot on it. But to me... in this room the truth is all that is pertinent. Understanding things as they truly are is more crucial than a threat on my life. Killing me reveals the truth... Circumlocution begets ambiguity, which begets misunderstanding, which begets disaster. If candor is what you want, it is what I have given you in spades. If consideration is what you'd like, look to the way I have conducted myself on this voyage despite my reservations... You want me to respect your Prince more? Then there has to be some sort of effort to provide a convincing argument on why he's not what I described him to be; because there's a bevy of evidence that suggests this is for his own ambitions and very little else." She said as she tilted her head the other way.

"You're a smart man. Smart enough to have the impulse to try and lecture me on Merenaese culture. Surely, conceptually, you can see how those unfriendly to your master would think negatively of him? Is it not worth it to his chief supporter to attempt to clear the air and share the truth if it absolves him of these foolish preconceptions?"

Speaks: Merenaese, Mekhem, Yodotai, Rokugani, Thranish, Ujik-hai

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:36 pm 

"Sure there are. I am cognizant of that fact. This voyage is a calculated risk Hantei-no-kimi has decided to take personally."

Yajinden chuckled.

"So, by your imagination, when I step into this cabin I am entering another realm where you have a privilege to extract truth that will serve your interests from me? Forgive me, but I find this notion quite ludicrous. We, the Rokugani, are not the naive ones, Muhaki-san. Information is a powerful thing, and strategic thinking is not something we cannot do. Were I to divulge too much to you, it could be turned against the Prince and the purpose of this expedition."

He paused, pondering.

"Let me ask you this: do you see the contradiction between your claim that we ride on nefarious intentions and your claim about the mediocrity of the disposable power this fleet represents? How can Prince Jama be a threat and not a threat at the same time? And if you award him, or me, the intelligence to see past this contradiction, do you think our goals are not calibrated in a way that is based on reasonable assessments of what we can and cannot do?"

He rested fingers on the table.

"We'll need allies who are local stakeholders, and we'll find them. There lies your opportunity."

"The roots of evil don't rest in Jigoku, but within the hearts of men."

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:01 pm 

"It's not a contradiction, because it's not a simple binary. You have the ability to enforce your will on certain things, and are subject to others in different circumstances. And where you sit on that scale of relative power doesn't bear any direct connection to your intentions. Unless your estimates are from the current Tortoise leadership, which perhaps is true knowing Zazu's demeanor... but if they are not, then they are entirely based off of dated or highly inaccurate information. But whatever your source of intel, the truth is that wherever a fleet of this size goes, it stirs up complications and ultimately it makes 'local stakeholders' bear the burden; because in your system the responsibility for problems never finds its way to the origin at the top." She replied.

"Which brings us back to this same point... In order to make 'local stakeholders' invested in this venture of yours, it will require convincing them that this is truly and 'opportunity' and not another noose around their neck. You need people like me to increase the levels of access and information that your fleet will possess more than we need you. And I'll reiterate it again... to get the type of access, respect, or obedience you require, you will need to make your vision clear. This world exists under a different paradigm than you are used to... the same types of rhetoric don't appeal to an island of cynics who recently have been engaged in a contentious battle with your Lord for holdings on the mainland. Who bears the responsibility of that contention is a secondary point at this moment... the reality is that no one trusts you and they feel justified in that belief. In some ways the island is not too different from Rokugan though. Sometimes risks must be taken, you've got to let your guard down a bit in order to get something in return. It's possible that your enemies will want to take what you give them and then stab you in the back. But if your skills of persuasion are sufficient, you can help reduce that risk significantly."

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:31 pm 

Yajinden nodded slowly.

"Except it's not just the Tortoise or their Merenaese associates who we can count among the stakeholders.'

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:45 pm 

"If you wish to cut yourself out of that portion of the market... then I guess you are free to do so. It is the most substantial portion by far..." She said with a shrug.

"And to be honest... any endeavor that means to establish a base out here in this part of the world should attempt in some way to use the inroads laid by the members of the Empire who have been here before. No reason to reinvent the wheel."

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:04 pm 

"I agree. As long as the wheel does not turn into a square. Then the wheel has to be reinvented whether we like the waste of time and effort or not." He sighed. "It is good that you mention that the Tortoise owe the Empire some loyalty. They exist because the Empress willed it, and their legitimacy and prosperity is owed to the Imperial Line. This is probably easy to forget by someone who got the name of Hantei Muhaki as a curious appendage. The Tortoise are used to operating with significant independence, but it is an awarded privilege, not their inalienable right. They should serve at the pleasure of the Throne."

He looked at her with his calm eyes.

"What we are discussing here is the extent to which this privilege will be left intact. The Prince has no intention to compromise the Tortoise or impinge on their well-earned foreign reach as long as they acknowledge their position as the servants of the Empire. Like with Muhaki Zabieru, further privileges may follow if this basic prerequisite is met. The Prince is amenable to showing understanding to the specificity of local conditions."

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:41 pm 

"Despite what you may think... we have always served the Throne. Getting us to put our weight behind a man vying for that throne? And one that who has already deliberately and extensively worked to counter our ability to do our Imperially appointed duties? That's a different matter. I'm sorry... but recent events make any promises based on devotion ring horribly untrue... It sounds like ambitious faction-building that resonates with particularly sordid and greedy men like Muhaki Zabieru. You couldn't probably have found a less honorable and despicable captain to run your flagship... To everyone out here that choice sends a message of your intent which I'm not sure you fully understood when making it. Not one of acceptance of the 'Tortoise'... but acceptance of the worst kind of Tortoise; a morally shallow and repugnant opportunist." She said with a slight shake of her head.

"The question of devoting ourselves to your lord is one with implications that puts any of his supporters in considerable risk. If what you say is true, then in part you are out here to crack the whip in a sense. You are essentially telling us that we can put ourselves under Jama's boots and help you overthrow the elder brother, 'or else'... If that isn't evidence of the disrespect you have for the Throne and for our duties to it, then I don't know what is. Surely you intend for something different?" She tilted her head quizically.

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 12:25 am 

"You probably have to elaborate on Tortoise factions and how to make distinctions between good and bad Tortoise for me to understand why men like Zabieru should not be rewarded for doing their job. He has shown good leadership so far. Are you sure those are not some domestic Merenaese matters that inform your judgement?"

Yajinden mused.

"But in the end it all seems to come down to your obsession with imagining the Prince as the evil brother in an ugly succession strife. I am not even particularly interested where this is coming from, for it very much looks like a rather contrived theory your argument would not hold without. I think your knowledge of the Imperial Families is not nearly as extensive as it would require to make claims of this magnitude without committing great slander. But, all other things notwithstanding, it is hard to win succession while being abroad. And yet, he has sailed away. It may well be that once he returns, his elder brother will have already ascended."

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:03 am 

"It is no domestic issue I assure you... I know of him better than you. The disloyal are usually the first to volunteer. They maintain the appearance of pious obedience... until they don't. People who bend the knee quickly are rarely the types of people you can trust in a pinch." She replied.

"And I never said 'evil'... he's ambitious. There is no good and bad guy in this issue of the brothers. Your very own Miya Edogawa already has alluded to the fact people of your faction think that the future depends on who ascends to the throne... and if Jama's brother may be the one doing the ascending soon that would compel a certain kind of man to do risky things that they think will play in their favor. Save the 'future' by perhaps extending themselves out to look for allies and additional sources of power..." She said.

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:17 am 

"Well, I'd argue that it's a feature of a good ruler not to cherry-pick subjects but make the best of who they are without much discrimination." Yajinden shrugged. "If Hantei Hohiro-no-kimi ascends, he will undo the work of three Emperors and cast the Empire back into backwardness and close it to the world. He has already pledged to dismantle the Colleges. Prince Jama's greatest ambition is to prevent this from happening."

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:20 am 

She nodded, "And how does he intend to do this? Especially if his brother will be the Emperor soon?"

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:23 am 

"To foster effective disagreement of the majority of relevant parties to the course of action that would undo six decades of their conscientious work to stay true to progressive Imperial Edicts."

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:26 am 

"And if the new Emperor insists?" She asked.

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:48 am 

"Then many things can happen. There's no glory in ruling a deeply fractured Empire."

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:50 am 

She chuckled, "And what is it you're looking for in your collection of 'local stakeholders'?"

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:39 am 

"A general disposition to cooperate with the Explorers and accommodate our presence. Other than that, it is difficult to have many preconceptions." He smiled back.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:34 pm 

She sat for a moment and then replied, "I will consider it."

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 3:02 pm 

"I'd be obliged." Yajinden bowed.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 3:17 pm 

She nodded. "Is there anything else I can do for you Senor Hasaxena?"

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 3:39 pm 

"Haven't I taken enough of your time already, Senorita de Quijano?" Yajinden chuckled with some mirth.

Page 2 of 3 [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next