Login FAQ  
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:37 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Page 4 of 5 [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post subject: Re: The Rains In Spain (Dog 7, Evening)
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:02 pm 

"It is certainly not unusual," she said with a nod, "Benten Seido in Crane lands, and Fukurokujin Seido are likewise both located high up. Benten Seido is high atop a cliff in the spur of the Seikutsu Mountains, reachable only by a narrow side-road from the Cold Winds Pass."

Utsu left out the part that it was a dividing point between the very elite Doji holdings to the north, and the less prestigious holdings to the south. Both were still prestigious for any non-Doji.

"Similarly, Fukurokujin Seido in Dragon lands is also located on a high peak. Sometimes, the trek to the temple itself is part of showing one's devotion and piety."

Theme #5Profile

Honour: Exceptional • Status: 5.0 • Glory: 5.1 (Lady of the Golden Moon's Words)
Faith: Exceptional • Status: 4.0 • Reputation: 2.7 (Lady Uxue)
Languages: Rokugani, Merenaese
Has: Wakizashi, flute, notebook (new), small knife, satchel (contains medicine kit and paint supplies).

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:10 pm 

"There is one major peak on the island... but I have never been to its crest." She said while thinking.

Speaks: Merenaese, Mekhem, Yodotai, Rokugani, Thranish, Ujik-hai

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:12 pm 

"Hm, it is worth checking out at least. I am not completely unfamiliar with peaks, but Kenzo-san and my brother-in-law are quite adept at traverseing such terrain."

Theme #5Profile

Honour: Exceptional • Status: 5.0 • Glory: 5.1 (Lady of the Golden Moon's Words)
Has: Wakizashi, flute, notebook (new), small knife, satchel (contains medicine kit and paint supplies).

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:14 pm 

She nodded, "It's a bit detached from the communities of the island... which actually might be a good thing."

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:25 pm 

"You would know that better than most on this expedition," she smiled, "seeing as you are one of the few who have been there before."

Theme #5Profile

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:31 pm 

She nodded, "Planting a new religious monument... even one honoring a Tortoise woman, is sure to draw the attention of many. There is always a delicate balance to maintain between different peoples and beliefs. The less visual and ostentatious the display, the more acceptable it is for the populace to accept at first."

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:37 pm 

"Hm," she nodded slightly. "Different beliefs?"

Theme #5Profile

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:42 pm 

She nodded, "Religions vary as much as people do in this world."

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:51 pm 

She looked thoughtful as she digested this idea.

"What other kinds of belief is there, on the island, I mean?"

Of course, it made sense that people might believe in different things, even if she knew that the Kami and the Fortunes, as well as Lady Sun and Lord Moon were the right ones. The mark of the divine beings could be seen many places in Rokugan.

Theme #5Profile

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:02 pm 

"Predominantly there are two faiths. The Church of Kharsis, and the Faith of the Lost Daughter." She replied.

"Kharsis believers predominantly come from Merenae and Thrane, and those who believe in the Lost Daughter hail from the Tarkhanate."

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:11 pm 

"Are they very different from what we are more used to in the Empire?" she inquired, curious as to what these two faiths were all about.

Theme #5Profile

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:13 pm 

She nodded, "Quite. I hear Kharsis faith is still illegal on the mainland as a matter of fact... I doubt that comes from a place of understanding however."

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:16 pm 

It didn't surprise her that it was illegal, though she wondered how that had come about. Then again, the past years had seen her a little removed from a lot of the current news.

"You are probably right there." She wondered who had decreed it so. The Jade Champion? The Phoenix? The Imperial family?

"But how do they feel in regards to Rokugani worship, if you know?"

Theme #5Profile

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:20 pm 

"Far less hostile than Rokugani feel towards their faiths. Everyone thinks theirs is best, of course... but there's a bit of mutual understanding that takes place on our island. Both faiths worship a different deity, but by in large many of the tenets are the same. Both care for compassion and faith. Both seek to ease the sufferings of the destitute. Both seek to provide answers to the questions of the soul." She replied.

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:37 pm 

"I see. That will certainly make it a little easier to introduce a new Fortune and a new temple," she nodded. "Let us just hope that other members of the expedition aren't going to raise a ruckus over these foreign faiths."

Utsusemi shrugged. "We are the visitors, so I feel it would be wrong to do so, but not everyone shares my thoughts, I suspect."

Theme #5Profile

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:38 pm 

She chuckled, "I'm sure there will be problems. People tend to be people... whether they live on my island or in Rokugan."

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:43 pm 

"Ah, yes," she sighed, giving a lopsided smile, "that is quite true. Just look at all the idiocy that we get up to in the Empire, just because of clan loyalties, even if we are all in service to the same Empire and Emperor."

Like any Crane, she of course blamed the Lion for most of it. Not that like any clans were blameless, but the Lion had the most blame to shoulder.

"And now we're entering a completely unknown territory, with it's own politics and worries. I am glad to at least have learned so much from you, so I can hopefully avoid causing offense unintentionally."

Theme #5Profile

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:46 pm 

She nodded, "There's much to learn. But you've shown a willingness to extend yourself and understand with empathy. I find that to be the most successful model I know of."

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:08 pm 

"Thank you. And yes, I agree that approaching with patience and willingness to understand is better than to push or antagonize. Perhaps it is my courtier-training, or merely my own circumstances, that has shaped me so," she smiled wryly. "Or because I am used to being patient with my children, and teach them to approach the new and unknown with understand rather than ignorance."

Theme #5Profile

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:12 pm 

She smiled tightly and nodded, "I'm sure you make a wonderful mother then. And will hopefully do much good on this journey."

DescriptionTheme

Page 4 of 5 [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next