Login FAQ  
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:14 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Page 2 of 3 [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post subject: Re: Wake up soon, sleeping beauty (D6, EM)
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:39 pm 

"I like to think I have always adapted easily," she said with a weak smile. Not that she had become a Dragon through-and-through, as she had never really complained about her life as an Agasha compared to to as a Doji, but had simply just tried to do the best she could with the situation she was in. "But yes, it will be good to have Kenzo-san around, as I seem to recall he speaks the yobanjin-language, which he said was useful the other day when meeting one of the Tarkhanate people..."

Utsusemi was mostly wondering what Sanjuro knew about the Tarkhanate, as he kept surprising her with all this knowledge she never knew he possessed. Then he skillfully side-tracked that train of thought. "Really? Oh, that's good... I was worried what it would taste like, seeing as it wasn't exactly easy to find ingredients we're used to from home." And that rice is just weird.

The few grains that slipped away from him only made her smirk lightly as she saw the family resemblances, though she was thinking of a much much younger face, and for a moment her eyes were distant as they were several leagues away, back home. Shaking out of the homesick feeling, Utsusemi focused herself again.

"But, uhm, what do you know about the Tarkhanate? There's been a lot of odd talks about it, but I'd want to hear what you know. I had never heard of it before until Bellena told me... and I'm very grateful for all the help she has been, though the Merenaese lessons with her were rather intense."

Theme #5Profile

Honour: Exceptional • Status: 5.0 • Glory: 5.1 (Lady of the Golden Moon's Words)
Faith: Exceptional • Status: 4.0 • Reputation: 2.7 (Lady Uxue)
Languages: Rokugani, Merenaese
Has: Wakizashi, flute, notebook (new), small knife, satchel (contains medicine kit and paint supplies).

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:31 pm 

"So you've learned Merenaese during the journey?"

He raised his brows as if he had remembered something, then looked at his knees and resumed eating for a while.

"Judging by some Merenaese books that got into my possession many natural scholars and engineers live and prosper in the Tarkhanate. They have a ruler with the title of Tarkhan. The last one I saw mentioned was Xurragu, and he fostered science and development of big cities. One of the biggest is Aqahba, and there is a marvel of architecture there, the Mosque of Five Winds, dedicated to a deity they call Forsaken Daughter or something like that. They had had good relations with Merenae but then something happened and there were fewer exchanges and more begrudged accounts. Or so was my impression when I read it." He thought more. "And I think they generally win wars they fight. They use muskets and cannons to a great extent."

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:06 am 

"I can speak Merenaese, yes. Learned from poetry and speaking everyday with señorita Bellena and crew," her Merenaese was understandable, though the Rokugani accent was quite strong. A combination of a good teacher and great effort from Utsusemi's side had at least given her proficiency enough to not need a translator on the island.

His assessement of the Tarkhanate seemed very much in line with what Bellena had told her, making both sources seem reliable. "Hm... it is troubling. Some have said that the Tarkhanate is allied with, or there are parts of the Tarkhanate that call themselves Unicorn, and claim to be the followers of Shinjo-kami, but," she sighed, her brows furrowed in thought, "I am not sure if I believe it."

"Hopefully some light will be shed on it today during the meeting, but all I have heard of the Tarkhanate is that they are quite... brutal, powerful, and... well, I hate to use the term barbaric, but I am hard-pressed to think of another in this case." Fingers rubbed her chin in thought. Barbaric was not the best word, seeing as they were quite advanced in terms of weapons, tactics, and trade, at least from all she heard.

Theme #5Profile

Honour: Exceptional • Status: 5.0 • Glory: 5.1 (Lady of the Golden Moon's Words)
Has: Wakizashi, flute, notebook (new), small knife, satchel (contains medicine kit and paint supplies).

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:49 am 

"I think it's safe to say they don't think like most Rokugani. But their thinking leads them to ideas inaccessible to us with our thinking. Those ideas give them accomplishments which make them more powerful, affluent and destructive. I guess this is the real dilemma." He shrugged, losing more grains. "But this is our dilemma. It won't be solved by vilifying them. Just mentally escaped."

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:00 am 

At what cost must we access these ideas... she thought, leaning her neck to the side as she looked away with a look of deep thought.

"Just be careful around them, alright?" she said after a long pause, her words laced with worry even as she pretended to keep herself more concerned with the wrinkles on her clothes. "You're always welcome to stay with me, or visit anytime you want. I'd hate for anything more to happen to you..."

Theme #5Profile

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:49 am 

"Sure. Caution doesn't come hard to me." He smiled, putting the chopsticks away for now. "Once I get my sword arm back, I'll be able to defend myself just fine." He reached out and with the other hand he lifted her chin so their eyes could connect. His near-death experience changed something in him. There was no fretting or moodiness, more clarity. "I'll be fine, Utsu. How you care for my well-being sustains me, but your pity would hurt me. I love you too much to be some lingering inconvenience to you just when you try to create something new. I am nothing new after all. But I'll be there for you whenever you'll call me, because this is how it works." He shrugged, and his hand slid to her hand to squeeze it once. "So don't worry that much."

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:10 am 

Her breath was caught in her throat as Sanjuro lifted her chin, her blue-flecked eyes hesitantly looking up to meet his. His recovery was remarkable... as was this change that seemed to have come over him, dispelling his previous morose-like demeanor.

"Don't say that," her voice dropped in volume, "making it sound like you are not important, or that you are an inconvenience to me." The breath trembled softly as she breathed again.

That dreadful feeling of shame was like a cold leech on her skin. She could not tell Sanjuro of Kenzo and her... and she hated to think what would happen if he did find out. I guess I truly am an unfaithful wife now... after having felt like one for years.

"Just know that you can always call on me for help too. You know I will be there for you, like you've been there for me." All she could do was to smile as if nothing was wrong, and squeeze his hand in return. "But one thing first..."

Her nose wrinkled slightly as she held back a chuckle. "... You need a bath before you go around looking for a place to stay."

Theme #5Profile

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:44 am 

"I indeed stink." He agreed to the only thing he could without getting any deeper into the conundrum who they were to each other. "Yes, I need to figure out how to clean myself." He released her hand and leaned on the wall to try to rise.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:00 am 

"Here, let me help you," she rose as she held out her hands in an offering to assist him.

"If you want, I could help you back to my place and we'll get you some water for a bath, and some clean clothes."

Theme #5Profile

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:08 am 

He held out his in a halting gesture, struggling to get up by himself and eventually succeeding.

"See, I'm fine." He smiled, making an effort to be reassuring. "And myself parading in this state across town would probably defeat the purpose of trying to make myself presentable." He snorted to himself. "I am done being miserable."

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:15 am 

She sighed in an overly dramatic tone. "Really?" a small smirk played on her lips as she shook her head. "Trying to act all tough, hm? Very well, I won't stop you."

Utsusemi mumbled something about 'typical men' as she looked him over.

Theme #5Profile

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:39 am 

"Where would acting soft ever get me?" He looked at her with a slightly coy smirk-like expression, then straightened himself with the help of the curved wall. He had some parts of his clothing still plastered to him but it only helped discern that he no longer had the boyish constitution she might have remembered him for. The time apart had made a difference. Working in the smithy had toned him more than enough. He probably had survived the ordeal because his body was wired not to give in under severe strain. "Besides, you have that important meeting."

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:48 am 

Prince Jama can go take a leap into the ocean for all I care, she thought sourly as she would rather make sure Sanjuro would be alright, and the way she puffed her cheeks made it seem like she was actually going to say something very improper regarding that meeting.

But she swallowed her annoyance as she looked him over. Not that she hadn't seen how his body had changed as she had tended to him, but it had not been on her mind at the time. Though seeing it now made her much more aware of how much he had seemed to grow since they were last together. "Hm, you're right," Utsu acknowledged a little begrudgingly, looking away before she felt like she might be staring.

"Though there are times being soft is better than being tough," she retorted, picking up the bento bowl and chopsticks. You're softer than your brother, after all.

Theme #5Profile

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:14 am 

"There are, sure." He nodded in genuine agreement, steeling himself for what he took as her inspection of his ability to stand and walk. "I'll revisit them one day if this is what is meant to be." He looked at the bento, then offered an olive branch with a small smile. "I may still need your nourishing meals to recover. This one has worked wonders."

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:09 pm 

What 'this' is meant to be?

Utsusemi concealed her confusion by busying herself with tidying up from the breakfast. Not that there was much to do about it though...

"Mm, I will have to work hard to do better then if you'll be relying on me," she looked up at him with a smile. "You've recovered remarkably fast..."

Theme #5Profile

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:41 pm 

"Sometimes the better might the enemy of the good. For me it's fine the way it is, Utsu. I think it's better to improve things that don't work rather than those that do." He nodded to himself. "I'll try to make myself useful soon enough. I will need to travel around the island to find the right place. A smithy, a paintmaker maybe." He frowned. "I guess I lost all of my books in the storm. Hopefully not the swords?"

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:07 pm 

She frowned a little... her concern had been completely on saving his life, and that the cat was safe too, she had not even asked Akarei about Sanjuro's possessions. The poor Yogo had lost most of her clothes, she knew, so she was growing a little worried for Sanjuro's valuables.

"... I... admit I didn't think to ask Yogo-san. My apologies," she lowered her head. "Anything that survived should still be on the Yamato Maru."

Might as well give some improving news? "There is a mill up in the hills of the western port. They make paper, I think? Might be something of interest to you?"

Theme #5Profile

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:11 pm 

There was a moment of tense silence when she could almost hear some ode or prayer to stay calm being uttered inside his head. "...I'll check my ship then, and that mill too." Another pause. "If Suitengu took my swords, I guess it's because I can make my own."

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:19 pm 

Of course she understood how important a daisho was to a samurai, and Utsusemi silently berated herself for not having had the presence of mind to think about it until Sanjuro had asked. Back in Rokugan, she knew some would have thought she might as well have let him die if his swords had been lost.

She gave a quiet nod.

"... Anything I can do?" Utsu asked, keeping her head lowered.

Theme #5Profile

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:06 am 

"You preserved me. How much more there is to do? I think it's my time to act, Utsu. My swords are my responsibility." He looked at her seriously, then gripped the rim of the table and tried to walk. Slowly, more shuffling feet than making steps, he was making progress. The sprained ankle didn't help.

Page 2 of 3 [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next