Login FAQ  
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:16 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Page 1 of 3 [ 45 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post subject: Inspection Day: Family Visit (Rooster 26, Morning)
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:46 pm 

The Kunshu Maru had been holding up well, all things considered, but without any clear way of communicating between the ships apart from the signalling, she had been worried from time to time for Sanjuro's well-being... especially during the calm when there had been distress all around.

As the Kunshu Maru and Yamato Maru joined up together for the inspection day, Utsu gladly volunteered to head over to the other ship to help with the exchange of supplies... and to indulge in a brief moment of seeing other faces and hearing other voices as she looked for Sanjuro.

Theme #5Profile

Honour: Exceptional • Status: 5.0 • Glory: 5.1 (Lady of the Golden Moon's Words)
Faith: Exceptional • Status: 4.0 • Reputation: 2.7 (Lady Uxue)
Languages: Rokugani, Merenaese
Has: Wakizashi, flute, notebook (new), small knife, satchel (contains medicine kit and paint supplies).

Post subject: Re: Inspection Day: Family Visit (Rooster 26, Morning)
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:55 pm 

Sanjuro was on the afterdeck, working since early hours to help shipwrights with minor repairs or flaws that only become evident after they had sailed off. Right now, he was sawing. He was dressed very simply, in his drab blue-green kimono and his hair were in slight disarray. While the people around him were sharing some occasional joke or other kind of mood boosting, he remained mostly silent, replying only to professional questions.

The white cat was walking on the railing by the wheelhouse.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:01 pm 

Rather than disturbing her brother-in-law at first, seeing as he was working, Utsu greeted the cat instead. "Neko-sama," she cooed, held out a hand to lure it closer for petting, "and here I was worried he would leave you behind all alone. But here you are, looking after him." Not that she was quiet in her conversation with the cat.

She did wonder how the feline was holding up, being stuck on a ship, but she figured the two of them at least kept eachother company.

Theme #5Profile

Honour: Exceptional • Status: 5.0 • Glory: 5.1 (Lady of the Golden Moon's Words)
Has: Wakizashi, flute, notebook (new), small knife, satchel (contains medicine kit and paint supplies).

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:11 pm 

The feline seemed leaner. As did Sanjuro in fact, his cheekbones more standing out. The cat recognised her quickly and approached to show affection while waiting for food.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:18 pm 

It wasn't much she could offer the cat for now, as she had not expected to find it here, so it would have to settle for a few bits of dried fish she had in the satchel over her shoulder (along with a few other things she had brought with her) and head-scratching.

"Have you been well?" she asked, facing Sanjuro as she passed the tiny dried fishes to the cat, adressing him when there was a lull in the sawing. "You seem... thinner."

Not that she was one to say it, as she had lost a little weight too, and despite applying lotion to protect the skin from the sun and wearing her strawhat, it had been impossible to completely stop the skin from tanning out on the open sea.

Theme #5Profile

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:17 am 

"Utsu-sama." He stopped sawing to turn to her and bow, his forearms bared for work positioned along his body, the saw still in one hand. He took a deeper breath before straightening. "I've been fine. The ship life is more or less what I've expected it to be. Gaijin accounts on it I read were rather detailed." He looked at his forearms, veins blueing out of recent exertion. "Nah, I am fine." He glanced back at her, briefly. "You look fine too. Seems you've been braving the conditions."

The cat took its time to deal with the fish bits.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:30 am 

She raised a hand to touch her cheek, thinking she might have changed some during the trip, because of his words.

"Do I?" Her hands were perhaps what had changed the most, as they were no longer soft-looking or pristine. Small cuts and scrapes had taken over the perfect manicure.

"I brought some treats for you, but... if you're too busy...?"

Theme #5Profile

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:40 am 

"I can take a break." He said after a moment, glancing at the men, then putting the saw away. "They can follow from here, they know their trade." He shrugged. "It's not like I am indispensable." Stepping away from the carpentering, he moved a step closer to her, briefly registering that the cat had some food and discretely checking if it wasn't something too random it had found in the bilges. "I am no officer, so I don't have a place to take you to though."

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:54 am 

"Don't worry, it's just dried fish," she assured him with a gentle tone, having seen him check on the cat.

"And no need to worry about that, being out on deck is fine with me." Seeing he at least was well made her smile easily, and she lowered her gaze as she opened her satchel. There were some rolled up paintings in there, but her hands reached first for a pair of small boxes, one of them wrapped in cloth.

" Some tea for you... the standard ship-tea gets a little bland after a while, I figured you might miss one of the blends you said you liked."

Theme #5Profile

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:39 am 

"I'd like some tea." He admitted. "Maybe the rocking won't spill it for us." He looked around and spotted several boxes being out there for inventory, but for now left alone. "Maybe there." He gestured toward them.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:45 am 

"Hm, I've noticed over the trip so far that if you fill cups at the half-point, there's less chance of spilling."

Looking at the spot he gestured to, she gave a nod. "That seems fine. We learn to make due in these circumstances, neh?"

Theme #5Profile

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:49 am 

"Improvisation is the best defence of purpose?" He shrugged. "We all have to make do, true." As they approached the boxes, he made quick work of arranging them for their purpose, two for seats and one for the table in between. "The Lion captain, is he good for you?"

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:54 am 

"Mhm," she nodded, glancing briefly back in the direction of the Kunshu Maru. "Kitsu-kancho is a skilled leader. Frankly, I don't think there is a situation he can't handle. Also has an impressive singing voice, that has been a boon for the crew a few times too." It had been odd to hear him singing during the calm to raise the spirits of his crew, but it had been quite effective. "And Muhaki-san is a very skilled First Mate... all in all, I can't complain about the officers and crew of the Kunshu Maru."

"What about you? I believe there was a Sparrow in charge of this ship?"

Theme #5Profile

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 6:59 am 

"He looked like a political appointment to me but he has some managerial skills and he's learning fast. Nothing to complain about too much. Sometimes knowing how to delegate to people who know their trade is enough to make things going." He shrugged, sitting. "If we hit a storm, it may get trickier though."

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:05 am 

Smoothing out her hakama, she sat down opposite of him, busying her hands with the tea.

"It's a learning experience for most, it seems," she noted with a nod, thinking of Akarei serving as First Mate on this ship. "Kitsu-kancho has been teaching me a few things too, so I'm better prepared in a case of an emergency, and Muhaki-san has been helping me with my studies of the Merenae-language."

She gave him a slightly worried look. "Have you experienced storms out at sea before?"

Theme #5Profile

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:10 am 

"Only the coastal ones, on a much smaller boat. I got my practical knowledge of sailing from yachting in the near seas of Dragon's Guard." He mused. "Here, they may be much bigger. On a plus side, without a land anywhere near you can't be crashed against the cliffs."

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:13 am 

"Hmmm, true... but if anyone falls overboard, chances of being carried to shore by the waves is smaller," she noted with some concern, and glanced back to the cat. "... Will neko-sama be alright in a storm?"

Theme #5Profile

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:32 am 

"Not my concern. It tagged along at its own responsibility." Sanjuro frowned. "Part of being fiercely independent is taking responsibility for one's own decisions, good or bad." He nevertheless looked at the cat with some ineptly hidden worry.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:38 am 

Utsu raised an eyebrow at his comment, but hesitated to call him out on it. "Jaa, I wouldn't say either of you are fiercely independant, to be honest," she said with a breathy voice, exhaling softly. "More like two peas in a pod."

A half-full cup of tea was passed to him. She had remembered this blend to be one he had seemed to enjoy the most. "I brought a brick of the blend as well for you, to have something something for the rest of the trip, if you like."

Theme #5Profile

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:45 am 

"Mm, thank you."

He bowed his head in thanks, before accepting the cup. There was a slightest moment of hesitation when he did so, but ultimately his fingers tried to avoid hers.

"So, you're learning Merenaese?"

Page 1 of 3 [ 45 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next