Login FAQ  
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:54 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Page 2 of 3 [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post subject: Re: Inspection Day: Family Visit (Rooster 26, Morning)
PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:53 am 

"Mhm," she nodded. "It will make things easier if I do not need someone to translate everything for me... it will be useful to be able to understand on my own."

There might have been a bit more colour in her cheeks, or maybe it was just what the sun had left there over the course of the journey so far. Utsu was at least trying to not think of what Berena had told her about the Merenaese song.

"With so many speaking the language on the Kunshu Maru, heavens know I hear it frequently every day. Though some of the things sailors say, I wish I didn't understand from time to time," the woman chuckled, trying to keep a light tone for the conversation.

Theme #5Profile

Honour: Exceptional • Status: 5.0 • Glory: 5.1 (Lady of the Golden Moon's Words)
Faith: Exceptional • Status: 4.0 • Reputation: 2.7 (Lady Uxue)
Languages: Rokugani, Merenaese
Has: Wakizashi, flute, notebook (new), small knife, satchel (contains medicine kit and paint supplies).

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:49 am 

"It's the language of the sea, and all the emotions it brings about." He took a long sip, looking down, his own expression taking on slight embarrassment. "It's not just the gaijin who can't find the right words to say what they mean." He smirked at the end, elso trying to add some levity to it.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 10:52 am 

She hm'ed an agreement. "Expression is oft a difficult thing, but we each find a way. Art is one, as is the, ehm... 'colourful' phrases heard on a ship." Utsu chuckled lightly.

"Have you found time for personal projects or has it been all work and no time for yourself."

Theme #5Profile

Honour: Exceptional • Status: 5.0 • Glory: 5.1 (Lady of the Golden Moon's Words)
Has: Wakizashi, flute, notebook (new), small knife, satchel (contains medicine kit and paint supplies).

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:14 pm 

"Or snacks and tea... or maybe not." He shook his head slightly, then took another sip. In this tempo it'd be drained soon enough. He had always found it difficult to contemplate tea by taking small sips. He often couldn't defeat the notion of being in hurry for the next thing, even if there was no next thing. "I've been tinkering. The gaijin rigging on the ship, while theoretically more efficient, is not intuitive to many Rokugani. I try to come up with some improvements, but it's hard to make a new pulley without my smithy." He shrugged. "Practically impossible. So it's more for whatever next prong of this journey leads us to."

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:51 pm 

"Snacks and tea is one way too, I suppose," she admitted. After all, he was still important to her, even if she could not allow herself to feel what he did.

Refill was offered. She was still slowly going through hers, as she was the type to contemplate over a cup of tea... in a home with two young children, especially with one as energetic as her son, she enjoyed each quiet moment.

"But I'm glad to hear you've been able to tinker around. You always seem so restless when there's nothing to keep your hands busy."

Reaching for the other box, she gave him a playful smile. "Now," she held it up so he could see it, "care to take a guess at what sort of sweets I have brought with me?"

The box itself gave little away, apart from it's rectangular shape.

Theme #5Profile

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:41 pm 

"I suppose it has something to do with me trying to do something good with my life. To make things that will be small boons to people I know rather than seeking great breakthroughs for people I could not have asked about their opinion." He accepted a refill. "I am not like him. I do not aspire to be. Not any more." He took a fresh sip while looking at the box. "I don't know, probably something nutritional. Dried plums?"

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:46 pm 

Never be like him, Sanjuro.

"You are you, Sanjuro, never try to be anyone else." Her tone indicated the unspoken words that he should never want to be like him.

"Well... if you want something nutritional, I have that back on the ship. No dried plums, but a few other things that are good for you out here. This is just sheer indulgence, though. At least I seem to recall you were impressed with them before."

Sliding the lid aside, and removing the layers of paper that had kept the contents safe and protected, six amezaiku figures were revealed: a turtle, a crane, a frog, a dragon, a cluster of cherry-blossoms, and lastly a cat. Utsusemi's family had brought several of the little edible artworks with them for the wedding celebrations, and the finest of them had been a part of the gifts for the guests.

It was a treat that she had rarely seen in the lands of the Dragon, as such artistry seemed more reserved to the lands of the Crane or Imperials. "Please, have one."

Theme #5Profile

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:49 am 

"One, okay."

His hand hovered around the dragon and the crane, but in the end her ate a frog. Chewing slowly, he nodded.

"Good."

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:15 am 

After Sanjuro had one, she considered one for herself. It seemed she would choose the cherry blossoms, but ended up settling for the dragon-figurine.

She still remembered how impressed people had seemed to be over these delicate confections of art at her wedding, and it felt like was already ages since she enjoyed these treats. A letter of thank you was in order for her older sister, for having sent them to her.

"Hm, chestnut flavour," she noted with some surprise. The cherry blossoms she had suspected tasted of cherry, so trying something unknown had seemed more appealing. "I remember we would get these for New Years when I was a child... but I only wanted the cherry flavoured ones then. Preferably the goldfish-shaped ones too."

Theme #5Profile

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:09 am 

"So, what would be your favourite flavour?" Sanjuro mused, picking up the small talk.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:18 am 

"Hmmm..." she mulled over the choice as if it was a very challenging one. "So many to pick from... but I've grown very fond of plum when it comes to sweets, so I might as well settle for that now. But it's hard to have a constant favourite." Plums also seemed to be favoured in Dragon lands, so that might have attributed to it.

Which was an amusing thought to her, seeing as her daughter wasn't too fond of plums after having tried umeboshi once (as in the child's opinion, all plums were now umeboshi). She chuckled wistfully, looking off to the distance. She not only felt homesick, but looked it too.

"Sanjuro... might I ask something of you?"

Theme #5Profile

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:20 am 

He nodded; plum was a good taste to be fond of. At her question, he raised a brow.

"Sure, if it is something I can do." He answered without much hesitation.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:26 am 

She nervously brushed her hand against her braided hair, looking like she was backing out of whatever she was going to ask before finding her courage.

"Should... if anything should happen to me, would you look after them for me, please?"

The attempt at mutiny had opened her eyes to the fact there were other dangers than the elements they were braving, and her constant worrying was making her think even worse things could still happen.

Theme #5Profile

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:44 am 

"Don't ever doubt that I would." He replied sharply, without much thought. Her question had struck a chord. "I told you how I feel about them." He paused then, suddenly thoughtful, then repeated more or less the same, but gently. "Of course I would, Utsu, against the odds."

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:55 am 

His assurances eased some of her concern. Little did she know how much more her fears would grow in a few days time, when her worst nightmare would torment her.

"Thank you..." her words grew a little more tender. "Hearing that... I feel more at ease."

She stopped herself from the natural habit of apologizing. "I've just been a little too worried lately, I guess, having never been away from them for so long. It's silly to worry like this, I know."

Theme #5Profile

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:30 am 

"Your emotions are not silly to me. They have never been." He said quietly, frowning as he gripped the teacup tighter. "Maybe the experience of not having you around will help them grow."

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:45 am 

Maybe it's just me, but he has always seemed to frown more around me.

Part of her wondered if he chose to appear gruffer to hide his true feelings. It had made her think before that he hated her, but by his own words it was not the case...

Her tension seemed to ease. "Thank you," there was more she wanted to say in response to his kindness, but it was not the place. Her voice, and the gesture of resting a hand over her heart would have to convey her sincere feelings.

"Ah, you might be right there... though I suspect it will be easier for Yoshi to adjust to not having me around to bother him all the time..."

Theme #5Profile

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:50 am 

Her gesture was not unnoticed. He took a deeper breath that might have changed into a sigh had he not kept his lips together.

"Perhaps he will learn more about responsibility, being there to look after Tsumugi to a greater extent."

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:31 am 

"Perhaps, but they're both very young... I know we didn't have to look after eachother, my siblings and I, when we were that young." She soon her head slowly.

"I guess the two of you looked after one another when you were children?" She ask before finishing her own tea.

Theme #5Profile

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 11:46 am 

"Not really. He had his ideas, I had his ideas. But we didn't talk that much. I was a waste of time for him. Trying to connect with him over issues of his interest was boring to him as I had always been a few steps behind. So I gave up and went my own way." His gaze turned inward. "I think it was when I stopped imitating him and became less predictable that he actually tried to reach out. Perhaps just to regain control or respect he had lost. But I was no longer interested. One can be turned down only so many times before recognition and credit stop to matter."

He paused, looking into his tea.

"I wish Yoshi would be different, and it's never too early for that."

Page 2 of 3 [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next