Login FAQ  
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:57 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Page 1 of 3 [ 41 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post subject: Not so much (M3, D9)
PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:58 am 

The journey had begun to wear on Rokuro. He'd been prudent, laid aside good stores.

Those had been taken several days ago. Again.

Sitting on a barrel in the hold, he tallied up what was left and tried to find a way to bend the numbers from one side of the paper to the other by force of will.

Sadly, short of folding the paper over and pretending that would fix his problems, he had no answer.

So he went over the sums again, looking for some spark of inspiration.

Description :: Theme :: Strife

Post subject: Re: Not so much (M4, D9)
PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 5:04 am 

The ship's head priestess approached the captain with a faint smile. She gave him a polite bow and walked around to check for others. Once she was satisfied that nobody else was around, she came back to him with a slight smirk. "Rokuro-san, I thought we agreed that that was one of my duties," she remarked, more gentle than her usual tone.

General Theme | Stargazing Theme | Battle Theme

Typically Carries: Robes, Mask, Fan, Wakizashi, Knife, Scroll Satchel, Divination Kit, Paper Wards

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 5:14 am 

He looked sheepish.

"I'm sorry... I've just made such a habit of doing the books in my past duties... it's a hard habit to shake."

Setting down the tallies, he added, "It's not quite the harvest, but it's still an interesting puzzle... I'll try and hold myself back."

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 5:26 am 

"Some habits never go away," she remarked with a shrug. She picked up the tallies for herself and skimmed over them. "I suppose we will always want to find something that's missing, more supplies that mysteriously arrived." The woman gave a soft smile. "I do not believe the Fortunes ever bless us in such a way."

Typically Carries: Robes, Mask, Fan, Wakizashi, Knife, Scroll Satchel, Divination Kit, Paper Wards

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:42 pm 

"No, I've never seen them magic more into the column of items left, but sometimes I've seen items vanish from it."

He chuckled.

"I'd be happier if I left well enough alone, but I suppose it's better to know something is missing now, rather than later."

Glancing at Akarei, he added, "I'll try and avoid stealing your work, Akarei-san, I just haven't actually had much to do... the Crew runs the ship better than I do, sometimes."

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:20 pm 

"That is the crew's duty. Our duty is to make sure they complete it properly." The woman sighed and placed the tallies back. "I would have thought the peasants would have stronger stomachs than this. I wonder if they're used to taking any crops they need for themselves."

Post subject: Re: Not so much (M3, D9)
PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:45 pm 

Rokuro perked up a little. "Actually, the harvest time is..."

He looked a bit sheepish. "Sorry... I actually find the entire process fascinating. I've done a fair bit of study on how supplies and resources all tie together. Many heimen will supplement their diets with foraged foods, when things get lean. They usually know better than to skim the harvest, but that's a lot harder to do out here."

Leaning back against another barrel, he crossed his arms, and added, "I suppose I know that my duty is simply to provide oversight in times like this, but it still leaves me with a bit more time than I entirely know how to fill. I can only inspect the deck for so long."

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:52 pm 

The woman shrugged. "I suppose I never bothered myself with those duties beneath my station. I suppose it would be unwise to steal from the harvest."

She then let out a soft sigh. "I am sure your need for excitement will be filled when we are not together with the larger fleet."

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 5:10 pm 

He chuckled.

"I wouldn't call it a need, but I do feel a little... useless... at the moment. It is not normal for me to sit idle, I suppose I could take it as a lesson in patience."

With a small shrug, he added, "I guess I'm just too curious for my own good, I've always poked my nose in to things I didn't understand."

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 5:33 pm 

"I must be taking up too many duties. We have had plenty to do, what with our loyalty issue." The woman let out a soft sigh. "I know what I am doing but the men distrust my signals."

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:43 pm 

Rokuro nodded. "Hai, but after the initial dissent they've grown quiet... at least around me."

He frowned. "There isn't another mutineer, is there?"

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:42 pm 

"I am not aware of any. I am simply stating that the discontent has not completely ended." The Yogo gave him a wicked grin. "We Scorpion make great villains. I believe they see you as a tragic hero who has been enveloped by my dark and macabre schemes."

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:58 pm 

Rokuro scowled. "I tried to disabuse them of that notion. I'm fully capable of stopping your nefarious plots to run inventory."

Glancing at Akarei, he added, dryly, "I wish they'd start seeing the good work you're doing, even if you are, apparently, a macabre villain."

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:17 pm 

"That would require all of our home to look past decades, centuries, of distaste for my sort." The woman gave a soft smile. "The first step is to find a way to lift the curse. Then the stigma will lose its merit."

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:21 pm 

"Hai."

He scratched at his chin. "Do you have any ideas on that front... approaches already tried or avenues to follow? I admit my knowledge of such things is quite lacking. If you know what to keep an eye out for, I'll make sure I stay vigilant."

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:26 pm 

"I always have ideas. All of my kin do. It is deciphering which ones will work which is the real challenge." The woman let out a soft sigh and looked away. "To be honest, I need more information. I am hoping that the gaijin may possess some mystical powers that are unavailable back at home. Perhaps their foreign nature will be capable of something the kami are not."

The priestess let out a bitter laugh. "Kami forgive me for speaking in such a way. But there are extents to their power."

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:44 pm 

Rokuro listened in silence. He tapped on finger on his arm, thinking, and then inquired, "So anything... mystical. Even if it doesn't seem directly related?"

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:35 pm 

"Essentially. It may be of no use but this is a problem that has not been solved for centuries. I am not going to instantly rule out any possibilities."

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:39 pm 

"Then I won't either."

Smiling faintly, he added, "Let me know if there is anything else I can do to help, small duties or the like; I know the crew are being harder on you. I don't want to leave you without support."

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:49 pm 

"I manage and will continue to do so." She gave him a small, apologetic smile. "I do not want them to believe I am reliant on your approval. I want them to come to respect me on my own merits."

Page 1 of 3 [ 41 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next