Login FAQ  
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:37 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: Wanderlust (Day 3 Afternoon Rooster 26)
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:57 pm 

Inspection day, Yasuhiro was a little interested in seeing other faces, not that he hated the people on his ship, but he had seen a awful lot of them over the last week or so. He'd also never had the chance to look over the stingray. After a time attending to his duties he made his way over to the other ship.

If he recalled it was captained by Asahina Tori, and wasn't Kitsu Yuki stationed on it as well?

Honor: Exceptional | Status: 6.0 | Glory: 4.4| Infamy: 1.0 | Reputation: 1.7 | Notoriety: 1.1

Carries: Daisho, Kimono, Finger of Jade
When allowed: Yumi, Light Armor

Merenaese

Post subject: Re: Wanderlust (Day 3 Afternoon Rooster 26)
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 11:39 pm 

At the arrival of the Ashitae Maru's first officer, Captain Tori comes out to greet him personally. Not that there's a great deal of space to hide if she didn't want to greet him. Space is limited on the Ashitae Maru, and that ship could probably fit the Stingray inside her. But it is a beautiful vessel, and well-maintained.

The Crane bows to her guest. "Matsu-san; it is a pleasure. I pray the trip has been kind to you?"

Rokugani * Thrane * Merenaese

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:28 am 

Dear Kami, the Crane must of starved her when she was young.... Poor thing.... You should feed her Yasuhiro! You brought food didn't you?

"Good afternoon Asahina-sama." Yasuhiro greeted the tiny woman with a polite bow. "Yes, as well as can be expected all things considered. I hope you can say the same?"

Honor: Exceptional | Status: 6.0 | Glory: 4.4| Infamy: 1.0 | Reputation: 1.7 | Notoriety: 1.1

Merenaese

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 7:32 am 

"Very much so, yes," the Crane smiles. "So far, the winds have been fair and the seas have been gentle enough. Would you care to join me in my cabin for tea?"

No need to mention the unpleasantness from a couple days ago. Pleasant things, pleasant things.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 8:29 am 

"That's very kind of you Asahina-sama, I've brought some dried persimmon's along. If you like we can share them as well?" He offered politely, no need to hog them all so himself after all. Especially since the poor girl looked have starved already.

Merenaese

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:48 am 

"That sounds delightful," she smiles, and leads the way.

The captain's cabin is, of course, the finest room on board, though modest by land standards, and it doubles as quite the work space. The large table in the middle has a sequence of anatomically detailed drawings of fish atop it, with various comments and notes, as well as assorted maps and charts listing various measurements of wind and tides. A smaller table on the far wall appears to be where Tori dines, next to a shelf filled with various scrolls.

The room itself is beautifully painted, the walls a whirl of sky, cloud, and bird motifs. One end of the far wall sports the emblem of the Imperial Explorers in paint that seems significantly fresher than the rest, and the other end comes into a spiral with an icon to Kaze-no-kami carved into the wall. Before anything else, the Crane pays her respects to the icon, then sets to work with her tea set.

"I believe I have something a little lighter that should go nicely with the persimmons," she says as she lights a fire and begins setting water to boil, mentally adjusting her tea ration as she does so.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:51 am 

He returned the smile and followed her towards the cabin, his grandmother chattering away all the time. You only brought fruit? She needs rice, and poultry! Something to put some meat on her bones!

As they arrived in the room he paused a moment to take in the area, before offering his own respects to the Icon of Kaze-no-kami. "I look forward to seeing what you have in mind." He replied before moving across the room to the table meant for meals, he didn't yet take a seat, instead producing the small package of fruit and opening it before sitting it on the table.

Merenaese

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:16 am 

Though the persimmons warrant a nod and a smile, the making of tea comes first. Tori gestures her guest to be seated, then sets up her utensils. Oddly, she places a charred triangle of broken pottery in a place of prominence above her work.

She holds steady before portioning out the powder; can't afford to waste a single grain, then she does the same with the water. A disruption to the rhythm of the ceremony, but a necessary one.

A soft floral scent fills the room, clearly a blend of something, but difficult to place. When she's done, she places a cup before her guest, and then before herself; the cups are a rather plain number, and both deeper and sturdier than one would normally see on the mainland. Not an uncommon compromise to see on ships.

Only then does she assume her own seat, and waits for her guest to take the first sip before taking her own; only then may conversation begin in earnest.

((Tea Ceremony: 3d10o10k2 12))

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 5:24 am 

Yasuhiro moved to take the offered seat, watching the young woman work for a few moments, she was attractive in a ephemeral sort of way, his grandmother was right though. She certainly needed to eat more. The tea did smell pleasant though, and he dipped his head in thanks as she placed a cup before him.

Taking into his hands he paused to take a moment to appreciate the aroma, before taking a slow sip. "It's quite good." He offered with a slight smile. "Could I ask what it is?"

Merenaese

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:48 am 

"You may ask," the little Crane grants, "though I am not entirely sure on the details, myself. It's a Fox blend, by a man named Kitsune Goro, called 'Distant Memories.' When he was a boy, his mother bred flowers, and he was trying to recreate the aroma of his favorite flower his mother ever bred. A line now lost. An... oddly appropriate set for my own modest collection."

At least, while it lasts. They'll have to plant some tea on this new island.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:08 am 

It was certainly more information then he had been looking for, but the Lion didn't mention that, merely dipping his head in thanks. "It seems you've shared something special with me then Asahina-sama, I'm not quite sure what I should say."

"Well, other then thank you." He had been expecting something much more generic after all.

Merenaese

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:15 am 

"It is but a curiosity," Tori dismisses. "All art comes from somewhere, and artists love sharing the tales of their inspiration. Merchants love using the tales to push their products. It would be an easy thing to fill this room with such stories; I simply happened to enjoy this one, as well as the blend. Sometimes a good story deserves a good turn. I'm sure you can relate; persuasion through storytelling is a hallmark of the Lion, is it not?"

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:52 am 

"If I didn't know better I'd think you were comparing the Ikoma bards to a pack of merchants Asahina-sama." Yasuhiro murmured softly as he took a sip of his tea. Though there was no apparent anger in his tone. "I'm certain that wasn't your intention though. The Ikoma are after all artist's in their own right."

Merenaese

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:03 pm 

"Not at all," Tori assures her guest. "Lessers appropriate the tools and works of their betters all the time. For better and for worse. A lesser accepts that a story might change a mind. A master understands how a story can change a soul. One is not worthy of comparison to the other."

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 9:15 pm 

She certainly was better spoken then he, and Yasuhiro sipped his head in acceptance of her words. "Thats true in many fields, not just art."

"Could I ask where your field of mastery lies?" It certainly wasn't in tea ceremony. "At first glance and through our conversation I'd think it was the courtly arts. But your cabin here tells a different story, if you don't mind me saying as much."

Merenaese

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:26 am 

"'The courtly arts,'" Tori observes, "Is such an odd phrase. There is a certain baseline skillset, to be sure, but in its own way, everything is a courtly art. After all, how productive is it to bicker over border skirmishes without an understanding of the lands and conditions in which they are fought? Of exchange and tariff without an understanding of logistics and production?"

The Crane catches herself before she spirals into sensei mode.

"Though my bloodline is strong, I lack the gift, so I was first trained by the Doji, yes. From there I worked for a time as a navigator for the Daidoji, where I learned much of seamanship and logistics. However, my greatest strength has long been my observations of the natural world. Something I've spent the last year teaching at the naval academy."

She looks off into the distance, for a moment, forming her words, "What I said earlier of stories changing souls? They're true for me, too. I've long admired the tales of Lady Agasha, and her view of the world as a place filled with beautiful puzzles; precious gifts from the kami for us to unwrap."

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:03 am 

From what Yasuhiro had seen many courtiers would bicker just to bicker... Even if they had no idea what they were talking about, they would certainly have a opinion about it. This one seemed at least slightly different then the average courtier though.

"I can't say I have much experience with that field of study, though I've met a number of people that seem quite skilled. Now that you mention it, I believe I've seen you around the naval academy in my short time there, though the classes I took are obviously different." He brought his cup to his lips and took a slow sip. "I take it your interest in these puzzles is what brought you to the explorers then? To try and find new one's in foreign lands?"

Merenaese

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 3:30 am 

Tori shakes her head, "Everything is connected. The earth is the earth, and the sea is the sea, whether here, or a thousand miles from here. New perspectives are valuable, but my research can continue anywhere. No, I am here because this is where my empire needs me. It is no mistake that the Stingray's mission is both taxonomy and research, and arts and culture. We are at a precarious point in history; a new age of discovery and innovation, of great glory and achievement, but it comes with a danger, of forgetting who we are, and what we have. I am here so that we do not lose ourselves, and to help remind our people that these precious mysteries should deepen our respect and understanding of this blessed world, not accelerate its exploitation."

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:31 am 

Eat a persimmon you dolt, she's probably waiting for you to start! His grandmother grumbled, it was a fine point though, and setting down his cup Yasuhiro reached for one of the dried fruit. "I see." Yasuhiro murmured, with a nod of understanding.

"It's a important duty you have Asahina-sama. Though I hope you don't have to attend to the later half often. We are Samurai after all, if one of us were to forget that..." He shook his head.

Merenaese

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:50 am 

"Oh, I have no doubt it will come to that sooner or later," Tori laments. "My only hope is that when the day comes, it comes from a place of service, not apathy or greed. One wound heals easier than the others."

"But in the mean time, I tend to keep busy with my projects." She looks over toward her foot locker, "I brought a seed library with me that I believe will thrive in the climate we're headed to, and I suspect the monks would love to cooperate with the idea of a meditation garden."

She takes a sip of tea, then breathes deep of the floral aroma, opening just the right portions of her palate for her to take a single persimmon and delicately place it in her mouth. A moment for it to rest, to soften, then she bites once, letting the sweet mash flow about her mouth, all around her tongue. She savors it as long as she can, until finally, she chews and swallows.

"Truly, a fine treasure; thank you, Matsu-san."

Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next