Login FAQ  
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:33 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

Post subject: With This Haddock (D3 Dog 2, Tori's Cabin)
PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:59 am 

Come a quiet point in the afternoon, as the ship sails along in relative peace, Tori puts a pot of water to boil and goes over the data the ship has been collecting, sometimes with far greater detail and frequency than the crew sees the point of, looking for trends. Actually charting the winds and the tides in the area would take a great deal of time and information, true, but this could be a start for building that body of knowledge.

But that's a secondary consideration today.

Today, the focus shall be the taxonomical side of their mission.

Rokugani * Thrane * Merenaese

Post subject: Re: With This Haddock (D3 Dog 2, Tori's Cabin)
PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:06 am 

There came a knock at the door.
When called to enter, Ran would step inside, every present satchel over one shoulder, stuffed and fat with pages upon pages of notes. So many notes.

"Asahina-sama." she would great her captain, thoughtfully.

Outfit: Extravagant Clothing, Wakizashi, Pistol, Calligraphy Set, Traveling Pack

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:25 am 

The bag garners a raised eyebrow, but not surprise.

"Muhaki-san, please, come in!" the captain bows, getting the door behind the note-laden boatswain.

"I think a strong black tea is appropriate to the hour," she muses, clearly open to suggestions to the contrary. Business is business, after all, but most truly civilized conversations occur over tea.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:43 am 

She bows deeply, then straightens, and brightens at the offer of tea.

"This one trusts in her captain's judgement," regarding the choice of black tea. "I brought my notes," she patted her satchel, "I have been on deck all day, tallying the days catches, and contrasting what we've pulled versus what is fished from the bays by the shores of Dragon's Guard City." She waited for Asahina-sama to direct her on where to sit, opening her satchel and pulling out several papers with fast-looking scribbles of notes, freehand in nature and style, using many shortforms and codes to symbolize various categories that would surely need explanation to cipher through.

Outfit: Extravagant Clothing, Wakizashi, Pistol, Calligraphy Set, Traveling Pack

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:21 am 

The pair finds a good place for the sack of notes, then Tori goes to the icon of Kaze-no-kami carved into the wall of the captain's cabin to pay respect, as she does every time she enters the cabin or has a guest. The first couple days, she only did the first, and gently reminded her guests that icon was there, but that seemed a bit crass and overbearing. This way is gentler.

Sadly, the tea gets little of its due ceremony. A couple good waves, and Tori's more concerned with not spilling tea powder or water than the proper forms. But, in short order, two cups of wake-the-dead black tea are ready to go, in a pair of unassuming white cups. Each one is deep, with a wide base; a Mantis design, though they leave their mark subtly, generally sold to the Crane and the Phoenix as a fairly traditional set, but less likely to spill at sea.

"I must say, I do appreciate the enthusiasm," Tori compliments, a bit overwhelmed by the possibly undue scale.

"As we are the two members of this crew most conversant in taxonomy, some day, our respective works are likely to be compiled together as a reference for others. I believe that data would be most usable if we compare note-taking styles, and ensure our respective methods flow together logically."

((Tea Ceremony: 3d10o10k2 9))

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:44 pm 

She echoed the sentiment, paying respect to the carving as well, before she returned and accepted the cup of tea. The alteration to the design of the cup was noted, and Ran assumed correctly.

Her dark eyebrows raise a little at Tori's compliment. "Is it too much? I have found I ...surprise a lot of samurai by being too much - when it comes to relatively or seemingly simple tasks, I take it, and I run..." She smiled a little, in an endearing sort of way.

"I would like that. I would like that a lot, being a contributor to something bigger than myself. I think that's why I got interested in shipbuilding. Something that I helped build, helped design, helped create, being out in the world. Something I did being useful to others, in a way I cannot be."
She sipped from the bitter black tea. It would definitely jolt her senses.

"I use a lot of shortform, to get my observations out as quickly as possible. Notes can always be revised, but sometimes you only see something once, and then it's gone. I aim to capture as much of a complete picture using vocabulary as I can- much like an artist would want to paint a realistic imagery, I want to invoke a picture in someone's mind, and use as much of the mental canvas as possible to do that. But it's not just visual characteristics I note... Also smells, sounds, other sensations, ambient characteristics.."
She chuckled.
"It can be a bit much, I suppose."

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:06 am 

It takes a while. Longer than Tori would usually prefer to spend to glean this much information. It's good material, granted, very well done, but... cumbersome. And with a great deal of help working with the shorthand, Tori gets the gist.

"I see... very thorough. It would, of course, have to be translated into something more condensed and relatable prior to publication, but that's later."

The captain produces some of her own notes. A much smaller pile. "Your methodology is very different from my own; I find that for me, the process of note taking itself distracts from observation, so I use a series of memory techniques to catalog my findings, then write them down soon after in a somewhat more refined form; less stream of consciousness. And for me, the best way to draw a picture... is with a picture."

She produces a fairly small scroll, with drawings of the fish in question from several angles, with anatomical notes, observations to the side, and an odd cipher, which Tori comments on when asked. "It's a Kakita code. Colors and locations; instruction for painting in the sketch. I seldom have it done, but among my clan, it's an effective way to communicate color in a black and white drawing."

Overall, it's still thorough, but very dense.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 1:35 am 

Ran isn't sure whether Tori's critique rubs her the wrong way or not.

"Oh, hai, I see. I apologize for being too thorough." She apologized humbly, and sips her tea, looking over the captain;s own notes and drawing of fish. "I have no skill for drawing. While I work with my hands, and that is how I pay my way in life... while I have a level of artistry when it comes to crafting, per se... I build, drawing is not my forte.
And if I can be bold, captain, you did say if we were too similar, there could be redundancies."

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:37 am 

"This is observation, not criticism," Tori assures her boatswain as she gets defensive. "I apologize if that was unclear."

"I do not expect you to emulate my technique. I developed it at a very formative time, for a very specific purpose. It influenced how I think, how I perceive, and the mental tools I have at my disposal. I know myself and use the technique that works for me. You know yourself and use the technique that works for you. Condensing the data into a published form can happen later."

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:41 pm 

"Of course. I am accustomed to making several revisions. There was a time, a long time ago, when I would spend days in the library, revising works for my masters. It's no trouble, it's something I enjoy, delving into swaths of information and whittling it down. I look forward to working with you to create books we can be proud of upon our return to Rokugan, Asahina-sama."

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:30 am 

"As do I, Muhaki-san. But this isn't the only project we have!"

Tori begins flitting about her room, building a pile of scrolls on the central table, plus one big box. "I've been accused more than once of collecting projects."

She begins with the box, waiting a breath after undoing the clasp for the full, dramatic reveal. Row after row of bags of carefully cataloged seeds. Flowers, tea, medicine.

"While I am quite comfortable leading the taxonomical side of this expedition, the artistic side is... far less my forte, but it is essential we bring a little of home with us, ne? All of these plants should be able to survive the climates we're heading toward. Whether they survive the soil... remains to be seen."

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:34 am 

An audible gasp. "Ah, plants!" Ran set down her tea cup and stepped forward.
"I relish the sensation of warm soil beneath my fingers, working in the dirt is soothing, hypnotic, even. This is an exquisite collection," she observed, taking time to look over the labels.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 3:15 am 

Excellent enthusiasm.

"I'm glad you like it; I have no doubt you could put this to far better use than I. I suspect high on the agenda shall be erecting a temple to our new fortune. If we extended the offer, a garden for the grounds seems like a lovely idea, and I believe the monks would be most supportive of the effort. We're in for some trying days, and I think that little piece of home would do everyone's heart a great deal of good."

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 3:18 pm 

She smiled. "I will absolutely lend my aid wherever neccessary; both in the construction of the temple, and the planting of the garden afterwards. It would be my honour, to be invested into something so important, so prominent, as we are setting the foundations for a relationship with these people."

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:55 am 

"Excellent, excellent. And I have one other project right now! Well, one other relevant to the mission."

She unfurls the small scroll, revealing a building plan. "This is just a draft. I know my floor plans are pretty lackluster, so a lot of this layout will be redone, especially since I don't know where we're putting it. Research and cultural exchange are vital to the mission, so we're going to need a central hub for it. A library. I'm hoping to talk with the monks and have the ground consecrated as a shrine to Fukurokujin."

As she talks, she sets two of the larger scrolls aside, then rests her hand on the other six. "I've put together a beginning for the collection; a text representing each clan. The Tao for the Phoenix. Lies for the Scorpion, and so on." She points to the two scrolls she separated, "I originally chose The Sword and Leadership for the Crane and the Lion, but this is as much about representing our culture to outsiders, so I think the best place for those two would be whatever dojo we establish for the military forces we brought with us. Instead, I chose a book of poetry and one of the Ikoma's more... spectacular histories to convey our culture and values."

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 2:31 pm 

"Please do not hesitate to call on me when we are on the island, I am absolutely at your service when it comes to anything theology related. I think your cause is an honest and noble one, and I would very much appreciate a chance to work with you, to gain the trust of the natives and set down our piece of Rokugan to nurture there."

Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ]