Login FAQ  
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:13 pm

Page 6 of 7 [ 134 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post subject: Re: The Shanty Ones (D5, EE)
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:19 pm 

"I'm guessing asking who those others are won't yield a productive answer from you?" She asked with a raised eyebrow.

Speaks: Merenaese, Mekhem, Yodotai, Rokugani, Thranish, Ujik-hai

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:24 pm 

"Well, you know who on the island has the clearest claim to the Hantei line." he shrugged. "As for Cornejo's grandchildren. Their secrets are not mine to share."

Carries: Wakizashi, Rapier, Tools
Speaks: Rokugani, Merenaese, Thranish, Sign
Accompanied By: Nari

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:27 pm 

She tilted her head, "Just so you know... Hantei Muhaki's legacy was not passed to one with the closest claim to the Hantei. Just as Teodoro's was not passed to the highest Cornejo."

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:31 pm 

"I know the lineage of both all too well." he shook his head. "Better, actually, than most. I know that answer will frustrate you, but it is the only one I can give, at the moment."

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:34 pm 

She tilted her head, "And to me it's not a question of lineage... but of character."

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:42 pm 

"And, what is your assessment of their character?"

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:43 pm 

"I could see Teodoro in you potentially... Muhaki is not in Jama."

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:57 pm 

"I don't expect you would see that, but that does not mean he doesn't represent the Hantei line." he explained. "I know you see ambition and power as his motivation for all of this and that is understandable. But, he has a legitimate interest in exploration and diplomacy beyond the Empire, and in seeing the legacies of the Hantei and Cornejo united."

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:58 pm 

She chuckled, "Describe the nature of that 'legitimate' interest."

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:25 pm 

"They are his father's wishes." he answered. "And, of the Empress before him, and of the Empress before her. Hantei Yugozohime accepted the envoys of Marenae and Thrane. That did not go well, overall, but relations with Merenae were maintained through the Tortoise. Hantei Retsuhime supported the Tortoise, as evidenced by her decree regarding Lady Someisa and the continued prosperity of the Tortoise throughout her reign. The Veiled Emperor has continued to support progress in spite of a growing movement wishing the reassertion of tradition."

"The path that led us here goes back decades and generations. Cornejo and the Tortoise have been a part of that since it began. They still are. That is the path Jama is on. His brother, on the otherhand, would prefer to eliminate the path entirely."

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:48 pm 

She smiled, "I still think you are far too quick to trust him... I can see why in one sense. He's built for himself a perfect narrative to gather 'progressives' to his cause. He puts himself out there as an alternative, and claims he is the only alternative. He sets himself up as the head of the colleges and teaches this to a generation of explorers..."

She took a sip of her drink, "But using that same claim to being the only hope to the future he undoes the work that had been set in place before him. To his brother the Tortoise may be something that needs to be destroyed, but to Jama we are something that must be usurped and re-purposed under his name. Our mandate emanates from the Imperial throne... and both sons seek to tear that mandate to shreds. That is not unifying Muhaki and Teodoro's legacy in my mind. It is asserting a new and dangerous ideology over that which should not be forgotten."

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:10 pm 

"And, what do you base your belief on?" he asked. "The colleges existed long before Jama took oversight of them. Their continued existence was due largely to the support of Muhaki and then through the edict of Hantei IX. Jama has taken action to further the scope of the colleges and legitimize their existence."

"You are suspicious. I understand that, but I don't understand why. What do you think his actual goals are? What alternative do you think there is for the Tortoise, the Mantis or any of us?"

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:42 pm 

I have spoken with his advisors... seen the effects of his assumption of power over the colleges... and seen his behavior towards the Tortoise in the past year.Spend some more time out here... learn more of the challenges that confront you. Learn more of the lives of Teodoro and Muhaki. There’s a reason why Muhaki was granted his own responsibilities independent of the Hantei name. Men who only see things in terms of power like Jama miss the importance of delegating authority to others and fail to see how it preserves the throne’s sanctity. If one debases the proper lines of succession... then all the validity of that line loses importance... and it becomes a contest of strength of arms. He believes he can win that fight...

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:59 pm 

"You do not know all of the responsibilities Muhaki was given. I do. So does Jama. So does his brother. Look into the life of Muhaki Todoro, not Teodoro, and you may learn a few things." he suggested. "Now, tell me what effects he has had with the colleges? What has he done to the Tortoise? And, how has he not delegated authority to others?"

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:20 am 

I know more than you think mi amigo... And my information isn’t as dated as yours. Jama may know... but he’s not the type to let others know of the truth until it is too late.” She replied with a scoff.

As for what he has done.. I have already told you. He seized all our holdings on the mainland. He’s brainswashed a generation of young people to see as he sees... and now he takes them out to sea to engage them in international diplomacy... Our divinely appointed role. He is assuming our duties as his own. Taken over the fleet we built... and changed its purpose to fit his agenda. Usurping our place and putting he and his students in their place.” She replied.

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:09 am 

"Oh? What do you know?" he asked. "What I know comes from Teodoro's memories. What Jama knows comes by right of birth. Yes, Tortoise assets were seized. I will not argue with that. It was unjust and unfair. And, it came from disagreements over this voyage. Everything seems to have come from that."

"Why are we out here? What do you think?"

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:55 am 

"If you felt you were the only hope for the Empire's future... and knew your opponent had overwhelming military force... what would you be looking for to even the odds?" She asked.

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:19 am 

"Military force? I see your meaning, but it isn't that simple." he shook his head. "The Empire has been through that before. The clans have seen the Throne manipulated politically and seized through force. It won't accept an Emperor who ascends by either means easily. Would Jama value military power? Certainly. Political and economic power, too. But, he isn't going to acquire any of that with six empty ships. Unless, he has something he can offer to everyone, especially the Tortoise who are at the center of it all."

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:27 am 

"He is a resourceful man... and thinks himself to be able to acquire what he needs. And there are ambitious men like him all across the world who he feels he can utilize for his own purposes." She replied.

She paused and finished her drink, "And from what I know... I wouldn't say it's entirely impossible for him to find the political and military support he would need to lay his claim on the Empire. Which is why I am concerned. Because whatever would happen at that point... it would lead to chaos and destruction."

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:47 am 

"What makes you think he would take the Throne by force?" he asked. "What makes you think it would be so important to him that he would go against legitimate succession?"

Page 6 of 7 [ 134 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next