Login FAQ  
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:44 am

Page 3 of 4 [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post subject: Re: Dance of the Unicorn? (D7, EE)
PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:50 am 

"You are very gracious, Agasha-san. I'm looking forward to it," she smiled warmly. "As to my clothing... Unicorn fashion is often a mix of varying amounts of the fashions of our current lands, those of the Moto who became part of our Clan, and those of our homeland. My mother was a native of Medinaat al-Salaam, so I tend to favor fabrics and the scarf common there."

Carries/Owns: Wakizashi, Tanto, Musket, Fan
Speaks: Rokugani, Mekhem, Yobanjin, Merenaese, Ujik-hai, Senpet

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:47 pm 

"Ah, I see," she nodded. There was just something pleasant and almost motherly about the older woman. "So it is more of how fashion is in the Sands? 'Tis quite pretty. Different, but it does draw attention to your eyes. It is not often a woman hides her hair in Rokugan... one of the few times is during the wedding ceremony, many wear some kind of head-cover that might hide the hair."

That a woman would conceal her hair was odd to her, seeing as hair was considered one of the most important parts of feminine beauty. There were even songs dedicated alone to beautiful black hair. Probably a Scorpion song... Crane would sing of beautiful white hair.

Theme #5Profile

Honour: Exceptional • Status: 5.0 • Glory: 5.1 (Lady of the Golden Moon's Words)
Faith: Exceptional • Status: 4.0 • Reputation: 2.7 (Lady Uxue)
Languages: Rokugani, Merenaese
Has: Wakizashi, flute, notebook (new), small knife, satchel (contains medicine kit and paint supplies).

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:30 pm 

"It is the traditional, among other things. For many, it's considered a matter of modesty. It is also a matter of the heat - black hair gets very warm under the desert sun," she explained with a smile. She seemed to enjoy explaining things, seeming cheerful as she did so. Her expression changed to a bit embarrassed as she continued. "For me, it's those things, and also the fact that I've never cut my hair... It's quite a bit easier to just tie it up and keep it under the scarf than deal with the entire length."

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:47 pm 

"Oh, I didn't know that it would be a problem in the sun," she mused. Maybe something to remember for the future, should the occassion arise? As Rukaya mentioned she had never cut her hair, the Dragon gave an understanding nod.

"Seems some things don't change then; women rarely cut their hair in Rokugan as it is considered a great part of feminine beauty to have long beautiful hair. If it is cut, it is only trimmed, and done so on days that will not invite bad luck... it is not until a woman becomes a widow that her hair is cut short," she raised her hand to about her shoulder to show about what length it would be cut, "or she becomes a nun."

Theme #5Profile

Honour: Exceptional • Status: 5.0 • Glory: 5.1 (Lady of the Golden Moon's Words)
Has: Wakizashi, flute, notebook (new), small knife, satchel (contains medicine kit and paint supplies).

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:57 pm 

She nods. "It's best to wear loose, light-colored clothing, if possible, as well. Together, they make the hottest parts of the year much more bearable... Though if you would have fewer problems because your hair is such a beautiful white."

"Becomes a nun?" She repeated curiously.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:05 pm 

"I will try to remember that, in case I am ever in a desert," she smirked, absently putting a hand to her hair at Rukaya's comment.

Utsusemi took a moment to best explain the question about becoming a nun. "... It is tradition that when a samurai has lived a long life of active duty, that they retire to a monastic life. Many who do become teachers and guides of wisdom, and many spend their remaining time in prayer. There can be different circumstances too that makes one choose a monastic life, but retirement is the most common. It is customary for those who take such holy vows to shave their head; to represent humility before the Heavens and leaving behind the trappings of vanity."

Theme #5Profile

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:05 am 

"I see..." She said thoughtfully, considering the idea. "I wonder if our religion will develop something like that... Right now, many of those who responded to the call to become imams are young."

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:20 am 

"Mm," Utsusemi nodded thoughtfully. "Monks and nuns are holy people, but they are not the same as shugenja, who are also priests - as they commune with the spirits. Are these imams like either of these, or different?"

Theme #5Profile

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:45 am 

"They're... somewhere in between. An imam is a priest, but they don't necessary have to use magic or commune with spirits, since that's very difficult. By the same token, I use magic and can commune with spirits, but I'm not an imam, or even a holy person... At least right now." She considers for a moment. "I may end up becoming so."

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:04 am 

She nodded with some understanding. "So, priests... who are teachers and guides, yes? It sounds like they would lead similarly cloistered lives as our monks do, who often take many vows that keep them from married life, indulgence, and luxury."

Theme #5Profile

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:45 am 

She nods. "It can depend on the imam and the place, as far as that goes. The Grand Mufti - the head of the religion - is a married man with children, for instance."

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:49 am 

"Ah, I see. I was a little worried that it might sound weird to you that our shugenja marry like all other samurai do," she chuckled, feeling a little awkward to have been worried about it.

"Shugenja seem to be hereditary, so there is often great care given to continuing such bloodlines. The Agasha, for instance, is the family among the Dragon who have the most shugenja. My husband is a shugenja, and my son seems to have the same talent too. Other clans have similar families that have greater numbers of shugenja."

Theme #5Profile

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:58 am 

She listened closely and nodded. "I see... I'm sure my own family used to be that for the Clan, at least for a while. I don't know how active that ability still is within our bloodlines, though..."

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:02 am 

"Hmm... it is possible that it is still there. I am no shugenja myself, but I have been told of one possible reason why it could be possible. The kami have much longer memories than we do, but are not nescessarily able to percieve the differences between a parent and a child... so the affection they have for an old shugenja is passed onto their child because they 'feel' like the same person to them. If that makes sense?" she paused a little to give Rukaya the chance to think about it. "So it is possible that the kami would recognize Lord Iuchi's bloodline, and that of other shugenja of your clan."

Theme #5Profile

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:37 am 

She nods. "That would make sense when you explain it like that. Thank you, Agasha-san."

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 2:33 pm 

"You're most welcome, Iuchi-san," she dipped her head slightly with a smile. "Even the ways of the shugenja are a mystery to me, but being married to one, I have been learning more over the past years... so if I can aid in understanding, I am more than happy to."

The thought that she was supposed to be wary around the Unicorn had pretty much evaporated, as in Utsu's eyes, Rukaya was just this tiny sweet little girl who was as curious as her.

Theme #5Profile

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:00 pm 

She dipped her head deeply in return. "I have a limited understanding of speaking with the kami, at least... I know others can't use the Seal in that way, so perhaps that is a sign that there is something left of that ability among us."

She can't help but let out a small laugh. "I like learning about other cultures anyway... This is all really exciting to me. And the opportunity to help foster understanding between our people."

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:07 pm 

"Use the seal?" Utsusemi tilted her head curiously. "I am not familiar with that term..."

Theme #5Profile

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:36 am 

"Ah, sorry... It's the way sahir create effects, mentally manipulating the geometry of something called Hakim's Seal," she explains.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:44 am 

For a moment, it looked like she was about to say something along the lines of that's nice, dear, but Utsusemi pressed her lips together instead first.

"I am not familiar with such a technique, but... thinking about it, it is the first I have heard of at all about magic outside of the Empire." If the Merenaese even had such magic was unknown to her.

Theme #5Profile

Page 3 of 4 [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next