Login FAQ  
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:55 am

Page 1 of 3 [ 56 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post subject: Volví (D4, EA)
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:55 pm 

Bellena walked up the steps leading to the entrance to the main house briskly. She nodded politely to the gardeners and maids that paid her respects with smiles and curtsies. Opening the front door with both hands she entered into the main house and smiled at the butler who waited near the entrance. His look of welcome surprise was met with a smile of her own. After exchanging greetings Bellena asked where the master was because she was on urgent business.

The butler lead her to Juanito's study and began to open the door before Bellena stopped him and nodded kindly, signifying she was fine from here on. She then pushed open the door and looked down the room at the man sitting at the desk. "I'm back." She said with a smile as she walked towards the desk and the governor.

Speaks: Merenaese, Mekhem, Yodotai, Rokugani, Thranish, Ujik-hai

DescriptionTheme

Post subject: Re: Volví (D4, EA)
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:37 pm 

Juanito looked up, taking off the monocle he used to study the fine print in manifests and smiled.

"Senora Bellena! It took you a while."

He pushed himself up, moving toward the decanter.

"Yes, I've heard. How could I not. How did it come to pass that you travelled with them?"

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:42 pm 

She smiled and bowed graciously when she got near, "It is a long story Juanito... indeed there is much to discuss."

She took a seat and let out a sigh of exhaustion, "I was hoping to beat them here... but the boat I traveled on was delayed at the port after it arrived... I was approached by Prince Jama's right hand man about possibly taking their tests to receive a captaincy at the same time... most likely not a coincidence."

She shook her head, "But whatever the case may be... he also mentioned that he had possession of the diaries of Agasha Kasuga and knowledge of the location of this island... So I had to choose to either try and jump aboard with them and appear helpful, or wait until they had departed and arrive well after them; leaving you completely in the dark of what was going on in the mainland and their intentions."

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:48 pm 

He filled the crystalline glasses with ruby liquid and brought one to her, clinking as soon as she gripped the leg.

"I feel like I need a crash course in their politics. Those things have been unduly distant lately. My dear brother's rants have made the topic somewhat tiresome." He tried to lighten the mood.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:59 pm 

She chuckled, "Unfortunately probably part of what your brother says is true, as unpleasant as that may be."

She took a sip from her glass and stretched her neck out briefly, "The head of this voyage is Hantei Jama... younger son of the current Emperor. To his supporters he is the 'future' of the Empire; the one that doesn't hate foreigners and 'progress'. His older brother Hohiro is known to be a staunch traditionalist. The problem is... that this Jama is somewhat of a megalomaniac. He feeds his followers visions of 'exploration' and 'colonization' out here with our isles as their main target. His true motive is different however, if I were to make an educated guess it would be to build up a base of foreign allies to bolster his support on the mainland and force his brother to either listen to his demands for the Empire, or take it by force if necessary."

She took another sip, "He is also the man who is responsible for our holdings being confiscated on the mainland. He used the workers we employed for the creation of their fleet as a slave labor force after we left. Then when their purpose was fulfilled he stood ready to abandon them to his brother... leaving them to be slain since they had outlived their usefulness to him."

She then took on an exasperated look, "And to add on to that... Lady Genjiko and Sadahako are dead. Lady Genjiko most likely was killed by the Mantis... allies of Jama, and Lady Someisa died mysteriously afterwards. Zazu has been put in charge of affairs on the mainland and has watched as the Mantis, Centipede, and Imperials have taken nearly all of our holdings for themselves. Meanwhile Zazu has developed a reputation for bad behavior and seeks to remarry and possibly provide a different heir. Saionji's absence from the mainland is used as a license to do however Zazu pleases... and conditions for us only worsen every day he is in control."

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:21 pm 

Juanito rubbed his forehead, sighing after he had listened intently with a deepening frown.

"Not that politics back home are anything more elegant... It's all going over my head a little, I have never seen how it is out there with my own eyes, so I have to rely on your judgement to a big extent. But it is clear we're losing our foothold there, and there must be a plan to regain it else the fate of the island will change dramatically. What do you advise then, in light of all this?"

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:33 pm 

She shook her head once and then tilted it, "That's hard to say... We need to get word to Saionji if possible... sending him to the mainland could be a trap with what is taking place there, but then again leaving Zazu there does no better... Jama's people believe Hohiro will try and ascend the throne this year. But anything that Jama creates as part of his voyage out here naturally digs into our share of the market. His intent is to divide us and our interests up... We will probably need to convene the triumvirate here as well. Jama has already started to target the greedy and base types like the Captain Xavier. Yubari herself is probably not immune to his promises. And if he has Kasuga's journals it is possible he knew of the Unicorn... and may be positioning himself to build ties with them. Nothing about his presence here is comforting... I believe he seeks to drag us into this contest with his brother..."

She then tilted her head the other way, "And to compound the issues... there has been an imperial proclamation... supposedly from the previous Emperor... saying that Lady Someisa is to be revered as a Rokugani Saint, and temples of her should be built across the empire. The first such location being here on this island... And Zazu volunteered me to lead its construction."

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:51 am 

"Don Salvador hasn't been heard from for over a year now. Last time I heard he was heading to Khanbalik and then the Jewel, but you know that. Nothing new." He shrugged. "I hope he's well, but there just might be a chance that Zazu is what the Tortugas are stuck with for some time." He took a dip, thoughtful sip and walked toward the open window to look at he vineyards basking in the midday sun. Mount Kappa defined the horizon.

"It looks like the landscape may change. The sleeping giant has awakened, and we have had our part in this. It's what I've come to understand from my conversations with Jose. This Jama and his supporters might not be fine people, and most of them must have been ignorant about great many things, but now that they are here they will start to see enough to rethink their approach to the world. So either we move against them right here and now and finish what the storm has started, or we learn to accommodate that they've become proactive. At least this is how I see it." Juanito leaned against the window sill.

"Are you sure you couldn't convince Padre Alvaro that this new Rokugani deity - I am not sure how it works, but let's roll with what you say - was in fact a late conversion to the Faith and died a martyr?"

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:08 am 

She paused for a moment, "There are good people among Jama's followers... I just can't trust the man. But I will do what the council thinks is best."

She tilted her head, "I'm not the best at bending the truth... Lady Someisa was a lovely woman when I met her, but I know nothing of her personal beliefs."

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:51 am 

"Then maybe let's play a little divide and rule since it looks like they are going to do so with us. But our deck is fortunately stacked well. We could show some favour to those good people and less so to the bad ones, and see if it works?" He turned around, facing Bellena to gauge her thoughts on the idea.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:04 am 

She nodded, “Whatever we can do to help them learn the truth... ‘The Truth shall set them free.’

She smiled. It was nice to have someone understand her scriptural references again. She took a sip of her glass and then looked up, “Ah! With so much to report, I nearly forgot... There apparently is a woman Jama is looking for. A rumor was spread at an important function that a woman was born to the current Emperor who is the senior of both heirs... the man who spread this rumor was harshly censured but still has come on the trip... I spoke with him and he refused to say who it was. Said I would be killed if I knew.

She paused, “This information is extremely dangerous to Jama and his brother... and leads me to believe that this man, who by all rights probably should have died for his loose tongue, is out here to find this woman... most likely someone he knew on the mainland who has since disappeared. The man’s name is Miya Edogawa... he took over for Jose in overseeing the building of Jama’s fleet after he was chased out.

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:11 am 

Juanito was a calm man, but he had his limits of momentous developments a day. He rubbed his temple to relieve some stress, and drank more.

"Am I getting it right, the rumour this man you mention has spread is that the Rokugani Emperor has a bastard daughter? Do bastards can inherit in Rokugan?" He sighed. "I think Jose mentioned that Miya. I'll tell my brother that he's here. Is this Miya a good man or a bad man by your call?"

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:23 am 

She paused, “I feel he is well intentioned... but confused.

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 4:58 am 

"Then I should ask Jose to contact him. Maybe he can give him good direction if he means well."

Juanito was supposed to say something more but an infant's cry from another room shut him up. Then, he chuckled.

"My nephew has lungs to not be ignored! Katarina is at her inn, and Jose is at the Plaza. The wet nurse is apparently not managing well enough." He put the glass away and rolled up his sleeves. "The uncle has to check on the little Sancho, it seems. Are you going?"

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:51 am 

She smiled warmly, “May I see him? He was so small when I left.

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:44 am 

"Of course. I am wondering when you'll have your own. No family pressure?" He chuckled as he led them outside. "I know I am a hypocrite, Bellena, forgive me."

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:52 pm 

There is a time and place for all things under heaven. It simply hasn’t been the time or place for either of us yet.” She smiled as she followed him.

That doesn’t mean the desire isn’t there of course.” She said with anticipation as she looked forward to seeing the child.

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:01 pm 

"I think I understand what you mean." Juanito smirked as they met the desperate wet nurse trying to calm the boy. "He's teething!" She was quick to explain.

Juanito tenderly took him over and made some funny faces. It didn't work outright, but he didn't give up. "Who has the ugliest uncle, huh? See this big nose? What a big boring nose!"

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:12 pm 

Bellena smiled gently as she watched the man try and ease his nephew’s worries. “And look at that silly moustache. It’s probably what scares all the women away; why not babies too? Huh, little Sanchito?

She extended her hands to gently take the baby and began cradling it in her arms. She stuck the tip of her index finger into his mouth and rubbed his bottom gums gently. She began humming a melody from church and looking down with a loving smile as she tried to calm him.

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:03 pm 

Juanito released the child into her care and watched as the feminine magic was being done right in that department with an appreciative smile under his silly moustache. It took a moment for little Sancho to register relief and stop from tensing and recoiling in crying spasms, and another to acknowledge fussing about the waning pain was no longer an adequate response. His hazel eyes focused on the lady comforting his gumps. With a small frown he began to chew on her finger and tug on her laces over her bosom. Juanito turned away, chortling into his fist.

"You're too good at this, Senorita."

Page 1 of 3 [ 56 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next