Login FAQ  
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:47 am

Page 2 of 8 [ 148 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next

Post subject: Re: Busy Little Ladies (D7, LE)
PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:01 pm 

"Hm, I try to stay afloat, but as you say, I am unfamiliar with the people and the places. Thankfully, not one of the languages," an appriciative smile to Bellena, "but here I do not have my usual connections or ties to call upon when there is something I need done."

Utsusemi placed her glass down, a reminder to pace herself with the wine.

"There is one thing... a more private matter for me, that you might be able to help with? My husband entrusted me with some of his work for possible trade of favours in this place. In return, he wishes for me to see if I can find knowledge on foreign weaponry, or other technological advancements not known in the Empire yet."

Theme #5Profile

Honour: Exceptional • Status: 5.0 • Glory: 5.1 (Lady of the Golden Moon's Words)
Faith: Exceptional • Status: 4.0 • Reputation: 2.7 (Lady Uxue)
Languages: Rokugani, Merenaese
Has: Wakizashi, flute, notebook (new), small knife, satchel (contains medicine kit and paint supplies).

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:04 pm 

She nodded, "That may be possible... what is it you have brought?"

Speaks: Merenaese, Mekhem, Yodotai, Rokugani, Thranish, Ujik-hai

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:11 pm 

"Remember the iron chest? It contains a sizeable supply of poluvora, of his making. I am no expert, but I understand it to be enough for at least one-hundred shots."

Theme #5Profile

Honour: Exceptional • Status: 5.0 • Glory: 5.1 (Lady of the Golden Moon's Words)
Has: Wakizashi, flute, notebook (new), small knife, satchel (contains medicine kit and paint supplies).

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:16 pm 

"And you wish to trade it for knowledge? Poluvora is always at a premium... I could talk to the governor about seeing if someone could see to your needs. I have a decent understanding of firearms and cannons... but I'm assuming your husband will be looking for some type of treatise."

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:24 pm 

"Treaties, or samples though bringing a cannon home would be quite a challenge," she said with a nod and a chuckle, but she also seemed relieved at what Bellena said. "I was uncertain as to its value in this place, but that it is at a premium is... interesting to know. If it helps, I am trained in how to create it as well, though not as skilled as him."

Theme #5Profile

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:28 pm 

She nodded, "It's a valuable commodity. There are always people who travel out in the island to collect guano for its creation... and to have some already in it processed form is always nice. I'm sure there would be someone on the island willing to take it off of your hands... I could help to see that the price in return isn't unfair."

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:35 pm 

"Thank you. Your assistance is most appriciated," she smiled. "See? If this was back home in Rokugan, I probably could have managed it on my own, but here... I am very grateful to know you, mi amiga."

And it felt good to have a friend too.

"You know now that I owe you a favour in return, of course? You need only ask."

Theme #5Profile

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:39 pm 

She smiled, "Your friendship is greatly appreciated... if not for you and perhaps a few others... I would have thought that all of the people on this expedition were lunatics. For there to be some reasonable people here to support me... is a great comfort."

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:47 pm 

"So I am among a privilieged few?" Utsusemi chuckled. "Good to know."

"I wouldn't call all the others lunatics, but rather... hmm... ignorant? Most of them are still young, they do not yet understand how actions have consequences outside of themselves. While I am pleased many of them see that the Empire cannot always remain as it has been, I felt too many of them eagerly wanted to follow the prince's wishes for blind revenge and violence." She sighed heavily.

"I can't believe someone he would call for the death of anyone related to Hawthorne, including children. A samurai should not murder the innocent or the helpless."

Theme #5Profile

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:55 pm 

"The Prince is under tremendous pressure... I'd like to think that it motivates him to do things he normally wouldn't... but there is a point where one's somewhat decently intentioned ambitions turn only to destructive and dishonorable behavior. One would hope that these other young people would eventually see that... but from my experience, people tend to believe those who are close to them rather than foreigners on most things. They are much more willing to accept the lies of one who is like them, than the truth if it is presented by a foreigner." She said with a bit of sadness.

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:59 pm 

Utsusemi nodded in agreement, a little sadly herself. "Too true."

"We saw yesterday how difficult it was for just you and Xabier to get your points across regarding the Tarkhanate. I am still a little in shock that a Miya Herald managed to draw their priest's ire... guess diplomacy is not the part of her training that was focused on."
She just hoped the incident hadn't barred off other attempts of diplomacy. "I was surprised that you and Xabier seemed to be agreeing though."

Theme #5Profile

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:06 pm 

She shook her head, "I did not agree with him completely... he's a fanatic. More ambitious than Jama in many respects... but with far less ability to act on his ambitions. On one thing I do agree though... the Tarkhanate are potentially quite dangerous. That is why there needs to be measured and experienced individuals in charge of all relations with them. People who have worked with them for decades and know how to cooperate with them, and still be able to exert leverage when necessary. The point I was making was simply that running to them with open arms and trying to get them to dance to the Explorers tune would not lead to the end they think it would."

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:58 pm 

Utsusemi nodded. "You do seem better suited to such than most others in the expedition... Xabier I have to say too, as much as I don't want to. Though, you already have much on your plate, we might just have to rely on him a little as he at least seems to understand the dangers. If we can make it seem like it is in his own best interest to not follow the prince's tune... then perhaps we can avoid confrontation with the Tarkhanate."

Theme #5Profile

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:05 pm 

She shook her head, "His goal is to create a conflict with the Tarkhanate that will lead to its destruction... I would not trust him with relations with the Unicorn. The heads of my clan have been deeply involved with the Tarkhanate for some time now... we have people in place who know and hold sway among them."

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:11 pm 

So we have an unknown stone for our Go board, she thought with some annoyance about Zabieru. At this point, the man was a potentially dangerous factor unless they could persuade him to act otherwise. Something she might have to look into herself.

"At least that is small comfort, we can only hope that they are not undermined or undone." By Jama. "How may I help so that you and yours can continue your work with them?"

Theme #5Profile

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:30 pm 

"That's a very good question mi amiga... and a difficult one to answer..."

She took another sip, "There is much that is taking place in the world which threatens to drastically change the course of the future... There are many within the Unicorn who see it as their religious duty to return to the home of their goddess and claim the birthright of her descendants. They are committed... and they are numerous. They will not be deterred... An unstoppable mass of change. The question then, is for what purpose will this force be used and in what ways can it be directed so that world scale warfare is not the ultimate trajectory? There is only one man I trust to be able to be able to maneuver appropriately and avert disaster. Seeing that he remains alive... and empowered... is the only way I see forward."

She put her glass down, "Allowing Jama to take the reins of international diplomacy and attempt to use the Unicorn and Merenaese for his purposes... is what I seek to avoid if at all possible. But I cannot ask you to subvert the will of your husband, the Imperial Prince... not when doing so would risk your life. Being a voice of reason, however, may be all that is necessary..."

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:54 pm 

Utsusemi placed her elbows on the table, leaning forward as she let her chin rest on her folded hands. She seemed to be thinking as calmly as she could about the situation.

"In the end, I cannot disagree that it might have been Shinjo-Kami's wish that her descendants and followers return to the Empire. So I do not think we can entirely steer them from that path. What might be more prudent, as a long-term plan, if we think beyond our lives and the lives of our children, is that their return to the Empire is delayed. That they will not return this generation, or the next. It will keep them from this conflict of brothers, and if possible, allow the Tortoise more time to influence the Unicorn - so that their return is not a war brought to the Empire. I do not see a better way than to make it seem to them that a return is not in their interest yet."

She picked up her wine again now, taking a sip. "A voice of reason... hm, I do believe I can do so. Though as you say, I cannot openly act against the wishes of the prince, as the superiour of this expedition. But... then again, revisiting our previous topic of knowledge I can bring back, that could possibly work in our favour?"

It might be a long-shot, or a stab in the dark, but right now they both needed ideas on how to proceed.

Theme #5Profile

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 6:59 pm 

Bellena spun imaginary liquid in her now empty glass, "They will not wait that long..."

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:01 pm 

Well, it was worth a shot to hope.

Utsusemi frowned. Nothing was ever easy. "I see... do we have an estimation on their current plans?"

Theme #5Profile

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 7:05 pm 

She paused for a moment before responding, "Very soon... Which undoubtedly is connected to Jama's insistence that the fleet sailed when it did... and not when it was scheduled to. He appears to know a great deal that he has not let his subordinates know."

DescriptionTheme

Page 2 of 8 [ 148 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next