Login FAQ  
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:42 am

Page 2 of 3 [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post subject: Re: SURPRISE DRILL! (day 8 EN)
PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:18 pm 

The Mantis captain looked dubious as he re-read the agreement

''By this agreement I relinquish my share in the Walrus onto the Imperial Navy, represented here by Asahina-sama. The reimbursement for the relinquishment is double the price of the share. By this agreement the Walrus may take ports of call in Imperial dockyards and ports without special notification as well can be repaired, outfitted, modified and manned with assistance of the Imperial Navy upon explicit consent of its authorities. It earns the right to fly the banner of the Imperial Chrysanthemum if the Captain or the First Officer are members of the Imperial Families''

He arched an eyebrow

''...he was a paragon of courtesy...''

Status 4 (5 for mantis and peasants)/Glory 8.4/Reputation 4.3/ Honor: What is expected (GASP!)
Equipment (visible):
-always: Double Kama, wakizashi, jade finger
-when appropriate: light armor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:25 pm 

"So, Gusai-san, what of this you'd like to change, and to what. Clearly, having a member of the Imperial Families as your First Officer has brought you some problems. With the Miya siblings following their own destinies, there are not many qualified and esteemed members of the Explorers who could fill that spot anyway."

"The roots of evil don't rest in Jigoku, but within the hearts of men."

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:57 pm 

''If'' he said

''The contract does not stipulate that I must have a member of an imperial family as a first mate, but that if I have one I can fly the Imperial Chrysanthemum as a banner.''

He crossed his arms, unsure now if things were truly going to get resolved

''And it is not the presence of Seppun Kaiya as a first mate that is the heart of the problem, even if it has become one, it is the fact that I am betrothed to her''

Status 4 (5 for mantis and peasants)/Glory 8.4/Reputation 4.3/ Honor: What is expected (GASP!)
Equipment (visible):

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 5:12 pm 

"Which I have no influence over. The Prince might, once he returns to Rokugan, and Seppun-san shall be returning with him, taking over some of my responsibilities by his side as in all likelihood I will continue east."

Yajinden mused.

"Without an Imperial First Officer you are unable to claim that the Walrus belongs to the Navy even as the matter of shared ownership remains, so for you it is all obligation and little advantage. As the Quartermaster I have not been too imposing in my inquiries about your cargo and commercial operations as I have long understood it is at the core of your independent identity. In this spirit, I am not opposed to making the charter more realistic."

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 5:19 pm 

''I could debate that point, Asahina-sama, for I know how loopholes works but I won't press the issue as I doubt it will get us anywhere conclusive.''

He pondered the question

''I have heard of something called 'a letter of marque'...a proof that a ship and its crew works for the legal authority of a given nation. Would'nt that work?''

Equipment (visible):

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 5:23 pm 

"A similar solution might work. However, for many it's too closely related with piracy which the Prince would not condone. It can still mean a freedom of offence against the enemies of the Empire on the seas. I'd be glad to listen to how you would execute such an authorisation."

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 5:34 pm 

Susumu chuckled

''Piracy? The Walrus is a nice little ship but has no weapons and can only hold so many armed men. I fear that any offensive action would take great imagination on my part. to perform''

He drummed his fingers on the desk

''But if I were to do them, I would mostly act as a lure...use the Walrus as bait to bring actual pirates into close quarters so we can acquire their ship. We could not do it against too large predators and would require to have numerous men on board...which is a logistic problem.''

He shrugged

''Another way would be to perform a night raid and use stealth to execute commanding officiers before an alarm could be sounded...but that would still require a number of men and utmost care for the element of surprise...''

He let out a sigh

''For now thought I think that mercantile endeavors are best for us. We can make good relations, profit and aquire intel''

Equipment (visible):

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 6:04 pm 

"Indeed. What the Prince would be more interested in is your continued support for endeavours overseas that politically benefit the Empire. It is very likely that once our business on Kameyama is concluded a squadron will be formed to sail for Merenae to resolve the matter of Imperial interests in that country. If you are willing to take that path alongside Miya Edogawa and others, I think the Navy could afford granting you full ownership of the Walrus and appending your authorising letters to include the Navy's support for endeavours of more daring kind, particularly against the Thrane in times to come." Yajinden remained calm. "This move would involve bringing your protege back into your fold, preferably as the missing first officer."

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 6:31 pm 

''Would'nt the Tharkanate be a better sailing target for me?'' he raised an eyebrow

''And I still don't understand why action must be taken against Thrane. If Hawthorne was a pirate then I doubt his government knew of his actions in Rokugan''

Equipment (visible):

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 6:41 pm 

"After Merenae, yes. But it there that a crisis is unfolding as we speak. Though it may be that you would be most helpful in shipping operations between the Tarkhanate and Merenae until this conflict is resolved, hopefully in our favour. They would be worthwhile in their own right."

Yajinden paused.

"Hawthorne had a letter of marque from his queen. He was a celebrated person in the capital city of Morriston. For all purposes, sixty years ago that country has declared war on us. It is only now that we can respond. However, once you learn more of the situation to the east you may recognise why it is a sensible moment to signal our strong displeasure with past Thranish actions."

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 6:53 pm 

''Was his queen aware or even planned his attack?''

He paused as well

''I know that history can get re-written to suit political needs and action re-interpreted but whatever truth there is I must ask: what is there to gain from a conflict with Thrane? there is much more to lose I'd think.''

He frowned

''Is it truly in the interest of Rokugan? Or is there some other reasons? The Tarkhanate is a far more pressing concern then Thrane in my opinion.''

Equipment (visible):

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 7:16 pm 

"As you say, narratives can be moulded to fit political needs. So I will not elaborate too much and let you make your own realisations once you enter this new world speak of. One advice though, you may want to start learning Yodotai."

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 7:29 pm 

''Yodotai?'' He shook his head ''We are drifting away from the topic at hand...So we sail to Merenae after Kameyama Jima. I am not convinced the Tortoise will make it easy for a Mantis captain.''

He shrugged

''By protege you mean Wataru? He he not the leader of the marines? Why would he be stationned on the Walrus if my ship can't hold his troops?''

Equipment (visible):

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 7:54 pm 

Yajinden smiled. "You may draw your own conclusions on both matters. I offer you an opportunity to have a Mantis ship with a Mantis crew to act mostly independently in foreign waters no other Mants have ever been, able to carve a destiny away from the long shadow of uncomfortable matters. I would say it's a good offer, Gusai-san."

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:00 pm 

''That is certainly true.'' he pondered the question for a moment ''Is anyone else joining my crew?''

Equipment (visible):

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:09 pm 

"Not by my order. I believe at least one larger vessel will sail the same direction as you."

He gestured toward the document.

"Shall we?"

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:12 pm 

''Very well'' he pushed the paper towards Yajiden and reached for a brush

''What is our short term goal?''

Equipment (visible):

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:27 pm 

Yajinden preferred his own writing set. He produced it and began to prepare it.

"We've accomplished most of the goals here, except securing the island against Thranish operations from a secret base Hawthorne had established. It looks like the fact that the area north is under the influence of some Spirit Realms makes little difference in this regard, as the evidence of Thranish presence within them seems to be indicating."

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 1:15 am 

''What Thranish operations?'' he wondered

''I have not been kept updated on what was going on''

Equipment (visible):

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:47 am 

"We have reasons to believe that some Thranish forces have established hideout north of here. Before we discover its location there is no telling if it's deserted or not. The mists here make monitoring sea travel very challenging."

Yajinden finished writing after a moment and presented Susumu with an annex representing the key points they had agreed on.

Page 2 of 3 [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next