Login FAQ  
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:32 pm

Page 1 of 2 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: First Real Meal (D4-EE)
PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:00 pm 

He had been discouraged from going into town. But at the same time, despite feeling just pure pain, he wanted to get some real food. The ship's cook aboard the Amaterasu's Grace was talented, but even he had a limit what could be done with the ship's stores.

Tempura sounded lovely. His hair tied back with a simple strip from one of the extravagant kimono's he had taken that was ruined, the maskless Scorpion found his way through the West Port. His pace deliberate, but his own desire to give that false front made him push through, a phrase he had heard one of the sailors saying... walk it off?

Entering the establishment, he was greeted by the smell of lightly battered and fried fish. The aroma of delicious food, and the sounds of people enjoying themselves. Yes, he had made the right decision.

Honor: Honorless Dog, Status: 2, Glory: 5.8 - Reputation: 5.2 - Benten's Blessing - Dangerous Beauty - Lechery - Evil Eye - Unlucky 1 - Language (Merenae, Mekhem) - Darling of the Court (West Port) - Courtier - Scorpion - "The Rose Whisperer"
Carries on person: Wakizashi, Tanto, Gaijin clothing

Post subject: Re: First Real Meal (D4-EE)
PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:06 pm 

Walking along the same street as the Scorpion, Bellena saw the man struggling to walk normally despite his best efforts. She sighed slightly, knowing that any sight of weakness was a potentially dangerous thing in the West Port. She saw him walk into the establishment and paused at the door for a moment before nodding once and walking inside.

After walking in and finding him still near the doorway, she pulled alongside him and asked, "Are you feeling alright Shosuro-san?"

Speaks: Merenaese, Mekhem, Yodotai, Rokugani, Thranish, Ujik-hai

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:21 pm 

"Muhaki-sama." He turned when he heard the woman's voice. A brief moment, his miscolored eyes took her in, settling on her eyes quite easily. "It would be a lie if I said I've endured worse. Being cast ashore, left me a bit worse off than I'd like." He smiled a bit, looking around the restaurant.

"How are you feeling? Hopefully you were not thrown by the storm. I had heard several of our expedition went over."

Honor: Honorless Dog, Status: 2, Glory: 5.8 - Reputation: 5.2 - Benten's Blessing - Dangerous Beauty - Lechery - Evil Eye - Unlucky 1 - Language (Merenae, Mekhem) - Darling of the Court (West Port) - Courtier - Scorpion - "The Rose Whisperer"

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:25 pm 

She nodded, "So you ended up on the beaches huh? Good to see you are alive. I am well, no worse for wear."

She looked to the shopkeeper and gestured to the two of them and got some visual reassurance before turning back to Anzai. "Here... you've had a rough day. Let me get your meal."

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:40 pm 

"I am glad to hear that." While he hadn't spoken to the Unparalleled Intellect before leaving Rokugan, her reputation did precede her. And, unlike many, he did not find anyone of gaijin descent distasteful. "You're very kind, thank you, Muhaki-sama." A respectful bow of his head to her, as they made their way through the restaurant. He was almost surprised at how busy the place was, but thought better of it when he mused on the nature of port cities.

"Myself and the Magistrate, we were marooned on what I've been told is called the Bay of Razorbacks. I almost went to Matsu Tonkatsu, but after meeting Oink-chan... it didn't feel right." He laughed a bit, short little laughs that didn't bother his ribs too badly. He needed to see a doctor. Maybe when he got back to the Grace.

"You're from here, right?"

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:41 pm 

She nodded at the last question and found a seat. She then tilted her eyebrow and asked, " 'Oink-chan'? I'm afraid I'm not familiar with that term."

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:56 pm 

"One of the creatures. It was wading in the beach. Doji-sama took to calling it Oink-chan. After the sound they made. It was quite cute, really." He slid into a seat across from her. The cotton kimono had dried, but it wasn't what he normally would wear. And it was something he would have to deal with the following day. After seeing to earning some coin, as well.

"Do you have any idea how delegation will be handled for diplomatic duties? I picked up a little Mekhem from Muhaki-taicho on the way here, so I could probably assist in any capacity with any of the governing bodies here, though I believe I would be of more use with the Merenae. My tongue is much more fluent there." He quirked an eyebrow, looking at the foreign woman before him. He did wonder how she'd feel about his kharmic mark, considering she was not from Rokugan.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:04 pm 

The woman seemed to care very little for any feature of Anzai's face positive or negative. She raised a finger asking for some drinks from the barkeeper before turning back, "Oink... I'm guessing you mean a jabalí, a wild pig. There are quite a few on these islands. It sounds like you found one in a good mood... they can be pretty territorial."

She then tilted her head slightly and considered his second question, "I'm not sure exactly how that will be conducted... I'm guessing the Prince wishes for each of you to be nice and create whatever bonds you can."

She nodded her thanks as the drafts arrived and slid one over to Anzai, "And in what way do you think you could be of service to the 'governing bodies'?"

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:19 pm 

"I'm a Courtier. I do well speaking with people. And, I am a Scorpion. I'm sure I could find ways of making myself useful to which ever body I'd serve in." He eyed the draft for a moment. He wasn't familiar with it. Taking the drink, he eyed the foam, smelling it. The smell of... fruit? No, or was it floral? It was a veritable bouquet. A cornucopia of aroma. He enjoyed the nose. Then, the first drink. Bitter, but... citrus? He held the liquid in his mouth for a moment, tasting the draft for the very first time.

"What... what is this? This is delicious!" His excitement was conveyed in a hushed whisper, but very much apparent.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:23 pm 

"A Merenaese and Thranish version of sake. Made with a different type of grain though. Barley and a mix of some other things." She replied with a smile. She took a sip herself. "It tends to go well with fried foods like Tempura."

She then leaned back in her chair and chuckled, "I hear many things about what the Scorpion are able to do... not all of them are complimentary either. Most of the Merenaese people here have a mind for coin and utility. Talk is cheap. They will say... what sorts of skills are you talking about when you say you'd like to be of use?"

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:34 pm 

"So they will need someone to act as an emissary between themselves and the Empire, should that relationship wish to flourish." He took another sip from the beverage, enjoying the flavor of it. "A clerk, a scribe. These are things I can do. Talk may be cheap, but there will also have to be some compromise on both ends to create a stable, peaceful relationship. Even an alliance." He flowed so easily between Merenaese and Rokugani, it seemed as if he had practiced this speech before.

He'd never tell that he had during the voyage.

"And I'd hope it wasn't all complimentary. Otherwise, we Scorpion wouldn't be doing our duty." His smile didn't hid a bit of mischief behind it, before he shrugged. "What would you suggest I do, Muhaki-sama?"

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:39 pm 

She shook her head, "I merely wonder what it is you feel your purpose is here. It seems many of the Explorers have very different views. I have no real suggestions."

She then tilted her head and took on a look of interest, "Let's assume the roles were reversed... That a group of Merenaese people showed up in Kyuden Bayushi and began to claim that your lands belonged to them and a working relationship had to be made between you and them in order to create harmony. What type of things do you think that your superiors would be looking for? What do you think their attitudes would be towards these people?"

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:58 pm 

"First, I would be impressed they made it that far inland." He had to chuckle a bit, before returning to the point at hand. "I am here because I believe there is something positive to learn from other cultures. Not to claim land that clearly was already inhabited."

If she thought him a colonist, she would be surprised.

"Were the roles reversed. Kyuden Bayushi would look for those with cunning and intelligence. Those who could present new things to learn, and would not be afraid to do what may be unseemly to succeed."

But as for how they would feel about colonists?

"They would not be keen on those claiming the lands for themselves."

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:11 pm 

She nodded, "Ostensibly this voyage has been sent to claim lands that are heretofore 'unclaimed'. Expand influence and 'culture' to the world at large. Even if you are here for knowledge acquisition, the same cannot be said of many of the Explorers. Including those who stand at its head..."

She took a sip of her drink again and looked over to the bar for a waiter, "And on top of that as one of the Clan of Secrets certainly understands... the value of information is almost priceless. The people here giving access to their systems of knowledge acquisition and merchant endeavors must certainly exact a steep price. They have clerks... people who can speak Rokugani... smooth talkers. What types of knowledge they don't already have can you 'present' that can pay that price?"

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 4:15 am 

"They don't have a Scorpion." He said it without a hint of arrogance or pride. It was just a simple fact. "I am confident that I would be able to find a way to make mtself useful, or at least show them why they should value my council." He set his beverage down, studying the woman bedore him.

"You sound like you almost want the expedition to prove fruitless. Or at least, that Hantei-no-kimi's vision to not be fulfilled. Why come along with the voyage?" It wasn't said with malice or inquisitprial intent. Just plain, simple curiosity.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:17 pm 

"I don't know if I came along for the 'voyage' per se... I needed a ride. And now that I am back, I am returning to my work as one of the 'governing bodies' of this island." She said simply.

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:06 pm 

"Aren't you the first officer? That's not something I'd call just getting a ride." he tilted his head slightly. "Ah, I see. Well, I'm sure I've just made a stellar presentation to you." There was a bit of self depreciation in his voice. A smaller chuckle, before returning to his beer.

"I wasn't planning on making demamds upon the locals here. We are guests in their home. And this guest is going to attempt to make himself useful. After I find a gift for the governors, get some new clothes worthy of the task at hand, and... apparently earn coin." He mused to her. It seemed the enormity of the task was beginning to dawn on him.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:13 pm 

"Jama had need of someone who could lead the vanguard ship and not have his fleet get lost... I merely filled that role temporarily. I don't ascribe to any of his ideas of 'exploration' or expanding the 'empire's influence'... though I suppose he doesn't truly believe in them either..." She said with a slight sigh.

"I am the chief advisor to the governor of the East Port. You've got a bit of an uphill climb if you're short on funds.
And simply being a 'Scorpion' doesn't hold much weight around here I'm afraid. You'll have to find a better means of convincing folks of your skill set.
"

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:32 pm 

"Well. I certainly will have to show them, won't I." He didn't seem bothered by the statement that being a Scorpion didn't hold much weight. In fact, he almost lpoked excited. "I enjoy challenges, Muhaki-sama. I wouldn't have come along otherwise. I look forward to having to prove myself."

He seemed to allow himself an opportunity to relax.

"My ability to ferret out secrets may be the key in all of this, for me."

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:36 pm 

She nodded, "Reliable secrets are always welcome. But putting yourself in such a position makes you somewhat vulnerable. Prince Jama is nothing if not a paranoid man. And right now the information that the governors are looking for would be on the specific intentions of the fleet. It's obvious enough that Jama is not here on a pleasure cruise, and we have figured out some of his intentions... but the means by which he aims to accomplish his goals are something he keeps tight to the chest."

She took a sip of her draft, "You figure out things like that... and the denizens of this island would have interest."

DescriptionTheme

Page 1 of 2 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next