Login FAQ  
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:31 pm

Page 1 of 2 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: Old Souls (Day 5, LM)
PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:55 pm 

After finding some apple vinegar and arranging for it to be delivered to Agasha Utsusemi, Edogawa sought out the church Agata had told him about. He entered quietly and respectfully, asking about Padre Alvaro.

Carries: Wakizashi, Rapier, Tools
Speaks: Rokugani, Merenaese, Thranish, Sign
Accompanied By: Nari

Post subject: Re: Old Souls (Day 5, LM)
PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:06 pm 

Padre Alvaro was easy to find, rushing to the orchard after the morning mass. He looked ancient but there was still spring in his step.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:11 pm 

"Padre? Do you have a few moments?"

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:17 pm 

The old priest squinted his eyes as he turned, trying to take in the face and check whether he recognised it. It took him quite long, longer that could be expected, as if he wasn't sure. There was some tension in his face before his features relaxed.

"Of course, Senor. How can a priest of Kharsis serve you?"

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:28 pm 

"I am a visitor to the island, a part of the Rokugani fleet." He explained. "If you do not mind, I have a few questions you might help me answer. Questions about the soul."

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:48 pm 

"These happen to be my favourite." The priest smiled. "Would you help me with the apples?"

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:56 pm 

"Happily." he smiled. "What are your beliefs regarding the soul?"

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:07 am 

Edogawa was handed a basket and pointed to a tree.

"This is a big question, Senor. Kharsis teaches us that every man and woman in this world has it, and that it is eternal and indestructible. Our bodies wilt away and turn to dust, but the soul remains, but until the day Kharsis can lead us back to Her Father through the Hole in the Heavens it has to find the right way through the world."

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:25 pm 

"In Rokugan." He moved to the tree and began to pick apples. "It is believed that the soul will live many lives, through multiple deaths and rebirths, until it has earned its proper place in the heavens."

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:41 pm 

"I've heard." The priest admitted. "We believe there is no life other than this one and no rebirth until the next, in Heaven. But some restless souls may linger in whatever world there is in-between and affect the living, especially those which have not departed in peace and remain burdened by their sins. They call to us to pray for them to Kharsis so their sins might be redeemed in Her infinite mercy."

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:58 pm 

"If you were presented with a man who could recall the experiences of one who had passed on, who had similar instincts and exhibited similar behavior and familiarity with things long past, what would you think?"

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 2:22 pm 

He squinted his eyes while looking at Edogawa for a long while.

"Then I would believe the man to be possessed by such a restless soul which wills for a second life to either correct his wrongs or finish what he has started."

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 2:59 pm 

"Would you support such a man, if he sought to fufill that desire? If it seemed noble enough?" He paused in his apple picking to focus his attention on the old man.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 3:29 pm 

"I would not refuse my aid to such a man, for this is not the way of Kharsis to deny a troubled soul, and two at once even less so. Her siblings committed terrible things but She has never stopped pleading the Father in Heaven on their behalf. No-one is beyond redemption and salvation. It is the way that is often hard to find, and on that way all err, kings and peasants, you and me. Whatever this man would think he is about to do that is questionable it may change still into something good and holy once he finds the light of Kharsis in him." Padre Alvaro replied with certainty that could only come from inner peace.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:25 pm 

He was quiet for a few moments, as he returned to picking apples.

"Padre, two souls who have returned to Isla de La Tortuga, through different means. One was lost and corrupted by rage and vengeance, becoming something dark and hungry. That one is dangerous. The other lived a fuller life, but I am certain he had regrets. I believe he would like to restore what he once had Not for himself. For his descendants and for those who once followed him."

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:12 pm 

"It sounds to me like the first one is very lost. But the second one, cannot it find solace in the works of his descendants? This is how one can best continue beyond their lives, by letting the children take over." Alvaro listened to Edogawa very conscientiously, respecting that much remained unspoken.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:25 pm 

"That is a satisfying and comforting thought." he nodded. "Tell me, Padre, what do you know of Teodoro Cornejo?"

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 8:41 pm 

The priest stopped picking apples, and turned toward Edogawa. "Much, for he was a man of my era. Too much, I fear. When the question is asked like this, I am debating if I should let old ghosts rise again, or have a part in their rise if they are rising already as I think they do. Especially that your interest is not purely academic. I could help you find your answers if they were steps on the path to Kharsis, not the pursuit of ambition and grandeur that doomed him, and brought much suffering into the world."

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:00 pm 

"I respect your beliefs, but I am not yet willing to leave mine behind." he sighed. "I have experienced too much to dismiss the idea of the wheel. If I am to live with the memories of a past life, however, I'd like to think there is a reason. Teodoro Alvaro Aljundro Cornejo y Gasset was ambitious and prideful, but that is not what I feel. If anything, the experiences I've had under his influence have humbled me."

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:17 pm 

"If you are not ready to accept Kharsis but are already humbled, I cannot see what else there is to accomplish. What truth about the man do you think could alleviate your troubles?" As Edogawa was looking at the priest, a much younger face overlaid the elderly features. Beardless, no more than an adolescent boy, perhaps a young man. The pious eyes were the same.

Page 1 of 2 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next