Login FAQ  
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:41 am

Page 1 of 3 [ 58 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post subject: Insight (Day 6 Late Afternoon)
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:44 pm 

Insight, Yasuhiro was looking for insight. There was no doubt in his mind that one day war with the Foreigners would come. It was a simple fact of life and one he had accepted long ago. What he needed to do, was ordered to do, was to find out how to fight them.

That's what at last brought him to their church, understanding a people's religion could help understand them and with understanding came victory. No real destination in mind, he patrolled the churches grounds, trying to find out how exactly these gaijin worshipped.

Honor: Exceptional | Status: 6.0 | Glory: 4.4| Infamy: 1.0 | Reputation: 1.7 | Notoriety: 1.1

Carries: Daisho, Kimono, Finger of Jade
When allowed: Yumi, Light Armor

Merenaese

Post subject: Re: Insight (Day 6 Late Afternoon)
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:52 pm 

Bellena moved about the courtyard at the same hour helping to pass out food and drink to the groups of people that were now temporarily sleeping in a little community next to the church. Her smile was bright as she handed some bread and a bowl of soup to a young boy who made a cheeky remark. She ruffled his hair and smiled as she kept moving around with a basket in one arm.

Seeing the Lion First Officer she decided to put down her basket for a moment and approach him to see if there was anything he needed. "Good evening Matsu-san. It's been a while. Is there anything I can help you with?"

Speaks: Merenaese, Mekhem, Yodotai, Rokugani, Thranish, Ujik-hai

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:17 am 

"Muhaki-san." He greeted his fellow first officer with a bow. It had been quite sometime time since he had seen her, and he was not surprised to see she had quickly returned to her gaijin attire.

"I was just having a look around, I've never had the chance to explore a Gaijin temple after all." He glanced towards her for a moment then around the area once again. "It's interesting."

Honor: Exceptional | Status: 6.0 | Glory: 4.4| Infamy: 1.0 | Reputation: 1.7 | Notoriety: 1.1

Merenaese

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:19 am 

She looked over at the building and nodded, "I suppose it is. Bit different from the ones back on the mainland, neh?"

She motioned for the central building, "Would you like a bit of a tour?"

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:49 am 

"Yes, it feels somewhat constrained? That may be because of the location though."

At the offer of the tour he nodded. "If it's not taking you away from Your day, I would appreciate that. Perhaps you could tell me something of this Carusist as well."

Merenaese

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:53 am 

She shook her head, "No, I have some time now. And it's pronounced Kharsis. Ka-ru-shi-su. What would you like to know Matsu-san?"

She began walking them toward the cathedral.

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:43 am 

"Ka-ru Shi-su." He tried to repeat the name as she said. "I can't say I know much about this religion at all, other then the name.... Is this Karushisu some type of fortune? Like Benten or Fukurokujin? The young lion asked as they walked towards the ugly building in the center of the complex. Given it's location it probably was a place of importance, but one could not be certain.

Merenaese

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:44 pm 

"That's one way to think of it, yes. But they don't have the same list of deities in their belief system that Rokugani's do. Kharsis is important to them because they see her as the means by which they can travel to Tengoku after their life has passed. She is a Goddess of Compassion and Mercy." She replied as they stepped inside the threshold of the chapel.

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:32 pm 

He raised an eyebrow at that, his eyes going wide for a moment. There was a great amount of Hubris among these gaijin apparently. "I could believe they all might wish to find a way to Yomi through their Kami but are you saying they all wish to rise to the status of Fortunes with their death?"

"How can they expect to achieve this when they already expect Karushisu-no-kami to purge their Karma for them?"

Merenaese

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:00 pm 

She paused as they walked inside the chapel and looked up at the walls, "Hmmm... If I were to explain it simply... They believe in negative karma as well. Something they would refer to as 'sin'. If you do bad things then eventually you will receive the consequences waiting those 'sinful' actions. A life of 'sinful' actions accrues a substantial amount that must be repaid in one form or another. Much like karma. What they believe, however, is that Kharsis can serve as a Mediator between the price of sins and the individual."

She put her hands behind her back, "Say for example one were to occur a debt. They could live freely as they choose, but would one day have to repay that debt when the terms expired. A man who cannot pay his debts will receive a harsh punishment established by the Lender to recoup the payment incurred by the debtor... unless there is a Mediator who will step in and pay that debt on their behalf. In exchange for this mercy, the Mediator chooses to set new terms... ones that may be difficult and require the individual to change the patterns of their behavior. But if they follow the Mediator's path they too can one day be exempt from the debt that they owe."

She pointed to a picture of Kharsis' Passion on the wall, "Believers of Kharsis think that Kharsis paid an eternal and overwhelming price of suffering for all mankind. She paid the prices of sin for everyone who will ever live. Essentially she suffered beyond that which any human could possibly suffer on their own, and stands in a unique position to absolve others of the karma or sin that they have accrued because she has already paid that price for them. Because she is a compassionate being, she extends an invitation to all people... if people will follow her path; do the things she asks them to do... then they too can take her on as their Mediator. Often her followers will call her their 'Redeemer', one who raises people up out of suffering."

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:47 pm 

"Interesting." Yasuhiro offered with a nod. "So living in sin is such a common occurrence in Gaijin lands that one must seek the aide of this Karushisu, or you will never be able to clear your Karma and make it to Yomi?" He asked, you could likely tell he wasn't trying to be offensive, at least purposefully so.

"Could you perhaps tell me some about this path one must follow to earn her mercy?"

Merenaese

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:56 pm 

She nodded, "I would suggest that the more religious individuals in Rokugan have a similar understanding of living in sin. The vast majority of people have to be reborn hundreds of times in order to escape from the 'realms of suffering' as they put it... meaning that during each of their lives they had accrued some measure of 'sin' or negative kharma which prevented them from progressing on."

She then moved on to the second question, "Kharsis' teachings and those of her immediate followers in the time of her life define that path far better than I can. They are contained in a set of scriptures that their priests use in their sermons; not unlike the Tao of Shinsei, or other family related texts held sacred by people in Rokugan. The basic concepts revolve around compassion and care for those who are less fortunate. As well as learning to be able to control one's more negative impulses and proactively choosing good deeds over vices."

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:30 am 

It didn't make a lot of sense at least to the Lion, but then these gaijin seldom made sense to him. "I might spare the time to peruse these texts if my mastery of Merenaese waa better, as it were I'll have to listen to what others say about these matters."

"There was another mentioned though that had me curious. The vengeful sea, I believe it was called. How does this one interact in the beliefs of these people?"

Merenaese

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 3:05 am 

She nodded, "I could help set up some meetings with the Priest here if you'd like. He's a kind man who would be willing to talk about the specifics of doctrine with much more certainty than I."

She then tilted her head a bit, "The Vengeful Sea... how would I describe it... It is a kind of cult like following in Merenae. I suppose she would be something like Onnotangu where Kharsis is Amaterasu... One vengeful, fearsome and powerful, and the other benevolent, kind and magnanimous. Where followers of Kharsis tend to be compassionate and seek to be peacemakers, followers of the Vengeful Sea are much more violent. They believe in different types of ritual sacrifices to appease the deity they believe controls the sea. A rather unwholesome religion that is not particularly organized or codified in any meaningful way... a mixture of superstition and partial bits of scripture."

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:29 am 

"Can he speak Rokugani?" The young Lion asked, though he suspected the answer was no. "I speak a little of the Merenease tongue, but not enough to make any such conversation meaningful." It would likely end up just like his conversation with the young Gaijin woman.

"So another potential Danger then, from any that might follow his cult?" He filed the bit of information away for later. "Do you think there are many who would worship the Venegful Sea on this island?"

Merenaese

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:18 pm 

"I'm not sure if the Padre speaks Rokugani come to think of it... I will have to ask him." She said with a thoughtful look.

She then tilted her head, "Danger...? Not so much day to day. They tend to practice their beliefs much more at sea. Offer certain sacrifices to make sure that their voyage goes well or some other such thing. I would assume that there is a somewhat sizable population that at one point or another has some at least partial belief of the cult's efficacy... I do not count myself among them though."

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:58 pm 

"It's nothing you should go out of your way to do for me Bellena-san." The Lion offered evenly, he could likely manage matters on his own after all.

"I'm not exactly thinking that the sacrifices themselves are what make them dangerous. I was referring to the type of people that are drawn in. Thieves, murderers, men that give themselves over to violent activities. That type that for one reason or other can't commit to a righteous path." He eyed Bellena for a moment. "I never considered you to be one such person, it is nice to know my judgement was correct."

Merenaese

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:04 pm 

She nodded, "There is definitely some truth to your statement... Often those who are seeking for immediate strength will try and lean on destructive paths for immediate gains... such are the 'faithful' followers of the Vengeful Sea."

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:05 pm 

"I'll keep that in mind." He said with a nod. "In case I hear someone make a prayer or the like in that direction." Yasuhiro paused and looked around him.

"So what do they call this building? It reminds me sliggtly of a temple, I am certain they have their own name for it though "

Merenaese

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:10 pm 

"The compound is an Iglesia, or 'place for instruction'. This building itself is a Capilla, or 'place of worship'." She replied.

DescriptionTheme

Page 1 of 3 [ 58 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next