Login FAQ  
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:06 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Page 1 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: Conflict Rules [LE6, Closed]
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 1:16 am 

It was late when a soft tap on the cabin Haruka occupied after Tsugiko had moved out to live in the Floral Estates drew the Magistrate out of nocturnal morosity.

"May I come in, Haruka-san?"

Post subject: Re: Conflict Rules [LE6, Closed]
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:34 am 

Haruka quickly tidied up her desk and, lest she forget, herself as well. It had been a while since she spoke with her lady and no notice had been sent ahead that she was aware of. Putting tings in order in her proximity was a quick thing they taught back at the dojo to help one focus their thoughts, she might need her wits around her for this visit.

"Hm? Of course, Tsugiko-sama. Please, come in."

"Testimony in place of evidence has been one of the finest examples of our long-term social engineering."

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 4:00 am 

Tsugiko quietly entered, bringing a small package in with her. She bowed once the door were closed behind her.

"I apologise for the hour, in no official capacity no less. I brought you an omiyage."

She moved to the desk and placed it before Haruka.

"Something sweet in case you find appetite for it."

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:47 am 

A gift?

"I could not accept, Tsugiko-sama. The honor of your company is gift enough for one such as I." Haruka replied in a sincere tone. It was reflexive, the expected exchange of niceties before business along with the gift.

As the game of refusal with the gift played out, Haruka's mind churned at what could have brought Tsugiko here. Perhaps she finally found out about the arrangements that Miya had made?

"Testimony in place of evidence has been one of the finest examples of our long-term social engineering."

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 10:31 am 

"And yet the gift could remain with you when I am gone." She sighed gently, descending into seiza before Haruka so their eyes could meet briefly.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:06 pm 

"And while it may, it would diminish the joy of being in your company to equate a gift to your presence. I could not."

That was the last refusal necessary from her. Haruka waited for the final offer, then the business at hand could begin.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:11 pm 

"Then perhaps consider this gift as an extension of my appreciation of you I cannot otherwise express when I am not in your company."

Tsugiko smiled politely.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:17 am 

"That I shall do, then, Tsugiko-sama." The game over, Haruka accepted the omiyage.

"The hour is quite late, my lady. What has brought you back to the ship at this time and of what help may I be?"

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:47 pm 

"I followed an urge to talk to you. Because of my duties to the Prince I have not had an opportunity to thank you properly until now, for saving me from the dreaded storm. Arigatou gozaimashita."

Tsugiko bowed deeply before Haruka to express her gratitude.

[ooc. What was your decision about Mother of all Storms Tsugiko-related reward?]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:53 am 

"My lady, please. There is no need for this display, I carried out my duties to you as your attendant. Nothing less should have been expected from me in such a time."

Haruka almost seemed embarassed by all this. Not that she wasn't appreciative, but she was sincere in her words at this moment.

[Probably going to go with Kharmic Tie]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 12:20 pm 

"Even so, your dedication to my safety with a concurrent disregard of yours has left me with lasting impression of the spiritual profoundness of this chain of events. There are no accidents under Heaven."

Tsugiko straightened with a soft smile.

"Duties permitting, I would like to spend more time with you. The Prince expects me to to represent his will in local social settings. I must admit I am at times unsure how to proceed with people who are not following proper conduct vis-a-vis samurai serving the Emperor and yet we cannot criticise them for it too much lest we jeopardise the purpose and mission of the Imperial Explorers. I feel imbuing my thoughts with legal insights would help me transcend this conundrum. If you would be so gracious as to keep sharing those with me, Haruka-san."

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:31 am 

"I- well. Certainly, Tsugiko-sama. I would be honored to help you with your needs in carrying out your tasks for the expedition."

Haruka quickly rifled through Tsugiko's statement, looking reflexively for the pitfalls the may be hidden in kind words.

"Would we be having more of these meetings, then?" She asked, a bit of hope in her voice.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:31 am 

"My thoughts on the matter are we need to schedule at least a few, Haruka-san." Tsugiko corroborated the hope with a warm smile, then bowed.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:14 am 

Haruka couldn't help but return the smile and the bow, her initial apprehensions at meeting with Tsugiko evaporating.

"Of course, whenever it is convenient for you, Tsugiko-sama!" She agreed with enthusiasm, mindful of showing only the proper level of it to Tsugiko. She may have been beside herself, but she wouldn't spoil this moment by being anything less than proper.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:15 am 

"Tomorrow would be excellent." Tsugiko relaxed seeing Haruka's shifting demeanor. "There is this duel tomorrow and I'd like to understand its legal and moral implications for the Prince in the long term." Even as she conveyed the official reason, a smile accompanied her search for Haruka's eyes.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:51 am 

Haruka met Tsugiko's eyes for a moment but, keenly aware of their difference in status, did not look there too long. The smile was curious, but she accepted the friendly gesture for what it appeared to be.

"Of course, tomorrow then, Tsugiko-sama. I shall get my notes together for you. I think they'll make for some interesting discussion between us both."

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:37 am 

"Hai, such are my thoughts as well" Tsugiko looked away after the brief moment of connection. "Perhaps tomorrow evening, just not this late?"

She paused. "There is one more thing, Haruka-san. I wonder if you have noticed the uncertainty in some of the officers with regard to the Prince's decisions communicated today. About the criminal Hawthorne, and about the so-called Unicorn... I think you would have thoughts on this as the guardian of lawful order, are we under the threat of sedition?"

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:20 pm 

Haruka nodded in agreement at the proposed future meeting and also at not having it so late.

As to the subject of sedition, she frowned. "Hantei-no-kimi leaves much in the way of freedom of thought to his officers. It is necessary for them in their roles as explorers. It is well and good for them to think independently and have their own opinions."

She paused. "So long as it stays that way, there should be no sedition. If they accept that the word of the admiral is law and act accordingly, then all is well. If not, something will have to be done."

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:28 pm 

Tsugiko nodded.

"Do you think there is a good way to discipline them if they err without defeating that open-mindedness?"

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 7:07 am 

"That depends." Haruka said, giving the favorite answer of lawyers through the ages.

"You have to expect people to make mistakes when you give them freedom to act. If you punish transgressions aggressively, people will be afraid to transgress. They will be afraid to act without direct, specific orders that they could then say they carried out to the letter so as to avoid punishment."

Haruka frowned. "I do not believe that is an outcome Hantei-no-kimi would desire."

Page 1 of 2 [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next