Login FAQ  
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:22 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Post subject: While you rest, your enemy practices (Day -3 evening)
PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:06 am 

Despite being appointed an officer, it wouldn't do to let his skills get rusty... especially with the possibility of action on Jama's expedition. And so Kitsu Keiji found his way to Murayasu's Dojo to get some practice there.

Keiji's spirit was strong that evening, and his swordsmanship technique was flawless. His opponent, a junior student at the dojo, was soon forced to concede defeat to the Lion.

--
What's in a Name with 2 raises: Kenjutsu 49 beats TN30 by 19, 3 points earned and 1 FR for next event roll

Post subject: Re: While you rest, your enemy practices (Day -3 evening)
PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:31 am 

Among the few students there in the evening hours was a white-haired woman, wearing plain clothing suitable for practice. Wielding a wooden polearm, a replacement for a proper naginata, her movements were careful and smooth as she seemed to be getting used to the rythm of the weapon.

She took a moment's break to watch the Lion spar with a younger student, taking note of his superiour skill. Not that she was surprised that a seemingly older and more experienced man defeated a junior student, but it was still well done.

She nodded thoughtfully at the match's conclusion, thinking of what she could learn from what she had just seen.

Theme #5Profile

Honour: Exceptional • Status: 5.0 • Glory: 5.1 (Lady of the Golden Moon's Words)
Faith: Exceptional • Status: 4.0 • Reputation: 2.7 (Lady Uxue)
Languages: Rokugani, Merenaese
Has: Wakizashi, flute, notebook (new), small knife, satchel (contains medicine kit and paint supplies).

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 1:11 am 

The Lion exchanged polite bows with his opponent as their match concluded.

Noticing the woman observing them, the young swordsman turned and offered her a polite bow as well. "Good evening," he ventured. "I am called Kitsu Keiji."

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 1:13 am 

"Good evening," she returned the bow politely. "I am Agasha Utsusemi. Your name is familiar to me, Kitsu-san... ah, you must be the regatta-winner I have heard about?"

Theme #5Profile

Honour: Exceptional • Status: 5.0 • Glory: 5.1 (Lady of the Golden Moon's Words)
Has: Wakizashi, flute, notebook (new), small knife, satchel (contains medicine kit and paint supplies).

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 1:19 am 

A smile momentarily crossed Keiji's face at Utsusemi's words, but he made an effort to school his face back to a more politely neutral expression.

"I have that honor, Agasha-sama," he replied. "Though, if the Fortunes are kind, I hope to distinguish myself on upcoming voyages as well."

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 1:22 am 

"A seemingly talented man," she smirked faintly as she took note of his brief smile, "I'm certain you will. You will be joining our illustrious prince on the coming journey then, I wager?"

Theme #5Profile

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 1:29 am 

"Such is the will of my superiors," Keiji agreed, nodding.

"It should be a great adventure!" the young Lion enthused. "Imagine, sailing into uncharted regions, discovering things no one has seen before!"

He tilted his head and gave Utsusemi a speculative look. "You speak as one familiar with the planned journey, though. Is it possible Agasha-sama is a member of the Imperial expedition as well?"

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 1:40 am 

Her hand raised to her mouth to briefly conceal her silent laugh, as it was rather endearing to see the enthusiasm of the Lion samurai before her. "Yes, it does sound like quite the experience. All the new sights and mysteries that will be discovered."

"My husband is a personal acquaintance of Hantei-no-kimi, hence why I knew of the journey," she gave a slight nod, "but it would seem I am to join the expedition as well."

Theme #5Profile

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 1:48 am 

"Your husband and yourself must be important personages indeed, to be known among such exalted circles," Keiji said, nodding solemnly. The woman's plain clothing had made it hard to place her rank, but now it was becoming clear. "As trusted advisors, I'm sure you will be traveling close by the prince's side."

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 1:57 am 

She chuckled briefly, more because she didn't really feel important personally, considering how this almost seemed like the first time she'd be let out of the house after having done the whole marriage-and-children-deal.

"I am not yet certain of such details, but I believe it will be made clear before departure," Utsusemi replied. "However, I do look forward to the voyage. It is not often one embarks on such a lengthy journey, after all, and to such mysterious destinations. It almost makes one wonder how different it will be from here."

Theme #5Profile

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:30 am 

"I'm sure it will be very different indeed," Keiji said, nodding energetically. "Strange foreign lands, trees, animals... perhaps strange foreign peoples, even."

"Of course we must, ahh, make sure any such barbarians cannot pose any threat to the Empire," he added, as if remembering the party line.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:04 pm 

"Of course," she nodded along, not being one to tell the bushi that they might be paranoid. "As well as to show these foreigners the glory of the Empire; the strength and skill of our warriors, our great culture," her smile grew a little more at that, "and as the Kami taught the people of our land, we too can teach them to reach higher potentials."

Theme #5Profile

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:46 am 

"Indeed! We shall be a civilizing influence on these foreign barbarians," Keiji agreed, nodding vigorously. "The ones that we don't have to kill, at any rate."

"Perhaps demonstrating our culture is part of Agasha-sama's role on the expedition?" the Lion inquired. "You seem like you might be a person of refinement, if you'll pardon my saying so."

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:22 am 

"You are not entirely off the mark there, Kitsu-san, as I am an artisan," she chuckled, "being trained by the Doji and the Kakita, it does seem like a more natural role for myself, rather than fighting any gaijin that might try to attack us."

She gave a brief look to the wooden polearm in her hand. "My skill with weaponry is rather meager. My sister gifted me a naginata on my wedding day, insisting that I learn the weapon of a proper wife, but I honestly have to admit that it's not something I have practised much with."

Theme #5Profile

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:22 pm 

Keiji nodded gravely, pausing a moment to try to think of a polite reply to this startling revelation.

"Ahh... I am sure your sister must have meant well by it," he said uneasily. Even to him it seemed unlikely that a high ranking Crane would've done such an insulting thing by mistake. The sister must not have approved of the match, he thought.

"It is, um, quite proper of you to honor her gift by keeping up your training with it," Keiji added, attempting to put a face-saving spin on it.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:04 pm 

She chuckled warmly. "Oh, I am quite sure she meant no ill will with it. She trained with the Daidoji Iron Warriors, and we have oftened had our friendly bickering on our differences. The kind that siblings oft have. I am certain Kitsu-san have siblings too, and can relate to the sentiment I speak of?"

Theme #5Profile

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 11:41 pm 

Keiji smiled again, relieved that it didn't seem to be a sore subject for Utsusemi.

"Such things happen," he admitted. "I have an elder brother, myself, and as a shugenja Keiichiro is far more talented than I will ever be. But, if the Fortunes are kind, perhaps I shall bring glory to my family name in my own way."

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:07 am 

"I am certain you will, as you seem to be on the road to glory already with your previous accomplishements," she nodded, politely avoiding the whole shugenja-matter, as she did not know what the Lion's stance on it was.

"And honestly, order of birth does not determine who is going to be more successful or talented, Kitsu-san, seeing as how the great Hantei-Kami, the first Son of Heaven, was according to the legends the youngest of the divine Kami."

Theme #5Profile

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:50 pm 

"I am unworthy to be compared to such an august personage... but his shining example is certainly one to look up to," Keiji agreed. "One hopes that the Imperial Expedition might present opportunities to distinguish oneself. Venturing into the unknown is bound to present new challenges for us to face."

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:54 pm 

"We should always strive to follow the examples of the Kami," she said with a smile, almost a bit motherly.

"One hopes so. Many aspiring samurai's hopes seem to rest on the possibilities and opportunities presented with such a journey, but I believe that regardless of what happens, it will be an event that will be remembered." Her hand shifted the wooden pole around slightly. "But... in the meantime, we must prepare ourselves for the journey, no?"

Theme #5Profile

Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next