Login FAQ  
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:02 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Page 2 of 3 [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post subject: Re: A Guy and a Gai-jin (D12, LM)
PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:40 am 

She nodded, "I could see how it would seem so. The truth is though, that he and I have been associates for nearly 10 years now. There is a bit of political urgency attached to the arrangement considering the conditions of our day, but for many this has been anything but sudden. The man's name is Muhaki Saionji, Lord of the Tortoise clan."

Speaks: Merenaese, Mekhem, Yodotai, Rokugani, Thranish, Ujik-hai

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:01 am 

He had figured the man would be someone of influence, but the Lord of the Tortoise? This was disappointing news. The Lion didn't let it show on his face though. He had been coming to expect things like this. "I wish the two of you a loving marriage." Yasuhiro offered polietly, after a slight moment of hesitation.

Honor: Exceptional | Status: 6.0 | Glory: 4.4| Infamy: 1.0 | Reputation: 1.7 | Notoriety: 1.1

Carries: Daisho, Kimono, Finger of Jade
When allowed: Yumi, Light Armor

Merenaese

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:06 am 

She nodded gracefully, "I hope you'll have an occasion to meet him if time permits. I think he would like you personally. And I hope you would like him."

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:18 am 

His lips twisted into a wry smile. "I'm not a very likable man Muhaki-san, still perhaps we'll meet if time allows." Though he wasn't sure if he would like the man either. There weren't all that many people Yasuhiro actually liked. Perhaps it was a character flaw he had? It was hard to tell.

Honor: Exceptional | Status: 6.0 | Glory: 4.4| Infamy: 1.0 | Reputation: 1.7 | Notoriety: 1.1

Merenaese

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:30 am 

"If there is one thing that can be said of Saionji-dono... it's that he doesn't look on people the way that most others might. He's a good man, for what it is worth. Better than most I know of a similar station." She said with a nod.

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:45 am 

"We'll see what he thinks of me should we ever meet then." As it were only one of them could be right. "You said he's a good man though. If it's not asking too much perhaps you could tell me in what ways?" Good was rather generic after all.

Merenaese

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:38 pm 

She nodded, "He's a man of many worlds due to the nature of our responsibilities to the Empire... but he very much has a strong sense of who he is. He's a dutiful and proactive servant of the Empire. Thoughtful, contemplative, and loyal. He respects the contributions of his vassals, and repays merit with reward. He knows how to lead with virtue, not simply on rank... for that I have a great deal of respect for him."

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:14 pm 

"I'll keep that in mind should I speak with him then." He didn't like much the sound of being from many worlds. It seemed like something that would lead to divided loyalties.

"Those qualities do make me curious about what he thinks of Hantei-no-kimi's actions here after all."

Merenaese

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:39 pm 

She chuckled, "I can't speak for him... but it has been complicated... The Prince has a very strong will. Respecting his wishes and seeing to the preservation of the Empire and the fulfillment of our divinely bestowed duties can sometimes be a difficult thing to balance."

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:54 pm 

"Quite true, decisions that will prove even more difficult in the future." He frowned softly. "Bushido itself seems to be on the list of things he will sacrifice for whatever future he has in mind."

Merenaese

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:56 pm 

She tilted her head a bit in interest, "Oh? You feel he is opposed to bushido? How so?"

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:08 pm 

There was a momentary pause. "The words of one of the advisors. He expects us to sacrifice everything, even the code we live by, for the sake of progress."

Merenaese

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:28 pm 

Bellena shook her head in disappointment, "What does 'progress' even mean to people like them...? Wholesale and undisciplined change leads only to death, destruction, and disharmony. Times are indeed changing, people need to adapt in certain areas to these changes, that is for certain... but the Empire also needs to make sure that its virtues are part of the equation. And that ultimately ensure that it is the values of the Empire that will prevail and bring harmony to this new configuration we find ourselves in. That which is good and productive can be incorporated, but not without comprehending what it is that we are shooting for. 'Progress' is not a linear thing, it is simply a choice... what are you willing to give up to get something else?"

She nodded once as she put the gunpowder she had purchased safely in her bag. "I understand your apprehension and doubts quite well. These questions do not have easy answers either..."

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:16 am 

That recieved a half smile. "It seemed to me after talking with Asahina-sama, that he saw progress as the path they wanted us on. That they would accept no other."

"Of course I could always have misunderstood, but they seemed pretty clear." He shook his head.

"You are right, there will be difficult decisions ahead for all of us."

Merenaese

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:23 am 

“Their ‘progress’ is not the only progress, I assure you.” She said with a nod.

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:07 am 

"I know, but it informs me of the path my clan may need to take in the near future. If the Prince is the one to seize the throne." There was always a path forward, even if one had to forge it for themselves.

Merenaese

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:17 am 

She nodded, "I hope the good people of your clan and others of a more conservative bent would be there to help reel in his excesses where possible."

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:45 am 

That caused a light chuckle. "No one here listens to me Muhaki-san. I don't fit in their pretty picture of the future. Where all of us are at peace, and we respect each other's ideals. Something I find to be impossible."

"The same goes for my clan, we have overstepped ourselves and are despised throughout the empire. It's understandable though all things considered . The Kami knows the Imperials hardly follow bushido as is. The won't even duel when directly insulted."

Merenaese

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:08 am 

She nodded empathetically, "I understand the feeling of being ignored quite well. If your opponents are truly dedicated to the concept of mutual respect... then excluding you from that image is hypocrisy. I tend to be an advocate for peace when possible, but contention is a natural part of life. I would personally prefer intellectual contestation to be the first recourse among civilized people. Persuasion and argumentation should precede violence. When communication breaks down is when there is violence. To ignore the arguments and perspectives you bring entirely and cut you off from contesting with them through courteous means is unacceptable. It drives you towards having to make your feelings known through violence. In my view of a functional empire... you and your family wouldn't be excluded from anything."

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:40 am 

Therewas a small pause before the Lion spoke. "I mean no offense, though you will likely take it as one."

"But, it's a sorrowful twist of fate that had you born a gaijin, and worshipping a cruel Gaijin god. Still you make me wonder if there is a path forward that does not mean the destruction of one of the two ways of life."

"As you know our ways and do your best to live them, something that none of the Unicorn I've met have come close to accomplishing. Despite the face they were once our cousins."

Merenaese

Page 2 of 3 [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next