Login FAQ  
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:32 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour

Page 1 of 5 [ 82 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post subject: [A3 Rooster 23] Becalmed
PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:34 pm 

Kenzo leaned against the railing, looking off the side of the ship. The sun was just beginning to set. At sea, this meant that it still had some way to go before it would set entirely. Beautiful, but almost dizzying, the reflected light seeming to go on forever.

Activity was low at this time, especially with the wind so still. And Kenzo had managed to find a somewhat quiet corner of the ship. But, of course, somewhat quiet was not the same as quiet. He grimaced as a pair of sailors passed close by.

So much open space, and yet it still felt so claustrophobic. Sleeping was difficult, as his slightly worn appearance and the dark circles under his eyes showed. With a sigh, Kenzo tugged at his collar as he looked back out at the still sea.

Seasickness, stamina, VP spent: 4d10o10k4 25

Attended House of Dawning Light
Sturdy clothing, daisho, traveling pack, ink brush kit, fan. Pistols when not ridiculously inappropriate.

Post subject: Re: [A3 Rooster 23] Becalmed
PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:43 pm 

The silence of the wind was starting to become a bit overbearing, even if it meant the ship was not bouncing up and down on the waves. She knew that the further out to sea they got, the harsher the weather could be, as she had been told that the waters along the coast were always calmer than those out on the open ocean.

But with the lack of wind halting the fleet's progress, being on the ship felt like being caged compared to before when there was always movement or something new. So there was little else to do than to walk around the ship.

The sight of the sun setting was beautiful, but the scenery featured something that made her soul dare to rise with some happiness. "Kenzo-san," she said softly, moving up beside him, looking at him before turning her head to gaze out at the horizon. "... Beautiful, isn't it?"

---

Sea-sickness roll 23rd of the Month. Void for luck and pleeeease Orokos!: 3d10o10 22
Hah! Take that, ocean! 1/3 passed!

Theme #5Profile

Honour: Exceptional • Status: 5.0 • Glory: 5.1 (Lady of the Golden Moon's Words)
Faith: Exceptional • Status: 4.0 • Reputation: 2.7 (Lady Uxue)
Languages: Rokugani, Merenaese
Has: Wakizashi, flute, notebook (new), small knife, satchel (contains medicine kit and paint supplies).

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:52 pm 

The setting of the sun signaled Bellena's rise from sleep. She walked out onto the deck and stretched her neck a bit as she tried to find her sea-feet unsuccessfully. Sea-sickness was always most evident after she would wake up, it had always been like that. She found a spot on the deck near Kenzo and looked out to the horizon to try and ease it a bit. As she sat there, her mind wandered to thoughts of what was waiting out there for them...

----

OOC: Seasick Round 2

Edit: With GM change to roll she passes this one too.

Last edited by Muhaki Berena on Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Speaks: Merenaese, Mekhem, Yodotai, Rokugani, Thranish, Ujik-hai

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:04 pm 

The soft step from behind didn't especially alert Kenzo; there were often people moving around, after all. But the sound of Utsu's voice made him straighten, half-turning. His smile was a little subdued, but the light in his eyes was not.

"Utsu-sama." He said, his voice equally soft. At her words, he turned back, looking out over the ocean once more. "Very. I've never seen anything like it on land." He was silent for a few moments, his expression thoughtful.

His gaze turned back to her, a hint of a smile on his lips, his spirit already rising. "And how are you finding shipboard life? Now that we're a week in."

A quick glance around, and he spotted Berena. Kenzo gave Utsu a quick wry glance, his lips twisting.

Sturdy clothing, daisho, traveling pack, ink brush kit, fan. Pistols when not ridiculously inappropriate.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:12 pm 

Utsu glanced over to Berena as well, mentally taking note of the gaijin attire the woman wore. A part of her wanted to recoil over how scandalous it seemed to be, but... well, after having been out at sea for a little while now, she could certainly see the benefits to certain aspects of it. Though the woman did not seem to be concerned with how much of her skin would be tanned. (Praise Agasha alchemy for giving her something that protected her skin from the worst of it)

"It is... unusual, but I think I am adjusting well." Which was probably true. Now that she had tasks to focus on, it helped her not to lapse into melancholy too often, and having a dear friend nearby did also help. "And you?"

Theme #5Profile

Honour: Exceptional • Status: 5.0 • Glory: 5.1 (Lady of the Golden Moon's Words)
Has: Wakizashi, flute, notebook (new), small knife, satchel (contains medicine kit and paint supplies).

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:25 pm 

Kenzo chuckled. "Yes. Unusual. That's certainly true. It's so different from life on land. I love the sights, and the sea air, and the birds and fish."

He let out a slow breath. "But I do find myself missing the mountains, the forests. The privacy." He gave her another wry smile. "Still! A fascinating experience."

His expression softened as he looked at her. "And... I'm very glad you're adjusting, Utsu-sama." He said, his voice soft. After a moment, he cleared his throat. "Ah... what sort of things have you been doing?" He'd seen her from time to time, of course, enough for a smile here, a glance there, but not often more than that.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:59 pm 

"Yes, the privacy," she chuckled, glancing at him before looking back to the scenic view of the sunset. "It is rather cramped on a ship, it seems, but I suppose that will only make it even better when we reach the destination? It is a little unusual to be so close to everyone, and feeling like there is nowhere to go..."

Utsu sighed wistfully. "Not as much as everyone else seems to be doing, but I think I am finding my place in trying to keep things going smoothly. And learning things here and there, as I also sneak a few moments occassionally to paint some of the sights. What of yourself?"

Theme #5Profile

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:10 pm 

"Nowhere to go, yes." Kenzo sighed. "For my expeditions, it's usually only me, and I choose where to go. Somehow I thought this would be similar." He chuckled. "I think I must not have thought it through."

He glanced at her, his smile growing just a little. "But you're quite right, it will be much better when we reach our destination. I find myself looking forward to it, Utsu-sama."

His eyes, dancing cheerfully, lingered on hers a moment longer before he looked back out to sea. "For my part, I've been working the lines. And training with the marines. They're good, but I can still show them a thing or two." He said, his tone confident. "I suppose, in a way, a ship is rather like an unusually large household. I'm not surprised you help keep it running smoothly."

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:14 pm 

"Ah, it is a bit like running a large household," she couldn't help herself from a brief laugh at that, "though with bigger children. Mostly more well-behaved too."

Smirking, she looked back at him. "So, you're going to teach them how to shout while firing their pistols into the air then?" She had been there to see him try for the Teppodoka command, so it wasn't surprisingly she would poke some fun at his little show back then. "Or wielding two-pistols?"

Theme #5Profile

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:28 pm 

Kenzo grinned. "Much bigger, yes. Although not all of them are as good at climbing."

The grin turned a bit rueful at her teasing, but certainly didn't fade. "It's possible that they have a few things to show me as well." Kenzo said, laughing softly. "Usually, when I'm firing my pistols into the air, it's just two pistols, and only me yelling, not a whole unit."

He looked at her, still smiling. "But the yelling is important. It's one of the better ways to show my boldness." His eyes flicked to the side, his lips closing on the rest of his words.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:31 pm 

Bellena couldn't help but chuckle once through her nose as the lack of wind allowed for easy hearing on the deck. She shook her head in a good mannered fashion and then pulled out a book from her pack and some parchment. She began reading the book and make notes on her parchment.

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:39 pm 

Utsu brought a hand to her mouth as she held back her own laughter. "I will have to remember that if I'm ever going to fire a pistol then." Not that she was usually one for yelling or raising her voice.

"If the yelling is anything to go by, Yoshi-kun will be great with a firearm as well as being a master-climber. Little boys are surprisingly loud... at least he is compared to Tsucchan." In that regard, her children were like night and day in differences; Yoshi being loud and energetic as if his little body just couldn't contain all the excitement he had, and Tsumugi being quiet and reserved for a child her age.

Theme #5Profile

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:51 pm 

As they'd been speaking, Kenzo had been shifting minutely closer to Utsusemi. Hearing Berena's chuckle, though, he shifted away again, even as he joined in her laughter.

He gave her a smile, edged with a tinge of sympathy. "I'm sure he will." Kenzo said. "He's very smart. Always asking questions. Although Tsucchan studies things so carefully, especially for how young she is." His smile grew fond, remembering.

His eyebrows went up. "Would you like to try it? Firing a pistol? It's rather... I would say, invigorating. I would assist, of course."

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:55 pm 

"Ah, I..." she hesitated. Not because she was unfamiliar with it, but more in that she knew all too well the dangers of gunpowder, as it was one of the secrets her husband had taught her early on. Probably because if she truly understood how it worked, she would never underestimate its potential danger if handled incorrectly.

"... Maybe when the crew is not calming down for the day?" she raised her voice with an unspoken interest in trying it. "If you assist, that is, as I've not tried it before."

Theme #5Profile

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:59 pm 

Bellena smirked and shook her head slightly as she continued her translation work.

I don't think that's the pistol he was referring to...

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:05 pm 

"Ah..." Kenzo subsided a little. "I suppose you're right. Nothing like settling down for the evening, and having a gunpowder weapon go off. Not to mention the yelling." He gave her a smirk. "You were planning on yelling, weren't you, Utsu-sama?"

"But yes." He nodded. "Another time. Perhaps when drills are going on, so no one notices a few extra shots. And I'll do all the preparation, of course." He grinned. "I think you'll enjoy it."

He was, of course, completely unaware of Berena's lewd thoughts.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:08 pm 

The unrelenting assault of double entendre was too much for Bellena as a full-blown smile crossed her lips along with a release of air from her nose. She quickly got control of herself, but her stomach twitched a couple of times suppressing laughs and a smirk remained on her lips as her eyes dug into the book.

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:34 pm 

The corner of Utsu's mouth twitched slightly as she was picking up on the possible double-entendres Kenzo were saying... and she had a hard time telling if he was saying it intentionally or not.

Her face flushed slightly. "I..." a brief stutter, "...maybe?" She wasn't sure if she would protest against yelling or not. Even if she knew she probably would not yell. In the lewd-sense or non-lewd-sense.

Clearing her throat, she composed herself a little more. "So, ah, is it difficult to use a firearm?" Even a Doji-trained courtier could flub a conversation topic from time to time it seemed.

Theme #5Profile

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:37 pm 

A woman with two kids... I thought you would have a grasp of the concept by now.

Bellena's smirk just stayed on her lips as she continued to work.

DescriptionTheme

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:46 pm 

Kenzo's forehead lightly creased at Berena's laughter, and then a little more at Utsu's stutter. It was clear when he realized exactly what the problem was by the sudden widening of his eyes, and the flush in his cheeks. "Oh, heh, well.." He looked back out to sea, chuckling. "Perhaps the yelling isn't so important. Or... leave that part to me." That time, it was even harder to tell which way he meant it.

He shook his head, his flush fading. "Not at all. It's all about patience. Control. And a steady grip is more important than strength. In many ways, I find it similar to painting, although perhaps a bit more methodical." He inclined his head. "I am sure you would do very well at it, Utsu-sama."

Page 1 of 5 [ 82 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next